Author Topic: Current NSF Forum Feedback Thread 2  (Read 169756 times)

Offline Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
  • A large LEGO storage facility ... in Michigan
  • Liked: 11864
  • Likes Given: 11086
Re: Current NSF Forum Feedback Thread 2
« Reply #100 on: 02/22/2018 11:58 pm »
I agree - would have been nice if it was the default, just for those reasons - make sure you've no typos, nobody else has just said the same thing and so on - Lot's of other stuff to get done first so not a high priority.  I'm still a muppet!

Ok. I've been on this site for years and I never saw that.

I vaguely remember getting really annoyed with the default forum behavior in the past and searching out that option.  I think it would be better to have that as the default behavior.  When your post appears on screen you can notice typos, whether the attachments worked (or you forgot them), whether someone else just posted the same thing, whether you were being a dick and should really just delete what you just posted (happens occasionally), etc.
I must have changed this so long ago I forgot it wasn't the default behaviour... I can't see changing it back and agree it would be nice if it could be the default for all people (changing it might confuse some people that depended on the current behaviour though)
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY

Online mn

• United States
  • Liked: 872
  • Likes Given: 333
« Reply #101 on: 02/23/2018 02:42 pm »
Whatever you did to the page caching info in the served html is working great. Now when I hit the browser back button to go back from a forum thread to the forum listing (or most often "Unread Topics") it updates with any new posts. Before I always had do reload or F5 at that point.

A dissenting opinion...

From time to time ctrl+click "New" on a forum listing (to open a topic in a new tab) fails for one reason or another. It used to be that returning to the (still open) forum listing tab allowed one to try again. Now "New" is instantly gone so one has to click to the topic's last page and then hunt for the earliest unread post; sometimes several pages back. Definitely a retrograde (ahem) step from my point of view :(

As is often the case with UI changes, what's really required is a user configurable option so we can all have our preferred way of working.

I can confirm that Ctrl+Click does not instantly clear the 'new' tag (at least not for me in chrome YMMV), so you should be fine.
« Last Edit: 02/23/2018 02:43 pm by mn »

Offline Hog

• Woodstock
  • Liked: 1700
  • Likes Given: 6866
« Reply #102 on: 02/26/2018 05:34 pm »
Good day NSF'ers and as always, great work by the NSF-Team. NASASpaceFlight.com, THE place for space!

Over the past couple months, I have noticed a change with the UNREAD TOPICS bar, in fact the change may have occurred when the allowable likes per duration was changed. 
Normally I come to the forums, click on Unread Topics, scroll to the last page of unread topics and begin to read posts. After I finish a post, I click on the BACK icon which brings me back to the Unread Topics list, then I select the next post from the Unread Topics list.  I guess I read the Unread Topics list in Chronological Order, from the oldest to the newest. If I don't make it to the site for a week or so, I can have around 15 pages of Unread Topics to read, it's awesome!

Now, when I read something I like, I use the "Like" button. Now here is the change I am experiencing, for every single like that I give in the same thread, in order to return I must hit the BACK icon the same number of times plus 1.  If I select a post from the Unread Topics list, and give 3 likes in that thread, I must hit the BACK icon 4 times to get back to the Unread Topics list.  If I leave  5 likes, I must hit the BACK icon 6 times to get back to the Unread Topics list. 
I was just curious if anyone else had noticed this or not?

I am really enjoying the new "semi-automatic" LIKE for every 2 seconds over the "black powder muzzle loading" 1 LIKE for every 120 seconds.
Thanks again, great work!
Paul

Offline Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
  • A large LEGO storage facility ... in Michigan
  • Liked: 11864
  • Likes Given: 11086
« Reply #103 on: 02/26/2018 05:51 pm »
Each like causes a refresh of the view, so it's not surprising that you need to go back that many times....

It is interesting to hear how different people use the forum and read things.

My process is usually different. I refresh the recent topics then right click on each "NEW" and do an open in new tab. I fire off a bunch of those, go off and do something else, and then read them all in the order I opened them (usually from bottom to top). Hogs a lot of memory in Firefox but works fairly well.
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY

Offline Hog

• Woodstock
  • Liked: 1700
  • Likes Given: 6866
« Reply #104 on: 02/26/2018 06:02 pm »
Each like causes a refresh of the view, so it's not surprising that you need to go back that many times....

It is interesting to hear how different people use the forum and read things.

My process is usually different. I refresh the recent topics then right click on each "NEW" and do an open in new tab. I fire off a bunch of those, go off and do something else, and then read them all in the order I opened them (usually from bottom to top). Hogs a lot of memory in Firefox but works fairly well.
It may Hog a lot of memory, but if it works for you that's great, anything else would be LARceny!
Paul

Offline clongton

• Expert
  • Connecticut
    • Direct Launcher
  • Liked: 7348
  • Likes Given: 3749
« Reply #105 on: 02/26/2018 07:05 pm »
Chris I've been experiencing an odd thing on NSF lately. When I author a post and then preview it, in the preview I will often see "[/size][/font]" inserted in the 1st or 2nd line at the end of a sentence. Also where I have a single space between paragraphs it shows up as 2 spaces. When I go back to look at my text the extra spaces and "[/size][/font]" thing are also in my text. When I authored the text there was nothing there. Usually I simply delete them and post. But if I "add" a new paragraph before posting with a single space between it and the preceding paragraph, the preview will show that new single space as 2 spaces, in both the preview and when I go back to my text, there as well. On occasion, the "[/size][/font]" will also show up again. I'm running Chrome and this wasn't a problem before.

Any ideas?
« Last Edit: 02/26/2018 07:06 pm by clongton »
Chuck - DIRECT co-founder
I started my career on the Saturn-V F-1A engine

Offline mikelepage

• ExodusSpaceSystems.com
  • Perth, Australia
  • Liked: 855
  • Likes Given: 1358
« Reply #106 on: 02/28/2018 05:46 am »
Then we work on bringing the forum software up a notch or three WITHOUT losing familiarity or ease of use. I've seen some sites completely change their forum and you're left shaking your head thinking "Why???" Yes, we have to upgrade, but man that will be a massive community crowdsource and discussion to get it right before we even think about changes.

Serious question Chris and not a joke from what you wrote above but it is the question I have..........Why?

The forums are the absolute best forums I have used anywhere and are using currently.  ;) ;)

Just curious as to the driving reasons for the bold part above.

Have to move on with the technology. But as previously noted, I've seen some sites die by making massive changes. Trick is to keep things familiar. Will be the biggest effort, but one where we really get the community involved with both technically and via discussion of how to do it.

Hi Chris, I don't envy you this job  :o  Have courage mate  :D

Although I still stand by my "tags" suggestion in this post:
https://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=42036.msg1654286#msg1654286

I'm beginning to wonder if you might be in a situation where you really *have* to break the forum system and start afresh.  Ideally it will look and feel similar, but the code/underlying structure will be completely different/updated - and probably not backwards compatible.  The way you could make that less painful is to build a new forum (or fora) completely separate from the "legacy forum" just so people can see the options and then have a proper vote on it.

The understanding would be that everyone knows that if we vote to move forward, then on "d-day", the mods will lock all the threads in the legacy forum, but keep them viewable/linkable, preferably forever, but obviously that depends how much the forum costs you.  Alternatively you could keep it up for a year or so, and encourage anyone who wants to, to preserve threads using the "print" function - maybe you could also create a mechanism for people to download entire sections as zip files.  Or a way to save all the posts you have made as a user.

I think the really important thing if we do vote on new forum systems is for it not just to be a hard "yes/no" vote.  There has to be a "not yet - but I like where this is going" option as well.
« Last Edit: 02/28/2018 05:48 am by mikelepage »

Offline Michael Baylor

• NSF Reporter
  • Liked: 4868
  • Likes Given: 865
« Reply #107 on: 02/28/2018 03:52 pm »
Hi Chris, I don't envy you this job  :o  Have courage mate  :D

Although I still stand by my "tags" suggestion in this post:
https://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=42036.msg1654286#msg1654286

I'm beginning to wonder if you might be in a situation where you really *have* to break the forum system and start afresh.  Ideally it will look and feel similar, but the code/underlying structure will be completely different/updated - and probably not backwards compatible.  The way you could make that less painful is to build a new forum (or fora) completely separate from the "legacy forum" just so people can see the options and then have a proper vote on it.

The understanding would be that everyone knows that if we vote to move forward, then on "d-day", the mods will lock all the threads in the legacy forum, but keep them viewable/linkable, preferably forever, but obviously that depends how much the forum costs you.  Alternatively you could keep it up for a year or so, and encourage anyone who wants to, to preserve threads using the "print" function - maybe you could also create a mechanism for people to download entire sections as zip files.  Or a way to save all the posts you have made as a user.

I think the really important thing if we do vote on new forum systems is for it not just to be a hard "yes/no" vote.  There has to be a "not yet - but I like where this is going" option as well.

People will riot if there are any seismic changes to the forums.

Offline mikelepage

• ExodusSpaceSystems.com
  • Perth, Australia
  • Liked: 855
  • Likes Given: 1358
« Reply #108 on: 03/01/2018 03:47 am »
People will riot if there are any seismic changes to the forums.

Well okay, but this forum was started in what, 2005? Are we really going to be using the same forum software in 2025? 2035? 2045?  This is the internet we're talking about, right?  ;D

Maybe it's nowhere near time to transition yet.  I'm just curious to hear if Chris has considered options and decided to stick with the current format for the foreseeable future, or whether the basic structure of the forum is locked in stone and we're limited to tinkering around the edges.

In any case, seems to me that Tags are the best near-term improvement, as I wrote previously.

Online mtakala24

« Reply #109 on: 03/01/2018 07:03 am »
This forum software is the best there is, although some modern newcomers such has Discourse has some good features.

Offline wardy89

• UK
  • Liked: 80
  • Likes Given: 102
« Reply #110 on: 04/09/2018 01:34 pm »
I am not sure if this is something that has been mentioned before or is something only i am experiencing (A issue with my own computer) I have noticed that when using the forum sometime when i click on a thread it takes me to a completely different thread than i clicked on sometimes not even in the same section.

When this happens most of the time i will end up in a thread in the same section but not always, For example i could click on a thread in the SpaceX general section and end up on the SLS Updates thread or somewhere in L2 (which i am a member of)

This is something that i noticed a while back but it only used to happen every now and agin, but recently it seems to be happening quite a lot. Just wondered if anyone else had experienced this at all?

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #111 on: 04/09/2018 01:38 pm »
I am not sure if this is something that has been mentioned before or is something only i am experiencing (A issue with my own computer) I have noticed that when using the forum sometime when i click on a thread it takes me to a completely different thread than i clicked on sometimes not even in the same section.

When this happens most of the time i will end up in a thread in the same section but not always, For example i could click on a thread in the SpaceX general section and end up on the SLS Updates thread or somewhere in L2 (which i am a member of)

This is something that i noticed a while back but it only used to happen every now and agin, but recently it seems to be happening quite a lot. Just wondered if anyone else had experienced this at all?

Never heard or seen that. Can't for the life of me think how that could even happen. Makes no sense at all.

Very, very likely to be just you (happening for a while/no one else has noted it/if it happened to others, this thread would be full of people noting it). But out of interest the next time it happens. Note the thread you were in, the link you clicked and the error destination. If we can't repeat it then we'll know for sure.
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline dglow

• Liked: 2295
  • Likes Given: 4433
« Reply #112 on: 04/13/2018 10:27 pm »
A feature request: add some hysteresis when a post is edited immediately after submission. Most forums I visit do this. The benefit is that a user can post, notice a typo, and correct it straight away without their post being tagged with an "edited by User at Time" postscript.

This is more friendly and removes some unnecessary noise from the forum, including the common "EDIT: typo" explanations many feel compelled to add.

Some forums I see implement a timer, whereby edits made within X minutes of the original post are not tagged as such. Others additionally take into account whether the edited post is (still) the most recent in the thread.

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #113 on: 04/14/2018 02:46 pm »
A feature request: add some hysteresis when a post is edited immediately after submission. Most forums I visit do this. The benefit is that a user can post, notice a typo, and correct it straight away without their post being tagged with an "edited by User at Time" postscript.

This is more friendly and removes some unnecessary noise from the forum, including the common "EDIT: typo" explanations many feel compelled to add.

Some forums I see implement a timer, whereby edits made within X minutes of the original post are not tagged as such. Others additionally take into account whether the edited post is (still) the most recent in the thread.

I agree. I hate it when it comes up with an edit message after I find a simple typo and correct it immediately. Will add it to the list.
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline lamontagne

• Otterburn Park, Quebec,Canada
  • Liked: 3839
  • Likes Given: 716
« Reply #114 on: 04/29/2018 08:55 pm »
My notification system does not seem to work anymore  :'(

And I notice there seem to be no place to notify for technical problems, such as the above?  No way to write to the admin?

Regards,

ML

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #115 on: 04/29/2018 08:57 pm »

And I notice there seem to be no place to notify for technical problems, such as the above?  No way to write to the admin?

Regards,

ML

You're in the right thread.

Yeah, over the years, it seems to be groups of people, likely on ISPs and servers, where the notification e-mails go into your junk folder. I had a month of it late last year, but after a fair amount of "mark as not junk" it all sorted itself out and now they are all back to normal.

So it's not the site, it's mail servers seeing auto e-mails from forums as spam.

Offline Star One

• UK
  • Liked: 3974
  • Likes Given: 220
« Reply #116 on: 04/29/2018 09:42 pm »

Regards,

ML

Yeah, over the years, it seems to be groups of people, likely on ISPs and servers, where the notification e-mails go into your junk folder. I had a month of it late last year, but after a fair amount of "mark as not junk" it all sorted itself out and now they are all back to normal.

So it's not the site, it's mail servers seeing auto e-mails from forums as spam.

That’s what happens to me. For years there has been no issue but suddenly a couple of months ago they started all going in my junk folder.

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #117 on: 04/29/2018 09:52 pm »
On outlook you can mark them as not spam and they go to your inbox. After a week it seemed to work out "Oh, so not spam. Roger that!" and then everything was normal.

Other e-mail clients may have immediate white list options.

Offline clongton

• Expert
  • Connecticut
    • Direct Launcher
« Reply #118 on: 04/30/2018 05:36 pm »

Regards,

ML

About a month or so ago I had the same problem and messaged Chris. He told me what he told you and there they all were in my spam folder. After a few days of marking "not spam" all was normal again.
« Last Edit: 04/30/2018 05:38 pm by clongton »

Offline clongton

• Expert
  • Connecticut
    • Direct Launcher
« Reply #119 on: 04/30/2018 05:40 pm »
Chris I notice that the little box beside your name is green and says you are online.
But the little box beside my name is white and says I am offline.
Obviously that's wrong because here I am talking to you :)

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography