Author Topic: #dearMoon - Starship First Contracted Private Passenger Flight - DISCUSSION  (Read 291582 times)

Offline TripleSeven

• Istanbul Turkey and Santa Fe TEXAS USA
  • Liked: 588
  • Likes Given: 2095
Re: SpaceX v.s. NASA to the moon.

Elon will scrupulously avoid making any comparison to NASA's plan. He made it clear in a tweet yesterday that SpaceX would not be where it is today were it not for NASA and he is grateful for their confidence and support. So let's not go there please.

Neither should we pretend that it won't happen. But NASA is not homogeneous. Some at NASA would love to work closer with SpaceX. Others will be dragged kicking and screaming. But it is NASA's "big program" that is stuck on the train track, and the Blue Origin/SpaceX train is coming.

But we'll see how it is portrayed tonight. If NASA is mentioned, it will be in very flowery language. That 'big program' will not be mentioned at all.

NASA has no space program...it is a series of gifts to contractors it has nothing to do with human space flight :) heck we agree on something :)

Offline Cinder

• Liked: 228
  • Likes Given: 1077
I don't like how he made it sound like he changed to a more riskier design for "aesthetics".  I find that very concerning...
He did say there were multiple possible solutions. Before saying that about the Tintin coincidence.
--
Elon : this is dangerous.  It will require a lot of training. We'll do everything we can to minimize that. [...] This is no small matter.

Q.  FH passengers: what happened to them and how did you react when this passenger came fwd with this proposal? 
A:. It was the same [person].
 BFR has room for 100 so we said maybe it's wise to have a few people and this passenger was gracious enough to offer seats to key influencers in society.  Instead of 2 you can have a dozen.  We'll leave a lot of room for a lot of spare parts food oxygen. In case something goes wrong.   I mean this is definitely a dangerous mission.  Yep.
« Last Edit: 09/18/2018 02:00 am by Cinder »
NEC ULTIMA SI PRIOR

Offline ThePonjaX

• BsAs. - Argentina
  • Liked: 233
  • Likes Given: 909
I don't like how he made it sound like he changed to a more riskier design for "aesthetics".  I find that very concerning...

They hired a professional customer designer to get the SpaceX suit nice but it's full functional.  NASA approved it.
This is the same they choose just to make it symmetrical but the function isn't compromised.

Offline meekGee

• N. California
  • Liked: 12144
  • Likes Given: 1337
I guess the Starlink satellite names were a hint...

-----
ABCD: Always Be Counting Down

ABCD - Always Be Counting Down

Offline EnigmaSCADA

• Earth
  • Liked: 107
  • Likes Given: 0
I'm torn about this. If I were this unprepared for a "presentation" on something far more insignificant than this press conference I'd never show my face again. I really hope no part of the motivation for this announcement was to lure any investment, paying passengers or otherwise, because it's not very confidence inspiring. I root for SpaceX hard but this is rough just to watch. Coincidentally, watching this I have "Japanese syndrome", as my godmother would say (ie. being unbearably embarrassed for someone else's embarrassing circumstance).

Offline mme

• Santa Barbara, CA, USA, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Virgo Supercluster
  • Liked: 2021
  • Likes Given: 5358
It looks like a whale. I hate it.   ;D
If it succeeds, I bet you'll learn to love it. :)
Space is not Highlander.  There can, and will, be more than one.

Offline Lars-J

• California
  • Liked: 8142
  • Likes Given: 5191
I'm torn about this. If I were this unprepared for a "presentation" on something far more insignificant than this press conference I'd never show my face again. I really hope no part of the motivation for this announcement was to lure any investment, paying passengers or otherwise, because it's not very confidence inspiring. I root for SpaceX hard but this is rough just to watch. Coincidentally, watching this I have "Japanese syndrome", as my godmother would say (ie. being unbearably embarrassed for someone else's embarrassing circumstance).

I guess you have never heard Elon speak before. This is his usual style.  :) People like him for his ideas, not his speaking style.
« Last Edit: 09/18/2018 02:06 am by Lars-J »

Offline meekGee

• N. California
  • Liked: 12144
  • Likes Given: 1337
I love the vibe of this, but make no mistake - this will rub a lot milspace people the wrong way...  And it will buy SpaceX the support of the other 99%

-----

ABCD - Always Be Counting Down

Offline AC in NC

• Raleigh NC
  • Liked: 3607
  • Likes Given: 1922
BFD ... Big F'ing Deposit

Offline Lars-J

• California
Hahha aft cargo - joke's on us!

-----

Props to you for owning it! :) In the end none of us was right.

But aft cargo makes a lot of sense for Moon and Mars landings, making some cargo very easy to unload.

Offline Cinder

"NASA remains highest priority. "
Less than 5% of SpaceX resources on BFR. This will change. As crew dragon completes we will shift to BFR. If things go well probably towards end of next year we will shift engineers to BFR.
« Last Edit: 09/18/2018 02:12 am by Cinder »
NEC ULTIMA SI PRIOR

Offline gdelottle

• Chile
  • Liked: 41
  • Likes Given: 69
I got a sort of "Barnum Circus" feeling. I tried hard but... don't like this. I will stick with my Apollo memories. Age issue, probably. Good luck Elon.
« Last Edit: 09/18/2018 02:12 am by gdelottle »

Offline JDTractorGuy

• Hello there.
  • Liked: 101
  • Likes Given: 20
Wait, December for the test flight?  I thought it was November.  Did I miss something or did it slip again?

Offline Cinder

BFR development approx 5B$   Not 10 but not less than 2.
NEC ULTIMA SI PRIOR

Offline moreno7798

This is a true departure from what we have grown up thinking about space travel (Astronauts, and science types). Elon has thought hard about how to truly bring space to the masses and even though the tourists on this flight will probably all be millionaires, this is a huge step to making space an aspiration to the general public. There's no question that a conscious effort was made not to make it a scientific mission (AS IT SHOULD BE).

I love NASA and everything it has done to advance science and even though they're in the same business, there couldn't be a wider gulf between NASA and SpaceX.
« Last Edit: 09/18/2018 02:40 am by moreno7798 »
The only humans that make no mistakes are the ones that do nothing. The only mistakes that are failures are the ones where nothing is learned.

Offline Entropy

• Missouri
  • Liked: 1
  • Likes Given: 18
It's hard to take Elon seriously... then he goes and does darn AMAZING things.   

Offline nenormal

• Liked: 15
  • Likes Given: 8
It hurts to say it, but this "presentation" or whatever it was, put this whole enterprise on the same level as Mars One, in terms of BS...

Offline Cinder

I got a sort of "Barnum Circus" feeling. I tried hard but... don't like this. I will stick with my Apollo memories. Age issue, probably. Good luck Elon.
Did you cringe when he made a point of insisting that fun is underrated or when he said whatever was the most fun they could have on the mission; that's what they'd try to do?

It hurts to say it, but this "presentation" or whatever it was, put this whole enterprise on the same level as Mars One, in terms of BS...
How does that follow?
« Last Edit: 09/18/2018 02:20 am by Cinder »
NEC ULTIMA SI PRIOR

Offline Lars-J

• California
Talk about journalist fail... You have the last question, and you ask the same question as the journalist before you. LOL.  ;D Have a backup question ready!

(Turns out that they opened it up for more questions, but still...)

Offline JBF

• Liked: 472
  • Likes Given: 914
Did you cringe when he made a point of insisting that fun is underrated or when he said whatever was the most fun they could have on the mission; that's what they'd try to do?
It's a tourist and inspirational flight, part of that is making sure there are interesting activities.
« Last Edit: 09/18/2018 02:24 am by JBF »
"In principle, rocket engines are simple, but thatís the last place rocket engines are ever simple." Jeff Bezos

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement SkyTale Software GmbH
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography