Author Topic: Developing the New NSF Online Store  (Read 18119 times)

Online Chris Bergin

Developing the New NSF Online Store
« on: 03/14/2018 12:58 pm »
We've had various versions of this over the years, the last being a cafepress store for merchandise with the previous logo on it.

Served its role. I still have various items and they've lasted well, but we really need to take advantage of the latest online store models and also have a lot more than just mugs and such with the site's logo on it. NSF likes to be different.

Wish list includes:

Ability to remotely design products (baseline products, add designs...calendars, etc.)
Quality of product.
Product range.
International shipping.
Discount code ability for L2 members.

The standard line would be items with the site's logo, but unique merchandise, utilizing our amazing photographers and render experts is attractive to me, so will likely be attractive to most on here and such items could be revenue shared promotions.

Throw your ideas in here, also links to other online stores you've had good experiences with as potential merchants and so on. Everything good we do here is thanks to the large community coming up with the best ideas.
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Online Eagandale4114

• Liked: 541
  • Likes Given: 500
Re: Developing the New NSF Online Store
« Reply #1 on: 03/14/2018 09:42 pm »
Have you considered using shopify? A lot of newer estores are using it. Push Plastics, fillastuder, are two great examples if you are into 3D printing. It supports all major payment systems like standard CCs, Apple pay, amazon pay and others. It super nice on both mobile and desktop.

Online Chris Bergin

« Reply #2 on: 05/07/2018 02:50 pm »
So, spreadshirt?

ESA's store looks amazing per that foundation:
https://shop.spreadshirt.net/esashop/
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Online mtakala24

« Reply #3 on: 05/09/2018 06:38 pm »
Would buy many things to support the site. ESA shop looks good indeed.

Online Chris Bergin

« Reply #4 on: 09/28/2018 10:20 pm »
Right folks. I want to revisit this and drive it forward with the goal of going live in October in good time for Christmas.

I'll do some looking into things like Spreadshirt, but I'll take feedback and anyone with experience of such stores can chime in on advice, help with set up.

I now have a super quality PNG of the site logo as the opening round of products (obvious products being the logo - I want a NSF iPhone cover for example - and we build from there via our talented content producers/rev splits etc.).

Offline rliebman

• Liked: 16
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #5 on: 09/28/2018 10:53 pm »
Baseball CAP with LOGO

Offline Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
  • A large LEGO storage facility ... in Michigan
  • Liked: 11864
  • Likes Given: 11086
« Reply #6 on: 09/28/2018 11:32 pm »
If you have the logo vectorised that's helpful too (.svg format for example) as then it scales to any size and never any dither jaggies from blowing up an image too large...
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY

Online Chris Bergin

« Reply #7 on: 09/29/2018 03:57 am »
Yes, but it's only a small file size, so no idea if this is correct.

Offline Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
  • A large LEGO storage facility ... in Michigan
  • Liked: 11864
  • Likes Given: 11086
« Reply #8 on: 09/29/2018 06:54 pm »

SVG stands for Scalable Vector Graphics

Vector: It's absolutely correct that it's a very small file size because vector descriptions are pretty compact. You're describing polgyons and ellipses by their control points so it is typically far smaller than a PNG save at the same size.

Scalable: You can render it at any size you want.

I tested this, downloaded it, edited it in GIMP and with a text editor.. and it scales and renders perfectly. This is ideal for those vendors that can work with this. Some may want eps instead but cross that bridge when you come to it. (there are svg to eps convertors out there. Maybe even GIMP)
« Last Edit: 09/30/2018 06:00 pm by Lar »
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY

Online Chris Bergin

« Reply #9 on: 09/29/2018 07:23 pm »

SVG stands for Scalable Vector Graphics

Vector: It's absolutely correct that it's a very small file size because vector descriptions are pretty compact. You're describing polgyons and ellipses by their control points so it is typicall far smaller than a PNG save at the same size.

Scalable: You can render it at any size you want.

I tested this, downloaded it, edited it in GIMP and with a text editor.. and it scales and renders perfectly. This is ideal for those vendors that can work with this. Some may want eps instead but cross that bridge when you come to it.l

Awesome!

So far, spreadshirt is looking the best one I've looked at for the store. Will check other options, but yeah - this looks good. Then I'll likely tweet out if anyone has such a store to help set it up the best possible way.

Offline kevinof

• Somewhere on the boat
  • Liked: 1869
  • Likes Given: 1262
« Reply #10 on: 09/29/2018 07:28 pm »
Chris.
Shopify is the one I would go for. We've integrated with it in the past, it has tons of add-ons/plugins and widely supported.

Right folks. I want to revisit this and drive it forward with the goal of going live in October in good time for Christmas.

I'll do some looking into things like Spreadshirt, but I'll take feedback and anyone with experience of such stores can chime in on advice, help with set up.

I now have a super quality PNG of the site logo as the opening round of products (obvious products being the logo - I want a NSF iPhone cover for example - and we build from there via our talented content producers/rev splits etc.).

Online Chris Bergin

« Reply #11 on: 09/29/2018 07:50 pm »
Chris.
Shopify is the one I would go for. We've integrated with it in the past, it has tons of add-ons/plugins and widely supported.

Looked at that and certainly seems to be for high volume, which we won't be.

Did notice: "Spreadshirt Goes Shopify". So starting with Spreadshirt still seems the best option and any need to expand means we can take it with us. Shopify is also a charge rate site, so you're starting a minus before you even begin. But getting a basic store going and then expanding the range (especially custom created items) in Shopify and adding Spreadshirt via their association looks like a future option!
« Last Edit: 09/29/2018 07:51 pm by Chris Bergin »

Online Chris Bergin

« Reply #12 on: 09/30/2018 11:51 am »
Looked at both Spreadshirt and Shopify in detail. Both very interesting. Came across a potential location issue, but that gave me a lightbulb moment at the same time. Going to talk to the troops and see if there's a plan via my brainwave. ;D So likely a new thread if the team agrees.

Offline kevinof

• Somewhere on the boat
  • Liked: 1869
  • Likes Given: 1262
« Reply #13 on: 09/30/2018 01:10 pm »
Chris,
You're looking for a pay per transaction only and no flat monthly fee? I'll ask our customers what they use - I know Shopify is one they use a lot and we have customers from micro businesses all the way up so I'll check what they use.

kevin

Chris.

Looked at that and certainly seems to be for high volume, which we won't be.

Did notice: "Spreadshirt Goes Shopify". So starting with Spreadshirt still seems the best option and any need to expand means we can take it with us. Shopify is also a charge rate site, so you're starting a minus before you even begin. But getting a basic store going and then expanding the range (especially custom created items) in Shopify and adding Spreadshirt via their association looks like a future option!

Online Chris Bergin

« Reply #14 on: 04/13/2019 01:07 pm »
Ok, so we're going to return to this. We're still thinking Spreadshirt. Everyday Astronaut's store looks amazing, if that's a different company or built in-house.

Call for someone with experience in such stores and the ultimate goal to get someone to lead on this building a store effort (with financial reward).

Offline CyndyC

« Reply #15 on: 01/01/2020 02:00 pm »
To the 15 people following this thread and anyone else who takes a look, I was looking for an NSF T-shirt for myself and found this thread instead, so in a PM to Chris I offered to help launch an NSF store. In the past I have created HTML ads and successfully sold a number and variety of items on eBay, so Chris has accepted my offer, and we have exchanged several additional PMs.

A prototype store was easy enough to create on Spreadshirt, but the only preview available was buried in the settings menu and can't be seen by anyone except me. Chris asked for a screenshot and files can't be attached to PMs so I am attaching it here. It's the top portion of the product list page that shows only 8 of 48 items I pre-selected for display. Customers can click a link to go behind the scenes and choose from all the products Spreadshirt offers, because items can be printed one at a time. Naturally I uploaded the NSF logo for one design option, and Brady Kenniston's famous Falcon Heavy Demo photo is just for temporary fun unless he would like to keep it on the NSF sales channel. An upcharge can be added for each design.

Please take a look and share what you think so far. I can do more with the banner and change what's on display if it's a go. Unfortunately Spreadshirt doesn't offer a way to sort the order of display items individually, so that part is going to have remain a bit haphazard.
"Either lead, follow, or get out of the way." -- quote of debatable origin tweeted by Ted Turner and previously seen on his desk

Offline harrystranger

• Brisbane, Australia
  • Liked: 2749
  • Likes Given: 1857
« Reply #16 on: 01/02/2020 10:53 am »
To the 15 people following this thread and anyone else who takes a look, I was looking for an NSF T-shirt for myself and found this thread instead, so in a PM to Chris I offered to help launch an NSF store. In the past I have created HTML ads and successfully sold a number and variety of items on eBay, so Chris has accepted my offer, and we have exchanged several additional PMs.

A prototype store was easy enough to create on Spreadshirt, but the only preview available was buried in the settings menu and can't be seen by anyone except me. Chris asked for a screenshot and files can't be attached to PMs so I am attaching it here. It's the top portion of the product list page that shows only 8 of 48 items I pre-selected for display. Customers can click a link to go behind the scenes and choose from all the products Spreadshirt offers, because items can be printed one at a time. Naturally I uploaded the NSF logo for one design option, and Brady Kenniston's famous Falcon Heavy Demo photo is just for temporary fun unless he would like to keep it on the NSF sales channel. An upcharge can be added for each design.

Please take a look and share what you think so far. I can do more with the banner and change what's on display if it's a go. Unfortunately Spreadshirt doesn't offer a way to sort the order of display items individually, so that part is going to have remain a bit haphazard.
Great work!
Maybe you already have this sorted with the other items, apologies if you do but I'd suggest also having an option with a smaller logo on the front. Some people (me  ;) ) can be a little picky.
I can't wait to see how this progresses!  :)

Offline seawolfe

• South of Seattle and east of Tacoma
  • Liked: 58
  • Likes Given: 4484
« Reply #17 on: 01/02/2020 12:19 pm »
What, no mugs?  Gotta have coffee / tea mugs!   ;D

Offline CyndyC

« Reply #18 on: 01/02/2020 02:22 pm »
Thank you for the compliment, but Spreadshirt does most of the work. I just uploaded the logo and activated or deactivated product choices for display with the logo already on them.

Customers can resize and adjust the placement of the logo on each item, and adjust the colors of the logo on darker products.

I definitely have a mug on display, with a panoramic logo placement in fact, among about a dozen other accessories that just aren't showing on the one screen capture. Customers can also go behind the scenes and select from every product Spreadshirt offers, so I hope that option will be clear.
« Last Edit: 01/02/2020 09:17 pm by CyndyC »
"Either lead, follow, or get out of the way." -- quote of debatable origin tweeted by Ted Turner and previously seen on his desk

Offline CyndyC

« Reply #19 on: 02/04/2020 08:15 pm »
It won't be as long now, but since it has already been a month since my last post, I want to go ahead and update those anxiously awaiting the store launch (pun is serendipitous, that's really the name of the Spreadshirt button for store activation). Naturally it has taken some juggling among all that's being covered on NSF, and free time to exchange information requirements from me to more than one NSF partner, back to me, and with Spreadshirt inbetween. The online forms are now completed, and I have just emailed the last thing Spreadshirt wants, a W9 completed and signed.

Unlike the same day and overnight responses Spreadshirt has been able to provide for other issues, the W9 can take up to 2 weeks to review and verify. However, assuming the W9 will pass scrutiny, all that will be left after that will be to press the launch button, have admin review the presentation, and I'll either post a link to the store here first, or alert everyone where the programmers have added links on the website. You might want to be saving those pennies and thinking about everything you'll want to buy!

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography