Author Topic: FEATURE: After 26 Years, Workhorse Discovery Stands Ready for Final Mission  (Read 37772 times)

Online Chris Bergin

Amazing feature.

After 26 Years, Workhorse Discovery Stands Ready for Final Mission - by Chris Gebhardt.

http://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2010/10/workhorse-discovery-stands-ready-for-final-mission/
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline shuttlefanatic

• Launches: 61-C, 91, 100, 119, 133, 134, 135. Landings: 26, 28, 32, 36, 41, 40, 44, 42, 58, 64, 66, 67, 76, 92, 100, 124, 126, 128.
  • SSP MET 11056d 21h 57m Flight time 1330d 16h 18m
  • San Diego, CA
    • Final thoughts...
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
Wow.  Great article.  I think Chris B used the word already, but that was epic!  :)

Offline GoForTLI

• Taking LIMITS to INHIBIT since 1964
  • Houston, TX
  • Liked: 2
  • Likes Given: 9
Launching more times than any other space vehicle in history (a  distinction she will hold for decades to come since no spaceship  currently under construction, design, or research and development is  slated to fly more than 10 times), Discovery’s 38 – soon to be 39 –  missions place her firmly and unquestionably as the workhorse for the  manned space community.

Enjoyable read! ;D (Well so far, anyway ;) -- it's long enough that I didn't get to finish it all and have to run off to work.) 

Very nice words on OV-103.  I'm going to pass this one along to some friends. 
There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another theory which states that this has already happened. -- Douglas Adams

Offline Jester

• Administrator
  • Earth
  • Liked: 6533
  • Likes Given: 157
W O N D E R F U L

i'm going to send this around....BIG TIME

Offline Space Pete

Amazing work, Chris G! I dread to think how long you've been working on this! ;D
NASASpaceflight ISS Editor

Offline Gary NASA

• KSC
  • Liked: 4867
  • Likes Given: 67
That is why this site is the best, right there!

Offline racshot65

• Aaron Kalair
  • Coventry, England
Incredible article well done Chris !

Offline Ronsmytheiii

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 1879
  • Likes Given: 1023
some editing:

Later that year, Discovery flew the STS-64 mission, a flight that marked the first use of the Lidar In-space Technology Experiment and the first untethered US spacewalk in 10 years.

STS-64 also saw astronauts test a new SAFER device for EVA use. SAFERs are now a mandatory part of all EVAs (spacewalks) conducted by NASA.

SAFER testing was the untethered EVA, how it is worded here it would seem that the two were separate events.

Discovery returned several long-term US experiments from MIR via the SPACEBAN single module during STS-91. Among further note for STS-91 is the flight of the prototype Alpha Magnetic Spectrometer (AMS) – a payload via AMS-2 that will be permanently attached to the International Space Station in 2011.

Should be Spacehab

Also for STS-96, perhaps a quick mention that Rick Husband was the PLT?
« Last Edit: 10/28/2010 06:44 pm by Ronsmytheiii »

Offline AmateurRocketeer

• Georgia
Thanks so much Chris G!!  What a great way to remember this amazing machine.  And it was a wonderfully clear morning when I got to see STS-131 launch (my 5th and final orbiter).

Offline Space101

• Leeds, England
Amazing read!
Let's go and explore space.

Offline 2552

• Liked: 42
  • Likes Given: 522
« Last Edit: 10/28/2010 08:03 pm by 2552 »

Offline Commander Keen

• Liked: 1
Fantastic article.  A very enjoyable read.  A bit of a sad read as it points out all that Discovery has accomplished and this will be its final mission.

« Last Edit: 10/28/2010 08:42 pm by Commander Keen »

Offline ChrisGebhardt

• Assistant Managing Editor
  • ad astra scientia
  • ~1 AU
  • Liked: 7877
  • Likes Given: 853
Thank you all for the kind words. It was an amazing journey to chronicle Discovery's history like. And for those of you wondering, actual writing of this article only took me 5 hours (but that spread out over a few days due to illness).

Again, thank you all for the kind words. And good speed Discovery!

Offline Space Pete

And for those of you wondering, actual writing of this article only took me 5 hours (but that spread out over a few days due to illness).

:o

Well, all I can say is that you're much better than me!
NASASpaceflight ISS Editor

Online Chris Bergin

I created a Digg account just to submit this awesome article:

http://digg.com/news/technology/after_26_years_workhorse_discovery_stands_ready_for_final_mission_nasaspaceflight_com

Thanks! I'm hardly the biggest fan of social media, but I've been impressed and appreciative of the people retweeting and spreading this important article for one of the most famous machines we'll ever know.
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Online Chris Bergin

Thank you all for the kind words. It was an amazing journey to chronicle Discovery's history like. And for those of you wondering, actual writing of this article only took me 5 hours (but that spread out over a few days due to illness).

Again, thank you all for the kind words. And good speed Discovery!

Heh. Took me four hours just to add the photos and links :D

Offline Seattle Dave

• Liked: 51
  • Likes Given: 48
Marathon read, but so worth it. And great use of the images from L2's massive collection.

Offline Longhorn John

• Regular
  • Liked: 60
  • Likes Given: 130
WOW! That was such a great read. A very fitting tribute to a very fine ship.

Offline Stardust9906

• Global Moderator
  • Durham, UK
  • Liked: 57
  • Likes Given: 1369
Excellent article! Well done Chris.

Offline STS-85

• Liked: 6
  • Likes Given: 1
quick question -
You said that if the main engines light up, it's considered a flight, even if they're shut down as in STS-41D, and require changing out..

So after the FRR on 6/2/84, did they change out the main engines, or was that considered a test ? Just wondering about that.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography