Author Topic: Opinions on Starlink discussions on NSF?  (Read 5364 times)

Offline Hog

• Woodstock
  • Liked: 1700
  • Likes Given: 6866
Opinions on Starlink discussions on NSF?
« on: 02/10/2021 09:34 pm »
What's everyone;s take on the amount of Starlink content on this site?
IMO basic discussions about an internet provider, prices,  are off topic as related to spaceflight.  The launches, missions, satellites and certain other topics are germane to the bestest freakin' spaceflight site in the world.

What say you?
Keep up the great work admin/mods/masters.

Shields up!

Paul

Offline gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
  • Liked: 13885
  • Likes Given: 5933
Re: Opinions on Starlink discussions on NSF?
« Reply #1 on: 02/10/2021 10:09 pm »
It a huge multi-billion dollar project from what seems to be by far the most popular company among our user community.  The discussions will be staying.  I try not to let the number of threads get too far out of hand.

Offline whitelancer64

« Reply #2 on: 02/10/2021 10:44 pm »
If they can get Starlink functional enough as an ISP and with enough coverage to support tens to hundreds of millions of customers around the world in the next couple years, they should easily be able to fund any Mars colony ambitions they have with it. The relevance of Starlink is in that greater context.

That said, once you have a ginormous rocket and a pile of money larger than some small nations, there's still a lot of other stuff you need to have to be able to go to Mars. The gigantic pile of money helps. There's a huge number of things that need to be bought, developed, improved, and invested in, in order to keep an arbitrary number of people alive on Mars (like life support systems, water reclamation systems, not to mention the habitats themselves, the Mars-suits, cars and trucks, power generation and storage, everything needed for industrial scale ISRU on Mars, etc.). Yes, almost all of that technology exists, but much of it has to be made better to improve functionality to suit human beings working on Mars, and especially functionality over years and decades.
"One bit of advice: it is important to view knowledge as sort of a semantic tree -- make sure you understand the fundamental principles, ie the trunk and big branches, before you get into the leaves/details or there is nothing for them to hang on to." - Elon Musk
"There are lies, damned lies, and launch schedules." - Larry J

Offline ulm_atms

• Rocket Junky
  • To boldly go where no government has gone before.
  • Liked: 1565
  • Likes Given: 770
« Reply #3 on: 02/10/2021 10:47 pm »
Considering Starlink is basically supposed to pay for Mars and um.....spaceflight by a company...I'm good with it.

Offline DreamyPickle

• Home
  • Liked: 921
  • Likes Given: 205
« Reply #4 on: 02/10/2021 10:54 pm »
Satellite projects are very much on topic for a spaceflight forum.

Offline gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
« Reply #5 on: 02/10/2021 11:14 pm »
I would agree "I hate my ISP" and speed test posts aren't really necessary.

Offline Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
  • A large LEGO storage facility ... in Michigan
  • Liked: 11864
  • Likes Given: 11086
« Reply #6 on: 02/10/2021 11:21 pm »
I think what Hog was getting at was that there is a chance to diverge away into minutiae relating to things like customer service, or "why doesn't my terminal work after I dropped it" etc.   I feel that is a legitimate concern. 

That said... We've done fairly well at keeping generic Tesla discussions tamped down.   I think we'll do OK here too.... But do feel free to call us on it

(via report to mod!)
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY

Offline Eagandale4114

• Liked: 541
  • Likes Given: 500
« Reply #7 on: 02/11/2021 01:11 am »
Any chance Starlink can get its own subsection in the SpaceX area?

Offline Nomadd

• Lower 48
  • Liked: 60431
  • Likes Given: 1305
« Reply #8 on: 02/11/2021 01:37 am »
 I can see Starlink. The Boring company being in the Starship section has always been a little strange.
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.

Offline Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
  • A large LEGO storage facility ... in Michigan
  • Liked: 11864
  • Likes Given: 11086
« Reply #9 on: 02/11/2021 06:52 am »
I think if Starlink had enough threads to get its own section, that NSF would be weighted too much toward Starlink. That's just my personal view. We bat these things around all the time, so who knows.
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY

Offline ulm_atms

• Rocket Junky
  • To boldly go where no government has gone before.
  • Liked: 1565
  • Likes Given: 770
« Reply #10 on: 02/11/2021 11:49 pm »

I can see a topic called "Satellite constellations" in the General Discussion category personally.  There is more then just Starlink out there.  You got the few ISPs(Starlink, OneWeb, Kuiper, Telesat), Imaging(Planet, Dove, Maxar), GPS(GPS, GLONASS, Galileo, BeiDou), and others out there that could all go well under that umbrella.

Here is basically a huge list of them: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Satellite_constellation
« Last Edit: 02/12/2021 12:19 am by ulm_atms »

Offline M.E.T.

• Liked: 2912
  • Likes Given: 508
« Reply #11 on: 02/12/2021 12:03 am »
Feels like a bit of a (futile) backlash against SpaceX recently.

10 years ago SpaceX did not justify any more forum space than say Rocketlab or Virgin does now.

But the S-curve is now starting to hit its stride and this is evident in the progressive need for more and more SpaceX sub categories.

Spoiler alert - This trend is not going to slow down, it is in fact going to accelerate even more.

Starlink will be integral to a lot of what SpaceX does, and will dominate any hypothetical “Satellite constellation” category in the same way SpaceX dominates the launch vehicle forum.

There is no getting away from it, unless one tries to artificially treat all launch and satellite providers as equal, irrespective of volume, cadence, operational footprint and market size.

Offline Asteroza

• Liked: 1084
  • Likes Given: 33
« Reply #12 on: 03/25/2021 12:05 am »

I can see a topic called "Satellite constellations" in the General Discussion category personally.  There is more then just Starlink out there.  You got the few ISPs(Starlink, OneWeb, Kuiper, Telesat), Imaging(Planet, Dove, Maxar), GPS(GPS, GLONASS, Galileo, BeiDou), and others out there that could all go well under that umbrella.

Here is basically a huge list of them: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Satellite_constellation

I had lazily asked for a megaconstellation section in the past and was told it wasn't quite time yet. Perhaps with OneWeb and Starlink in active deployment, it's time to a have a either a constellation or "on-orbit" section (which would cover megaconstellations, constellations, commercial stations, maybe the occasional single sats?)

Offline gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
« Reply #13 on: 03/25/2021 01:17 pm »
I doubt Starlink gets moved out of the SpaceX section.  The Commecial Spaceflight section has grown to the point where a launch/spacecraft split might be in order.

Offline Asteroza

• Liked: 1084
  • Likes Given: 33
« Reply #14 on: 03/26/2021 12:46 am »
I doubt Starlink gets moved out of the SpaceX section.  The Commercial Spaceflight section has grown to the point where a launch/spacecraft split might be in order.

What about moving Starlink into a distinct subsection of the Spacex grouping then?

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography