Author Topic: Sierra Space Dream Chaser UPDATE Thread (was SNC)  (Read 740633 times)

Online Chris Bergin

Re: SNC Dream Chaser UPDATE Thread
« Reply #360 on: 01/24/2014 03:19 pm »
Article. 2,000 worder....some background and forward plans wrapped around the announcement:

http://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2014/01/dream-chasers-ksc-vision-2016-debut/
« Last Edit: 01/24/2014 03:20 pm by Chris Bergin »
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline woods170

• IRAS fan
  • IRAS fan
  • The Netherlands
  • Liked: 18197
  • Likes Given: 12158
« Reply #361 on: 01/24/2014 03:35 pm »
Article. 2,000 worder....some background and forward plans wrapped around the announcement:

Good write-up Chris. Well done.

Offline mheney

• The Next Man on the Moon
  • Global Moderator
  • Silver Spring, MD
  • Liked: 398
  • Likes Given: 199
« Reply #362 on: 01/24/2014 03:35 pm »
Great article!  This all just keeps getting better and better!!

Online Chris Bergin

« Reply #363 on: 01/24/2014 03:40 pm »
Thanks chaps, that means a lot!
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline ClaytonBirchenough

• ~ 1 AU
  • Liked: 34
  • Likes Given: 348
« Reply #364 on: 01/24/2014 03:44 pm »
Fun article to read, especially if you haven't been following Dream Chaser that closely...
Clayton Birchenough

Offline yg1968

• Liked: 7123
  • Likes Given: 3064
« Reply #365 on: 01/24/2014 04:11 pm »
Quote from: DC article
In a sign of SNC’s commitment to flying Dream Chaser in space, this (AtlasV) launch is not understood to be subject to their Commercial Crew funding with NASA, with long lead procurements already lined up.

That's a big deal. I was kind of wondering about that. It seems SNC is really commited to DC regardless of what happens during CCtCap. That's a big plus for DC, if NASA sees SNC as fully commited to finishing DC regardless of whether they get partial, full or no funding, this could actually increase the chances of SNC for CCtCap. I believe that skin in the game will be given more weight in the next round. 

Edit:

Here is the video of the press conference of yesterday:

« Last Edit: 07/26/2015 02:39 pm by yg1968 »

Offline Star One

• UK
  • Liked: 3974
  • Likes Given: 220
« Reply #366 on: 01/24/2014 05:11 pm »
Quote from: DC article
In a sign of SNC’s commitment to flying Dream Chaser in space, this (AtlasV) launch is not understood to be subject to their Commercial Crew funding with NASA, with long lead procurements already lined up.

That's a big deal. I was kind of wondering about that. It seems SNC is really commited to DC regardless of what happens during CCtCap. That's a big plus for DC, if NASA sees SNC as fully commited to finishing DC regardless of whether they get partial, full or no funding, this could actually increase the chances of SNC for CCtCap. I believe that skin in the game will be given more weight in the next round.

It's an impressive gesture by SNC & shows a lot of commitment to DC.

@Chris great article.
« Last Edit: 01/24/2014 05:11 pm by Star One »

Offline Rocket Science

• NASA Educator Astronaut Candidate Applicant 2002
  • Liked: 4548
  • Likes Given: 13523
« Reply #367 on: 01/24/2014 06:46 pm »

Great article Chris! :) Nice to finally see all the pieces clicking into place after a long wait.
"The laws of physics are unforgiving"
~Rob: Physics instructor, Aviator

Offline clongton

• Expert
  • Connecticut
    • Direct Launcher
  • Liked: 7347
  • Likes Given: 3749
« Reply #368 on: 01/24/2014 09:26 pm »
Great article Chris. It's really good to see this level of commitment on SNC's part. I thought the following quote was telling:

"SNC is thrilled to be the first company to confirm a launch date for our country’s return to orbital human spaceflight and the restart of human spaceflight operations from Florida’s Space Coast,” added Mark Sirangelo, corporate vice president and head of Sierra Nevada Space Systems.

I can't wait for the next flight of the ETA.
BTW, what does SNC envision as the DC version of the SCA? Just like for Shuttle, the SLF will not always be an available landing strip because of weather and diverts to California will be SOP in that case.

Thanks for a great write-up Chris.

Chuck - DIRECT co-founder
I started my career on the Saturn-V F-1A engine

Offline Prober

• Save the spin....I'm keeping you honest!
  • Nevada
  • Liked: 721
  • Likes Given: 729
« Reply #369 on: 01/24/2014 09:50 pm »
Chris very nice job on the article.
2017 - Everything Old is New Again.
"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant..." --Isoroku Yamamoto

Offline Lee Jay

• Elite Veteran
  • Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3603
  • Likes Given: 327
« Reply #370 on: 01/24/2014 10:47 pm »
I can't wait for the next flight of the ETA.

Me neither!

Great article, Chris!

Offline catdlr

• Enthusiast since the Redstones
  • Marina del Rey, California, USA
  • Liked: 8785
  • Likes Given: 7815
« Reply #371 on: 01/24/2014 10:49 pm »
This great news certainly got the juice flowing again.  Thanks for the great article Chris. 
Tony De La Rosa, ...I'm no Feline Dealer!! I move mountains.  but I'm better known for "I think it's highly sexual." Japanese to English Translation.

Offline mikegro

• Columbus, OH
  • Liked: 5
  • Likes Given: 29
« Reply #372 on: 01/25/2014 06:12 am »
Exciting stuff indeed.  Great article, Chris!  Go Dream Chaser!
Part time F-16 and KC-135 Crew Chief, full-time spaceflight enthusiast!

Online Chris Bergin

« Reply #373 on: 01/31/2014 01:11 am »
Thanks for the above! :) Another milestone for SNC, but not enough for another article based on the presser:

Sierra Nevada Corporation Enters Dream Chaser® Critical Design Review
Completes NASA CCiCap CDR Entry Milestone

Sparks, Nev., January 30, 2014 – Sierra Nevada Corporation (SNC) announces the completion of the Dream Chaser® Incremental Critical Design Review (CDR) with the completion of Milestone 10a under its Commercial Crew Integrated Capability (CCiCap) agreement with NASA.

Mark N. Sirangelo, corporate vice president and head of SNC’s Space Systems made the announcement at the Annual Reliability and Maintainability Symposium (RAMS®) during his keynote address. RAMS is the premier event in the reliability, availability, and maintainability engineering disciplines. The RAMS event attracted hundreds of safety and reliability practitioners and engineering leaders from around the world.

“SNC’s Dream Chaser program continues its steady progress forward on the way to flight certification by completing this important milestone which begins our Dream Chaser Critical Design Review process,” said Sirangelo. “SNC is firmly committed to providing the safest, most reliable, and efficiently maintainable orbital transportation system with, the Dream Chaser Space System, by having the most experienced technical, safety, reliability and quality assurance team possible. The team is definitely ensuring that we incorporate the latest technology from all of these processes into SNC’s design.”

NASA added Milestone 10a to SNC’s CCiCap initiative in 2013 as part of the expansion of SNC’s program.  During this entry milestone review, NASA approved the critical design products, plans, and processes that are being used to develop the Dream Chaser Space System (DCSS), which includes the Dream Chaser spacecraft, Atlas launch vehicle, mission and ground systems. The CDR level products will also support the subsystem and element critical design reviews that are occurring throughout the year and culminating with system level reviews scheduled to ensure all technical performance requirements are met while meeting Dream Chaser Program schedule and budget. The DCSS fabrication, assembly, integration, and test process has begun to support the recently announced November 2016 orbital launch.

John Turner, SNC’s director of safety and mission assurance for the Dream Chaser program, and member of the RAMS management committee added his thoughts, “I had the privilege of spending over 26 years at NASA working on planning, development, operations and safety aspects of the space shuttle, International Space Station, and Constellation Human Spaceflight programs. My main focus was and remains to ensure that all flight programs were safe, successful and exceeded mission targets.  We are incorporating those best practices and lessons learned into our CDR processes for the Dream Chaser. We also have a world class team with strong experience in safety and risk management to ensure that we certify Dream Chaser as the safest human spaceflight vehicle yet to fly.”

David Oberhettinger, the general chair of the RAMS® 2014 symposium held in Colorado Springs, Colo., noted, “RAMS® is excited to have companies like SNC participate in our annual conference and benefit from the unique opportunities that we offer. Conference participants gain insights into latest advances in the field of reliability and maintainability than can be immediately applied to assure high product reliability, safety and mission success.”

Offline vt_hokie

• Hazlet, NJ
  • Liked: 118
  • Likes Given: 436
« Reply #374 on: 02/07/2014 07:10 am »
This great news certainly got the juice flowing again.  Thanks for the great article Chris. 

+1

Is it safe to say that the OTV construction will proceed and the Atlas V flight is funded regardless of pending commercial crew awards?  If so, that certainly boosts my optimism and I'm looking forward to watching this program continue to progress.  I visited Discovery at Udvar Hazy a few days ago and I was a little less sad seeing her in a museum knowing that there may in fact be a light at the end of the tunnel!

Offline Lars_J

• California
  • Liked: 677
  • Likes Given: 195
« Reply #375 on: 02/07/2014 08:00 am »

+1

Is it safe to say that the OTV construction will proceed and the Atlas V flight is funded regardless of pending commercial crew awards?  If so, that certainly boosts my optimism and I'm looking forward to watching this program continue to progress.

I wouldn't bet on it happening. It is a firm mark of intent, but I don't think it would be the first LV order to be cancelled or withdrawn if that is what ends up happening. (hopefully not)

As far as funding, it would presumably be indirectly be funded by future CCtCap milestones/payments from NASA. SnC has likely raised the initial funds on its own, with the expectation that future NASA payments would recoup that investment.
« Last Edit: 02/07/2014 08:01 am by Lars_J »

Offline vt_hokie

• Hazlet, NJ
  • Liked: 118
  • Likes Given: 436
« Reply #376 on: 02/07/2014 10:22 pm »
I'll be rooting for 'em.  I wish that our policymakers' commitment were more solid, but I admire the commitment of those working to make the dream a reality.  I kind of wish I were a part of that team!
« Last Edit: 02/07/2014 10:23 pm by vt_hokie »

Offline BrightLight

• Northern New Mexico
  • Liked: 312
  • Likes Given: 924
« Reply #377 on: 03/11/2014 03:19 pm »
SNC,  MSFC and Teledyne Brown have announced there additional working relationships in a briefing today:
http://www.sncspace.com/press_more_info.php?id=386

"Sirangelo outlined the substantial contribution each partner will make towards the Dream Chaser Advanced Development program. Sirangelo stated, “Today we are pleased to announce that we are increasing our presence in Alabama by expanding our relationship with the Marshall Space Flight Center and adding Teledyne Brown Engineering to our growing Dream Chaser team. Each of these organizations provide experts in their respective fields and have already begun applying their invaluable knowledge and experience. We will work together to evaluate future low-Earth orbit (LEO) mission concepts for the Dream Chaser in the area of scientific payload operations with the goal of enhancing and enabling science in LEO. We are honored they are joining our already dynamic list of partners – our  “Dream Team” - which now includes over 15 companies, seven NASA centers and a growing list of universities.  The team spans more than 30 states and several countries with the common goal of furthering the development of the multi-mission Dream Chaser spacecraft.”

Offline Ronsmytheiii

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 1879
  • Likes Given: 1023
« Reply #378 on: 03/16/2014 11:33 pm »
SNC,  MSFC and Teledyne Brown have announced there additional working relationships in a briefing today:
http://www.sncspace.com/press_more_info.php?id=386

"Sirangelo outlined the substantial contribution each partner will make towards the Dream Chaser Advanced Development program. Sirangelo stated, “Today we are pleased to announce that we are increasing our presence in Alabama by expanding our relationship with the Marshall Space Flight Center and adding Teledyne Brown Engineering to our growing Dream Chaser team. Each of these organizations provide experts in their respective fields and have already begun applying their invaluable knowledge and experience. We will work together to evaluate future low-Earth orbit (LEO) mission concepts for the Dream Chaser in the area of scientific payload operations with the goal of enhancing and enabling science in LEO. We are honored they are joining our already dynamic list of partners – our  “Dream Team” - which now includes over 15 companies, seven NASA centers and a growing list of universities.  The team spans more than 30 states and several countries with the common goal of furthering the development of the multi-mission Dream Chaser spacecraft.”

I like this graphic from the presser, interesting view into the multiple roles that SNC envisions for DC.

« Last Edit: 03/16/2014 11:33 pm by Ronsmytheiii »

Offline bolun

• Europe
  • Liked: 970
  • Likes Given: 110
« Reply #379 on: 03/18/2014 11:48 am »
http://www.esa.int/About_Us/ESA_Publications/ESA_Bulletin_157_Feb_2014

From ESA Bulletin 157 (page 90)

International Berthing Docking Mechanism (IBDM)

The mechanical design of the IBDM data package continues. The avionic architecture definition has been completed and the new electro-mechanical actuators and the mechanism lock-down system have been tested. The Sierra Nevada Corporation confirmed their interest in the use of the IBDM on their Dream Chaser vehicle. Technical exchanges over the features of the IBDM and the main aspects of the mechanism to vehicle interface took place in December.

Operation Avionics Subsystem (OAS)

The SRR for the cockpit mock-up was performed on 15 November. A set of activities based on the work performed in the OAS was discussed with the Sierra Nevada Corp. for application in the development of Dream Chaser. These include cockpit layout definition, displays (based on X-38/CRV programmes), simulators, certification of software and electronic procedures.
« Last Edit: 03/18/2014 11:51 am by bolun »

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography