Author Topic: Flight crew assignments questions  (Read 42413 times)

Offline John_Marshall

• Minneapolis
  • Liked: 90
  • Likes Given: 129
Re: Flight crew assignments questions
« Reply #60 on: 08/20/2023 01:12 pm »
ESA is sending up rookie Astronauts in short duration Axiom Crew Dragon flights to the ISS.

You're thinking of the reserve astronauts, not the career astronauts (ESA's terms, not mine).

That's why I think Maurer will be next.
Then experienced astronauts will fly to Gateway.

Maurer was selected in 2015. I agree with you, though, about veterans going to Gateway.

Nick Hague might be a candidate. He his working on Starliner since August 2022 according to his Bio that had just been updated

Cool! I did not know that.

Offline Michael Cassutt

• Regular
  • Los Angeles, California
  • Liked: 212
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #61 on: 08/20/2023 04:37 pm »
I doubt the next ESA astronaut will be Gerst.
It will surely be a German, but I am thinking of Maurer.
But a Canadian should fly first.

Cardman, Kim are the last of the group of 2017 not to have an assignment.

JAXA has officially announced Yui's flight for 2025.

CDR : Kim
PLT : Kutryk
MS-1 : Yui
MS-2 : Gorbounov

Maurer on Starliner 1.

ESA seems pretty good about  giving their Astronauts equal amount of time between flights so I can't really see Maurer getting a slot before Gerst, Parmitano, and Pesquet. Don't forget the new class graduate in November of this year meaning they will be eligible for Crew-9+.

Is this the case? I've heard that the 2022 ESA career astronauts have at least a year of training, and possibly as many as two years, before they are certified. NASA's ASCANS do two years and so do Roskosmos cosmonauts.

MC

Offline Michael Cassutt

• Regular
« Reply #62 on: 08/20/2023 04:43 pm »

Has NASA assigned a new backup CDR to Starliner-1? Check with nasa.gov first. I haven't seen one. Those are just the immediate examples. This thread can be fun if a) we can actually parse a text and b) we don't ignore established facts.

Nick Hague might be a candidate. He his working on Starliner since August 2022 according to his Bio that had just been updated

This makes all the sense in the world (Hague returned from a two-year detail to Washington DC some months prior to Aug 2022), yet I hear he is the likely (or already in training ;) CDR for Crew-9.

MC

Offline jmt27

• Liked: 23
  • Likes Given: 26
« Reply #63 on: 08/20/2023 07:11 pm »
I think NASA wants to get all of the "turtles" (class of 2017) a spaceflight, all in succession. So with Matthew Dominick assigned to Crew-8, that leaves Jonny Kim and Zena Cardman still to fly. My money is on Kim as commander of Crew-9 (most likely in the fall of 2024) and Cardman on Starliner-1 in early 2025.

I think Kutryk could fly on either one of those. Maybe an older NASA astronaut like Stephanie Wilson or Douglas Wheelock as pilot for Crew-9.

Offline Per Olav Sanner

• Norway
  • Liked: 1
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #64 on: 08/20/2023 07:42 pm »
I doubt the next ESA astronaut will be Gerst.
It will surely be a German, but I am thinking of Maurer.
But a Canadian should fly first.

Cardman, Kim are the last of the group of 2017 not to have an assignment.

JAXA has officially announced Yui's flight for 2025.

CDR : Kim
PLT : Kutryk
MS-1 : Yui
MS-2 : Gorbounov

Maurer on Starliner 1.

ESA seems pretty good about  giving their Astronauts equal amount of time between flights so I can't really see Maurer getting a slot before Gerst, Parmitano, and Pesquet. Don't forget the new class graduate in November of this year meaning they will be eligible for Crew-9+.

Is this the case? I've heard that the 2022 ESA career astronauts have at least a year of training, and possibly as many as two years, before they are certified. NASA's ASCANS do two years and so do Roskosmos cosmonauts.

MC

Based on available information from ESA, basic training for the new ESA career astronauts started in April 2023 and will last for one year, followed by advanced training for another year. After that, they will be eligible for mission specific training, which usually takes 18-24 months. This means that the second half of 2026 would be the earliest opportunity for them to fly an ISS increment. On June 16th I conducted a telephone interview with Dr. David Parker, director of human and robotic exploration at ESA. Dr. Parker said that the next ESA incremement after Andreas Mogensen's upcoming flight will be in 2026, which fits with the training timeline. He stated that the 2022 class will cover ESA's need for ISS astronauts for the rest of the station's lifetime and that the already flown astronauts will prepare for Artemis flights.
« Last Edit: 08/20/2023 07:53 pm by Per Olav Sanner »

Offline TALsite

• Spain
  • Liked: 114
  • Likes Given: 34
« Reply #65 on: 08/20/2023 08:31 pm »

ESA had announced that it would offer a second flight opportunity for each astronaut in the class of 2009.
That's why I think Maurer will be next.
Then experienced astronauts will fly to Gateway.

After Maurer, it should be Adenot's turn. She is the oldest of the new class and France has a flight time deficit compared to the Italians and the Germans.
Gerst and Cristoforetti are involved in geological training, so probably they are focused on Artemis flights.  Maybe also Pesquet, third of the 3-BIG ESA countries.
https://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=48796.msg2504553#msg2504553

Based on available information from ESA, basic training for the new ESA career astronauts started in April 2023 and will last for one year, followed by advanced training for another year. After that, they will be eligible for mission specific training, which usually takes 18-24 months. This means that the second half of 2026 would be the earliest opportunity for them to fly an ISS increment. On June 16th I conducted a telephone interview with Dr. David Parker, director of human and robotic exploration at ESA. Dr. Parker said that the next ESA incremement after Andreas Mogensen's upcoming flight will be in 2026, which fits with the training timeline. He stated that the 2022 class will cover ESA's need for ISS astronauts for the rest of the station's lifetime and that the already flown astronauts will prepare for Artemis flights.
I agree with your training timeline.

So if ESA need to fill an ISS spot, prior to the ASCANs availibity, I think Maurer with only one spaceflight is the best placed.

With the ASCANs, yes, age (see my attached pic) usually is a factor that sometimes we can see is used to assign astronauts to a flight, but I think (and desire as Spaniard) that the first flight of the group will go to Pablo Alvarez.  Pedro Duque was involved in advanced training (i.e. CAVES) for a flight (although not confirmed) years ago, but suddenly he became Science Minister of Spain, loosing his flight.  And money, IMO, is a real factor to selections too.

For the pic, based on my data, "Days ago" means days from their last space return
« Last Edit: 08/20/2023 08:35 pm by TALsite »

Offline John_Marshall

• Minneapolis
« Reply #66 on: 08/20/2023 10:24 pm »
This makes all the sense in the world (Hague returned from a two-year detail to Washington DC some months prior to Aug 2022), yet I hear he is the likely (or already in training ;) CDR for Crew-9.

Wouldn't that put him on Dragon, though? Or are you saying he might fly on a different flight than the rumors say?

(snipped). This means that the second half of 2026 would be the earliest opportunity for them to fly an ISS increment. On June 16th I conducted a telephone interview with Dr. David Parker, director of human and robotic exploration at ESA. Dr. Parker said that the next ESA incremement after Andreas Mogensen's upcoming flight will be in 2026, which fits with the training timeline. He stated that the 2022 class will cover ESA's need for ISS astronauts for the rest of the station's lifetime and that the already flown astronauts will prepare for Artemis flights.

Interesting! I'm surprised it's that long, though. That would mean either Starliner-2 or Crew-11.

Offline DwightM

• Veteran
  • Valdez, AK
  • Liked: 713
  • Likes Given: 901
« Reply #67 on: 08/21/2023 04:01 am »
Hague was the backup for Crew-6, so he's got his Dragon training.  A Hague-CDR, Yui-PLT, Cardman-MS1, Gorbunov-MS2 Crew-9 would be my guess.

Offline hektor

• Liked: 1196
  • Likes Given: 54
« Reply #68 on: 08/21/2023 12:33 pm »
Any recent update about the Nima Shahinian initiative ?
« Last Edit: 08/21/2023 12:35 pm by hektor »

Offline John_Marshall

• Minneapolis
« Reply #69 on: 08/21/2023 04:05 pm »
Hague was the backup for Crew-6, so he's got his Dragon training.

I did not know that. Cool!

Offline vp.

• France
  • Liked: 59
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #70 on: 08/21/2023 04:50 pm »
I thought Crew-6's back-up was Crew-7 ???

Offline John_Marshall

• Minneapolis
« Reply #71 on: 08/21/2023 05:12 pm »
I thought Crew-6's back-up was Crew-7 ???

Fedyayev's backup was Borisov, but I don't think it carried over for any of the others.

Offline davidrobertson

• Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #72 on: 08/21/2023 06:20 pm »
Hague was the backup for Crew-6, so he's got his Dragon training.  A Hague-CDR, Yui-PLT, Cardman-MS1, Gorbunov-MS2 Crew-9 would be my guess.

It`s great!
« Last Edit: 08/23/2023 08:11 am by davidrobertson »

Offline Ben E

• Liked: 101
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #73 on: 08/21/2023 11:00 pm »
I didn't know Hague was Crew-6 backup CDR.

Offline DwightM

• Veteran
  • Valdez, AK
  • Liked: 713
  • Likes Given: 901
« Reply #74 on: 08/22/2023 02:28 am »
I suppose backup was the incorrect term.  There are astros who are with a crew in a support type capacity like Barron to Crew-3 (then Wilson when Barron was assigned), Cardman for Crew-5 and Hague for Crew-6.  I'm not suggesting it directly leads to an assignment but rather that astronaut gains training experience/exposure to Dragon.

Offline Michael Cassutt

• Regular
« Reply #75 on: 08/22/2023 02:55 am »
I suppose backup was the incorrect term.  There are astros who are with a crew in a support type capacity like Barron to Crew-3 (then Wilson when Barron was assigned), Cardman for Crew-5 and Hague for Crew-6.  I'm not suggesting it directly leads to an assignment but rather that astronaut gains training experience/exposure to Dragon.

I had the same question as Ben, but this is a good answer. Yes, NASA assigns a CSA, Crew Support Astronaut, to each mission.

MC

Offline John2375

• Regular
  • Liked: 9
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #76 on: 09/15/2023 05:37 pm »
Totally off-topic but I was killing some time earlier.. I think this is accurate:
The most space shuttle landings made by CDRs:

5: Jim Wetherbee STS-52,63,86,102,113
4: Hoot Gibson STS-61C,27,47,71
3: Vance Brand STS-5,41B,35
3: Bob Crippen STS-7,41C,41G
3: Dan Bradenstein: STS-51G,32,49
3: Dave Walker STS-30,53,69
3: Dick Richards STS-41,50,64
3: John Casper STS-54,62,77
3: Ken Cockrell STS-80,98,111
3: Jim Halsell STS-83,94,101
3: Curt Brown STS-85,95,103
3: Steve Lindsey STS-104,121,133

Eileen Collins STS-93,114 Brent Jett STS-97,115: only CDRs with multiple night landings

Offline John_Marshall

• Minneapolis
« Reply #77 on: 09/19/2023 04:11 am »
Has there been any recent news about the upcoming Soyuz flight(s) specifically for tourists, like MS-20 was? I know that at least one more was rumored over the next few years. Mods, feel free to move if this is not the right thread.

Offline Hog

• Woodstock
  • Liked: 1700
  • Likes Given: 6866
« Reply #78 on: 09/20/2023 08:33 pm »
I think NASA wants to get all of the "turtles" (class of 2017) a spaceflight, all in succession. So with Matthew Dominick assigned to Crew-8, that leaves Jonny Kim and Zena Cardman still to fly. My money is on Kim as commander of Crew-9 (most likely in the fall of 2024) and Cardman on Starliner-1 in early 2025.

I think Kutryk could fly on either one of those. Maybe an older NASA astronaut like Stephanie Wilson or Douglas Wheelock as pilot for Crew-9.
emphasis mine

They still have astronauts from the 2009 Class "the Chumps" that still need to fly.  At least they both finally have assignments now.
1) Jeanette Epps after being given an ISS rotation Exp. 56/57, then re-assigned to Starliner-1, then re-assigned to Dragon-Crew-8.
2) Jeremy Hansen Artemis-2.
Paul

« Reply #79 on: 10/02/2023 08:59 am »
Look like Crew-9 will be :

CDR :
PLT : Zena Cardman
MS-1 : Kimiya Yui
MS-2 : Aleksandr Gorbunov

But does somebody have inside for the CDR ? Their is rumors of either Bresnik, Wheelock or Kim

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography