Author Topic: Suggestion to Improve Topics  (Read 9087 times)

Offline 492

• Liked: 8
  • Likes Given: 25
Suggestion to Improve Topics
« on: 01/15/2021 01:13 pm »
This is
« Last Edit: 05/30/2022 01:07 am by 492 »

Offline Crispy

• London
  • Liked: 783
  • Likes Given: 51
Re: Suggestion to Improve Topics
« Reply #1 on: 01/15/2021 01:39 pm »
That is a LOT of moderation overhead. Not to mention this is not supported behaviour in SMF (the software that runs the boards)

Other forum software has tools that do things like this (and other things that boost the signal:noise ratio), but NSF is not changing forum software any time soon.

Offline DavidH

• Boulder, CO
  • Liked: 82
  • Likes Given: 145
« Reply #2 on: 01/15/2021 02:00 pm »
SMF does have an Ignore Thread plugin. That would be a HUGE help!

There is so much activity that I can't possibly keep up. Considering most of it is noise, argument, and speculation, it has reduced how much time and energy I can spend on NASA space flight

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

TL;DR
Keep your posts short if you want them to be read.

Offline Crispy

• London
  • Liked: 783
  • Likes Given: 51
« Reply #3 on: 01/15/2021 03:15 pm »
That is a LOT of moderation overhead. Not to mention this is not supported behaviour in SMF (the software that runs the boards)

Other forum software has tools that do things like this (and other things that boost the signal:noise ratio), but NSF is not changing forum software any time soon.

A lot?
Yes really a lot! Every single post read by a moderator, who has to assess the content and then apply a tag. And posters will disagree with the category their posts get given.

Offline Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
  • A large LEGO storage facility ... in Michigan
  • Liked: 11864
  • Likes Given: 11086
« Reply #4 on: 01/16/2021 03:34 am »
We are not going to have moderated cage matches.  Or complex tagging systems.
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY

Offline Steve G

• Regular
  • Ottawa, ON
    • Stephen H Garrity
  • Liked: 615
  • Likes Given: 56
« Reply #5 on: 01/16/2021 03:58 am »
The only thing I'd like, for historical spaceflight, is to have them organized by subject, such as Mercury, Gemini, Apollo, Skylab, MOL, Saturn rocket family, Soviet 1960's missions, Salyut, Mir, spy missions and concepts, etc. This is a tremendous thread with tremendous resources but needs to be broken down to more navigable units.

Offline Nomadd

• Waikiki
  • Liked: 60418
  • Likes Given: 1301
« Reply #6 on: 02/15/2021 05:05 pm »
 Mars seems to be getting more action than the rest of the solar system combined. Maybe giving Mars it's own section and moving missions from other countries there would make more sense that having a separate U.S. Mars section.
 Since there's so much international input to U.S. missions and so much outside input to other guys missions, they're sort of all international anyhow.
« Last Edit: 02/15/2021 05:13 pm by Nomadd »
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.

Offline philw1776

• Seacoast NH
  • Liked: 1842
  • Likes Given: 981
« Reply #7 on: 03/28/2021 05:45 pm »
Ignore Thread is a very useful tool to clean up choices.

Update Thread Warning as one clicks on reply would save some of us from cluttering excellent Update Threads.
FULL SEND!!!!

Offline Arb

• London
  • Liked: 514
  • Likes Given: 433
« Reply #8 on: 04/01/2021 06:01 pm »
Ignore Thread is a very useful tool to clean up choices.
Where "Ignore" = "Hide", can't like enough.

Offline bish48

• Lifetime Member
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #9 on: 04/08/2021 10:07 am »

A lot?
Yes really a lot! Every single post read by a moderator, who has to assess the content and then apply a tag. And posters will disagree with the category their posts get given.

The person creating the post assigns the category tag, not a moderator. A moderator only needs to intercede when someone complains the tag is wrong. Maybe a lot at first, but there is no need to be perfect from the beginning, and people will soon figure it out, and then there will be less required moderator effort than before tags.

New posters will be schooled by the old. A moderator only needs to intercede when the original poster refuses to correct their tag. And maybe a poster can not change a tag, after a moderator sets it. This will encourage people to assign an appropriate tag.

Maybe give every post the comment tag by default when the post is created. Then the experienced posters will change to the correct tag, and the new bees will be comment posts until they figure it out.

The need to moderate flame wars will be greatly reduced; confine them to the comment tag, and let the posters roar, while the rest of us get to ignore it all. Without an audience, many will stop. As in, "You can flame if you want, but only outside of the normal conversation, where "no one" will see it."

Maybe a quoted tag is passed to the quoting post.
Is it possible to give people a default tag (so they don't have to remember to tag their posts). Maybe then only moderation of individuals default tags needs to happen eg if I claimed to be anything above #2  on that list.
Clarke's Second Law: The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible

Online catdlr

• Enthusiast since the Redstones
  • Marina del Rey, California, USA
  • Liked: 8582
  • Likes Given: 7675
« Reply #10 on: 05/29/2023 10:12 pm »
Recently, many new members posted remarks in Update Only threads (Public and L2).  Is it possible to add a "Would your reply be better suited in the discussion Thread?"  when a member presses the "Quote" button in an Update Only Thread to respond to a post? Or better yet insert the post directly to the associated Discussion thread automatically and notify the user with the following message  "Your post has been automatically posted in the Discussion thread".   

Thanks for your consideration, It would reduce the moderators' time to move such posts and then go back and post an explanation to the originator.   Cheers, Tony
Tony De La Rosa, ...I'm no Feline Dealer!! I move mountains.  but I'm better known for "I think it's highly sexual." Japanese to English Translation.

Offline Metalskin

• Brisbane, Australia
  • Liked: 93
  • Likes Given: 1682
« Reply #11 on: 05/29/2023 10:16 pm »
Recently, many new members posted remarks in Update Only threads (Public and L2).  Is it possible to add a "Would your reply be better suited in the discussion Thread?"  when a member presses the "Quote" button in an Update Only Thread to respond to a post? Or better yet insert the post directly to the associated Discussion thread automatically and notify the user with the following message  "Your post has been automatically posted in the Discussion thread".   

Thanks for your consideration, It would reduce the moderators' time to move such posts and then go back and post an explanation to the originator.   Cheers, Tony

I'm not sure how much this software can be customised, but maybe it would be better just to have an obvious banner in the comment section when it's an update thread saying something like:

"Update Thread Only - Do not make comments here"

Idea would be a bar across the top of the comment with the background in orange or red.

Even better would if it included a link to the appropriate forum for commenting...
How inappropriate to call this planet Earth when it is quite clearly Ocean. - Arthur C. Clarke

Offline Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
  • A large LEGO storage facility ... in Michigan
  • Liked: 11864
  • Likes Given: 11086
« Reply #12 on: 05/29/2023 10:44 pm »

It's a perennial wish. Maybe someday?  (not a prediction!)
« Last Edit: 05/29/2023 10:44 pm by Lar »
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY

Offline Eer

• Liked: 460
  • Likes Given: 909
« Reply #13 on: 05/29/2023 11:29 pm »
The solution would be an access control list for posting to updates, so unauthorized users can quote but not post to updates. That (unauthorized attempt to paste to update topic) that offer to paste instead to a linked (automatically found via admin linkage attribute on the update thread). Of course that link would need to be to the last thread in the sequence.

So, it’s not straight forward and would want to rely on a baseline access control list mechanism.
From "The Rhetoric of Interstellar Flight", by Paul Gilster, March 10, 2011: We’ll build a future in space one dogged step at a time, and when asked how long humanity will struggle before reaching the stars, we’ll respond, “As long as it takes.”

Offline Bob Shaw

• Liked: 727
  • Likes Given: 676
« Reply #14 on: 05/29/2023 11:58 pm »
I would also like an *Ignore Thread* tool.

Online catdlr

• Enthusiast since the Redstones
  • Marina del Rey, California, USA
  • Liked: 8582
  • Likes Given: 7675
« Reply #15 on: 05/30/2023 12:06 am »

Thanks to Metalskin, Lar, and Eer for your quick and intrusted response to my query.
Tony De La Rosa, ...I'm no Feline Dealer!! I move mountains.  but I'm better known for "I think it's highly sexual." Japanese to English Translation.

Offline Ken the Bin

• US Pacific Time Zone
    • @kenthebin@spacey.space
  • Liked: 5054
  • Likes Given: 5463
« Reply #16 on: 05/30/2023 04:21 am »
I would also like an *Ignore Thread* tool.

Yes, that would be very helpful.

But it needs to provide a way to view a list of ignored topics and unignore selected topics.

Offline Greg Hullender

• Seattle
    • Rocket Stack Rank
  • Liked: 442
  • Likes Given: 338
« Reply #17 on: 05/30/2023 04:49 am »
I have a much simpler (I think) request: I want a way to flag people who've made posts that earned my respect so I can give them the benefit of the doubt when I see other posts from them.

The simplest way I can think of would be to use the existing "buddy list" mechanism for this. All that's missing is to have some visible signal in threads to let me know who's in my buddy list. (E.g. a star next to the name.)

Offline jak Kennedy

• Liked: 134
  • Likes Given: 742
« Reply #18 on: 11/19/2023 07:43 am »
Not exactly a Topic suggestion but it would be nice when viewing a post to see a list of who has replied to it and maybe a link to those. That would cut down on many people posting a similar reply that has been covered.
... the way that we will ratchet up our species, is to take the best and to spread it around everybody, so that everybody grows up with better things. - Steve Jobs

Offline Llian Rhydderch

• Terran Anglosphere
  • Liked: 1299
  • Likes Given: 9670
« Reply #19 on: 01/08/2024 10:08 am »
I have a question re NSF improvement.

Where is the forum for respectful & constructive discussion on improving the NSF audio of NSF Live events?  (this is not about improving NSF Forums or NSF forum software)
Re arguments from authority on NSF:  "no one is exempt from error, and errors of authority are usually the worst kind.  Taking your word for things without question is no different than a bracket design not being tested because the designer was an old hand."
"You would actually save yourself time and effort if you were to use evidence and logic to make your points instead of wrapping yourself in the royal mantle of authority.  The approach only works on sheep, not inquisitive, intelligent people."

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography