Poll

Should NSF keep the current logo or look for a new one

Keep the current logo
91 (31.5%)
Look at options for a new logo
198 (68.5%)

Total Members Voted: 289

Author Topic: NSF 2017: New Logo - Vote and Design Options - DONE  (Read 52871 times)

Online Chris Bergin

Jumping to this suggestion (out of order of suggestions we'll work on, but one we can deal with right away):

Great idea. I'd also like to see a new logo, something that would work really well on t-shirts. The current one is great, but updating it would be even better.

First a vote to get an idea on what members think. No need to post "Yes" or "No". Leave that to the poll.

However, this thread (people posting) can be used to post your design ideas (so this one is for the artists out there).

If the vote is "new logo please", we'll pick some finalists and vote on them (liking uploaded designs will decide the finalists)

ONLY VOTE IF YOU THINK CURRENT OR NEW LOGO. ONLY POST IF YOU ARE UPLOADING YOUR LOGO GRAPHIC SUGGESTION.

And of course, I'm refining that, per this post: https://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=40923.msg1569562#msg1569562
« Last Edit: 09/26/2017 01:28 pm by Chris Bergin »
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline floron

• goodbye Austin, hello Seattle
    • my occasional blog
  • Liked: 85
  • Likes Given: 41
Re: NSF 2017: New Logo - Vote and Design Options
« Reply #1 on: 08/15/2016 02:39 am »
I always thought it stood for News And Speculation About Spaceflight.  ;D

Anyhoo, here's a quick idea:
« Last Edit: 08/15/2016 02:40 am by floron »

Online Chris Bergin

« Reply #2 on: 08/15/2016 10:13 am »
Ah ha, the first post that's actually the purpose of this thread! Thanks floron. ;D

Again, to all. This is not a thread about name changes (that's not going to happen, as noted in the other thread). I have a potential idea about something, but that's also for another thread, but this site is staying with the name.

Per if we need a new logo or not, that's why there's a poll. The only posts in this thread are for logo options. Then we see if there's one better than our current one. Chances are we won't change it, but if someone comes out with something special, that's when have a decision! :)
« Last Edit: 08/15/2016 11:30 am by Chris Bergin »
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline okan170

• Los Angeles
  • Liked: 6806
  • Likes Given: 1345
« Reply #3 on: 08/15/2016 07:40 pm »
I rather like the current logo as-is, though it could have some additional variations for smaller, less color-rich uses, and ones where space may be an issue.  For example, moving the "spaceflight.com" under the NASA and making the swoosh a negative-space element over the end of "NASA///"  This version might be more efficient for labelling on smaller things, watermarking, tagging etc. while the main logo would be used everywhere else.

(quick mockups on my laptop)
« Last Edit: 08/15/2016 07:53 pm by okan170 »

Offline Graham

• Aerospace Engineer
  • New York
  • Liked: 254
  • Likes Given: 117
« Reply #4 on: 08/15/2016 11:32 pm »
I happen to have a wonderfully talented friend named Ryan Hufnagel, so I asked him if he'd be interested in attempting a logo- and he was! Here is what he came up with today. He wanted me to make it very clear that it is just a sketch and is looking for further feedback and ideas.
I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night
- Sarah Williams

Online Chris Bergin

« Reply #5 on: 08/15/2016 11:51 pm »
Ok, have to change the rules of this thread a bit now (after whining about people not following the rules of the thread ;D) as there's a request for feedback.

However, things to still remember:

1) New logo, or no new logo - please don't post "I don't want a new logo" or "Yeah, new logo". Leave that to the poll in the first post. Want to keep this thread focused....you all know what happens when threads run away with themselves ;)

2) We're not changing the site's name. I do have an idea (which I'm drafting off line), but the core foundation is our name and we have to keep it. So nothing on that please.

-----

So feedback on the logos so far. Very good opening ones. Really appreciate people making an effort.

I have to say I like Okan's compromise in refining the current logo, that's a clever move.

Ryan's is very clever too, as NSF is our nickname, but a nightmare if we called the site "NSF" as there's lots of companies and orgs using that, not least the National Science Foundation, so that could be a problem. HOWEVER, Ryan gets around that with the use of the site's full name at the same time! Had not thought about that! I'd probably (and there's space) add the .com?

Cropping that to fit the header (which it would allow for) and background color considerations....oooooh, I am liking that.
« Last Edit: 08/15/2016 11:53 pm by Chris Bergin »

Offline ejb749

« Reply #6 on: 08/16/2016 12:25 am »
What if it were more like the NASA logo's font? 
This font is called 'Bambi', and it's close but not quite the same.
Is it too close to infringement?
I think the triangle should look more like a rocket... or shuttle...
It looks like the end of the devils tail now.

If you move 'SPACEFLIGHT.COM' over to the left and removed the swirl,
you could put the shuttle outline over the red bars.
« Last Edit: 08/16/2016 12:28 am by ejb749 »

Offline QuantumG

• Australia
  • Liked: 4477
  • Likes Given: 1108
« Reply #7 on: 08/16/2016 12:38 am »
Shuttle with a tear drop tattoo? Add the ISS. Maybe the words "and more!" with some non-NASA vehicles.
Human spaceflight is basically just LARPing now.

Offline Graham

• Aerospace Engineer
  • New York
  • Liked: 254
  • Likes Given: 117
« Reply #8 on: 08/16/2016 12:41 am »
Ryan's is very clever too, as NSF is our nickname, but a nightmare if we called the site "NSF" as there's lots of companies and orgs using that, not least the National Science Foundation, so that could be a problem. HOWEVER, Ryan gets around that with the use of the site's full name at the same time! Had not thought about that! I'd probably (and there's space) add the .com?

Cropping that to fit the header (which it would allow for) and background color considerations....oooooh, I am liking that.

Here are some updated ones. These are just sketches, so please give feedback!
Remember all credit goes to Ryan!
« Last Edit: 08/16/2016 01:08 am by Chris Bergin »
I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night
- Sarah Williams

Online Chris Bergin

« Reply #9 on: 08/16/2016 01:10 am »
Looking good and I think even better when reduced into the format of the site...but we are looking for things that work on not just the site, but on merch, etc. So yep! (PS Reuploaded them as they had a crazy long attachment name ;D)

Per the Shuttle on the other logo....our foundation, so I get it, but they've gone and we've moved on.
« Last Edit: 08/16/2016 01:11 am by Chris Bergin »

Online Chris Bergin

« Reply #10 on: 08/16/2016 01:25 am »
Oh more accurately, Nathan's amazing Christmas render, but way too busy for a logo, of course. One of my favourite renders of all time, all the same. That, however, is us now.

So yeah, I think we're all on the same page. And of course, ultimately it will come down to a vote once we've given this enough time for people to upload their logos. Our current logo is great, after all, but with this drive (and it's going to be a long and wide-ranging drive - this is just items we can start right now) is about a proper renovation. We've got the servers more or less sorted (and are already thinking ahead to the demand of the big 2017/18 events...and Elon's September Mexico speech might be just ridiculous demand as a one off event regardless), but now is for the appearance and functionality.

Anyway, that render:
https://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=38961.msg1460868#msg1460868 (don't like this post, like the original upload on the link).
« Last Edit: 08/16/2016 01:27 am by Chris Bergin »

Offline floron

• goodbye Austin, hello Seattle
    • my occasional blog
  • Liked: 85
  • Likes Given: 41
« Reply #11 on: 08/16/2016 02:00 am »
Another attempt. I like the classic-style Gill Sans, in case you hadn't noticed... :P

Offline wenderro

• Romania
  • Liked: 17
  • Likes Given: 35
« Reply #12 on: 08/16/2016 06:06 pm »
Just an idea that I played with some time ago. I would point that it will be beneficial to choose an logo that is easy to imprint, means it is relatively simple, has few colors and no gradients at the personalized products will look a lot better.

Online gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
  • Liked: 13885
  • Likes Given: 5933
« Reply #13 on: 08/16/2016 06:18 pm »
My personal opinion is that the size of "NASA" in the logo should be decreased so that it's not larger than "Spaceflight".  Also, I think copying an actual NASA logo into the logo for this site would be bad even if it was legal.

Offline wenderro

• Romania
  • Liked: 17
  • Likes Given: 35
« Reply #14 on: 08/16/2016 07:00 pm »
My personal opinion is that the size of "NASA" in the logo should be decreased so that it's not larger than "Spaceflight".  Also, I think copying an actual NASA logo into the logo for this site would be bad even if it was legal.

I was using a larger NASA from legacy reasons and it works with the idea of the logo , but I adhere to your opinion, the focus should not be on NASA word if possible.

I think that this thread is only for posting logo ideas and not discussing, if it's so, please PM me any criticism or ideas on modifying the logo, I'm really opened to suggestions.
« Last Edit: 08/16/2016 10:44 pm by Chris Bergin »

Offline VulcanCafe

• Liked: 28
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #15 on: 08/17/2016 12:41 am »
If Chris says no name change, then I prefer a tag line to go beyond the name.

Forgive the 2 crude mock ups attached.

Also STRONGLY suggest a shorter logo height. The taller the logo the more scrolling must be done on every single page. Focus on a more horizontal logo please! :)
« Last Edit: 08/17/2016 12:42 am by VulcanCafe »

Offline VulcanCafe

• Liked: 28
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #16 on: 08/17/2016 12:43 am »
Another attempt. I like the classic-style Gill Sans, in case you hadn't noticed... :P

I like your top option, with additional text below. Tag line on top, NASASPACEFLIGHT.COM below.

Offline Thorny

• Regular
  • San Angelo, Texas
  • Liked: 300
  • Likes Given: 457
« Reply #17 on: 08/17/2016 02:28 am »
Just something I worked up for fun...

Online Chris Bergin

« Reply #18 on: 08/17/2016 12:58 pm »
Thanks for the continued efforts on this, everyone.

So far, based on votes and likes, it's between staying as-is, okan170's modification and a version of the one done by Ryan.

Offline RotoSequence

• Liked: 2068
  • Likes Given: 1535
« Reply #19 on: 08/17/2016 01:49 pm »
One of my friends took a shot at designing a logo. It's a five-minute rough, so he'd appreciate input on the design and anything to be aware of regarding the use and/or emulation of NASA's style guides.

Edit: The originally proposed logo has been modified to versions 2 and 3. Version 3 adds some shading on the layered portions of the logo.
« Last Edit: 08/17/2016 02:25 pm by RotoSequence »

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography