Author Topic: New NSF Feedback Thread  (Read 374547 times)

Offline SWGlassPit

• I break space hardware
  • Liked: 893
  • Likes Given: 142
Re: New NSF Feedback Thread
« Reply #820 on: 05/30/2017 06:37 pm »
Thanks. Mark wanted to see if he had solved it, and it seems better in Chrome, but I hit firefox and that fool in a VR headset is still there ;) Passed it on to Mark.

Apologies to anyone struggling with this. It really does seem to be that one ad.

Seems to be working now. At least after mousing around  for 10 minutes I have failed to have a disabled back button. And a good ad is opening at the bottom so looks good. Thank the head bit pusher for me.

I'm still getting it on my end.

Offline Flying Beaver

« Reply #821 on: 05/30/2017 07:00 pm »
Got this after opening the site up this morning. Just wondering what's changed, if anything.

It's no problem but I just hadn't seen it before
« Last Edit: 05/30/2017 07:01 pm by Flying Beaver »
Watched B1019 land in person 21/12/2015.

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #822 on: 05/30/2017 07:00 pm »
It was two posts ago.

Per the cookie message you will be seeing on the page. Just something all sites are doing. Started about a year ago with sites and I've seen it over that time on every site I've visited. We didn't put it on, SMF - the company behind the software - will have. Nothing to worry about. We've been using cookies since Day 1, so just click OK and you won't see it again on the device you're using.
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Online ChrisC

• Veteran
  • Liked: 1537
  • Likes Given: 1741
« Reply #823 on: 05/30/2017 07:48 pm »
Per the cookie message you will be seeing on the page. Just something all sites are doing. Started about a year ago with sites and I've seen it over that time on every site I've visited. We didn't put it on, SMF - the company behind the software - will have. Nothing to worry about. We've been using cookies since Day 1, so just click OK and you won't see it again on the device you're using.

Cookies from NSF are fine, but third party cookies?  Is that related to the advertising?

EDIT: the message links to this:  https://www.nasaspaceflight.com/cookie-policy/

Cookie Policy:  This site uses cookies – small text files that are placed on your machine to help the site provide a better user experience. In general, cookies are used to retain user preferences, store information for things like shopping carts, and provide anonymised tracking data to third party applications like Google Analytics. As a rule, cookies will make your browsing experience better. However, you may prefer to disable cookies on this site and on others. The most effective way to do this is to disable cookies in your browser. We suggest consulting the Help section of your browser or taking a look at the About Cookies website which offers guidance for all modern browsers

Anyway, I have my cookie mgmt addin set to allow NSF and block everything else :)
« Last Edit: 05/30/2017 07:50 pm by ChrisC »
PSA #1: EST does NOT mean "Eastern Time".  Use "Eastern" or "ET" instead, all year round, and avoid this common error.  Google "EST vs EDT".
PSA #2: It's and its: know the difference and quietly impress grammar pedants.  Google "angry flower its" .  *** See profile for two more NSF forum tips. ***

Offline mtakala24

« Reply #824 on: 05/30/2017 08:52 pm »
That banner asking for user's consent for tracking cookies is actually legal requirement for websites hosted in European Union, but as NSF is hosted elsewhere, I think its not required.

Offline Star One

• UK
  • Liked: 3968
  • Likes Given: 220
« Reply #825 on: 05/31/2017 07:34 am »
That banner asking for user's consent for tracking cookies is actually legal requirement for websites hosted in European Union, but as NSF is hosted elsewhere, I think its not required.
I don't believe it matters where it is hosted but rather if the person viewing it is within the EU or not.

Offline Ronpur50

• Brandon, FL
  • Liked: 1028
  • Likes Given: 1884
« Reply #826 on: 05/31/2017 08:37 pm »
I don't believe it matters where it is hosted but rather if the person viewing it is within the EU or not.

It shows up in the US as well.

Offline Star One

• UK
  • Liked: 3968
  • Likes Given: 220
« Reply #827 on: 05/31/2017 09:43 pm »

It shows up in the US as well.

That's weird.

Offline mlindner

• Software Engineer
  • Space Capitalist
  • Silicon Valley, CA
  • Liked: 2202
  • Likes Given: 814
« Reply #828 on: 06/27/2017 05:59 am »
If I try and modify the date ranges from "0 to 9999" it gives me the error "Unable to access the search daemon"
LEO is the ocean, not an island (let alone a continent). We create cruise liners to ride the oceans, not artificial islands in the middle of them. We need a physical place, which has physical resources, to make our future out there.

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #829 on: 06/27/2017 12:56 pm »
If I try and modify the date ranges from "0 to 9999" it gives me the error "Unable to access the search daemon"

The search has been a problem (bare functionality) since the forum simply got too big for it to handle, I believe. The site revamp should hopefully include the latest SMP search thingy-ma-gigs.....OK, I got a bit lost there, but you know what I mean ;) We know it's not brilliant, we want to improve it.
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline ELinder

• Cleveland, OH
    • Erich Linder Photography
  • Liked: 94
  • Likes Given: 36
« Reply #830 on: 07/18/2017 02:41 pm »
It would sure be nice if we could click on the images in the front page articles for enlarged versions. A lot of times it is some sort of illustration wherein the print is so small it is impossible to read it. For example see the Pioneer 10 article with the Pioneer and Voyager trajectories. If not feasible, how about a version of the article with larger illustrations also posted here in the forums?

Erich

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #831 on: 07/18/2017 03:25 pm »
That should be coming for the new site.....as in a new presentation of new news articles for a start, but clickable images. I can imagine some L2 photos in articles will have to have an element of restriction due to way social media lifts them and then rehosts them as their own, but yeah - it'll be soooo much better with the new site. Have never been a big fan of the small side images.

Offline ELinder

• Cleveland, OH
    • Erich Linder Photography
  • Liked: 94
  • Likes Given: 36
« Reply #832 on: 07/18/2017 03:45 pm »
Great, looking forward to it!

Erich

Offline Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
  • A large LEGO storage facility ... in Michigan
  • Liked: 11864
  • Likes Given: 11086
« Reply #833 on: 07/18/2017 10:32 pm »
It'd be nifty if the software could auto-watermark the enlargements in a way that doesn't mess with what the images show but which is hard to remove and makes it obvious when images are lifted without proper credit...
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY

Offline Lars-J

• California
  • Liked: 8485
  • Likes Given: 5384
« Reply #834 on: 07/21/2017 07:46 pm »
Image water marking is a tricky subject. There are two reasons to do it...
1) prevent image theft and
2) marketing yourself.

Doing it for reason #1 is IMO a losing battle... Because when trying to make the watermark difficult to remove, the more intrusive your watermark is, the worse your site and images look.

On the other hand, maybe you should just do it for reason #2. A large but nice "NSF" logo down in either corner will drive traffic to the site. Will some steal and crop the image? Sure... But that's life. You have to weigh the positives (more traffic) to the negatives.

Besides... I'm not an L2 member, but I assume there are a heck of a lot more images than the ones that are highlighted in the article. You are only exposing those specific images to the risk of 'theft', not all of them. And as a reader, I would much prefer to see *fewer but larger* images instead of *many that are small*.

Offline Robotbeat

• Minnesota
  • Liked: 25222
  • Likes Given: 12114
« Reply #835 on: 07/23/2017 09:01 pm »
Likes are disabled for some parts of the forum.
Chris  Whoever loves correction loves knowledge, but he who hates reproof is stupid.

To the maximum extent practicable, the Federal Government shall plan missions to accommodate the space transportation services capabilities of United States commercial providers. US law http://goo.gl/YZYNt0

Offline russianhalo117

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 4660
  • Likes Given: 768
« Reply #836 on: 07/23/2017 09:08 pm »
Likes are disabled for some parts of the forum.
Now broken for the entire forum.
« Last Edit: 07/23/2017 09:17 pm by russianhalo117 »

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #837 on: 07/23/2017 09:10 pm »
Nothing to do with "the server". Mark was working on something else and must have disabled them by mistake. Have let him know.

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #838 on: 07/23/2017 09:19 pm »
And Mark should have fixed that :) (Looks good to me)

Offline Basto

• Salt Lake City, UT
  • Liked: 145
  • Likes Given: 204
« Reply #839 on: 07/25/2017 04:20 pm »
Not sure if this has been mentioned or requested before. I use the mobile version of the site about 90% of the time and it would be really great if you could view likes and like posts without having to switch to the full site.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography