Author Topic: Flight crew assignments questions  (Read 44960 times)

Offline vp.

• France
  • Liked: 59
  • Likes Given: 6
Re: Flight crew assignments questions
« Reply #120 on: 01/30/2024 05:47 pm »
A surprise would be to name the crew Artemis II on Crew-9, for team cohesion.  ;D

Offline Zed_Noir

• Canada
  • Liked: 1811
  • Likes Given: 1302
« Reply #121 on: 01/31/2024 04:31 am »
At the risk of going off on a tangent (sorry!), there seem to be several astronauts (Pettit, Wilson, Barratt, Wheelock perhaps) who are re-emerging after more than a decade to fly again, some of them approaching or having passed 60 years old.

It was my understanding that until recently 60 was the cut-off point (at least at the point of assignment) for NASA astronauts and I think USOS partner astronauts too. Presumably, this has now changed, but can anyone shed any light on when this process took place? It's great to see the age glass ceiling being broken by Barratt and (hopefully) Pettit too.

I'd be interested in hearing this, too! For a long time, I can only think of three US or USOS astronauts who were over 60 when they launched on their final flight: Story Musgrave on his last shuttle flight, Paolo Nespoli on Expedition 52/53, and Tom Marshburn on Crew-3.
You missed Senator John Glenn on STS-95.

Offline hektor

• Liked: 1211
  • Likes Given: 55
« Reply #122 on: 01/31/2024 09:34 am »
Not NASA astronauts, but there have been some pretty old guys on the first two Axiom missions. And MLA who is flying right now is 65.
« Last Edit: 01/31/2024 09:35 am by hektor »

Offline John_Marshall

• Minneapolis
  • Liked: 93
  • Likes Given: 132
« Reply #123 on: 01/31/2024 04:00 pm »
You missed Senator John Glenn on STS-95.

I was only thinking of active-duty astronauts, but you're still quite right--there's another example.

Offline Delta7

• Liked: 22
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #124 on: 01/31/2024 09:42 pm »
Jonny Kim is now the only unflown/unassigned member of the 2017 astronaut class. I wonder if he’ll be the backup to Don Pettit for Soyuz MS-26.

Offline TJL

• Extreme Veteran
  • Liked: 96
  • Likes Given: 160
« Reply #125 on: 02/01/2024 11:03 pm »
Jonny Kim is now the only unflown/unassigned member of the 2017 astronaut class. I wonder if he’ll be the backup to Don Pettit for Soyuz MS-26.
Possibly MS on SpaceX Crew-10.
« Last Edit: 02/01/2024 11:04 pm by TJL »

Offline Michael Cassutt

• Regular
  • Los Angeles, California
  • Liked: 212
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #126 on: 02/01/2024 11:19 pm »

Or commander ;) Or MS on Starliner-2.

Michael Cassutt

Offline John_Marshall

• Minneapolis
« Reply #127 on: 02/02/2024 12:07 am »

I'm not sure that would work, since it would seem like Crew-10 would likely have two international astronauts (like Crew-2 and Crew-7) since Crew-8 and Crew-9 have none.

Or commander ;) Or MS on Starliner-2.

I think the latter would be dependent on not having a Russian on Starliner-2, but good point.

Offline Ben E

• Liked: 101
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #128 on: 02/02/2024 05:07 am »
Isn't there still one open MS seat on Starliner-1? Could that go to Kim? Or is that definitely now taken by Yui?

CDR: Tingle
PLT: Fincke
MS: Kutryk
MS: ??

Offline John_Marshall

• Minneapolis
« Reply #129 on: 02/02/2024 12:46 pm »
Isn't there still one open MS seat on Starliner-1? Could that go to Kim? Or is that definitely now taken by Yui?

CDR: Tingle
PLT: Fincke
MS: Kutryk
MS: ??

Officially, there is one seat open, but I think Yui is "unofficially official," since him on USCV-10 (presumably Starliner-1) and Onishi on USCV-11 (presumably Crew-10) seems to be the only way to make sense of the dates given when Yui's flight was delayed.

Offline Ben E

« Reply #130 on: 02/02/2024 06:54 pm »
Ah, thanks. I wouldn't be surprised if Crew-10/USCV-11 in the summer of 2025 "might" also see the first assignments of the 2021 astros too.

Offline John_Marshall

• Minneapolis
« Reply #131 on: 02/02/2024 11:41 pm »
Ah, thanks. I wouldn't be surprised if Crew-10/USCV-11 in the summer of 2025 "might" also see the first assignments of the 2021 astros too.

Sure! That would not surprise me, possibly excepting if it were to be a two-international-partner flight (like Crew-7) given the delay to Onishi's flight and the next European seat.

Offline Ben E

« Reply #132 on: 02/03/2024 07:27 pm »
If Starliner-1 doesn't include a cosmonaut (i.e. Tingle, Fincke, Kutryk and Yui), surely the Soyuz MS-26 in spring 2025 will have three cosmonauts and no NASA person aboard? I can't see the Russians having only two of their people aboard, especially now that Nauka is up and running.

Offline DanClemmensen

• Earth (currently)
  • Liked: 4455
  • Likes Given: 1851
« Reply #133 on: 02/03/2024 07:40 pm »
If Starliner-1 doesn't include a cosmonaut (i.e. Tingle, Fincke, Kutryk and Yui), surely the Soyuz MS-26 in spring 2025 will have three cosmonauts and no NASA person aboard? I can't see the Russians having only two of their people aboard, especially now that Nauka is up and running.
No inside info, only what Wikipedia tells me.
   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commercial_Crew_Program
has this reference:
   https://tass.com/science/1489645
Which is (sort of) an indication that Starliner-1 is too soon, and Roscosmos wants to see a few more flights before putting cosmonauts on Starliner. The existing agreement covers Crew Dragon, not Starliner:
   https://tass.com/science/1489643
There were no cosmonauts on Crew Dragon prior to Crew-5.

Offline John_Marshall

• Minneapolis
« Reply #134 on: 02/03/2024 09:04 pm »

I would think so, except that I thought I had seen that Russia was throwing in us an extra seat since Loral O'Hara got delayed, to keep the seats for seats trade instead of having Rubio count double. If so, a Soyuz associated with Starliner would be a natural place. Good point, though, re Nauka.

True. It is my understanding that part of the delay, however, was Dmitri Rogozin being difficult and that another part was getting things off the ground with our government, given rules about collaboration with Russia (or something like that). It also seems instructive to note that Starliner has had one more unmanned flight than Dragon before the manned flights start. If you factor those in, something like Starliner-2 or Starliner-3 for starting Starliner cross-flights would make sense.

Offline DanClemmensen

• Earth (currently)
  • Liked: 4455
  • Likes Given: 1851
« Reply #135 on: 02/03/2024 09:51 pm »
True. It is my understanding that part of the delay, however, was Dmitri Rogozin being difficult and that another part was getting things off the ground with our government, given rules about collaboration with Russia (or something like that). It also seems instructive to note that Starliner has had one more unmanned flight than Dragon before the manned flights start. If you factor those in, something like Starliner-2 or Starliner-3 for starting Starliner cross-flights would make sense.
Somehow I'm having difficulty seeing Starliner OFT-1 as a positive.

Offline John_Marshall

• Minneapolis
« Reply #136 on: 02/03/2024 09:57 pm »
Somehow I'm having difficulty seeing Starliner OFT-1 as a positive.

You do have a point there.

Offline John_Marshall

• Minneapolis
« Reply #137 on: 02/06/2024 09:42 pm »
Does anyone know whether Spring 2025 (MS-27, since Starliner-1 is full--assuming it flies ahead of Crew-10) would provide enough time for the 2021 class to train for a flight, or is Fall 2025 (Crew-10 and MS-28) more likely to be their first chance to debut?

Offline Michael Cassutt

• Regular
  • Los Angeles, California
  • Liked: 212
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #138 on: 02/07/2024 06:05 pm »
Does anyone know whether Spring 2025 (MS-27, since Starliner-1 is full--assuming it flies ahead of Crew-10) would provide enough time for the 2021 class to train for a flight, or is Fall 2025 (Crew-10 and MS-28) more likely to be their first chance to debut?

No hard information here but I doubt that the soon-to-be-certified 2021 astronauts will be eligible for Crew-10. An ISS assignment usually requires 2 to 2.5 years of mission-specific training. The 2021s would have had technical assignments since summer 2023 -- capcom, EVA/RBO, Artemis development and even ISS ops -- but even with an ISS-related gig wouldn't be ready for a 6-month increment with 18 months of training.

On the other hand, stranger things have happened. Mike Hopkins was assigned to an ISS crew in 2011 before he was formally certified as an astronaut. (Whitson, chief astronaut, was desperate.) But it was 2.5 years before he launched.

Also, you still have a number of astronaut available for Crew-10, including unflown Kim. I would bet a bit of cash that those astronauts, the two US folks plus Onishi, are already assigned and training.

I would absolutely expect a 2021 to be in line for Crew-11 or Starliner-2.

Michael Cassutt
« Last Edit: 02/07/2024 06:08 pm by Michael Cassutt »

Offline John_Marshall

• Minneapolis
« Reply #139 on: 02/07/2024 06:36 pm »
Thank you! Makes sense to me! I wonder if this means that the NASA astronaut on MS-28 will be a veteran, since Kim is the only qualified rookie now that Zena Cardman has an assignment.

I had not made the connection re Mike Hopkins--wow. Unless it's private information, any idea why Whitson was so desperate then?

I thought I remembered some Soyuz FE2s launching one year after assignment, but I think at least some of those may have been veterans, and I've gotten the idea that assignments are often really delayed relative to when training starts. Interestingly, however, Crew-3 launched a couple months short of two years after Raja Chari officially became an astronaut.
« Last Edit: 02/07/2024 06:53 pm by John_Marshall »

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography