Author Topic: Falcon Heavy Demo Mission Payload Discussion  (Read 204309 times)

Offline vanoord

• Liked: 450
  • Likes Given: 106
Re: Falcon Heavy Demo Mission Payload Discussion
« Reply #140 on: 12/02/2017 06:36 pm »
Just now, on Twitter:

Elon Musk
@elonmusk
2 minutes ago

Replying to @highqualitysh1t

I love the thought of a car drifting apparently endlessly through space and perhaps being discovered by an alien race millions of years in the future

Not exactly clarity.

Online ZachS09

• Space Savant
  • Roanoke, TX
  • Liked: 2344
  • Likes Given: 2060
« Reply #141 on: 12/02/2017 06:39 pm »
Let's just assume that Elon Musk is simply putting a payload simulator on the second stage is probably around 8 tons.

I say that because GTO is a common orbital destination nowadays. Plus, the maximum payload to GTO for Falcon Heavy is around 8 tons.
« Last Edit: 12/02/2017 06:40 pm by ZachS09 »
Liftoff for St. Jude's! Go Dragon, Go Falcon, Godspeed Inspiration4!

Offline vanoord

• Liked: 450
  • Likes Given: 106
« Reply #142 on: 12/02/2017 06:40 pm »
And...

Eric Berger‏
@SciGuySpace
2 minutes ago

Elon Musk told me just now, on Saturday afternoon: The Tesla to Mars mission is "100% real."

Would be nice if SpaceX's communications team stepped in here.
« Last Edit: 12/02/2017 06:40 pm by vanoord »

Offline kdhilliard

• Kirk
  • Tanstaa, FL
  • Liked: 1572
  • Likes Given: 4080
« Reply #143 on: 12/02/2017 06:41 pm »
Is that one note on the Verge article all we have to suggest this was a four month premature prank?

Offline IanThePineapple

« Reply #144 on: 12/02/2017 06:47 pm »
This is confusing. We're being trolled one way or another, but I'm still putting all my money on this being real.

Offline Kosmos2001

• CAT
  • Liked: 66
  • Likes Given: 172
« Reply #145 on: 12/02/2017 06:48 pm »
And...

Eric Berger‏
@SciGuySpace
2 minutes ago

Elon Musk told me just now, on Saturday afternoon: The Tesla to Mars mission is "100% real."

Would be nice if SpaceX's communications team stepped in here.

We do have right now enough info to make a "Mind blowing" meme about the whole story.

Offline cebri

• Spain
  • Liked: 291
  • Likes Given: 181
« Reply #146 on: 12/02/2017 06:50 pm »
https://twitter.com/SciGuySpace/status/937043229832294401

Could this mean a flyby? Is it even possible if launched next January? Gosh i really need to learn more about astrodynamics.
"It's kind of amazing that a window of opportunity is open for life to beyond Earth, and we don't know how long this window is gonna be open" Elon Musk
"If you want to see an endangered species, get up and look in the mirror." John Young

Online Comga

• Liked: 4572
  • Likes Given: 5136
« Reply #147 on: 12/02/2017 06:52 pm »
The roadster should fit in horizontally, unlike the school bus. Reenforcing the base plate may be easier than launching it vertical.

I wouldn't have expected that, but yes, Wikipedia describes the 2008 Roadster as being 3,946 mm long and 1,873 mm wide, and the diagonal of such a rectangle is 4,368 mm, so it should fit a standard F9 fairing which offers 4.6 m ID.
(snip)

The length of a Roadster IS the diagonal, or rather, the diameter.
What kind of wastrels would dump a perfectly good booster in the ocean after just one use?

Offline IanThePineapple

« Reply #148 on: 12/02/2017 06:54 pm »
The Mars transfer window opens in April, so they could use some of FH's leftover power (Since the Roadster is so light) to brute-force it to Mars in January, slightly outside the transfer window.

Offline inonepiece

• Liked: 111
  • Likes Given: 138
« Reply #149 on: 12/02/2017 07:01 pm »
Elon Musk told us he was sending a car to space, then said he totally made it up

https://www.theverge.com/2017/12/1/16726822/spacex-falcon-heavy-tesla-roadster-launch-elon-musk
Well, I'm as confused as anybody, but I guess "Made it up" can have two meanings: 1. he doesn't intend to do it 2. he made up the idea (but he does intend to do it).

These engineer types have a literal mindset, you know.

;)

Offline CJ

• Liked: 1282
  • Likes Given: 540
« Reply #150 on: 12/02/2017 07:12 pm »
Regarding "Mars orbit". I'm very, very skeptical that it means "Orbiting Mars" because of the need for an orbital insertion burn. I suppose they could try aerobraking, but that still requires some propulsion. We can rule out the second stage for this; nowhere near enough duration time.

But what if Elon meant "Mars' orbit"? In other words, heliocentric but at the same distance from the sun Mars is? Use a Mars grav assist to roughly match Mars' orbit? Viable?

Offline IanThePineapple

« Reply #151 on: 12/02/2017 07:17 pm »
Regarding "Mars orbit". I'm very, very skeptical that it means "Orbiting Mars" because of the need for an orbital insertion burn. I suppose they could try aerobraking, but that still requires some propulsion. We can rule out the second stage for this; nowhere near enough duration time.

But what if Elon meant "Mars' orbit"? In other words, heliocentric but at the same distance from the sun Mars is? Use a Mars grav assist to roughly match Mars' orbit? Viable?

I'm guessing they'll fit a Starlink bus (minus everything except power, propulsion, control and comms) onto the back to get it into a crazy elliptical orbit, perhaps aerobraking to a more stable orbit, then using leftover fuel to boost the periapsis up.

Offline watermod

• Liked: 177
  • Likes Given: 153
« Reply #152 on: 12/02/2017 07:31 pm »
Could the fairing problem that halted the Zuma flight be related to some clearance issue they discovered with this car?

Online Chris Bergin

« Reply #153 on: 12/02/2017 07:35 pm »
Bollocks to it. I'm keeping this thread as is now until I see a press release. ;D
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline Kaputnik

• Extreme Veteran
  • Liked: 722
  • Likes Given: 821
« Reply #154 on: 12/02/2017 07:44 pm »

I'm guessing they'll fit a Starlink bus (minus everything except power, propulsion, control and comms) onto the back to get it into a crazy elliptical orbit, perhaps aerobraking to a more stable orbit, then using leftover fuel to boost the periapsis up.

Just a nit: you don't aerobrake into orbit. You aerocapture. And nobody has ever done that.
Aerobraking is a much gentler procedure requiring no special modifications; aerocapture requires the vehicle to be capable of high speed atmospheric entry, i.e. it needs a heatshield.
"I don't care what anything was DESIGNED to do, I care about what it CAN do"- Gene Kranz

Offline Formica

« Reply #155 on: 12/02/2017 07:46 pm »
Is that one note on the Verge article all we have to suggest this was a four month premature prank?

Yup, followed shortly by Eric Berger saying Elon told him it's for real, as vanoord noted. However this ends up, Elon is earning his trolling merit badge with aplomb this weekend  :o At least one person with contacts inside SpaceX, young John Kraus the photographer, also says it's for real over on Reddit.

Offline nacnud

• Extreme Veteran
  • Liked: 981
  • Likes Given: 347
« Reply #156 on: 12/02/2017 07:56 pm »
However this ends up, Elon is earning his trolling merit badge with aplomb this weekend.

Do you think we should send him one? He could sew it onto his hat

Offline Eagandale4114

• Liked: 541
  • Likes Given: 500
« Reply #157 on: 12/02/2017 08:03 pm »
Quote from: erberger
Quote from: rustybeancake
My money’s on “totally made it up” being a sarcastic response to The Verge’s inquiry. But we’ll see.
At this point, knowing what I know, I'd guess this is the correct answer.

Eric Bergers comment over on /r/spacex (Note, this links to the parent which provides context.)

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
  • Cape Canaveral Spaceport
  • Liked: 21451
  • Likes Given: 428
« Reply #158 on: 12/02/2017 08:10 pm »

nah,  they will not risk going into Mars.

And what starlink bus?   Anyways, they are LEO buses.
« Last Edit: 12/02/2017 08:11 pm by Jim »

Offline JasonAW3

• Claremore, Ok.
  • Liked: 410
  • Likes Given: 14
« Reply #159 on: 12/02/2017 08:20 pm »
Heck, I wouldn't put it past Elon to pull a "Heavy Metal" Corvette reentry with a single use heat shield and parachute package to bring it in for a landing.
My God!  It's full of universes!

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography