Author Topic: New NSF Feedback Thread  (Read 374568 times)

Offline Chris Bergin

Re: New NSF Feedback Thread
« Reply #860 on: 09/29/2017 07:46 pm »
I wonder if it's your browser that's got an error as that's a simple gif. Try a different browser.

Or ad block.

But the site's fine.
« Last Edit: 09/29/2017 07:51 pm by Chris Bergin »
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline ppnl

• Liked: 208
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #861 on: 09/30/2017 11:25 am »
I wonder if it's your browser that's got an error as that's a simple gif. Try a different browser.

Or ad block.

But the site's fine.

I was wrong about the side ad. It is the bottom ad that is the problem. When a bottom ad successfully loads the site works as expected. But when no ad loads at the bottom the site constantly reloads and the back button is disabled. Maybe because it can't find find the ad and constantly tries to reload it.

That is on Firefox. The same process occurs on Edge but while flaky it usually works. The site is still constantly reloading trying to find the lost ad. This is the exact same problem as before except that before it loaded a broken part of the ad so you could see what was causing the problem. Now no ad loads giving no clue that the process broke.

Firefox flashes what is trying to load if you can read fast enough. I have been trying to check that but currently a Georgia Power ad keeps loading successfully so the site is working correctly. I don't know how it decides what ad to load. If it is random then I don't know why it loaded Georgia power 20 times in a row. And clearly it must be keyed to geography since it knows I'm in Georgia. 

Offline ppnl

• Liked: 208
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #862 on: 09/30/2017 01:09 pm »
Site working correctly for hours now so I guess its fixed again. If this problem reoccurs only once every four months this will be one of the most bug free major sites I visit.  Its getting crazy out there. I was on one science site that loaded three identical autoplay car ads that repeated every five seconds and grabbed control of the scroll bar so that you couldn't even scroll off of it. With no way to turn it off. I think it was a Lexus commercial.

So you are doing good.

Offline Cinder

• Liked: 229
  • Likes Given: 1077
« Reply #863 on: 09/30/2017 05:39 pm »
For 2 or 3 days now NSF forums look like this to me, only on Chrome.  Does this look like an obvious symptom of a specific problem?  It's only NSF forums and only with Chrome.  Sometimes webpages will load this way, but display normally once refreshed.

Additionally Chrome says the NSF security certificate expired 6 days ago, and refuses to load the main homepage (still available by clicking advanced and then something like 'proceed anyway'). 

No issues on mobile version of Chrome.
« Last Edit: 09/30/2017 05:40 pm by Cinder »
NEC ULTIMA SI PRIOR

Offline Carl G

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 260
  • Likes Given: 140
« Reply #864 on: 10/01/2017 03:21 am »
For 2 or 3 days now NSF forums look like this to me, only on Chrome.  D

No issues on mobile version of Chrome.

It's you.

Your "i" in a circle shows you're not loading the correct site. Your loading the http site. Obviously you're entering via an old bookmarked thread. While it should still load and that screenshot is a bad load from your end, try clicking here: https://www.nasaspaceflight.com/ and then "forum" on the top bar to correct your bad entrance into the forum.

Offline Cinder

« Reply #865 on: 10/01/2017 05:20 am »
Obviously you're entering via an old bookmarked thread.
" forum.nasaspaceflight.com " Entered manually as I've been doing for a couple years now.

The link leads to the same issue. 
Your connection is not private

Attackers might be trying to steal your information from www.nasaspaceflight.com (for example, passwords, messages, or credit cards). Learn more
NET::ERR_CERT_DATE_INVALID

This server could not prove that it is www.nasaspaceflight.com; its security certificate expired 6 days ago. This may be caused by a misconfiguration or an attacker intercepting your connection. Your computer's clock is currently set to Sunday, October 1, 2017. Does that look right? If not, you should correct your system's clock and then refresh this page.

Proceed to www.nasaspaceflight.com (unsafe)
« Last Edit: 10/01/2017 05:24 am by Cinder »
NEC ULTIMA SI PRIOR

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #866 on: 10/01/2017 08:37 pm »
It'll be your browser. It's not going to the right site. If you try a different browser you will find it's fine. HTTPS is up to date (not that your browser is accepting HTTPS, so that's the problem.

Chrome up to date as that's what I'm on right now. No issues.
« Last Edit: 10/01/2017 08:39 pm by Chris Bergin »
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline cppetrie

• Liked: 552
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #867 on: 10/01/2017 10:04 pm »
Sounds like a cache issue. Suggest forcing a full refresh. Ctrl or Cmd refresh will probably fix it.

Offline Cinder

« Reply #868 on: 10/01/2017 10:37 pm »
That was my thinking too.  Tried all of those above and nothing changed.  Long story short I got all the way down (2h of trying different things later) to moving HDD's around, and for whatever reason, that fixed it.
Go figure. 

Thanks anyway :)
NEC ULTIMA SI PRIOR

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #869 on: 10/01/2017 10:39 pm »
That was my thinking too.  Tried all of those above and nothing changed.  Long story short I got all the way down (2h of trying different things later) to moving HDD's around, and for whatever reason, that fixed it.
Go figure. 

Weird! :D But hey, so long as you're good, then that's good. :)

Rule I've found is even if I think all is OK, if something wacky happens to the site, I get about 3482573282312 e-mails and 43523527423 messages saying "CHRIS!!!" within minutes (OK, not that many). One or two people and it's always local to them.

Offline russianhalo117

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 4660
  • Likes Given: 768
« Reply #870 on: 10/02/2017 12:36 am »
Go figure. 

type https:// before forum.nasaspaceflight.com as well as www.nasaspaceflight.com since your browsers default go to prefix is http:// (which is a chrome, firefox, and opera bug that has not been resolved yet because it has to do with old code in the Chromium Project itself for all three mentioned browsers which will be replaced in the future).

The only way to get rid of the old code bug is to manually update your bookmarks to remove http:// and replace it with https:// (NOTE: even after updating your bookmarks if you type forum.nasaspaceflight.com or www. nasaspaceflight.com your browser by default will place the old and unsecure http:// prefix in front of the link). NSF per discussions with the NSF Webmaster in a thread and via PM does not yet have a auto redirect feature implemented yet to prevent this. The text only view that you had is very likely some of the recently implemented protection features from Chrome.

The user would have to manually enter https and then change the bookmark URL. The other issue is a google search at least right now for me doesn't link you the https version of NSF and the forums. The user might have clear my cache and history if it doesnt resolve itself because it defaults back to the old http address.

A visit to https://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=32793 should stay secure now, but you are correct in that there is no auto-ssl redirect as of this moment (on the forum). That's something still being worked on but is on the todo list!

Mark

In the meantime, there’s always the HTTPS Everywhere extension for Chrome, Firefox, and Opera (does anybody still use Opera?).
« Last Edit: 10/02/2017 12:40 am by russianhalo117 »

Offline hkultala

• Liked: 748
  • Likes Given: 945
« Reply #871 on: 10/25/2017 03:54 pm »
The smiley image autoreplacer is messing up mathematic equations. Could it be turned off?

(173*8)/(1185+10)=1.15g

Offline gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
  • Liked: 13845
  • Likes Given: 5915
« Reply #872 on: 10/25/2017 04:09 pm »
The smiley image autoreplacer is messing up mathematic equations. Could it be turned off?

(173*8)/(1185+10)=1.15g

You can turn it off for individual posts when you create/edit them, there is a checkbox for it ("Don't use smileys.")
« Last Edit: 10/25/2017 04:10 pm by gongora »

Offline rsdavis9

« Reply #873 on: 10/25/2017 04:10 pm »
Thanks. It was my post.  :'(
With ELV best efficiency was the paradigm. The new paradigm is reusable, good enough, and commonality of design.
Same engines. Design once. Same vehicle. Design once. Reusable. Build once.

Offline rsdavis9

« Reply #874 on: 11/01/2017 01:26 pm »
Anybody not getting email notifications from threads that you requested notification on?
Just stopped working last night for me.
With ELV best efficiency was the paradigm. The new paradigm is reusable, good enough, and commonality of design.
Same engines. Design once. Same vehicle. Design once. Reusable. Build once.

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #875 on: 11/01/2017 11:57 pm »
Anybody not getting email notifications from threads that you requested notification on?
Just stopped working last night for me.

Working for me, so the forum is doing what it should be. Is your e-mail client thinking they are spam and just not sending them your way (most spam is deleted and doesn't even go into spam folder these days).

Offline gadgetmind

• Liked: 110
  • Likes Given: 235
« Reply #876 on: 11/08/2017 12:18 pm »
Hi, hope this is the right place to ask.

I haven't had any emails about comments to threads since the end of October. Nothing in my spamtrap, other emails coming through fine, just nothing from nsf forums.

Is there something I can do to turn them back on? Notify is still set on relevant threads.

Thanks

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #877 on: 11/08/2017 04:53 pm »
Hi, hope this is the right place to ask.

I haven't had any emails about comments to threads since the end of October. Nothing in my spamtrap, other emails coming through fine, just nothing from nsf forums.

Is there something I can do to turn them back on? Notify is still set on relevant threads.

Thanks

Yes, a handful of people have found this issue. I've noticed on each occasion, people are using an e-mail with a very specific domain, like a personal website or such. That'll be it, the DNS and your e-mail domain not seeing each other. Have passed it on to Mark to see if it's something we can force or if people need to change their registered e-mail to something less "[email protected]" ;)

Offline gadgetmind

« Reply #878 on: 11/09/2017 07:51 am »
Thanks, I'll check my DNS to see if it's something I can change, but I haven't done anything with DNS for years. Or maybe your email sender is doing some extra checks now and getting a failure?

BTW, finding where this message had moved to took a while, but I got there. :-)

Offline gadgetmind

« Reply #879 on: 11/09/2017 12:27 pm »
I've checked everything I can regards MX records and my ISPs main servers, and it all looks good and test mails are getting through from various places. I've turned off spf checking to see if that helps.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography