Author Topic: Bulgariasat Coast-2-Coast ASDS Landing Bingo  (Read 367113 times)

Offline Chris_Pi

• Wisconsin
  • Liked: 93
  • Likes Given: 100
Re: Bulgariasat Coast-2-Coast ASDS Landing Bingo
« Reply #160 on: 06/23/2017 07:46 pm »
I might actually be close!  :o

Third time, I guess.

Offline ClayJar

• Baton Rouge, LA, USA
  • Liked: 1280
  • Likes Given: 126
« Reply #161 on: 06/23/2017 07:53 pm »
Is it too late to swing my pick up and to the right a few knight's moves?  ;D

Sorry, ClayJar. Falcon's landed.

That was actually the point of my jest, which I thought was ever so very slightly humorous and a convenient way of marking that Bingo had already closed, hence the smiley.  ;)

Offline whitelancer64

« Reply #162 on: 06/23/2017 07:53 pm »
*rough eyeballing*

Winner is near F-25 ish.
"One bit of advice: it is important to view knowledge as sort of a semantic tree -- make sure you understand the fundamental principles, ie the trunk and big branches, before you get into the leaves/details or there is nothing for them to hang on to." - Elon Musk
"There are lies, damned lies, and launch schedules." - Larry J

Offline CraigLieb

• Dallas Fort Worth
  • Liked: 1349
  • Likes Given: 2391
« Reply #163 on: 06/23/2017 08:01 pm »
I thought the rule was the stage has to make it back to port still upright.
 If it falls and goes boom it's no winner.
On the ground floor of the National Space Foundation... Colonize Mars!

Offline Chris_Pi

• Wisconsin
  • Liked: 93
  • Likes Given: 100
« Reply #164 on: 06/23/2017 08:30 pm »
I thought the rule was the stage has to make it back to port still upright.
 If it falls and goes boom it's no winner.

Relatively calm weather and possibly a roomba to help stabilize, So good odds on it staying upright and more or less where it landed I think.

Always time left to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory though. I'm going to just wait and see.

Online ace5

• Liked: 185
  • Likes Given: 62
« Reply #165 on: 06/23/2017 09:04 pm »
any idea of the exact point?

Offline Joffan

« Reply #166 on: 06/23/2017 09:17 pm »
If there's no octagrabber, the support crews will tie it down. Maybe they are open to offers if you want them to tweak it one way or another?  :)
« Last Edit: 06/23/2017 09:17 pm by Joffan »
Getting through max-Q for humanity becoming fully spacefaring

Offline pb2000

• Calgary, AB
  • Liked: 759
  • Likes Given: 237
« Reply #167 on: 06/30/2017 04:22 am »
Have we gotten any definitive photos yet, or is this going to come down to some clever trigonometry and image examination?
Launches attended: Worldview-4 (Atlas V 401), Iridium NEXT Flight 1 (Falcon 9 FT), PAZ+Starlink (Falcon 9 FT), Arabsat-6A (Falcon Heavy)
Pilgrimaged to: Boca Chica (09/19 & 01/22)

Offline Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
  • A large LEGO storage facility ... in Michigan
  • Liked: 11864
  • Likes Given: 11086
« Reply #168 on: 06/30/2017 04:25 am »
Probably the latter. Helodriver's pretty good at this.
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY

Offline Elektryk

« Reply #169 on: 07/02/2017 08:30 pm »
Any updates on this? I hope you didn't forget to choose the winner :D

Offline Helodriver

• Liked: 5971
  • Likes Given: 700
« Reply #170 on: 07/07/2017 03:53 pm »
Ok, so its been two weeks since the landing of  booster 1029.2 aboard the ASDS and SpaceX has not yet released any high resolution on-board still pictures or video of the landing. We know the melty grid fin debris covered up the rocketcam lens so that was going to be no help, but the usual camera angles aboard ship which are usually released when the ASDS returns to port would be definitive in determining landing position and the bingo winner.

Since that release of the obviously sporty landing imagery has yet to happen and after waiting to see if any aerial or high angle drone pix would surface of OCISLY returning to port with the Octocrab holding the rocket (none did) after that more than long enough two week wait, it was time to turn to the few seconds of video broadcast during the webcast to see if a position could be determined from the slightly elevated position of the video camera uplinking the action.

Indeed it could! Fortunately the leg footpads touched or lined up with the outer white circle and the position and the rotation of the booster could be surmised, knowing that the legs span a 7x7 game grid square pattern.

Geometric analysis then gives a result of F-26 which, being well outside the normal range of landings was not picked by any player.

However, the game rules are written that its the square closest to the center engine that gets the win, and just one row down and one row to the left of the landing spot is square G-25 which was the very last game square picked just minutes before launch and the closure of the game!

That means tinorex, who snuck in just moments under the wire (yes, I verified the very fortuitous timing multiple times just to be sure!  ;D ) is the First Two Time Winner of NSF ASDS Landing Bingo!!! The first booster to land on two different ships, in two different oceans, and the second to ever fly two missions yields the first two time winner! Kind of fitting and serendipitous actually!

Congrats on your repeat win tinorex and SpaceX for another stunning successful flight (Now give us the pix and vids! We wanna see the 3 engine gyrations and powerslide!) and thanks to all NSF reader and players!

ASDS Bingo shall return!
« Last Edit: 07/07/2017 05:24 pm by Helodriver »

Online ZachS09

• Space Savant
  • Roanoke, TX
  • Liked: 2343
  • Likes Given: 2056
« Reply #171 on: 07/07/2017 04:03 pm »
Congrats, tinorex!
Liftoff for St. Jude's! Go Dragon, Go Falcon, Godspeed Inspiration4!

Offline Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
« Reply #172 on: 07/07/2017 06:25 pm »
Yeah.

But also congrats to Helodriver for a pretty darn good analysis. Even if it turns out not to be right in the end (if and when we ever get vids) all decisions are final, I think....
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY

Offline Helodriver

• Liked: 5971
  • Likes Given: 700
« Reply #173 on: 07/07/2017 06:40 pm »
Yeah.

But also congrats to Helodriver for a pretty darn good analysis. Even if it turns out not to be right in the end (if and when we ever get vids) all decisions are final, I think....

Thanks, I think this one is solid and will stand regardless of what is released. :)
« Last Edit: 07/07/2017 07:04 pm by Helodriver »

Offline Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
« Reply #174 on: 07/07/2017 07:10 pm »
Yeah.

I think this one is solid and will stand regardless of what is released. :)

I was trying to backdoor a new rule in .. your decision, once announced, is final (or should be) :)

But no... you had to make a bunch of puns. Everyone knows this stage was standing but now isn't (per twitter), and that it's a liquid rocket. not a solid :)
« Last Edit: 07/07/2017 07:10 pm by Lar »

Offline GeneBelcher

• Colorado
  • Liked: 22
  • Likes Given: 253
« Reply #175 on: 07/07/2017 07:43 pm »
Continuing the trend of landing on the aft half.
« Last Edit: 07/08/2017 04:01 pm by GeneBelcher »

Offline cppetrie

• Liked: 552
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #176 on: 07/07/2017 07:48 pm »
I suspect the distribution of guesses will shift dramatically now that we have this analysis. Holy crud, that would suggest these were becoming educated guesses rather than WAGs. What fun will that be?! ;)

Offline GeneBelcher

• Colorado
  • Liked: 22
  • Likes Given: 253
« Reply #177 on: 07/07/2017 08:03 pm »
I suspect the distribution of guesses will shift dramatically now that we have this analysis. Holy crud, that would suggest these were becoming educated guesses rather than WAGs. What fun will that be?! ;)

Yeah, should be interesting to see if guesses shift right.

Offline tinorex

• Slovakia
  • Liked: 38
  • Likes Given: 23
« Reply #178 on: 07/08/2017 07:36 am »
Wau. I thing I should begin to play lotto ;-). Thank you for gratulations, helodriver for perfect game, helodriver and chris for prices, and of course spaceX for landings, all about this game is.

Offline Semmel

• Germany
  • Liked: 2433
  • Likes Given: 11916
« Reply #179 on: 07/08/2017 10:20 am »

You know the fun is, if most picks are concentrated on the right hand side and a booster ultimately does land on the left hand side, the sparser square selection on the left makes it more likely to actually be closest to the rocket, as shown in this example where a pick one that was NOT directly beneath the centre engine.

Congrats to tinorex, well played! :)

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography