Author Topic: The (nothing to do with NSF but I use) Tapatalk Feedback Thread  (Read 124782 times)

Offline tyrred

• Seattle
  • Liked: 655
  • Likes Given: 15778
Has anyone encountered large ads recently when viewing this forum through Tapatalk? Due to their size and frequency they are very easy to hit. They also seem to cause the forum scrolling to stutter which again can cause you to hit them by accident.

Clearly not served by us, but by Tapatalk. Noticed a desktop forum using tapatalk as its software is now showing loads of ads and offering a "Premium ad free version".

As I've said before, Tapatalk sucks.

Are there long term plans to change away from it?

I will if they keep this up. Surely they must realise this will drive users away from them full stop, rather than driving them to the premium version which I suspect is what they hope will happen.

Abandoned Tapatalk.  It sucked.  Now I just use the mobile NSF on Android, and while I cannot "like" posts I get a much more serviceable view. YMMV.

Offline niwax

• Germany
    • SpaceX Booster List
  • Liked: 1880
  • Likes Given: 159
So... This is new? No idea what went wrong here. Browser is Safari on current version of iOS on IPhone XS.
Which booster has the most soot? SpaceX booster launch history! (discussion)

Offline russianhalo117

• Liked: 3909
  • Likes Given: 750
So... This is new? No idea what went wrong here. Browser is Safari on current version of iOS on IPhone XS.
It's an old bug in the mobile version of the SMF4Mobile software (v1.2). It will spread slowly across your forum account and gradually affect more and more threads. There is no known fix in the version being used at present. The latest version which is compatible withe the lateat coding standards and protocols amongst other changes for newer devices is v2.5.1.

It does not occur at all on the normal full site version.

And a note that you posted this issue in the incorrect thread.
« Last Edit: 10/12/2019 08:20 pm by russianhalo117 »

Offline Star One

• UK
  • Liked: 3694
  • Likes Given: 220
Anyone know what happened as early today here in the UK about four or five hours ago the forum disappeared from Tapatalk, it couldnít be found, but now itís back?

Offline Chris Bergin

No idea. Nothing to do with us. Site's been up throughout.
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline russianhalo117

• Liked: 3909
  • Likes Given: 750
I would like the forum to add a do not ask me to install tapatalk multiple times a week option. A forum pop-up keeps prompting me to download and install the app.

ADD:  I have never used this pointless tapatalk service.
« Last Edit: 04/04/2020 10:52 pm by russianhalo117 »

Offline jpo234

• Liked: 2110
  • Likes Given: 1798
I don't see images in tapatalk since the server overload during the DM-2 launch attempt.
You want to be inspired by things. You want to wake up in the morning and think the future is going to be great. That's what being a spacefaring civilization is all about. It's about believing in the future and believing the future will be better than the past. And I can't think of anything more exciting than being out there among the stars.

Offline the_other_Doug

• Minneapolis, MN
  • Liked: 2187
  • Likes Given: 4624
I would like the forum to add a do not ask me to install tapatalk multiple times a week option. A forum pop-up keeps prompting me to download and install the app.

ADD:  I have never used this pointless tapatalk service.

I don't believe that's the forum prompting the Tapatalk install request, to be honest (though I could be wrong).  I see that on multiple fora when accessing through my phone.  I think it's built in to the device.  Wonder how much the Tapatalk people paid the phone providers to put that little gem into their phones...?

And agreed, Tapatalk is a solution to a non-existent problem literally no one has...
-Doug  (With my shield, not yet upon it)

Offline ulm_atms

• Rocket Junky
  • To boldly go where no government has gone before.
  • Calhoun, LA
  • Liked: 1302
  • Likes Given: 340
I am curious...why do you all use Taptalk on this forum in the first place?

I use "desktop site" mode on my android device for this forum and it works perfectly on both phone and tablet devices.

Taptalk is grade A garbage the few times I tried to use it.

Offline Johnnyhinbos

• Boston, MA
  • Liked: 8081
  • Likes Given: 939
NASASpaceFlight forum has disappeared out of my Tapatalk app and when I search for the forum itís no found.

Has anything changed? Anyone else experiencing this?

John
John Hanzl. Author, action / adventure www.johnhanzl.com

Offline Eer

• Liked: 369
  • Likes Given: 628
NASASpaceFlight forum has disappeared out of my Tapatalk app and when I search for the forum itís no found.

John
Similarly on my iPhone Tapatalk app.  I can generally persuade it to bring it back at the cost of needing to relogin. Over and over again, today. I'm believing it's to do with an IOS or Tapatalk app update.  Would like it to return, as I still find it a better forum experience than the mobile browser experience, and I can no longer see the fonts to read them on the full website interface on my iPhone.
From "The Rhetoric of Interstellar Flight", by Paul Gilster, March 10, 2011: Weíll build a future in space one dogged step at a time, and when asked how long humanity will struggle before reaching the stars, weíll respond, ďAs long as it takes.Ē

Offline Chris Bergin

John

Mark says no. So it'll likely be just tapatalk being as awful as per usual.
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Online old_geez

• Kenmore
  • Liked: 45
  • Likes Given: 0

John
Similarly on my iPhone Tapatalk app.  I can generally persuade it to bring it back at the cost of needing to relogin. Over and over again, today. I'm believing it's to do with an IOS or Tapatalk app update.  Would like it to return, as I still find it a better forum experience than the mobile browser experience, and I can no longer see the fonts to read them on the full website interface on my iPhone.

Iím in the same boat. I love using Tapatalk but NSF seems to have gone completely

Offline Johnnyhinbos

• Boston, MA

John

Mark says no. So it'll likely be just tapatalk being as awful as per usual.
Update: This morning I was able to add NSF back into Tapatalk. All seems nominal...

Offline Johnnyhinbos

• Boston, MA
NASASpaceFlight forum has disappeared out of my Tapatalk app and when I search for the forum it’s no found.

John

I’m in the same boat. I love using Tapatalk but NSF seems to have gone completely
After a 24 hour outage I was able to add NSF back in, so try to re-add it every few hours. It should become available at some point. I also recommend logging out of Tapatalk and logging back in before trying to add NSF.

Online Lars-J

• California
  • Liked: 8141
  • Likes Given: 5184
I'm also having tapatalk issues, both on my iPhone and iPad. This started happening yesterday.

When I refresh the main tapatalk list of my forums, NSF goes away. And it is not listed in the Tapatalk search. (Did it get de-listed?)

The only way I can get NSF added back to tapatalk is by navigating to https://forum.nasaspaceflight.com in safari, click on the Tapatalk banner, and then the click the follow button. (and then I have to log in again). But if I refresh the main tapatalk forum list (and it does it on its own at least once per day), then NSF goes away again.

Normally I wouldn't care, but the mobile NSF is not very good.

(Note that none of my other 5 forums I use with Tapatalk are having this issue)
« Last Edit: 12/19/2020 10:10 pm by Lars-J »

Offline yokem55

• Oregon (Ore-uh-gun dammit)
  • Liked: 459
  • Likes Given: 12
It appears that NSF is now completely delisted/unavailable on Tapatalk. I preferred it as it was quite a bit faster to navigate through the forum than the mobile or shrunken desktop site. No worries if it doesn't come back, but I'll miss it a bit

Online wholmeswa

• Liked: 16
  • Likes Given: 127
Gone for me as well.

Online Lars-J

• California
I am curious...why do you all use Taptalk on this forum in the first place?

I use "desktop site" mode on my android device for this forum and it works perfectly on both phone and tablet devices.

Taptalk is grade A garbage the few times I tried to use it.

The Android version may be hot garbage, but the iOS version is not. Tapatalk is superior for me compared to the mobile browser on a smaller device, and the default mobile site ... is not great. (and it seems to want to switch back from the desktop version to mobile). I even prefer to use on iPad vs the desktop browser. All it is missing is the like feature, which is not essential.

But opinions clearly differ.
« Last Edit: 12/20/2020 01:22 am by Lars-J »

Online Lars-J

• California
No idea. Nothing to do with us. Site's been up throughout.

Might still be worth double checking, because NSF is the only Tapatalk connected forum that I have this issue with. (I have 5 other forums connected to my Tapatalk apps)

Tags: Space galaxy astronomy 

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement SkyTale Software GmbH
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography