Author Topic: The Orville - Season 2  (Read 8801 times)

Offline sanman

• Liked: 1312
  • Likes Given: 8
The Orville - Season 2
« on: 07/24/2018 11:41 am »
Here's the preview:

Should be coming in late December. Apparently, there's a new character joining the cast, too.
« Last Edit: 07/24/2018 11:41 am by sanman »

Offline demonslayer

• India
  • Liked: 6
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: The Orville - Season 2
« Reply #1 on: 07/28/2018 02:57 am »
Is this series similar to Dark matter?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Offline spacenut

• East Alabama
  • Liked: 2587
  • Likes Given: 2895
« Reply #2 on: 07/28/2018 01:17 pm »
It is actually more like Star Trek but has a lot of comedy. 

Offline edkyle99

• Expert
    • Space Launch Report
  • Liked: 8566
  • Likes Given: 1356
« Reply #3 on: 07/28/2018 01:55 pm »
Speculation in the industry that Halston Sage (Lieutenant Alara Kitan) may not appear much in Season 2.  She was shooting a movie at the same time that The Orville was filming.   

- Ed Kyle

Offline gladiator1332

• Fort Myers, FL
  • Liked: 7
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #4 on: 07/29/2018 02:20 pm »
Is this series similar to Dark matter?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

The easy way to explain it would be Star Trek TNG meets Family Guy, but I know the latter would probably keep some away. Just know for the most part it sticks closer to TNG - think of it more like a bunch of current day TNG fans are thrown on the USS Enterprise - this is probably how they would behave / talk vs the dry, proper behavior seen on TNG.

Offline Blackstar

• Veteran
  • Liked: 7828
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #5 on: 07/29/2018 03:00 pm »
The easy way to explain it would be Star Trek TNG meets Family Guy, but I know the latter would probably keep some away.

It is a Seth McFarlane fan film. He always wanted to play the captain in Star Trek, and now he does.

The tone has been all over the place. At times it was serious, at other times it was just childish and goofy, and at other times it was a parody. I think they could go with mostly-serious but with light-hearted jokes, but that's not McFarlane's style. It will be interesting to see if they actually pick a tone and stick with it for the second season.

Offline sanman

« Reply #6 on: 08/05/2018 12:40 am »
Well, the many moods and multi-faceted vibe of the show makes it more interesting and less boring, while making it harder to fall into self-parody (a notorious problem for successful franchises like Star Trek).

Offline docmordrid

• Michigan
  • Liked: 4207
« Reply #7 on: 08/05/2018 03:52 am »
We enjoyed The Orville S1-07 "Majority Rule", an episode which portrays the social media up/down votes gone mad.
« Last Edit: 08/05/2018 03:53 am by docmordrid »
DM

Offline sanman

« Reply #8 on: 10/31/2018 06:09 pm »
More preview material from The Orville - Season 2:

Offline Cheapchips

• UK
  • Liked: 861
  • Likes Given: 1931
« Reply #9 on: 10/31/2018 07:46 pm »
I've watched season one.  I was surprised by how entertaining it was.  The comedy is a bit too much sometimes, but it's a great love love letter to The Next Generation style sci-fi.  To a large extent, it's the comedy that lets them get away with doing TNG style stories. 

Definitely giving S2 ago when it arrives in the UK.
« Last Edit: 10/31/2018 07:47 pm by Cheapchips »

Offline sanman

« Reply #10 on: 12/24/2018 01:59 am »
Yes, that time has finally arrived - the time for Season 2 of The Orville!   :D

Here's a curtain-raiser preview talk by Seth MacFarlane:

First episode of Season 2 will be airing on December 30
« Last Edit: 12/25/2018 04:44 am by sanman »

Offline Peter912

• Toronto
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #11 on: 02/15/2019 04:13 pm »
 I didn't understand the latest episode. Why was Bortis responsible for what happened to the Moklin Engineer ?

Offline schaban

• Liked: 53
  • Likes Given: 132
« Reply #12 on: 02/15/2019 04:23 pm »
I've watched season one.  I was surprised by how entertaining it was.  The comedy is a bit too much sometimes, but it's a great love love letter to The Next Generation style sci-fi.  To a large extent, it's the comedy that lets them get away with doing TNG style stories. 

Definitely giving S2 ago when it arrives in the UK.

unexpected side-effect for me is that it actually hooked me on Star Trek. Was trying to get into it before Orville, but couldn't watch for more then couple minutes. Just didn't click.

after Orville season 1, was looking for a "fix" and finally got into Star Trek. Go figure...

also I see why fans of original Star Trek (all of them) not that hyped about Orville. See way too many lifted ideas and even screenshots. Still entertaining nonetheless.

Offline Blackstar

• Veteran
  • Liked: 7828
« Reply #13 on: 02/15/2019 04:40 pm »
I didn't understand the latest episode. Why was Bortis responsible for what happened to the Moklin Engineer ?

He wasn't. His mate was. His mate threatened to turn the engineer in to the authorities, which is what prompted the engineer to fake his own death. When caught, he was given the option of seeking asylum, which he declined, and so he will spend the rest of his life in jail for sexual deviancy.

Bortis has previously protected the engineer. He could have reported him when he discovered him years earlier, but he did not because he loved him. Note that this is now the second time Bortis has had a major disagreement with his mate, and both times it has been about how his society reacts to females. If the show has courage, they'll show real consequences to that.

Offline SimonFD

« Reply #14 on: 02/15/2019 04:48 pm »

He wasn't. His mate was. His mate threatened to turn the engineer in to the authorities, which is what prompted the engineer to fake his own death. When caught, he was given the option of seeking asylum, which he declined, and so he will spend the rest of his life in jail for sexual deviancy.

Bortis has previously protected the engineer. He could have reported him when he discovered him years earlier, but he did not because he loved him. Note that this is now the second time Bortis has had a major disagreement with his mate, and both times it has been about how his society reacts to females. If the show has courage, they'll show real consequences to that.

Beware spoilers as I don't think that episode has aired in the UK yet.
Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so

Online ugordan

• My mainly Cassini image gallery
  • Liked: 3543
  • Likes Given: 759
« Reply #15 on: 02/15/2019 05:24 pm »
also I see why fans of original Star Trek (all of them) not that hyped about Orville.

Not sure where you get that "all of them". I grew up on ST:TNG and I like the Orville. The show is pretty obviously a love letter to Star Trek and it's got that TNG vibe except the crew act like normal people and not those Star Fleet uber officers without any flaws.

Offline spacenut

• East Alabama
  • Liked: 2587
  • Likes Given: 2895
« Reply #16 on: 02/15/2019 05:39 pm »
I've seen all of the original Star Trek and movies, the Next Generation, Voyager, Deep Space Nine, and Enterprise.  I liked Enterprise best, followed by the original.  In Enterprise, they are discovering all the new races, and solving problems later Star Treks used, like Red Alerts, phaser installation, photon torpedo installation, radiation linings, to the formation of The Federation. 

I do like Orville, it is much like Star Trek, but a little more crude and dealing with the weird issues of today. 

Offline schaban

• Liked: 53
  • Likes Given: 132
« Reply #17 on: 02/15/2019 05:53 pm »
also I see why fans of original Star Trek (all of them) not that hyped about Orville.

Not sure where you get that "all of them". I grew up on ST:TNG and I like the Orville. The show is pretty obviously a love letter to Star Trek and it's got that TNG vibe except the crew act like normal people and not those Star Fleet uber officers without any flaws.

sorry, should've be more specific. "all of them" means all versions of Star Trek: original, next generation, deep space 9, enterprise, discovery...

Edit: figured where confusion was
« Last Edit: 02/15/2019 05:56 pm by schaban »

Offline Coastal Ron

• I live... along the coast
  • Liked: 10199
  • Likes Given: 11934
« Reply #18 on: 02/15/2019 06:14 pm »

sorry, should've be more specific. "all of them" means all versions of Star Trek: original, next generation, deep space 9, enterprise, discovery...

Edit: figured where confusion was

The problem with broad declarations is that there are exceptions - or who knows, maybe they are the majority. It's hard to tell without spending lots of money to do a real survey.

I grew up on the original Star Trek (loved it), loved ST:TNG, didn't like ST:DS9, did like Voyager, and really liked Enterprise.

I have watched some of the Orville and think it is a really good show, and obviously a humorous take on the whole genre. I don't watch it regularly, but that is because of other competing priorities, not because it's not worthy.

Hard to compare a modern show against something that is up to 50 years old, especially when even back then we'd laugh at the "special effects"...  :D
If we don't continuously lower the cost to access space, how are we ever going to afford to expand humanity out into space?

Offline Peter912

• Toronto
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #19 on: 02/15/2019 08:49 pm »

Sorry, I got their names mixed up, I meant to say Clyde and not Bortis. What I didn't understand was why the security officer blamed Clyde. The Captain of the Starship didn't have to tell the Moklins what happened and also the engineer should have accepted the amnesty offer.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography