Author Topic: Current NSF Forum Feedback Thread 2  (Read 169722 times)

Offline gaballard

• Los Angeles
  • Liked: 1499
  • Likes Given: 1174
Re: Current NSF Forum Feedback Thread 2
« Reply #300 on: 12/12/2020 05:27 pm »
Would love to see a “block user” function. Some people add nothing but frustration to the forum experience and it’d be nice to be able to personally modulate that.
"I venture the challenging statement that if American democracy ceases to move forward as a living force, seeking day and night by peaceful means to better the lot of our citizens, fascism will grow in strength in our land." — FDR

Offline AnalogMan

• Cambridge, UK
  • Liked: 1599
  • Likes Given: 50
« Reply #301 on: 12/12/2020 06:28 pm »
Would love to see a “block user” function. Some people add nothing but frustration to the forum experience and it’d be nice to be able to personally modulate that.

You can sort of block individual users:

Profile > Modify Profile > Buddies/Ignore List... > Edit Ignore List

Add name of user you want to ignore.

I added your username to my ignore list, and this is how your posts are displayed.

(I un-ignored you after I took the screen grab  :) )

Online rsdavis9

« Reply #302 on: 12/15/2020 10:22 pm »
I have stopped getting email notifications. About 5:30pm last night(monday). I have checked my gmail.com account and there is nothing in spam.

Anybody else?
With ELV best efficiency was the paradigm. The new paradigm is reusable, good enough, and commonality of design.
Same engines. Design once. Same vehicle. Design once. Reusable. Build once.

Offline Ken the Bin

• US Pacific Time Zone
    • @kenthebin@spacey.space
  • Liked: 5136
  • Likes Given: 5539
« Reply #303 on: 12/15/2020 10:24 pm »
I have stopped getting email notifications. About 5:30pm last night(monday). I have checked my gmail.com account and there is nothing in spam.

Anybody else?

Yes, I started a topic here: https://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=52577.0

Offline clongton

• Expert
  • Connecticut
    • Direct Launcher
  • Liked: 7347
  • Likes Given: 3749
« Reply #304 on: 12/19/2020 12:43 pm »
I have noticed - consistently - that whenever a topic is "merged" that when I open it, it always go back to page 1, no matter how many pages there are in the thread. It does not recognize that I receive notifications of new postings, which is supposed to take me to the 1st unread post. All I can do is move to the last page and search backward until I find the last one I read and start from there. Is this something that can be corrected?
« Last Edit: 12/19/2020 12:44 pm by clongton »
Chuck - DIRECT co-founder
I started my career on the Saturn-V F-1A engine

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #305 on: 12/19/2020 12:46 pm »
I have noticed - consistently - that whenever a topic is "merged" that when I open it, it always go back to page 1, no matter how many pages there are in the thread. It does not recognize that I receive notifications of new postings, which is supposed to take me to the 1st unread post. All I can do is move to the last page and search backward until I find the last one I read and start from there. Is this something that can be corrected?

I don't think so. The merge of a thread merges two thread IDs together. So that'll be why.
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline TrevorMonty

« Reply #306 on: 12/19/2020 08:52 pm »
Keeps dropping NSF every 24hrs and have to log back in. Can't find anything on web. Alternative is dig it and revert back to browser.

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk

Offline zubenelgenubi

• Global Moderator
  • Arc to Arcturus, then Spike to Spica
  • Sometimes it feels like Trantor in the time of Hari Seldon
  • Liked: 7392
  • Likes Given: 72406
« Reply #307 on: 12/20/2020 12:15 pm »
Moderator:
I split/merged recent Tapatalk discussion to the dedicated thread:  The (nothing to do with NSF but I use) Tapatalk Feedback Thread.
Support your local planetarium! (COVID-panic and forward: Now more than ever.) My current avatar is saying "i wants to go uppies!" Yes, there are God-given rights. Do you wish to gainsay the Declaration of Independence?

Online Johnnyhinbos

• Boston, MA
  • Liked: 8095
  • Likes Given: 943
« Reply #308 on: 12/22/2020 07:54 pm »
I know there has been some resistance to establishing a naming convention for thread titles, but I would very much recommend prepending "L2 Level: " to all L2 threads. This is _almost_ a naming convention already. An example of a thread that doesn't indicate it's L2 is: "SLS Europa Mission with JPL Notes and Updates".

When reading threads using the "Unread Topics" link, it's easy to drop into a L2 thread without realizing it's L2.

Also - when I have limited time I'll go to the "Unread Topics" and scan the threads. I generally will read anything L2 as well as the Update threads for our favorite backyard builder.

Just my (L)2 cents...
John Hanzl. Author, action / adventure www.johnhanzl.com

Offline clongton

• Expert
  • Connecticut
    • Direct Launcher
  • Liked: 7347
  • Likes Given: 3749
« Reply #309 on: 12/22/2020 11:08 pm »
When reading threads using the "Unread Topics" link, it's easy to drop into a L2 thread without realizing it's L2.

It's happened to me more than once. Not listing a thread as L2 in the title makes it very easy to accidently share L2 information in a public thread because one didn't realize they were reading a L2 thread.
Chuck - DIRECT co-founder
I started my career on the Saturn-V F-1A engine

Offline Rebel44

• Liked: 546
  • Likes Given: 2012
« Reply #310 on: 12/25/2020 06:31 am »
FYI: in this thread, https://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=52134.40 poll results are not showing up - and I am not the only one with this issue.

Online Johnnyhinbos

• Boston, MA
  • Liked: 8095
  • Likes Given: 943
« Reply #311 on: 01/08/2021 04:08 pm »
User tip:

For folks who post things that need to be credited (ex: "Image credit: BocaChicaGal") and do it from a smartphone, try adding a keyboard shortcut to ease the tedium and assist in ensuring proper credit is given.

For example, when I type "icb" my iPhone replaces it with "Image Credit: BocaChicaGal"

I have icb, icl, icn, icr set up for this purpose...
John Hanzl. Author, action / adventure www.johnhanzl.com

Offline Jansen

• Liked: 2235
  • Likes Given: 373
« Reply #312 on: 01/15/2021 03:42 am »
There have been multiple calls for Starlink to get its own subsection in the SpaceX section.

Currently 8 of the first 10 threads in the SpaceX General section are Starlink related.

Offline Jansen

• Liked: 2235
  • Likes Given: 373
« Reply #313 on: 01/15/2021 03:50 am »
Starlink : General Discussion - Thread 2 has been locked for 3 days without explanation.

I’m assuming a third thread was supposed to be created but forgotten about. I’ve now created that thread in the interests of continued discussion.

https://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=52800.0
« Last Edit: 01/15/2021 03:51 am by Jansen »

Offline markododa

• Liked: 1
  • Likes Given: 111
« Reply #314 on: 02/01/2021 10:40 am »
Dunno if this is the right thread.
Are unread topics reset on monday? Seems like i had more unread's yesterday

Offline AnalogMan

• Cambridge, UK
  • Liked: 1599
  • Likes Given: 50
« Reply #315 on: 02/01/2021 11:55 am »

Some older unread topics will disappear from your current "unread topics" list, especially if you have seen them in the list previously but not looked at the marked topic at the time (I think a certain amount of time has to elapse before they are not shown though).

You can force the forum to show you all unread topics by modifying the url used for "unread topics" of the menu button:

It is normally https://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?action=unread;start=0

Modify it to  https://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?action=unread;all;start=0

and it will show all of them

Offline ChrisC

• Veteran
  • Liked: 1561
  • Likes Given: 1749
« Reply #316 on: 02/15/2021 04:18 pm »
Speaking of annoying embeds, I find the Youtube embedder a bit overeager. It's basically impossible to link a video from inside a post, it will even break up a paragraph of text if you explicitly put it in url tags.

FYI @niwax you can suppress the Youtube autoembedder by deleting the "www." in the URL.

I pointed this out to someone today, then wondered if this had been properly documented someplace, and came here looking.
« Last Edit: 02/15/2021 04:19 pm by ChrisC »
PSA #1: EST does NOT mean "Eastern Time".  Use "Eastern" or "ET" instead, all year round, and avoid this common error.  Google "EST vs EDT".
PSA #2: It's and its: know the difference and quietly impress grammar pedants.  Google "angry flower its" .  *** See profile for two more NSF forum tips. ***

Offline Hog

• Woodstock
  • Liked: 1700
  • Likes Given: 6866
« Reply #317 on: 02/19/2021 01:48 pm »

Some older unread topics will disappear from your current "unread topics" list, especially if you have seen them in the list previously but not looked at the marked topic at the time (I think a certain amount of time has to elapse before they are not shown though).

You can force the forum to show you all unread topics by modifying the url used for "unread topics" of the menu button:

It is normally https://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?action=unread;start=0

Modify it to  https://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?action=unread;all;start=0

Excellent.  I use NSF.com by going to the very end of my "Unread Topics" and begin reading posts in chronological order.  Prior to the "trick" you proposed, I would have lost all my Unread topics the moment I logged out. Visiting the site once a week usually has lots of unread topics for me to peruse.

To view all Unread Topics make teh addy "https://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?action=unread;all;start=0"  instead of the usual
"https://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?action=unread;start=0" which will reset after a logout possibly losing most of your Unread Topics
Thank you very much.
Paul

Online gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
  • Liked: 13885
  • Likes Given: 5933
« Reply #318 on: 02/19/2021 02:15 pm »

Excellent.  I use NSF.com by going to the very end of my "Unread Topics" and begin reading posts in chronological order.  Prior to the "trick" you proposed, I would have lost all my Unread topics the moment I logged out. Visiting the site once a week usually has lots of unread topics for me to peruse.

To view all Unread Topics make teh addy "https://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?action=unread;all;start=0"  instead of the usual
"https://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?action=unread;start=0" which will reset after a logout possibly losing most of your Unread Topics
Thank you very much.

At least on the desktop version, there is a button at the bottom of the unread topics page for that.

Offline Steve G

• Regular
  • Ottawa, ON
    • Stephen H Garrity
  • Liked: 616
  • Likes Given: 56
« Reply #319 on: 02/19/2021 02:43 pm »
One of my favourite forums is HISTORICAL SPACEFLIGHT, but with hundreds of topics and over 100 pages, it's next to impossible to navigate through all of the wonderful discussions. So I'd love to see it broken down to smaller, more navigable units, such as this.

HISTORICAL SPACEFLIGHT SUBFORUMS

MERCURY
GEMINI
APOLLO
SKYLAB
MOL
SHUTTLE
VOSTOK
VOSKHOD
SOYUZ
SALYUT
ALMAZ
SOVIET MANNED LUNAR
MIR
SATURN 1, 1B, V
N1 ROCKET
AMERICAN ROCKETS AND STAGES
RUSSIAN ROCKETS AND STAGES
WORLD ROCKETS AND STAGES
LUNAR UNMANNED
PLANETARY UNMANNED
MILITARY /  RECONNAISSANCE

A bit of work, certainly, but well worth it.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography