Author Topic: ISRO Mars Orbiter Mission - Nov 2013 launch to September 2014 arrival - UPDATES  (Read 787008 times)

Offline beancounter

• Perth, Western Australia
  • Liked: 106
  • Likes Given: 172
Best wishes to ISRO for their Mars Mission.  :)
Beancounter from DownUnder

Offline input~2

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 1540
  • Likes Given: 567
Live broadcast will start Tuesday at 0830UTC on http://webcast.gov.in/live
(Another url to try is http://216.185.104.74/isro)

Offline antriksh

• Liked: 132
  • Likes Given: 107
Trajectories and Monitoring stations
Nasadiya Sukta:
Srishti se pehle sat nahin thaa, asat bhi nahin | Antariksh bhi nahin, aakaash bhi nahin thaa | chhipaa thaa kyaa, kahaan, kisne dhakaa thaa | us pal to agam, atal jal bhi kahaan thaa ||

From: 1st verse of 129th Hymn of the 10th Book of Rig Veda

Offline antriksh

Weather forecast from Kalpana
Nasadiya Sukta:
Srishti se pehle sat nahin thaa, asat bhi nahin | Antariksh bhi nahin, aakaash bhi nahin thaa | chhipaa thaa kyaa, kahaan, kisne dhakaa thaa | us pal to agam, atal jal bhi kahaan thaa ||

Offline jacqmans

• Global Moderator
  • Houten, The Netherlands
  • Liked: 8562
  • Likes Given: 320
Nov 04, 2013

•Mandatory Checks and Preparations for Propellant filling operations of Second Stage (PS2) are in progress.
Jacques :-)

Offline sanman

• Liked: 1312
  • Likes Given: 8
In the latter half, some description of the information readouts displayed on the large overhead screens in the control centre:

Offline seshagirib

• terra firma
  • Liked: 25
  • Likes Given: 37
Question: How is the 4th stabilized during the long coast period?

spin stabilized
or
RCS stabilized ?
« Last Edit: 11/04/2013 01:16 pm by seshagirib »
astronaut on space ship earth

Offline input~2

• Global Moderator
TTC ships recent positions via AIS

SCI Nalanda: 2013-11-03 2208UTC at 20.26937S 156.5747W Speed: 7.2kn Course: 91°
SCI Yamuna: 2013-11-04 0357UTC at 19.49518S 134.1281W Speed: 9.9kn Course: 89°

Offline antriksh

spin stabilized
or
RCS stabilized ?

RCS
Nasadiya Sukta:

Offline input~2

• Global Moderator
A better view of the predefined drop zones up to 2nd stage debris

Offline AJA

• Per Aspera Ad Ares, Per Aspera Ad Astra
  • India
  • Liked: 146
  • Likes Given: 212
UPDATE
PS-2 stage tanking commenced. (Mobile service tower's been retracted to 50m)

I'll rest a lot easier ~10 hours after they complete tanking the second stage.. but that won't be for a while now.

TTC ships recent positions via AIS
SCI Nalanda: 2013-11-03 2208UTC at 20.26937S 156.5747W Speed: 7.2kn Course: 91°
SCI Yamuna: 2013-11-04 0357UTC at 19.49518S 134.1281W Speed: 9.9kn Course: 89°
Anyone know the weather forecast for their destination sites, for launch time tomorrow? Or willing to exercise Google-fu to get the relevant pictures from some Pacific maritime satellite?

And regarding science
Isn't MAVEN's apoapsis inside the Mars Orbiter's periapsis?
1. No. So there's probably more room for collaborative sensing than I thought at first.

2. GOCE coming down, after an awesome mission, is also prompting me to ask: are all orbits equally sensitive to anisotropy in gravitational potential? Could the uncompensated "tugs" - due to Martian mascons - be more pronounced in an orbit with a large eccentricity, than a circular orbit? That'd lead to an observed spacecraft position, that is different from the expected spacecraft position - since the latter would, presumably, propagate the trajectory using an idealised version of a Martian sphere. If the DSN is sensitive enough to measure this difference, could you work backwards and derive the Martian analog of this?

Or is the computation involved too nightmarish - even for dynamicists?

3. Anything more than a tenuous coma encounter of C/2013 A1, might potentially be problematic. No Whipple shield. Anyone know what MMOD protection the orbiter has? Impact probability is pretty low right now. Anyway, who detected methane on the said comet? The Curiosity finding also mentions the lifetime of Methane on Mars - and it far exceeds the expected lifetime of the Orbiter. So there's no waiting out cometary 'contamination'. But then, comets have always been the putative delivery boys for compounds that enable life. So, the contamination would be exciting too.

PS - I found the lemon-and-seven-chillies "defacement" equivalent for the mission, in the brochure. (...the last Pie chart)
Also, Does anyone know how they're defining reliability in order to get a numerical value?
« Last Edit: 11/04/2013 03:05 pm by AJA »

Offline AJA

• Per Aspera Ad Ares, Per Aspera Ad Astra
  • India
  • Liked: 146
  • Likes Given: 212
Emily Lakdawalla's answers to FAQs about the Mission: http://www.planetary.org/blogs/emily-lakdawalla/2013/10311230-india-prepares-to-take-flight-faq.html

She links to this abstract, while illustrating the challenges of aero-braking.

<Wild speculation>
Does anyone know the deployment mechanism of the high-gain antenna and the solar panels? I'm thinking about it, since Wiedehopf's comment on the blogpost raises the issue of design symmetry to enable aero-braking; arguing that this orbiter isn't symmetric. But if they were able to fold the antenna for braking periods, and open it back out, it might be possible. I'm pretty sure they can't retract it once deployed, but thought I'd ask. In any case, with enough prop, an asymmetric design shouldn't be a showstopper?
</Wild speculation>

Offline sanman

http://www.hindustantimes.com/news-feed/technology/nasa-team-sends-conventional-good-luck-peanuts-and-card-to-isro-scientists-/article1-1146303.aspx

Apparently, NASA's lucky peanuts have been received:

http://www.hindustantimes.com/news-feed/science/ahead-of-mars-mission-temple-run-goes-hand-in-hand-with-rocket-science/article1-1147077.aspx

But beyond this, do superstitions and other beliefs have a hold on the scientists?

“Not really,” said Mylswamy Annadurai, the project director of moon missions Chandrayaan 1 and Chandrayaan 2. “I read a page of Bhagawad Gita daily and will do so on Tuesday.”

He added, “But yes I have just got a jar of peanuts and a good luck card from the Jet Propulsion Laboratory-Nasa. This is a very nice gesture. I will distribute these peanuts in my office on Tuesday morning.”

Scientists at the Jet Propulsion Laboratory in National Aeronautics and Space Administration (Nasa) consider circulation of peanuts auspicious.

But I'll keep my fingers crossed just for extra good measure  ;)
« Last Edit: 11/04/2013 08:50 pm by sanman »

Offline seshagirib

• terra firma
  • Liked: 25
  • Likes Given: 37

spin stabilized
or
RCS stabilized ?

RCS
Thanks! antriksh
Will the 4th stage be carrying more RCS propellant this time around? Also any modification to the propellant tanks(capacity augumentation) ?
astronaut on space ship earth

Offline vyoma

• India
  • Liked: 850
  • Likes Given: 127
Does anyone know the deployment mechanism of the high-gain antenna and the solar panels?

I'm not sure about solar panel and antenna deployment; may be they are deployed via servo actuators?

I'm thinking about it, since Wiedehopf's comment on the blogpost raises the issue of design symmetry to enable aero-braking; arguing that this orbiter isn't symmetric. But if they were able to fold the antenna for braking periods, and open it back out, it might be possible. I'm pretty sure they can't retract it once deployed, but thought I'd ask. In any case, with enough prop, an asymmetric design shouldn't be a showstopper?

ISRO's "India's Maiden Odyssey to Mars" video (www.isro.org/video-mars.aspx, at 8:30, 10:00 and 10:55) states that the Liquid Apogee Motor (LAM) will be fired when spacecraft enters Martian sphere of influence, in order to slowdown spacecraft and place it in orbit.

Also, MOM brochure pages 3 and 8 (www.isro.org/pslv-c25/pdf/pslv-c25-brochure.pdf) give some info about Martian orbit insertion. Quoting them here:
"At the time the spacecraft reaches the closest approach to Mars (Periapsis), it is captured into planned orbit around Mars by imparting delta-v retro which is called the Martian Orbit Insertion (MOI) manoeuvre"

"Liquid Engine to be restarted after 10 months for Martian Orbit Insertion (MOI) manoeuvre"

"Additional pyros provided for MOI manoeuvres"

Does it mean that MOM doesn't use aero-braking for settling into orbit? It's relying on LAM/retro motors?
« Last Edit: 11/04/2013 05:57 pm by vyoma »

Offline sanman

It's not going to use aero-braking to get into its planned orbit - they would have had to design the spacecraft specifically to allow that, which they haven't.

However, Emily speculated about how aero-braking would be a nice bonus to try out afterwards, once the mission's main objectives have all been achieved. I dunno how you can improvisationally attempt something like that - just do a brief retro-burn and retract the antenna and arrays at the last minute, maybe? Heh, it'd be a hoot if it works.  :D

Offline sanman

Here's something I didn't notice before:

http://www.thehindu.com/sci-tech/science/meaningful-scientific-experiments-to-be-conducted-on-the-red-planet/article5314754.ece

The Indian orbiter would have a useful life of at least six months around Mars, according to the ISRO Chairman. Once its mission was complete, the spacecraft would not be allowed to crash on the planet. There would be enough propellant to take the probe away from the Martian environment, he said.

Well, if that's nominally the case, then wouldn't there be enough propellant left to attempt aero-braking?

Offline Chris Bergin

Moved for live coverage.
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline Prober

• Save the spin....I'm keeping you honest!
  • Nevada
  • Liked: 721
  • Likes Given: 729
http://www.thehindu.com/news/national/isro-gearing-up-for-mars-mission-on-november-5/article5298154.ece?ref=relatedNews

found this thread.....looking for a link for live feed?

Wishing India good luck on the mission.
2017 - Everything Old is New Again.
"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant..." --Isoroku Yamamoto

Offline input~2

• Global Moderator
looking for a link for live feed?

Live broadcast will start Tuesday at 0830UTC on http://webcast.gov.in/live
(Another url to try is http://216.185.104.74/isro)

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography