Author Topic: Boca Chica Resort  (Read 44622 times)

Offline Kit344

Re: Boca Chica Resort
« Reply #100 on: 12/18/2020 04:34 pm »
I was reading about the history of Boca Chica on a couple of other websites, including Wikipedia.

I'm just trying to understand how many original residents of Boca Chica village are still living there ?

It seems to be possibly less than 10.
Does anyone here know the answer to this ?

I hope that this is appropriate for this forum, if not could you please point to a more suitable place.

Check out this thread, much more info and probably a better place to ask: https://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=49090.0

Thanks, I just found that after I posted here, it seems like the less than 10 was about right.
I had previously assumed that it was closer to 50 or 100.

Offline kessdawg

• Liked: 316
  • Likes Given: 1554
« Reply #101 on: 01/12/2021 05:25 pm »
Not sure how official it is, but the Boca Chica restaurant has a listing on Google Maps. The Prancing Pony

Offline Tommyboy

• The Netherlands
  • Liked: 373
  • Likes Given: 598
« Reply #102 on: 01/12/2021 06:52 pm »
Not sure how official it is, but the Boca Chica restaurant has a listing on Google Maps. The Prancing Pony
For the people like me who have to google that reference: It's from The Lord of the Rings.

Offline raivo45

• Liked: 277
  • Likes Given: 389
« Reply #103 on: 01/12/2021 07:04 pm »
Pretty sure anyone can add these location names on google maps. Elon called it "The Pranching Pony", while responding to someone on Twitter a few days ago. Probably not serious tho...  :'(

Offline jstrotha0975

• United States
  • Liked: 334
  • Likes Given: 2614
« Reply #104 on: 01/12/2021 08:54 pm »
I've been trying to push Starship Dining Facility myself.
« Last Edit: 01/13/2021 03:23 pm by jstrotha0975 »

Offline Zed_Noir

• Canada
  • Liked: 1801
  • Likes Given: 1296
« Reply #105 on: 01/14/2021 08:15 pm »
Pretty sure anyone can add these location names on google maps. Elon called it "The Pranching Pony", while responding to someone on Twitter a few days ago. Probably not serious tho...  :'(

AIUI. A tweet by Elon is official notice of something in one of his companies. Unless clarified or cancel in a later tweet.

Offline raivo45

• Liked: 277
  • Likes Given: 389
« Reply #106 on: 01/15/2021 03:43 pm »

AIUI. A tweet by Elon is official notice of something in one of his companies. Unless clarified or cancel in a later tweet.

I said that he's probably not serious because I assume "The Prancing Pony" is probably copyrighted/trademarked by whoever owns the rights to Tolkien's books. I don't really know how these things work so I might be wrong...

Offline edzieba

• Virtual Realist
  • United Kingdom
  • Liked: 9274
  • Likes Given: 38
« Reply #107 on: 01/15/2021 04:16 pm »

I said that he's probably not serious because I assume "The Prancing Pony" is probably copyrighted/trademarked by whoever owns the rights to Tolkien's books. I don't really know how these things work so I might be wrong...
Copyright does not work that way (you cannot name a fictional entity in a book/film/etc and then attempt to demands rights for that name from real entities). And there are already multiple pubs (and other establishments) worldwide named 'The Prancing Pony'.

Offline waveney

« Reply #108 on: 01/15/2021 06:13 pm »

Copyright does not work that way (you cannot name a fictional entity in a book/film/etc and then attempt to demands rights for that name from real entities). And there are already multiple pubs (and other establishments) worldwide named 'The Prancing Pony'.

Trademarking is a much stronger protection, but it requires it to have been explicitly trademarked and fees paid around the world to maintain the protection.   Copyrighting is much much weaker (but free).  A phrase such as "The Prancing Pony" is not copywriteable, but it could have been trademarked (but wont have been).

Offline DistantTemple

• England
  • Liked: 1696
  • Likes Given: 2824
« Reply #109 on: 01/15/2021 07:10 pm »

Trademarking is a much stronger protection, but it requires it to have been explicitly trademarked and fees paid around the world to maintain the protection.   Copyrighting is much much weaker (but free).  A phrase such as "The Prancing Pony" is not copywriteable, but it could have been trademarked (but wont have been).
Since Elon called this "The Prancing Pony", I predict that the first settlement on Mars will be called Rivendell.
It also suggests that Mars is only the first step, and as Gwynne says, Musk's aim for Mars is limited, but the aim is to be "out there among the stars".
I suggest Elon has sold us the Mars objective, as its achievable, and has the justification of preserving the seed of humanity, whereas privately to him this is the beginning of a much longer journey.
« Last Edit: 01/15/2021 08:26 pm by DistantTemple »
We can always grow new new dendrites. Reach out and make connections and your world will burst with new insights. Then repose in consciousness.

Offline Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
  • A large LEGO storage facility ... in Michigan
  • Liked: 11864
  • Likes Given: 11086
« Reply #110 on: 01/16/2021 02:31 am »
Since Elon called this "The Prancing Pony", I predict that the first settlement on Mars will be called Rivendell.
It also suggests that Mars is only the first step, and as Gwynne says, Musk's aim for Mars is limited, but the aim is to be "out there among the stars".
I suggest Elon has sold us the Mars objective, as its achievable, and has the justification of preserving the seed of humanity, whereas privately to him this is the beginning of a much longer journey.
The Stars, our Destiny. 
O that I live to see that day.

Let's bring it back on topic tho....
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY

Offline Eka

• Land between two rivers.
  • Liked: 441
  • Likes Given: 864
« Reply #111 on: 01/16/2021 06:06 pm »

Gwynne is the star one. Her goal is to go to the stars.

As for The Prancing Pony, that name is ancient. The first use of it is likely lost to time.
We talk about creating a Star Trek future, but will end up with The Expanse if radical change doesn't happen.

Offline RoadWithoutEnd

• Liked: 340
  • Likes Given: 442
« Reply #112 on: 01/20/2021 11:07 am »
The restaurant is low-key gonna end up very interesting.  I think it was Mary who said that Elon's letting the landscapers play around with the look and the design strategy.  The way everything just seems to look cooler and cooler over time in BC, that place could end up being a surprise diamond.
Walk the road without end, and all tomorrows unfold like music.

Online LMT

• Lake Matthew Team
    • Lake Matthew
  • Liked: 423
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #113 on: 01/26/2021 03:31 pm »
Resort trivia:  The first attempted rocket-assisted landing at Boca Chica occurred in 1933. 

Prelude to Boca Chica spacediving?

"The rocketeer who never was"
-by Mark Wade

By April 1933, Swan lined up an agreement with a newspaper for a spectacular stunt in Texas. As part of a skydiving exhibition at the Del Mar Beach Resort on Boca Chica, he worked out an elaborate routine. He would bail out of an aircraft, dropping flares and rockets on small chutes as he was in free fall. Finally he would ignite a rocket strapped to his back and head toward the beach, to land in front of the crowd.
« Last Edit: 01/27/2021 12:19 pm by LMT »

Offline Ludus

• Liked: 1255
  • Likes Given: 1016
« Reply #114 on: 07/05/2021 10:34 pm »
I was curious how far Starbase was from South Padre Island with an existing resort community so I looked on Google Earth. The Starbase work is too recent to even show up, so it shows things before that.

Turns out Boca Chica/ Starbase is 5.5 miles from South Padre Island in a straight line. About 11 miles of Loop tunnels would let Starbase be only a few minutes from South Padre resorts for authorized people but restrict access to others.

South Padre Island seems much better suited as a place for employees and visitors or for SpaceX to build anything related to that rather than right next to Starbase itself. The problem is it’s too far away by road. Loop would correct that.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography