Author Topic: Boca Chica Resort  (Read 44640 times)

Offline LMT

• Lake Matthew Team
    • Lake Matthew
  • Liked: 423
  • Likes Given: 0
Boca Chica Resort
« on: 08/11/2020 05:29 am »
SpaceX application:  Resort Development Manager

--

- Blue Origin-style suborbital tourism resort?

- Spacediving?

- Marsliner LEO AG package?

- Other profitable possibilities?

Offline RotoSequence

• Liked: 2068
  • Likes Given: 1535
Re: Boca Chica Resort
« Reply #1 on: 08/11/2020 05:47 am »

--

- Blue Origin-style suborbital tourism resort?

- Spacediving?

- Marsliner LEO AG package?

- Other profitable possibilities?

When I saw this the other day, I figured SpaceX's intentions are to bootstrap somewhere for engineers and VIPs to go when working on Starship related endeavors, with the benefits of coordinated architectural design and aesthetics, and not needing to rely on speculative commercial partnerships to create a resort that's suitable for their goals of frequent space flights for everything from Department of Defense missions to space tourists.

Offline llanitedave

• Nevada Desert
  • Liked: 1545
  • Likes Given: 2052
« Reply #2 on: 08/11/2020 05:51 am »
As long as they have a beach nearby, should be great!   ;D
"I've just abducted an alien -- now what?"

Offline CameronD

• Melbourne, Australia
    • Norton Consultants
  • Liked: 866
  • Likes Given: 548
« Reply #3 on: 08/11/2020 06:08 am »

Where's Walt Disney when they need him?

"MuskWorld", "Three Starships over Texas"..
« Last Edit: 08/11/2020 06:10 am by CameronD »
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine - however, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are
going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead.

Offline CuddlyRocket

« Reply #4 on: 08/11/2020 10:41 am »

When I saw this the other day, I figured SpaceX's intentions are to bootstrap somewhere for engineers and VIPs to go when working on Starship related endeavors, with the benefits of coordinated architectural design and aesthetics, and not needing to rely on speculative commercial partnerships to create a resort that's suitable for their goals of frequent space flights for everything from Department of Defense missions to space tourists.

I suspect that, in the short term at least, it's to stop wasting engineering management time (possibly even Elon's) in sorting this stuff out when they could be working on Starship design and manufacture! And if properly organised it may be less expensive overall. But, I'm sure SpaceX is well aware of the inherent commercial possibilities in the medium to longer term and would explore the possibilities of capturing some of the profits.

Offline Texsun

• Liked: 239
  • Likes Given: 285
« Reply #5 on: 08/11/2020 12:17 pm »
Here's a link to the Teslarati article on this.
https://www.teslarati.com/spacex-spaceport-resort-developer-texas-rocket-factory-job-opening/

The author speculates about how the resort(s) might include the floating launch platforms, as well as BC.
« Last Edit: 08/11/2020 12:17 pm by Texsun »

Offline danneely

• Johnstown, PA, USA
  • Liked: 402
  • Likes Given: 677
« Reply #6 on: 08/11/2020 02:35 pm »
I find this a bit concerning.  Trying to build anything resembling a conventional resort in BC after using "It's too dangerous to live here" as a cudgel to pressure the remaining home owners to sell, would generate a huge amount of fully deserved negative press.

I really hope this is either just a fancy job title for Out of Town Employee Airstream Accommodations Manager, or despite saying Boca Chica in the title the actual plan is to build a resort somewhere between BC and Brownsville.

Offline jpo234

• Liked: 2279
  • Likes Given: 2184
« Reply #7 on: 08/11/2020 03:37 pm »
I find this a bit concerning.  Trying to build anything resembling a conventional resort in BC after using "It's too dangerous to live here" as a cudgel to pressure the remaining home owners to sell, would generate a huge amount of fully deserved negative press.

I really hope this is either just a fancy job title for Out of Town Employee Airstream Accommodations Manager, or despite saying Boca Chica in the title the actual plan is to build a resort somewhere between BC and Brownsville.

Another possibility is, that they have actually decided to go with the off-shore launch platform. That could eventually free BC to become the spaceport terminal with amenities.
BTW, this would still mean that BC is not suitable for permanent habitation while the R&D testing is going on.
You want to be inspired by things. You want to wake up in the morning and think the future is going to be great. That's what being a spacefaring civilization is all about. It's about believing in the future and believing the future will be better than the past. And I can't think of anything more exciting than being out there among the stars.

Offline taidman

• New York
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #8 on: 08/11/2020 03:51 pm »

Anyone good at GIS? Any large plots available between BC and Brownsville?

Offline su27k

• Liked: 9098
  • Likes Given: 885
« Reply #9 on: 08/11/2020 05:17 pm »

I don't think there's a contradiction here. SpaceX didn't say "It's too dangerous to live here", they said there will be a lot more disruptions, the guests in the resort wouldn't mind disruptions if they're in the resort to watch the disruptions. And I assume they can ask guests to sign waivers, like the waivers handed out to guests watching a launch, I think there's a difference between heading into potentially dangerous area willingly and having potential danger moving in next door of your home.

Anyway, they advertised this position a few months ago, it did generate some negative press and they removed the job ads quickly. Now that they're doing this again, I wonder if something changed.
« Last Edit: 08/11/2020 05:34 pm by su27k »

Offline DistantTemple

• England
  • Liked: 1696
  • Likes Given: 2824
« Reply #10 on: 08/11/2020 05:29 pm »

Since its a "space"resort, and "will be" 100% effectively controlled by SX, any guests, patrons, contractors, and employees will naturally observe all safety procedures, including going outside, vacating the area, retreating outside checkpoints...  (And this is moot because of the beach and HW4, but SX would not have to get external authority for these disruptions). And the houses will not be used as anyone's permanent main residence. (EM has other sofas!)

Its pretty clear that Elon likes the scene where the team is living on the job and works 24/7 (well 12 hrs a day). Everyone is fired up by the mission, the technical challenges, the engineering the successes. They live/camp together and party together. Just like the Falcon 1. Lots of workers in various industries "bunk" on site. However at BC, even that is transformed!

Visitors, investors, even dignitaries may be put up there! "Come down to BC and meat the crew, see how we do things, its a great atmosphere." - no spoiling the effect by sending people to a drab business hotel in Brownsville. 
We can always grow new new dendrites. Reach out and make connections and your world will burst with new insights. Then repose in consciousness.

Offline DistantTemple

• England
  • Liked: 1696
  • Likes Given: 2824
« Reply #11 on: 08/11/2020 05:33 pm »
"Sorry Elon I absolutely said I'd see the kids this weekend".
"No problem, bring them down here".
We can always grow new new dendrites. Reach out and make connections and your world will burst with new insights. Then repose in consciousness.

Offline Zed_Noir

• Canada
  • Liked: 1801
  • Likes Given: 1296
« Reply #12 on: 08/11/2020 05:51 pm »

Think you can get a medium to large cruise ship really cheap right now. As long as you don't pack it up beyond 16% of it's rated capacity and maintain strict health protocols it should be worked. It is a lot easier than finding enough land between Boca Chica and Brownsville to developed from scratch into  some sort of resort. Could be a floating launch viewing stand for Starship test flights.

Offline Texsun

« Reply #13 on: 08/11/2020 05:53 pm »
The guests at the "resort" (let's just say, "deluxe accommodations") will likely be limited to paying customers awaiting their flight, SpaceX employees from other locations on site to work, and others from among the strictly Space Business crowd.

I can't imagine any good reason to be inviting tourists just for the sake of them having a Kodak moment, taking a tour, and heading home.

Well, except for space alien tourists, of course.
« Last Edit: 08/11/2020 05:55 pm by Texsun »

Offline jpo234

• Liked: 2279
  • Likes Given: 2184
« Reply #14 on: 08/11/2020 08:09 pm »
The guests at the "resort" (let's just say, "deluxe accommodations") will likely be limited to paying customers awaiting their flight, SpaceX employees from other locations on site to work, and others from among the strictly Space Business crowd.

I can't imagine any good reason to be inviting tourists just for the sake of them having a Kodak moment, taking a tour, and heading home.

Haven't you seen the crowds that came to watch the FH launch? Now imagine the interest the first manned flight to Mars would create. Or "just" Maezawa san flying around the Moon...

If (I know it's a big if) #dearmoon launches on schedule in '23, then lunar test flights can't be more than a year away.
« Last Edit: 08/11/2020 08:11 pm by jpo234 »
You want to be inspired by things. You want to wake up in the morning and think the future is going to be great. That's what being a spacefaring civilization is all about. It's about believing in the future and believing the future will be better than the past. And I can't think of anything more exciting than being out there among the stars.

Offline ShSch

« Reply #15 on: 08/11/2020 10:16 pm »

Haven't you seen the crowds that came to watch the FH launch? Now imagine the interest the first manned flight to Mars would create. Or "just" Maezawa san flying around the Moon...
They will all go to South Padre Island where launch viewing facilities have already been installed: https://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=46358.0

Offline JohnM

• Liked: 77
  • Likes Given: 33
« Reply #16 on: 08/11/2020 11:25 pm »

Offline Texsun

« Reply #17 on: 08/12/2020 01:49 am »

If (I know it's a big if) #dearmoon launches on schedule in '23, then lunar test flights can't be more than a year away.

I wasn't saying "people" aren't interested. I was saying there is no good reason for SpaceX to build a resort for them. S. Padre is right there and they are accustomed to catering to the masses.

Why would SpaceX want to hire resort expertise? This is the question. I don't think the first answer is tourism.

Maezawa-san is more in the ballpark for the reasoning behind SpaceX wanting nice digs on hand for VIPs.

Offline RotoSequence

• Liked: 2068
  • Likes Given: 1535
« Reply #18 on: 08/12/2020 01:51 am »
I wasn't saying "people" aren't interested. I was saying there is no good reason for SpaceX to build a resort for them. S. Padre is right there and they are accustomed to catering to the masses.

Why would SpaceX want to hire resort expertise? This is the question. I don't think the first answer is tourism.

Maezawa-san is more in the ballpark for the reasoning behind SpaceX wanting nice digs on hand for VIPs.

South Padre has a rather roundabout route to Boca Chica as well.

Offline DiskOperatingSystem

• Chicago
  • Liked: 31
  • Likes Given: 42
« Reply #19 on: 08/12/2020 02:07 am »
How might this change up the environmental review that Boca Chica is currently under? It seems as if SpaceX will hire a resort developer and A) either have to go through yet another major environmental review or B) integrate the current plans into the review. The speed at which the spaceport is going up seems like it would make the review more difficult. I just hope the Resort Developer takes into account the incredible nature around the area and integrates it rather than destroy it.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography