Author Topic: Become a reporter for NSF  (Read 63762 times)

Offline alexaltair

• Liked: 12
  • Likes Given: 3
Re: Become a reporter for NSF
« Reply #20 on: 10/11/2019 10:55 pm »
Hi Chris, I sent you a DM a while ago, just pinging you on this thread since that seems to have worked for others. :) I love all the work you do!

Offline joseph.a.navin

• Freelance photojournalist/Reporter
  • Elon, North Carolina, USA
  • Liked: 269
  • Likes Given: 226
« Reply #21 on: 11/06/2019 02:57 pm »
Hello Chris, I would also like to look into writing for NSF, If that's possible.  8) I am extremely passionate about space and I write lots of technical articles for my High School.
Elon University class of 2024 | Past launches/events seen: Superbird-A2 on Atlas IIAS (Apr 2004), Discovery OV-103 ferry flight to Dulles (2012), NG-12, OFT-1, NG-13, Crew-2, NG-18

Offline demorcef

• SCE to AUX
  • Chicago, IL
  • Liked: 12
  • Likes Given: 34
« Reply #22 on: 12/05/2019 03:54 pm »
Hello Chris!

I am a long time enjoyer of http://nasaspaceflight.com. A while back you put out a request for volunteers to help support the site. Can you please let me know what needs you have so I can put my name forward? Thanks!

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #23 on: 01/13/2020 06:34 pm »
Hello Chris, I would also like to look into writing for NSF, If that's possible.  8) I am extremely passionate about space and I write lots of technical articles for my High School.

And here's Joseph's first article for NSF:

https://twitter.com/NASASpaceflight/status/1216805136753930243
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #24 on: 01/16/2020 10:04 pm »
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline Nasagirl87

« Reply #25 on: 11/11/2020 11:30 pm »
Good Evening Chris,
I'm extremely interested in writing an article for NSF or if you're in search of an additional reporter to join your team I would be honored if you give me the opportunity. Thank you for your time and consideration. 
Astrid Cordero.

Offline leovinus

• Porto, Portugal
  • Liked: 865
  • Likes Given: 1727
« Reply #26 on: 12/09/2020 04:19 pm »
Not sure whether this is the right place but I just want to share suggestion on reporting please. This might be the right section as there is latent interest of people in writing articles.

While I listen to the NSF live on SN8 with its reporting talent, I hear a conversation like "if you like podcast, ask on this feed. More podcast, more YouTube, etc" and I think something like "There are better and other formats to communicate about space news and on my busy day, I just do not have the time to listen to the verbal chatter on YouTube or podcasts."

The spoken word is so fleeting, volatile, not searchable. Therefore, a suggestion. Would it be possible to increase the frequency of the written word, instead of the spoken word?

For example, a "NSF morning brief". A one pager in the mail, or in a thread, that shows succinctly a detailed technical or fun topic. Plus one or two illustrations? Plus some pointer to background reports? Or code or other rocket math that needs to be communicated in written form.
Something like
- here are the flaps of SN8 flapping (in a gif) and this is what they are testing
- you wonder about "vents"? These are the various five vents of a StarShip we identified.
- what's new on StarHopper? radar etc
- what about five lines of code to test the rocket equation?
- etc

Anyway, the idea is clear. Maybe it is a format for aspiring authors to contribute a written brief a day (to keep the doctor away) ?

Offline StarshipSLS

• Image: NASA, Public domain, via Wikimedia Commons
  • PA
  • Liked: 16
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #27 on: 06/03/2021 12:54 am »
I want to be one.
I love space very much. I like best NASA and SpaceX programs.

Offline Tman

• Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #28 on: 07/25/2021 10:24 pm »
I recently sent my message get back to me when you can thanks. :)

Offline Tman

• Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #29 on: 08/02/2021 12:58 am »
I"ve dm you a couple times get back when you can.

Offline Steve Baker

• El Paso, TX
  • Liked: 4
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #30 on: 09/05/2021 11:45 pm »
I've also PM'ed Chris asking if he's still looking for writers - but no response.   Presumably he's either already awash with offers - or perhaps just gets so many messages, he does not have the time to reply.

If you're listening Chris...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi!  I heard on the grapevine that you're looking for writers for NSF.

I've written widely for Wikipedia (Username: "SteveBaker" - 30,000+ contributions) and managed to propel three articles onto the front page (which is TOUGH to do!).   I've had a steady 1 million views per week on Quora (Username: "Steve Baker" - 23,000 answers, 22,000 followers - between 1 to 2 million readers on average) - and I've written successfully for Medium.  I love to post serious answers to YouTube videos - and I have my own (not-so-successful) Blog site "LetsRunWithIt.com".   But I have always reached for a tougher writing challenge...maybe you guys are it.

I love to write on science subjects and specialize on writing in a way that non-scientists can understand - with humor and with careful research.   I'm a 3D computer graphics guru (on the programming side) and I work for a small company that is working on realistic lunar simulation for a variety of end users - including NASA.  If you need someone to geek-out on the weird ways that light is reflected from the lunar surface - I'm your man!

I write because I love writing - I love educating - and selfishly because it gives me a reason to study something interesting and widen my personal knowledge.

I own a Tesla, I've watched every scrap of coverage from Boca Chica - and I only live a day's drive away.

I have a boatload of experience in 3D graphics - I can build websites and video games - and I have enough knowledge about embedded computing to help out with stuff like robot cameras.

I have no idea what you're looking for - but perhaps you could fill me in...heck, give me a challenge.

<[email protected]>
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
« Last Edit: 09/05/2021 11:46 pm by Steve Baker »

Offline jackvancouver

• Video Tech expert
  • Vancouver, Canada
    • Vimeo channel
  • Liked: 153
  • Likes Given: 56
« Reply #31 on: 07/23/2022 08:51 am »
Not necessarily a reporter but because it's remote work, I'm interested in video editing work.

Offline jimothytones

• Liked: 56
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #32 on: 11/27/2023 06:23 pm »
Hi Chris, think I inquired about participating with the site years ago and never heard back. Since then I've relocated to Florida's Space Coast, and I'd still love to help out with reporting and/or editorial work if there's any availability on the team. Feel free to reach out by DM for my info. Thanks.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography