Author Topic: New SpaceX Operations Complex at the Cape (Roberts Rd.)  (Read 233799 times)

Offline AncientU

• Liked: 4163
  • Likes Given: 6080
SpaceX plans major expansion at KSC with futuristic launch control center
It will be an operational monument to Elon Musk's vision: a towering SpaceX launch control center, a 133,000-square-foot hangar and a rocket garden rising in the heart of Kennedy Space Center.

According to plans detailed in a draft environmental review published recently by KSC, SpaceX will undertake a major expansion of its facilities at the space center sometime in the not-too-distant future.

SpaceX estimates there could be up 63 landings a year of Falcon 9 and Falcon Heavy boosters, according to the draft environmental review.

https://www.floridatoday.com/story/tech/science/space/2018/06/08/spacex-plans-major-expansion-kennedy-space-center/685098002/
« Last Edit: 08/10/2019 10:39 pm by gongora »
"If we shared everything [we are working on] people would think we are insane!"
-- SpaceX friend of mlindner

Offline gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
  • Liked: 11525
  • Likes Given: 5158
Re: New SpaceX Operations Complex at the Cape (Roberts Rd.)
« Reply #1 on: 06/08/2018 07:28 pm »
The document.  (How would you find this if you didn't already know it was there?)

Offline Cheapchips

• UK
  • Liked: 783
  • Likes Given: 1711
« Reply #2 on: 06/08/2018 07:38 pm »
The document.  (How would you find this if you didn't already know it was there?)
down to the cellar to find them.”
“That’s the display department.”
“With a flashlight.”
“Ah, well, the lights had probably gone.”
“So had the stairs.”
“But look, you found the notice, didn’t you?”
“Yes,” said Arthur, “yes I did. It was on display in the bottom of a locked filing cabinet stuck in a disused lavatory with a sign on the door saying ‘Beware of the Leopard"

Offline Tomness

• Into the abyss will I run
  • Liked: 246
  • Likes Given: 711
« Reply #3 on: 06/08/2018 07:51 pm »
I like it, go big or go home, right spot to see launches from LC-40 & LC-39A and what ever else will be at KSC. they could even rent viewing space to other clients for other launches if desired.

Offline Joffan

I thought stalk buildings had gone out of fashion some time ago, the effort of building just (say) a 10th and 11th floor being as high as, or higher than, building all the floors up to that point. With fewer opportunities for future use.
Getting through max-Q for humanity becoming fully spacefaring

Offline Scylla

• Clinton NC, USA
  • Liked: 1130
  • Likes Given: 150
« Reply #5 on: 06/08/2018 08:14 pm »
Do you really want to build something like that in a hurricane zone?
I reject your reality and substitute my own--Doctor Who

Offline wannamoonbase

• Elite Veteran
  • Denver, CO
    • U.S. Metric Association
  • Liked: 2558
  • Likes Given: 3259
« Reply #6 on: 06/08/2018 08:31 pm »
That will keep their construction crews busy after their pad work in Boca and factory in long beach in a few years.

Permitting may take that long so may as well start.
Superheavy + Starship the final push to launch commit!

Offline John Alan

• Central IL - USA - Earth
    • Home of the ThreadRipper Cadillac
  • Liked: 721
  • Likes Given: 2735
« Reply #7 on: 06/08/2018 08:39 pm »
Water tower structures by design go up quick and can and have stood up to tornados in the plains...
I think it's brilliant to convert a big 300ft tall one into a "launch control tower and center"...  8)
« Last Edit: 06/08/2018 08:55 pm by John Alan »

Offline Chris Bergin

Looks like a designed release to Florida Today (no problem with that, it's their beat!). Very controlled. Senator Nelson had a pre-written statement and just tweeted that article, etc. Clever if you think about the design of this news. "Local jobs!"

We got the previous two, including the one for Blue Origin....
https://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2017/03/blue-origin-making-cape-orbital-launch-site/

... but this one was hidden! ;D

Sure looks exciting.
« Last Edit: 06/08/2018 09:09 pm by Chris Bergin »
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline testguy

• Clifton, Virginia
  • Liked: 617
  • Likes Given: 567
« Reply #9 on: 06/08/2018 09:26 pm »
It looks like this plan should dove tail well with BFR(S).  BFR gets more real daily.

Offline AncientU

« Reply #10 on: 06/08/2018 09:42 pm »
I thought stalk buildings had gone out of fashion some time ago, the effort of building just (say) a 10th and 11th floor being as high as, or higher than, building all the floors up to that point. With fewer opportunities for future use.

Very reminiscent of airport control towers around the world...  launch operations quite forward looking.
https://www.google.com/search?q=airport+control+towers&client=firefox-b-1&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiI6fXig8XbAhWit1kKHRMuCP4Q_AUICigB&biw=1390&bih=758
« Last Edit: 06/08/2018 09:44 pm by AncientU »

Offline philw1776

• Seacoast NH
  • Liked: 1790
  • Likes Given: 875
« Reply #11 on: 06/08/2018 09:43 pm »
Interestingly the plan does not mention BFR/BFS yet explicitly mentions F9 and FH.  Will need at least a supplemental plan and public review to cover BFR/BFS environmental impact.  Meanwhile no known environmental plan or public review for Boca Chica and BFS.
FULL SEND!!!!

Offline AncientU

« Reply #12 on: 06/08/2018 09:57 pm »
Interestingly the plan does not mention BFR/BFS yet explicitly mentions F9 and FH.  Will need at least a supplemental plan and public review to cover BFR/BFS environmental impact.  Meanwhile no known environmental plan or public review for Boca Chica and BFS.

If you can justify this development based on existing launch requirements, why take a poke at a certain politically-favored launch system.  The complex is leaving plenty of room (around 60% of the land area) for future vehicle processing facilities.  The control tower could just as easily handle multiple flights per day as one per week...

Online Alexphysics

• Spain
  • Liked: 4049
  • Likes Given: 845
« Reply #13 on: 06/08/2018 10:29 pm »
The document says things like:

In the future, additional facilities may be required for manifest support or new launch vehicle specifications. However, at this time, the scope of future needs has not been defined and these facilities are not in planned development.

or like...

In addition, the Proposed Action is needed to facilitate a shift in operations to support both cargo and crew missions to the ISS, as well as a handful of deep space missions from the east coast of the U.S.

or...

Road improvements would include paving Roberts Road and A Avenue to support two lanes along the length of the site and adding a left turn lane capability on SR 3. Internal site roads would provide access to facilities within the site boundary. As SpaceX develops new vehicles, Roberts Road could be expanded to provide four-lane capability, if needed.

The document leaves clear that SpaceX has the possibility opened for any expansion they may plan in the future (obviously, BFR).

Offline edkyle99

• Expert
  • Liked: 7291
  • Likes Given: 1175
« Reply #14 on: 06/08/2018 10:31 pm »
I like the idea of SpaceX having its own centralized facility, but I cannot for the life of me understand why the company would want to force its control team to climb (ride elevators, of course) to the top of a 300-ish foot tower to do their jobs.  That is beyond unnecessary.  It creates safety issues that don't need to be created, etc., and it costs money that doesn't need to be spent.

- Ed Kyle
« Last Edit: 06/08/2018 10:31 pm by edkyle99 »

Offline docmordrid

• Michigan
  • Liked: 4189
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #15 on: 06/08/2018 11:18 pm »
I like the idea of SpaceX having its own centralized facility, but I cannot for the life of me understand why the company would want to force its control team to climb (ride elevators, of course) to the top of a 300-ish foot tower to do their jobs.  That is beyond unnecessary.  It creates safety issues that don't need to be created, etc., and it costs money that doesn't need to be spent.

- Ed Kyle

The same could be said of VAB (526 feet/160.3 m)  or any high-rise in the coastal SE US. Do you really think the architect hasn't run it through storm simulations?
« Last Edit: 06/08/2018 11:20 pm by docmordrid »
DM

Offline Lars-J

• California
  • Liked: 8140
  • Likes Given: 5184
« Reply #16 on: 06/08/2018 11:20 pm »
That looks more like a viewing tower for the public rather than a control team building. My assumption would be that this is either a misunderstanding with the wrong artwork.

Offline erikdurn

• Florida
  • Liked: 15
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #17 on: 06/08/2018 11:31 pm »
That looks more like a viewing tower for the public rather than a control team building. My assumption would be that this is either a misunderstanding with the wrong artwork.

Two SpaceX reps were involved in the creation of the document (page 55). I doubt they would sign off on having an incorrect description or the wrong artwork.

Offline docmordrid

• Michigan
  • Liked: 4189
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #18 on: 06/08/2018 11:52 pm »
From the draft EA,
DM

Offline IanThePineapple

- Ed Kyle

The same could be said of VAB (526 feet/160.3 m)  or any high-rise in the coastal SE US. Do you really think the architect hasn't run it through storm simulations?

Even if there is concern over storms, they could pretty easily add guy wires to the tower.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement SkyTale Software GmbH
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography