Author Topic: Wayne Hale sets up his own blog site  (Read 331413 times)

Offline Chris Bergin

Re: Wayne Hale sets up his own blog site
« Reply #260 on: 11/12/2012 01:20 pm »
Amazing read again from Wayne Hale.

That leads me to a question about this site too. I know this site didn't start until STS-114, but had it been around during STS-107, and given the deeper nature of this site's shuttle reporting, would we have heard of big concerns about the foam strike?

I honestly don't know, but it's highly likely our coverage would have matched the official line, such as the e-mail sent up to the crew about the incident not being a safety concern.

I can imagine the forum might have been discussing it, but again - foam strikes were not unique and shuttle people would have been pointing that out, per the style of the forum.
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline Longhorn John

• Regular
  • Liked: 60
  • Likes Given: 130
« Reply #261 on: 11/12/2012 01:22 pm »
What if a source had told you he was very concerned about Columbia's health, to the point of her getting back to the ground safely?

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #262 on: 11/12/2012 01:40 pm »
What if a source had told you he was very concerned about Columbia's health, to the point of her getting back to the ground safely?

We'd be talking deep into post-RTF, as it took years to get to know enough of the right people to get a good level of help in reporting on Shuttle.....

So, assuming that, the source (I don't really have "sources" - I just know some people and they are friends) shouldn't be telling me, he should be telling his supervisor or boss. So I can only imagine something like that would come to me because he wasn't being listened to.

However, IF something seriously was "leaked" to me, I did have a hyperthetical process set up as to what I'd do.

1) I wouldn't report it, on site, forum or L2. This is where you forget about a "scoop" and get it to the right people to deal with.

2) I'd phone the main Shuttle manager I knew at the time, immedaitely (his words were "day or night"), and he'd contact the person who had talked to me, directly.

I never had to do it, thankfully.

Incidentally, we did see someone raise a flag once, but you can see their own process worked well for it....

http://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2007/08/endeavour-dissent-from-engineer-a-sign-of-post-columbia-changes/

Wanda Sigur....one of the heroes of the ETs there.
« Last Edit: 11/12/2012 01:41 pm by Chris Bergin »
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline psloss

• Veteran armchair spectator
  • Liked: 4046
  • Likes Given: 2089
« Reply #263 on: 11/12/2012 02:32 pm »
That leads me to a question about this site too. I know this site didn't start until STS-114, but had it been around during STS-107, and given the deeper nature of this site's shuttle reporting, would we have heard of big concerns about the foam strike?
Consider that the concern was public prior to re-entry, albeit indirectly -- Jim Oberg memorably asked about it on Usenet a few days prior to entry and a question came up in the mission status briefing with Entry Flight Director Leroy Cain after the team's standard EOM-1 shift.

What degree of concern was expressed publicly is more speculative, but I don't think it reached that far into the mainstream.
« Last Edit: 11/12/2012 02:32 pm by psloss »

Offline Retired Downrange

• Turks & Caicos Islands
  • Liked: 121
  • Likes Given: 153

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #265 on: 12/11/2012 10:08 pm »
Latest!

http://waynehale.wordpress.com/2012/12/11/after-ten-years-sts-113-the-calm-before-the-storm/

And this thread is about to go over 50,000 reads. Says a lot about the interest and admiration for Mr Hale.
« Last Edit: 12/11/2012 10:09 pm by Chris Bergin »

Offline jgoldader

• Liked: 322
  • Likes Given: 171
« Reply #266 on: 12/13/2012 03:00 pm »
I know Mr. Hale is here from time to time, and I hope he knows how meaningful his blogging is to so many of us.  I grew up during the shuttle program--STS-1 was my first launch; I saw Challenger's wing hit the water as I came out of the shower in college, and Columbia was lost as I drove my son to a party.

Mr. Hale is one of the most thoughtful speakers/writers I've ever heard.  His blog should be required reading for anybody who has to deal with or communicate complex technical ideas.

I wish he would write a book.

Jeff
Recovering astronomer

Offline Mike_1179

• New Jersey
  • Liked: 383
  • Likes Given: 87
« Reply #267 on: 12/13/2012 04:47 pm »

Offline Ares67

• Oliver
  • Remscheid, Germany
  • Liked: 74
  • Likes Given: 28
« Reply #268 on: 12/13/2012 06:18 pm »
I wish he would write a book.

Yes, please! I'd buy it immediately... ;D

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #269 on: 12/29/2012 05:55 pm »
I know the type of people who visit this site will digest every word of this one:

http://waynehale.wordpress.com/2012/12/29/after-ten-years-the-fateful-frr/

I must have written about 200 FRR related articles since STS-114, but this is far more interesting...

Offline mtakala24

« Reply #270 on: 12/29/2012 08:50 pm »
The latest blog post really describes the cultural issues that existed back then. And the improvement after that is most evidently shown by those FRR articles and great L2 FRR briefing content.

The style of writing is really good. I wonder if Wayne will write a book of his very own... 

Offline mtakala24

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #272 on: 01/05/2013 12:24 am »
Did NASA PAO ever publish a video clip from inside an actual FRR....be it SSP at JSC or Agency level at KSC?

I can only think of this photo (I think from a SSP FRR), which is from a Friends and Family presentation (great photo by the way).

I know people here can name each person in the photo, but you can see Mr Hale behind Mr Cain and Mr Shannon.

« Last Edit: 01/05/2013 12:26 am by Chris Bergin »

Offline Wayne Hale

• Liked: 402
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #273 on: 01/05/2013 01:17 am »
How many do you want?  At my retirement party they gave me a disk with about a million PAO shots, many in the new MMT room.  This one shows me chairing an STS-114 meeting with Bill Parsons and Bill Readdy (my one-two bosses) sitting behind, looking not entirely pleased.

I know the PAO folks shot some video from time to time but don't recall seeing it on NASA TV.

Pictures from the old MMT room (Columbia and before) are rare.

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #274 on: 01/05/2013 02:35 am »
How many do you want?  At my retirement party they gave me a disk with about a million PAO shots, many in the new MMT room.  This one shows me chairing an STS-114 meeting with Bill Parsons and Bill Readdy (my one-two bosses) sitting behind, looking not entirely pleased.

I know the PAO folks shot some video from time to time but don't recall seeing it on NASA TV.

Now that's a great photo, especially with it being 114. I personally find pre-launch - from MOD planning, to orbiter processing through to FRR/MMT etc - completely fascinating, probably more than when the vehicle's on orbit.

I would have sold my right arm to sit in on a FRR!

Offline psloss

« Reply #275 on: 01/05/2013 02:11 pm »
Did NASA PAO ever publish a video clip from inside an actual FRR....be it SSP at JSC or Agency level at KSC?
NASA TV broadcast some footage taken at the last one -- probably before the formalities began or early in the meeting.  (Probably a link in a thread here somewhere.)

Based on different published works over the years (including Mr. Hale's blog entries), it sounds like different aspects evolved (like the setting) over the thirty-year span of flight operations.

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
  • Cape Canaveral Spaceport
  • Liked: 21450
  • Likes Given: 428
« Reply #276 on: 01/05/2013 02:56 pm »

In the 80's, they were boring as hell.  Same for early nineties.

Offline psloss

« Reply #277 on: 01/05/2013 04:21 pm »

In the 80's, they were boring as hell.  Same for early nineties.
:) You know you're a Shuttle hugger when...

Offline elmarko

• I am very curious about THIS little conundrum
  • Preston, UK
    • ElMarko.org
  • Liked: 2
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #278 on: 01/07/2013 09:15 am »
Anything for an exclusive, eh Chris? :)

Now that's a great photo, especially with it being 114. I personally find pre-launch - from MOD planning, to orbiter processing through to FRR/MMT etc - completely fascinating, probably more than when the vehicle's on orbit.

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #279 on: 01/07/2013 02:38 pm »
http://waynehale.wordpress.com/2013/01/07/after-ten-years-death-never-takes-a-holiday/

"You know, if there was any real damage done to the wing, there is nothing we can do about it."
- Linda Ham - MMT Chair.

Makes you thankful in stages, in no particular order.....potential repair kits, ISS Safe Haven, LON, OBSS, WLEIDS, DAT, SE&I Ascent Imagery.....better behaving ETs on the foam liberation side.
« Last Edit: 01/07/2013 02:39 pm by Chris Bergin »

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography