Author Topic: Flight crew assignments questions  (Read 42417 times)

Offline NasaFan95

• Chesterfield Michigan
  • Liked: 13
  • Likes Given: 0
Flight crew assignments questions
« on: 06/05/2023 12:06 pm »
Dedicated thread for questions, to keep the main thread clean for actual assignments.

I do have a question when is the Boeing crewed flight test gonna happen it was originally scheduled for July and now has been postponed until a later date, so I wonder if space x crew 9 will fly first or if starliner crew 1 will fly first instead of doing the test flight. If anyone knows anything please let me know.
« Last Edit: 06/05/2023 01:59 pm by Chris Bergin »

Re: Re: Flight crew assignments questions
« Reply #1 on: 06/05/2023 01:51 pm »
With what we can read in some of Borisov Telegram post, Prokopiev will continue to command until his departure, then Mogensen until Crew-7 departure (so nearly the complete Exp-70) and then Kononenko take for the end of 70 and Exp-71 in complete.

The question is who will take in for Exp-72 but it will be a USOS astro for sure
« Last Edit: 06/05/2023 03:04 pm by marcdrnl »

Offline John_Marshall

• Minneapolis
  • Liked: 90
  • Likes Given: 129
« Reply #2 on: 06/05/2023 05:02 pm »
I do have a question when is the Boeing crewed flight test gonna happen it was originally scheduled for July and now has been postponed until a later date, so I wonder if space x crew 9 will fly first or if starliner crew 1 will fly first instead of doing the test flight. If anyone knows anything please let me know.

No one has any way of knowing what will fly when right now. They're not going to skip the test flight, but otherwise, your guess is probably as good as mine. Until news comes out, nobody knows. Right now, all any of us can do is speculate.

With what we can read in some of Borisov Telegram post, Prokopiev will continue to command until his departure, then Mogensen until Crew-7 departure (so nearly the complete Exp-70) and then Kononenko take for the end of 70 and Exp-71 in complete.

The question is who will take in for Exp-72 but it will be a USOS astro for sure

Thanks, Marc! I hadn't seen that.

Offline vp.

• France
  • Liked: 59
  • Likes Given: 6
Re: Flight crew assignments questions
« Reply #3 on: 06/05/2023 06:11 pm »

Why Mogensen, not Furukawa ?

Offline NasaFan95

• Chesterfield Michigan
« Reply #4 on: 06/06/2023 01:44 am »
So whoíll command the second half of expedition 71 barratt or Caldwell. Based on ISS experience Iíd go with barratt.

Offline John_Marshall

• Minneapolis
« Reply #5 on: 06/06/2023 02:45 am »
So whoíll command the second half of expedition 71 barratt or Caldwell. Based on ISS experience Iíd go with barratt.

Marc said a couple posts back that Kononenko will command all of Expedition 71. If you mean Expedition 72, nobody knows right now.

Offline Ben E

• Liked: 101
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #6 on: 06/06/2023 05:12 am »
Per Rob Navias, in a comment to me some time ago:

Prokopyev commands Exp69 through his crew's departure in September 2023
Mogensen commands Exp70 through his crew's departure in February 2024
Kononenko was assigned to command the remainder of Exp70 through his crew's departure in March 2024.

Now that Kononenko's increment has been lengthened from six months to a year, I have no idea. Perhaps a precedent has been set by Prokopyev, which may mean Kononenko will also command Exp71 through September 2024?

But they don't tend to name ISS CDRs this far out. Remember last year Cristoforetti was meant to command, then for a while her flight was shortened and she was not expected to command, and then things changed again and she got a few weeks in command after all. It tends to change based on crew assignments and when flights take place.

Offline NasaFan95

• Chesterfield Michigan
« Reply #7 on: 06/06/2023 12:27 pm »
Thatís I think just rumors that heís gonna command expedition 71.,

Offline John_Marshall

• Minneapolis
« Reply #8 on: 06/06/2023 04:36 pm »
Please stop asking this question. You've asked several times and received appropriate answers.

Thank you.

Online gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
  • Liked: 13939
  • Likes Given: 5971
« Reply #9 on: 06/06/2023 04:37 pm »
There is a thread for the Starliner flight.  The latest info should be in that thread.

Online zubenelgenubi

• Global Moderator
  • Arc to Arcturus, then Spike to Spica
  • Sometimes it feels like Trantor in the time of Hari Seldon
  • Liked: 7543
  • Likes Given: 73580
« Reply #10 on: 07/15/2023 08:08 am »
In response to a member question regarding this thread:
Profile > Modify Profile > Buddies/Ignore List > Edit Ignore List
Support your local planetarium! (COVID-panic and forward: Now more than ever.) My current avatar is saying "i wants to go uppies!" Yes, there are God-given rights. Do you wish to gainsay the Declaration of Independence?

Offline John_Marshall

• Minneapolis
« Reply #11 on: 08/01/2023 12:35 am »
Sorry if this isn't the right thread for this, but does anyone know when it is likely to be announced whether USCV-9 will be a Dragon flight or a Starliner flight? We're not much over a year from launch, presuming that the current calendar continues into 2024.

Offline Ben E

« Reply #12 on: 08/03/2023 10:15 am »
Judging from earlier CFT remarks, the Starliner-1 mission is anticipated a year after CFT.

As such, at the present time, Starliner-1 is USCV-9 in late summer/early fall of 2024. Tingle and Fincke are already assigned and the names of Yui and Kutryk have also been floated, but not sure how accurate that is.

One thing I'm fairly sure is that the Russians won't fly a cosmonaut on Starliner-1. Or will they?

Offline John_Marshall

• Minneapolis
« Reply #13 on: 08/03/2023 05:32 pm »
Judging from earlier CFT remarks, the Starliner-1 mission is anticipated a year after CFT.

As such, at the present time, Starliner-1 is USCV-9 in late summer/early fall of 2024. Tingle and Fincke are already assigned and the names of Yui and Kutryk have also been floated, but not sure how accurate that is.

One thing I'm fairly sure is that the Russians won't fly a cosmonaut on Starliner-1. Or will they?

Right. I knew that was the plan for USCV-9 before the Crewed Flight Test got delayed, but I didn't know if it was still the plan now. Re Yui and Kutryk, that's interesting. I had thought that would one of them would be on PCM-1 and the other would be on Crew-9.

I think I saw that they wanted one or two good flights first (I forget which), so I would think no but that it won't take as long as it did with Dragon (although I know that part of that delay was getting the swaps off the ground in the first place.

« Reply #14 on: 08/03/2023 08:18 pm »
As of that time, the specific schedules for Boeing's Crewed Flight Test (Starliner) and SpaceX's Crew-9 mission were not available. For the most current information on these missions and their schedules, I recommend checking with official NASA or Boeing/SpaceX sources or reputable news outlets.

Offline ZachS09

• Space Savant
  • Roanoke, TX
  • Liked: 2367
  • Likes Given: 2066
« Reply #15 on: 08/05/2023 01:56 am »
My best guess as to why Matt Dominick is commander is because he's a test pilot, and such occupation qualifies him as commander. I don't think spaceflight experience plays a factor when choosing flight assignments.

That doesn't explain Kjell Lindgren and Bob Hines on Crew-4, but otherwise, I think you're right.

Moved this comment to the "Flight crew assignments questions" thread in "General Discussion" since it's off-topic in the Crew-8 thread.

The term "test pilot" refers to an experienced fighter pilot who evaluates brand-new aircraft technologies and other stuff a regular fighter pilot doesn't have experience with. Bob Hines' occupation prior to entering the astronaut corps was a civilian research pilot.

To me, the term "civilian research" is a slightly lower rank than test pilot. Hence maybe why Bob Hines was assigned as Crew-4 pilot. Don't know why Kjell Lindgren was assigned as Crew-4 commander since he's a physician.
« Last Edit: 08/05/2023 01:57 am by ZachS09 »
Liftoff for St. Jude's! Go Dragon, Go Falcon, Godspeed Inspiration4!

Offline John_Marshall

• Minneapolis
« Reply #16 on: 08/05/2023 04:04 am »
Moved this comment to the "Flight crew assignments questions" thread in "General Discussion" since it's off-topic in the Crew-8 thread.

The term "test pilot" refers to an experienced fighter pilot who evaluates brand-new aircraft technologies and other stuff a regular fighter pilot doesn't have experience with. Bob Hines' occupation prior to entering the astronaut corps was a civilian research pilot.

To me, the term "civilian research" is a slightly lower rank than test pilot. Hence maybe why Bob Hines was assigned as Crew-4 pilot. Don't know why Kjell Lindgren was assigned as Crew-4 commander since he's a physician.

Sorry! Didn't mean to be off topic! I thought it was on topic in that what you were saying explained Crew-8 and assignments other than Crew-4 (e.g., Chari and Marshburn on Crew-3).

That could be it. He was a fighter pilot and test pilot before that, though, and his NASA bio says that he has over 4,000 hours of flight time in 50 aircraft and 76 combat missions across 3 aircraft.

Offline dcfowler1

• Liked: 37
  • Likes Given: 8
Re: Flight crw assignments questions
« Reply #17 on: 08/05/2023 04:07 am »
On Dragon, test flight experience or fighter pilot experience isn't that important for CDR and PLT, as the craft mostly flies itself.

Moghbeli is a rotor wing pilot and is Crew 7 commander, for instance.

Also, FYI, civilians go through test pilot school too. In my mind, a 'research pilot' is a 'test pilot.'

Offline John_Marshall

• Minneapolis
Re: Flight crw assignments questions
« Reply #18 on: 08/05/2023 04:29 am »
On Dragon, test flight experience or fighter pilot experience isn't that important for CDR and PLT, as the craft mostly flies itself.

Understood. I was just surprised by the break of the "pattern" with Lindgren-Hines, as compared with, e.g., Kimbrough-McArthur and Chari-Marshburn and Dominick-Barratt.

Offline Ben E

« Reply #19 on: 08/05/2023 06:12 am »
Lindgren also backed-up Demo-2, so that might go some way to explaining why he drew the Crew-4 command, rather than Hines.

Offline John_Marshall

• Minneapolis
« Reply #20 on: 08/05/2023 04:53 pm »
Lindgren also backed-up Demo-2, so that might go some way to explaining why he drew the Crew-4 command, rather than Hines.

True. It doesn't explain how he ended up with that assignment, but once he got it, the rest does make sense.

Offline Hog

• Woodstock
  • Liked: 1700
  • Likes Given: 6866
« Reply #21 on: 08/06/2023 01:52 am »
My best guess as to why Matt Dominick is commander is because he's a test pilot, and such occupation qualifies him as commander. I don't think spaceflight experience plays a factor when choosing flight assignments.

That doesn't explain Kjell Lindgren and Bob Hines on Crew-4, but otherwise, I think you're right.

You don't have to fly fighters to be a test pilot, you must have completed test pilot school.
Paul

Offline NasaFan95

• Chesterfield Michigan
« Reply #22 on: 08/14/2023 03:50 pm »

Not trying to speculate the question I have since the starliner mission is the next supposed mission after crew 8 will Dominick stay on as backup commander or will Nicole Mann, Josh Cassada, Butch Wilmore or Suni Williams backup Scott Tingle.
« Last Edit: 08/15/2023 10:11 pm by NasaFan95 »

Offline NasaFan95

• Chesterfield Michigan
« Reply #23 on: 08/14/2023 03:53 pm »

if I had to guess the first 15 to 20 days of expedition 72 and I swear Iím not trying to speculate Mike Barratt, than Aleksey Ovchinin. That be my guess.
« Last Edit: 08/15/2023 10:10 pm by NasaFan95 »

Offline NasaFan95

• Chesterfield Michigan
« Reply #24 on: 08/14/2023 04:01 pm »

You don't have to fly fighters to be a test pilot, you must have completed test pilot school.
Hines is a research pilot not a military test pilot which is why he was pilot on crew 4, itís the same thing for Woody Hoburg heís an assistant professor astronaut  with nasa not a military test pilot, thatís why Bowen got the command on crew 6.

Offline John_Marshall

• Minneapolis
« Reply #25 on: 08/14/2023 04:05 pm »
Not trying to speculate the question I have since the starliner mission is the next supposed mission after crew 8 will Dominick stay on as backup commander or will Nicole mann, Josh cassada, Butch wilmore or Suni Williams backup tingle.

Dominick has been moved over to Dragon.

if I had to guess the first 15 to 20 days of expedition 72 and I swear Iím not trying to speculate Mike barratt, than aleksey ovchinin. That be my guess.

I know you're not trying to, but you still are speculating (forming a theory or conjecture about a subject without firm evidence). Please stop.

[zubenelgenubi explanation and editorial:
These posts were split/merged from the assignment thread to the "questions" thread created, in part, for the almost-idle speculation that the OP craves.  Ranks right up there with the continued speculation about the hypothetical crews of Apollo 18, 19, and 20, fifty-odd years later.]

Hines is a research pilot not a military test pilot which is why he was pilot on crew 4, itís the same thing for Woody Hoburg heís an assistant professor astronaut  with nasa not a military test pilot, thatís why Bowen got the command on crew 6.

Hines was a military pilot, with 76 combat missions. I'm not surprised Hoburg flew as PLT, for the reasons you mention.
« Last Edit: 08/15/2023 01:03 am by zubenelgenubi »

Offline Rian

• Liked: 11
  • Likes Given: 22
« Reply #26 on: 08/15/2023 12:43 am »
Can we just go ahead and make a flight crew assignments speculation thread? (it will end the disagreements about wether something is speculation, etc).

I'm sure there are a few of us who would post in there (me included) and there are various other speculation based threads on here.

Online zubenelgenubi

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: 08/15/2023 01:00 am »
Can we just go ahead and make a flight crew assignments speculation thread? (it will end the disagreements about wether something is speculation, etc).
This is that thread (to an extent).
See my added note in the post above. 📝
Support your local planetarium! (COVID-panic and forward: Now more than ever.) My current avatar is saying "i wants to go uppies!" Yes, there are God-given rights. Do you wish to gainsay the Declaration of Independence?

Offline John_Marshall

• Minneapolis
« Reply #28 on: 08/15/2023 01:19 am »

Thank you for the guidance and clarification. The rampant speculation has become quite frustrating, so I appreciate your chiming in.

Offline Rian

« Reply #29 on: 08/15/2023 02:11 am »

I don't understand why we can't just have an actual speculation thread so we don't constantly have to juggle around the extent something is "speculation" or not.  "To an extent" doesn't make a whole lot of sense in the direction of a thread.

Not trying to speculate the question I have since the starliner mission is the next supposed mission after crew 8 will Dominick stay on as backup commander or will Nicole mann, Josh cassada, Butch wilmore or Suni Williams backup tingle.

if I had to guess the first 15 to 20 days of expedition 72 and I swear Iím not trying to speculate Mike barratt, than aleksey ovchinin. That be my guess.

I know you're not trying to, but you still are speculating (forming a theory or conjecture about a subject without firm evidence). Please stop.

These posts were split/merged from the assignment thread to the "questions" thread created, in part, for the almost-idle speculation that the OP craves.  Ranks right up there with the continued speculation about the hypothetical crews of Apollo 18, 19, and 20, fifty-odd years later.]

I also think we shouldn't judge people based on what they want to discuss in this thread or any thread. Hence why I believe a true speculation thread just makes sense. Just my two cents. Mod can remove this message just think it would make things much easier.

Offline dcfowler1

« Reply #30 on: 08/15/2023 02:42 am »

That's nonsense.

Offline Ben E

« Reply #31 on: 08/15/2023 05:48 am »
I think seniority had more to do with the Bowen-Hoburg assignment. Bowen had three prior Shuttle flights to his credit, in addition to a military background.

Lindgren had a prior ISS increment and the Demo-2 backup command (not PLT) to his credit.

As I understand it, Dragon does not require test piloting credentials (or a military background) for the CDR.

Offline NasaFan95

• Chesterfield Michigan
« Reply #32 on: 08/15/2023 11:50 am »

I don't understand why we can't just have an actual speculation thread so we don't constantly have to juggle around the extent something is "speculation" or not.  "To an extent" doesn't make a whole lot of sense in the direction of a thread.

I also think we shouldn't judge people based on what they want to discuss in this thread or any thread. Hence why I believe a true speculation thread just makes sense. Just my two cents. Mod can remove this message just think it would make things much easier.
Iím all for that we could call it crew assignment speculation

Offline NasaFan95

• Chesterfield Michigan
« Reply #33 on: 08/15/2023 11:52 am »
I think seniority had more to do with the Bowen-Hoburg assignment. Bowen had three prior Shuttle flights to his credit, in addition to a military background.

Lindgren had a prior ISS increment and the Demo-2 backup command (not PLT) to his credit.

As I understand it, Dragon does not require test piloting credentials (or a military background) for the CDR.
so youíre saying someone like a Megan mcarthur could command dragon despite not being a test pilot having flown two previous missions, a shuttle mission, & a dragon mission as pilot.

Offline NasaFan95

• Chesterfield Michigan
« Reply #34 on: 08/15/2023 11:54 am »

No one has any way of knowing what will fly when right now. They're not going to skip the test flight, but otherwise, your guess is probably as good as mine. Until news comes out, nobody knows. Right now, all any of us can do is speculate.

Thanks, Marc! I hadn't seen that.
supposedly the Boeing crewed flight test is happening in March of next year from what Iíve read.

Offline John_Marshall

• Minneapolis
« Reply #35 on: 08/15/2023 03:56 pm »
Your posts are very hard to read and to understand. I'm missing periods at the end of the sentences. A lot of names like Barratt, Marshburn or Fincke you wrote with small first letter. This is not correct.

Seconded. The post is punctuated as if the entire thing was one sentence, which makes it much harder to follow.

Offline NasaFan95

• Chesterfield Michigan
« Reply #36 on: 08/15/2023 10:07 pm »
Your posts are very hard to read and to understand. I'm missing periods at the end of the sentences. A lot of names like Barratt, Marshburn or Fincke you wrote with small first letter. This is not correct.

Seconded. The post is punctuated as if the entire thing was one sentence, which makes it much harder to follow.
I apologize John I have punctuation issues.

Offline John_Marshall

• Minneapolis
« Reply #37 on: 08/16/2023 01:19 am »

Understood. I'll be honest with you and won't say it's not frustrating reading your posts, but my goal in my previous post was genuinely still to help, not to critique.

Offline NasaFan95

• Chesterfield Michigan
« Reply #38 on: 08/17/2023 04:29 pm »

Hines was a military pilot, with 76 combat missions. I'm not surprised Hoburg flew as PLT, for the reasons you mention.
with Dominick moving over to dragon to command crew 8 have they named a replacement backup commander for starliner 1.

Offline Hog

• Woodstock
« Reply #39 on: 08/17/2023 05:29 pm »

You're missing the point.
You defined the term test pilot as "an experienced fighter pilot who evaluates brand-new aircraft technologies and other stuff a regular fighter pilot doesn't have experience with."  This is INCORRECT.

Test pilots have various experiences with flying bombers, cargo, fighter(ie fixed wing aircraft), helicopters(ie rotary wing, not just with fighter type aircraft.  The defining factor in being a test pilot is that you were selected for and graduated from a proper Test Pilot School, being military or civilian is irrelevant.
Example of military Test Pilot School is the US Air Force Test Pilot School and the United States Naval Test Pilot School,. Over 90 astronauts have graduated from the USNTPS.  Both  military personnel AND civilians may apply to the USAFTPS and pilots, navigators and engineers may attend either school.

There is also the National Test Pilot School in the USA which is a civilian school, but I'm not too familiar with it.

Fred Haise, was to be the 6th human to walk the Moon, attended what at the time was called the U.S. Air Force Aerospace Research Pilot School, and worked for years with NASA as a civilian pilot. He was the first graduate of his NASA Astronaut Class(NASA Group #5) to be assigned a space mission, Apollo-13.

There's also spots for international personnel fmr. CSA Astronaut and RCAF Fighter Test Pilot Chris Hadfield attended the USAFTPS and served as an exchange officer with the US Navy.

Hobough is a NASA astronaut, who worked as an Assistant Professor and is a private pilot.  At NASA, astros can either be Active, Managers or Candidates.  Flight Test School graduation is used to satisfy the Masters degree requirement for Astronaut candidacy(as well as a completed Physician program(MD or DO).  His selection as the Pilot just shows how things have changed in regards to Pilot positions of modern capsules as when actual flying was performed by Pilots/Commanders during STS.
Paul

Offline dcfowler1

« Reply #40 on: 08/18/2023 03:28 am »
Further, US astronauts have attended ETPS (Empire Test Pilot School) in the UK, and France's …PNER (…cole du personnel navigant d'essais et de rťception).

Has nasafan missed the fact that the Crew 7 commander is both a rotor wing pilot and a test pilot?

Online Michael Cassutt

• Regular
  • Los Angeles, California
  • Liked: 212
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #41 on: 08/18/2023 05:55 pm »

You've said so, and it happens. But you are online so why not try Grammarly or other sites that will help you with your texts.

And, for those who came in late, this IS the "speculation" thread, largely created to find a home for NASAFan95. I have speculated about flight crew assignments, US and Russian, for decades so, believe it or not, am sympathetic and interested.

But what drives me and, I suspect, others here to distraction is speculation that ignores available public information. How can you ask if Dominick -- who was never officially assigned as a Starliner backup -- is still the Starliner backup at a time when he will be flying Crew-9?

Has NASA assigned a new backup CDR to Starliner-1? Check with nasa.gov first. I haven't seen one. Those are just the immediate examples. This thread can be fun if a) we can actually parse a text and b) we don't ignore established facts.

Michael Cassutt
co-author DEKE!, WE HAVE CAPTURE
author THE ASTRONAUT MAKER, WHO'S WHO IN SPACE (3 volumes)

Online Michael Cassutt

• Regular
« Reply #42 on: 08/18/2023 06:59 pm »

Even I, with some inside sources, have no explanation for the assignment of Chari as CDR of Crew-3.... but there is one bit of info that has not been published as far as I know:

Lindgren was originally assigned as CDR of Crew-2, a logical step given his years of backup duty on Dragon. But he had to step aside due to a temporary medical matter.

Was the original CDR/PLT team of Crew-2 Lindgren-McArthur? Logic says so but maybe it was Lindgren-Marshburn with Kimbrough-McArthur originally Crew-3.

Either way, the Lindgren change, made at some point prior to the Crew-2 announcement in July 2020, seems to have opened a spot for Chari.

Speculation, I know: guilty, officer ;)

MC

Offline John_Marshall

• Minneapolis
« Reply #43 on: 08/18/2023 08:56 pm »
But what drives me and, I suspect, others here to distraction is speculation that ignores available public information. How can you ask if Dominick -- who was never officially assigned as a Starliner backup -- is still the Starliner backup at a time when he will be flying Crew-9?

Thank you very much for putting words to our frustration, Michael. I would just add that speculation that ignores the absence of information is equally frustrating, such as who will command Expedition insert-number-here that's still way down the line.

Regarding Matthew Dominick, was that never official? I was pretty sure that I read that in something official (I know I read it--I just can't recall where)--but I could be wrong.

Lindgren was originally assigned as CDR of Crew-2, a logical step given his years of backup duty on Dragon. But he had to step aside due to a temporary medical matter.

Interesting! I did not know that. I recall wondering why his second flight was delayed so long when he had been a backup even for DM-2 (the very first flight).

Online zubenelgenubi

• Global Moderator
« Reply #44 on: 08/18/2023 09:13 pm »
Are/were there any astronaut or ASCAN doctors of osteopathy?
Flight Test School graduation is used to satisfy the Masters degree requirement for Astronaut candidacy (as well as a completed Physician program (MD or DO)).

Online zubenelgenubi

• Global Moderator
« Reply #45 on: 08/18/2023 09:39 pm »
Thank you for posting! 😊
You've said so, and it happens. But you are online so why not try Grammarly or other sites that will help you with your texts.

And, for those who came in late, this IS the "speculation" thread, largely created to find a home for NASAFan95. I have speculated about flight crew assignments, US and Russian, for decades so, believe it or not, am sympathetic and interested.

Has NASA assigned a new backup CDR to Starliner-1? Check with nasa.gov first. I haven't seen one. Those are just the immediate examples. This thread can be fun if a) we can actually parse a text and b) we don't ignore established facts.

Michael Cassutt
co-author DEKE!, WE HAVE CAPTURE
author THE ASTRONAUT MAKER, WHO'S WHO IN SPACE (3 volumes)

Our content-contributing and reading membership demands, and Chris Bergin and his moderators seek to provide, a professional level of writing and discourse.

We also like to have fun--see our party thread as an example. 🥳
https://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=43418.0

We know of, and allow for, varying levels of English as a foreign language proficiency.

We also acknowledge that even native English speakers may not have the mastered the skill of polishing their written statements, in the way that USA high school graduates should have mastered.

There are more tools 🔧 to assist one with writing than ever before.  I second the suggestion to seek and use at least one.

Also, using proper spelling, grammar, and syntax will earn one greater respect in any written forum.  That's not only true here; it's a life lesson.

Pure, ignoring-established-facts speculation, in my opinion, has no home here on this forum. I believe Chris B shares this belief.  There is an active report to moderator on this very thread and topic, visible to the forum administrators and moderators.

Light closing joke, in the words of wisdom from Dean Wormer to Kent Dorfman:
"Fat, drunk 🥴 , and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

« Last Edit: 08/18/2023 09:50 pm by zubenelgenubi »

Offline Rian

« Reply #46 on: 08/19/2023 01:19 am »

Thank you very much for putting words to our frustration, Michael. I would just add that speculation that ignores the absence of information is equally frustrating, such as who will command Expedition insert-number-here that's still way down the line.

Not to open the can of worms again but what makes the discussion of who we think will be commander of a future expedition unwarranted speculation but then it is ok to have full discussions about who we think will be on future Artemis missions.

I think speculation that ignores the absence of information frustrating goes to show this isn't a true speculation thread. Speculation is without firm evidence.

If we wanted to speculate who was on the crew of Artemis III where would one go to do that? That is the question I have because according to those in this thread this is not the thread but we "can't" go ahead and make a speculation thread.

Edit: I believe to a certain degree speculating future commanders, crews, etc. is absolutely no different than many on this forum do in regards to speculating who is getting the CLD award or when Starship is launching next.
« Last Edit: 08/19/2023 01:28 am by Rian »

Offline John_Marshall

• Minneapolis
« Reply #47 on: 08/19/2023 04:01 am »
I think speculation that ignores the absence of information frustrating goes to show this isn't a true speculation thread. Speculation is without firm evidence.

Edit: I believe to a certain degree speculating future commanders, crews, etc. is absolutely no different than many on this forum do in regards to speculating who is getting the CLD award or when Starship is launching next.

I wasn't clear in my post. Let me try to clarify. I could give you a prediction for the Artemis V crew that has little chance of being right but is defensible based on who has flown when and my Artemis III and IV predictions. I wasn't talking about that. What frustrates me is walls of text chock full of non-educated-guess speculation that might as well be picking names out of a hat and/or is based on little more than who one would like to see fly, as well as repeatedly asking about or musing on very simple questions that clearly have not been answered yet (like a launch date for mission X or a backup crew for mission Y) and that we are likely to get the answers to at basically the same time as the person asking. I hope this helps.

Offline dcfowler1

« Reply #48 on: 08/19/2023 05:53 am »
Are/were there any astronaut or ASCAN doctors of osteopathy?
Flight Test School graduation is used to satisfy the Masters degree requirement for Astronaut candidacy (as well as a completed Physician program (MD or DO)).

At least three DOs have been finalists, but none selected to date.

Offline vp.

• France
« Reply #49 on: 08/19/2023 07:10 am »
And now, we can speculate on Crew-9.  ;D

« Reply #50 on: 08/19/2023 07:54 am »
And now, we can speculate on Crew-9.  ;D

Mine are :

CDR : Anne McClain or Randy Bresnik or Jonathan Kim
PLT : Zena Cardman or Jonathan Kim or Alexander Gerst
MS-1 : Kimiya Yui (confirmed already)
MS-2 : Aleksandr Gorbunov (not confirmed but logical since he is Aleksandr Grebyonkin back-up for Crew-8)

But something sure, Crew-9 his already in training together, we just need to have inside info or picture and we will identify who is on Crew-9
« Last Edit: 08/19/2023 07:54 am by marcdrnl »

Offline vp.

• France
« Reply #51 on: 08/19/2023 09:52 am »
I doubt the next ESA astronaut will be Gerst.
It will surely be a German, but I am thinking of Maurer.
But a Canadian should fly first.

Cardman, Kim are the last of the group of 2017 not to have an assignment.

JAXA has officially announced Yui's flight for 2025.

CDR : Kim
PLT : Kutryk
MS-1 : Yui
MS-2 : Gorbounov

Maurer on Starliner 1.

Online Michael Cassutt

• Regular
« Reply #52 on: 08/19/2023 03:51 pm »

I wasn't clear in my post. Let me try to clarify. I could give you a prediction for the Artemis V crew that has little chance of being right but is defensible based on who has flown when and my Artemis III and IV predictions. [snippage]

We could all have fun speculating on Artemis III right now, since it seems likely to be a Gateway or lunar orbit mission, not a landing.

(I think Bresnik is a good candidate for an Artemis command, especially this one, with McClain as PLT, Wilson as MS. Not sure if the first Gateway would have an international MS.)

Now, back to Artemis IV, first landing ;)

Michael Cassutt

Online Chris Bergin

« Reply #53 on: 08/19/2023 04:05 pm »
And I would remind folk, this is NOT the main crew assignment thread, that is here:

https://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=740.0

This is a discussion thread where any such posts listed above are here.
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline Rian

« Reply #54 on: 08/20/2023 03:10 am »

Maurer on Starliner 1.

ESA seems pretty good about  giving their Astronauts equal amount of time between flights so I can't really see Maurer getting a slot before Gerst, Parmitano, and Pesquet. Don't forget the new class graduate in November of this year meaning they will be eligible for Crew-9+.
« Last Edit: 08/20/2023 03:15 am by Rian »

Offline John_Marshall

• Minneapolis
« Reply #55 on: 08/20/2023 03:38 am »
ESA seems pretty good about  giving their Astronauts equal amount of time between flights so I can't really see Maurer getting a slot before Gerst, Parmitano, and Pesquet. Don't forget the new class graduate in November of this year meaning they will be eligible for Crew-9+.

Would one of them have enough time to train for Crew-9, which will launch in basically a year from now? It seems like it would make more sense for Yui to get the Crew-9 seat (as seems to have been confirmed), Kutryk to get the PCM-1 seat, and a rookie ESA astronaut to fly on Crew-10.

Offline Rian

« Reply #56 on: 08/20/2023 03:50 am »

Would one of them have enough time to train for Crew-9, which will launch in basically a year from now? It seems like it would make more sense for Yui to get the Crew-9 seat (as seems to have been confirmed), Kutryk to get the PCM-1 seat, and a rookie ESA astronaut to fly on Crew-10.

I think Jessica Watkins and Shannon Walker both didn't start training until a year or less. But I believe you're right in terms of Crew-10. I'm interested to see how ESA gives flights to rookies versus experienced astronauts once they graduate.

Offline Zed_Noir

• Canada
  • Liked: 1811
  • Likes Given: 1302
« Reply #57 on: 08/20/2023 05:54 am »
<snip>
I'm interested to see how ESA gives flights to rookies versus experienced astronauts once they graduate.
ESA is sending up rookie Astronauts in short duration Axiom Crew Dragon flights to the ISS.

Offline vp.

• France
« Reply #58 on: 08/20/2023 07:56 am »
 I'm interested to see how ESA gives flights to rookies versus experienced astronauts once they graduate.

ESA had announced that it would offer a second flight opportunity for each astronaut in the class of 2009.
That's why I think Maurer will be next.
Then experienced astronauts will fly to Gateway.

After Maurer, it should be Adenot's turn. She is the oldest of the new class and France has a flight time deficit compared to the Italians and the Germans.

ESA is sending up rookie Astronauts in short duration Axiom Crew Dragon flights to the ISS.

These flights are funded differently.
Sweden, Poland are increasing their funding to pay for these flights.
Italy and Hungary work outside ESA.

« Reply #59 on: 08/20/2023 10:08 am »

Nick Hague might be a candidate. He his working on Starliner since August 2022 according to his Bio that had just been updated

Offline John_Marshall

• Minneapolis
« Reply #60 on: 08/20/2023 01:12 pm »

You're thinking of the reserve astronauts, not the career astronauts (ESA's terms, not mine).

Maurer was selected in 2015. I agree with you, though, about veterans going to Gateway.

Nick Hague might be a candidate. He his working on Starliner since August 2022 according to his Bio that had just been updated

Cool! I did not know that.

Online Michael Cassutt

• Regular
« Reply #61 on: 08/20/2023 04:37 pm »

Maurer on Starliner 1.

Is this the case? I've heard that the 2022 ESA career astronauts have at least a year of training, and possibly as many as two years, before they are certified. NASA's ASCANS do two years and so do Roskosmos cosmonauts.

MC

Online Michael Cassutt

• Regular
« Reply #62 on: 08/20/2023 04:43 pm »

This makes all the sense in the world (Hague returned from a two-year detail to Washington DC some months prior to Aug 2022), yet I hear he is the likely (or already in training ;) CDR for Crew-9.

MC

Offline jmt27

• Liked: 23
  • Likes Given: 26
« Reply #63 on: 08/20/2023 07:11 pm »
I think NASA wants to get all of the "turtles" (class of 2017) a spaceflight, all in succession. So with Matthew Dominick assigned to Crew-8, that leaves Jonny Kim and Zena Cardman still to fly. My money is on Kim as commander of Crew-9 (most likely in the fall of 2024) and Cardman on Starliner-1 in early 2025.

I think Kutryk could fly on either one of those. Maybe an older NASA astronaut like Stephanie Wilson or Douglas Wheelock as pilot for Crew-9.

Offline Per Olav Sanner

• Norway
  • Liked: 1
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #64 on: 08/20/2023 07:42 pm »

Maurer on Starliner 1.

Is this the case? I've heard that the 2022 ESA career astronauts have at least a year of training, and possibly as many as two years, before they are certified. NASA's ASCANS do two years and so do Roskosmos cosmonauts.

MC

Based on available information from ESA, basic training for the new ESA career astronauts started in April 2023 and will last for one year, followed by advanced training for another year. After that, they will be eligible for mission specific training, which usually takes 18-24 months. This means that the second half of 2026 would be the earliest opportunity for them to fly an ISS increment. On June 16th I conducted a telephone interview with Dr. David Parker, director of human and robotic exploration at ESA. Dr. Parker said that the next ESA incremement after Andreas Mogensen's upcoming flight will be in 2026, which fits with the training timeline. He stated that the 2022 class will cover ESA's need for ISS astronauts for the rest of the station's lifetime and that the already flown astronauts will prepare for Artemis flights.
« Last Edit: 08/20/2023 07:53 pm by Per Olav Sanner »

Offline TALsite

• Spain
  • Liked: 114
  • Likes Given: 34
« Reply #65 on: 08/20/2023 08:31 pm »

ESA had announced that it would offer a second flight opportunity for each astronaut in the class of 2009.

After Maurer, it should be Adenot's turn. She is the oldest of the new class and France has a flight time deficit compared to the Italians and the Germans.
Gerst and Cristoforetti are involved in geological training, so probably they are focused on Artemis flights.  Maybe also Pesquet, third of the 3-BIG ESA countries.
https://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=48796.msg2504553#msg2504553

Based on available information from ESA, basic training for the new ESA career astronauts started in April 2023 and will last for one year, followed by advanced training for another year. After that, they will be eligible for mission specific training, which usually takes 18-24 months. This means that the second half of 2026 would be the earliest opportunity for them to fly an ISS increment. On June 16th I conducted a telephone interview with Dr. David Parker, director of human and robotic exploration at ESA. Dr. Parker said that the next ESA incremement after Andreas Mogensen's upcoming flight will be in 2026, which fits with the training timeline. He stated that the 2022 class will cover ESA's need for ISS astronauts for the rest of the station's lifetime and that the already flown astronauts will prepare for Artemis flights.
I agree with your training timeline.

So if ESA need to fill an ISS spot, prior to the ASCANs availibity, I think Maurer with only one spaceflight is the best placed.

With the ASCANs, yes, age (see my attached pic) usually is a factor that sometimes we can see is used to assign astronauts to a flight, but I think (and desire as Spaniard) that the first flight of the group will go to Pablo Alvarez.  Pedro Duque was involved in advanced training (i.e. CAVES) for a flight (although not confirmed) years ago, but suddenly he became Science Minister of Spain, loosing his flight.  And money, IMO, is a real factor to selections too.

For the pic, based on my data, "Days ago" means days from their last space return
« Last Edit: 08/20/2023 08:35 pm by TALsite »

Offline John_Marshall

• Minneapolis
« Reply #66 on: 08/20/2023 10:24 pm »
This makes all the sense in the world (Hague returned from a two-year detail to Washington DC some months prior to Aug 2022), yet I hear he is the likely (or already in training ;) CDR for Crew-9.

Wouldn't that put him on Dragon, though? Or are you saying he might fly on a different flight than the rumors say?

(snipped). This means that the second half of 2026 would be the earliest opportunity for them to fly an ISS increment. On June 16th I conducted a telephone interview with Dr. David Parker, director of human and robotic exploration at ESA. Dr. Parker said that the next ESA incremement after Andreas Mogensen's upcoming flight will be in 2026, which fits with the training timeline. He stated that the 2022 class will cover ESA's need for ISS astronauts for the rest of the station's lifetime and that the already flown astronauts will prepare for Artemis flights.

Interesting! I'm surprised it's that long, though. That would mean either Starliner-2 or Crew-11.

Offline DwightM

• Veteran
  • Valdez, AK
  • Liked: 713
  • Likes Given: 901
« Reply #67 on: 08/21/2023 04:01 am »
Hague was the backup for Crew-6, so he's got his Dragon training.  A Hague-CDR, Yui-PLT, Cardman-MS1, Gorbunov-MS2 Crew-9 would be my guess.

Offline hektor

• Liked: 1196
  • Likes Given: 54
« Reply #68 on: 08/21/2023 12:33 pm »
Any recent update about the Nima Shahinian initiative ?
« Last Edit: 08/21/2023 12:35 pm by hektor »

Offline John_Marshall

• Minneapolis
« Reply #69 on: 08/21/2023 04:05 pm »
Hague was the backup for Crew-6, so he's got his Dragon training.

I did not know that. Cool!

Offline vp.

• France
« Reply #70 on: 08/21/2023 04:50 pm »
I thought Crew-6's back-up was Crew-7 ???

Offline John_Marshall

• Minneapolis
« Reply #71 on: 08/21/2023 05:12 pm »
I thought Crew-6's back-up was Crew-7 ???

Fedyayev's backup was Borisov, but I don't think it carried over for any of the others.

Offline davidrobertson

• Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #72 on: 08/21/2023 06:20 pm »
Hague was the backup for Crew-6, so he's got his Dragon training.  A Hague-CDR, Yui-PLT, Cardman-MS1, Gorbunov-MS2 Crew-9 would be my guess.

It`s great!
« Last Edit: 08/23/2023 08:11 am by davidrobertson »

Offline Ben E

« Reply #73 on: 08/21/2023 11:00 pm »
I didn't know Hague was Crew-6 backup CDR.

Offline DwightM

• Veteran
  • Valdez, AK
« Reply #74 on: 08/22/2023 02:28 am »
I suppose backup was the incorrect term.  There are astros who are with a crew in a support type capacity like Barron to Crew-3 (then Wilson when Barron was assigned), Cardman for Crew-5 and Hague for Crew-6.  I'm not suggesting it directly leads to an assignment but rather that astronaut gains training experience/exposure to Dragon.

Online Michael Cassutt

• Regular
« Reply #75 on: 08/22/2023 02:55 am »
I suppose backup was the incorrect term.  There are astros who are with a crew in a support type capacity like Barron to Crew-3 (then Wilson when Barron was assigned), Cardman for Crew-5 and Hague for Crew-6.  I'm not suggesting it directly leads to an assignment but rather that astronaut gains training experience/exposure to Dragon.

I had the same question as Ben, but this is a good answer. Yes, NASA assigns a CSA, Crew Support Astronaut, to each mission.

MC

Offline John2375

• Regular
  • Liked: 9
« Reply #76 on: 09/15/2023 05:37 pm »
Totally off-topic but I was killing some time earlier.. I think this is accurate:
The most space shuttle landings made by CDRs:

5: Jim Wetherbee STS-52,63,86,102,113
4: Hoot Gibson STS-61C,27,47,71
3: Vance Brand STS-5,41B,35
3: Bob Crippen STS-7,41C,41G
3: Dan Bradenstein: STS-51G,32,49
3: Dave Walker STS-30,53,69
3: Dick Richards STS-41,50,64
3: John Casper STS-54,62,77
3: Ken Cockrell STS-80,98,111
3: Jim Halsell STS-83,94,101
3: Curt Brown STS-85,95,103
3: Steve Lindsey STS-104,121,133

Eileen Collins STS-93,114 Brent Jett STS-97,115: only CDRs with multiple night landings

Offline John_Marshall

• Minneapolis
« Reply #77 on: 09/19/2023 04:11 am »
Has there been any recent news about the upcoming Soyuz flight(s) specifically for tourists, like MS-20 was? I know that at least one more was rumored over the next few years. Mods, feel free to move if this is not the right thread.

Offline Hog

• Woodstock
« Reply #78 on: 09/20/2023 08:33 pm »
I think NASA wants to get all of the "turtles" (class of 2017) a spaceflight, all in succession. So with Matthew Dominick assigned to Crew-8, that leaves Jonny Kim and Zena Cardman still to fly. My money is on Kim as commander of Crew-9 (most likely in the fall of 2024) and Cardman on Starliner-1 in early 2025.

I think Kutryk could fly on either one of those. Maybe an older NASA astronaut like Stephanie Wilson or Douglas Wheelock as pilot for Crew-9.
emphasis mine

They still have astronauts from the 2009 Class "the Chumps" that still need to fly.  At least they both finally have assignments now.
1) Jeanette Epps after being given an ISS rotation Exp. 56/57, then re-assigned to Starliner-1, then re-assigned to Dragon-Crew-8.
2) Jeremy Hansen Artemis-2.
Paul

« Reply #79 on: 10/02/2023 08:59 am »
Look like Crew-9 will be :

CDR :
PLT : Zena Cardman
MS-1 : Kimiya Yui
MS-2 : Aleksandr Gorbunov

But does somebody have inside for the CDR ? Their is rumors of either Bresnik, Wheelock or Kim

Offline David27

• UK
  • Liked: 7
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #80 on: 10/02/2023 11:53 am »
Cardman, Yui and Gorbunov are confirmed, even if not yet acknowledged by NASA.

In view of Mogensen's current assignment, I am wondering whether Yui could be pilot.

I also thought that Canada was due an ISS slot this year?

Offline John_Marshall

• Minneapolis
« Reply #81 on: 10/02/2023 04:50 pm »
But does somebody have inside for the CDR ? Their is rumors of either Bresnik, Wheelock or Kim

I have no inside news, but I had wondered if Anne McClain would soon be getting a second long-duration flight when she was not assigned to Artemis II.

In view of Mogensen's current assignment, I am wondering whether Yui could be pilot.

I had wondered that myself, especially because he was a test pilot.

I also thought that Canada was due an ISS slot this year?

I thought so as well, but I think that may have been when Furukawa was penciled in for Crew-6, not Al-Neyadi. It looks like the Canadian seat would be PCM-1.

« Reply #82 on: 10/02/2023 08:59 pm »
Just setting it here since I couldn't find any English-language sources: the Brazilian neuroscientist Alysson Muotri was chosen for a 10-day mission to the ISS (employed and financed by the University of California) in November 2024 and as I understand, this can only mean an Axiom mission. Has anyone seen his name cited or rumored? Thanks!

Sources: gov.br and g1.com, among others.
« Last Edit: 10/03/2023 10:42 am by ErickSoares3 »

Offline TJL

• Extreme Veteran
  • Liked: 94
  • Likes Given: 160
« Reply #83 on: 10/03/2023 12:55 am »

CDR :

No inside info but I think Nick Hague is in line to command Crew-9.

Offline John_Marshall

• Minneapolis
« Reply #84 on: 10/03/2023 02:48 am »

It would be great to see him fly again, but I thought he was working on Starliner, and it was my understanding that astronauts didn't cross-train (except Mann, Cassada, and then Epps by necessity to get the rookies opportunities).

Offline DwightM

• Veteran
  • Valdez, AK
« Reply #85 on: 10/03/2023 03:12 am »

CDR :

See post #63 of this thread.

Offline John_Marshall

• Minneapolis
« Reply #86 on: 10/03/2023 08:40 pm »

I'm confused. Post 63 is by jmt27 on August 20th, regarding getting the class of 2017 spaceflights. Is it possible that it was post 63 before some speculation posts were deleted but a different post number now?

Offline DwightM

• Veteran
  • Valdez, AK
« Reply #87 on: 10/04/2023 02:25 am »

I'm confused. Post 63 is by jmt27 on August 20th, regarding getting the class of 2017 spaceflights. Is it possible that it was post 63 before some speculation posts were deleted but a different post number now?

MC

Offline David27

• UK
« Reply #88 on: 11/14/2023 11:30 pm »
JAXA announcement re: postponement of Kimiya Yui's flight.

Just a thought; could this be to accommodate an ISRO astronaut?

The secrecy surrounding this crew seems tighter than usual. Yui has been tweeting regular updates about his training, but no pics.

Offline John_Marshall

• Minneapolis
« Reply #89 on: 11/15/2023 12:44 am »
Just a thought; could this be to accommodate an ISRO astronaut?

The secrecy surrounding this crew seems tighter than usual. Yui has been tweeting regular updates about his training, but no pics.

It does, now that you mention it. That sounds plausible, but I thought the Indian astronaut would fly on an Axiom flight.

Offline David27

• UK
« Reply #90 on: 11/15/2023 10:14 am »
Axiom seemed the obvious route when this was announced. However, I haven't seen anything that definitely rules out an expedition-length stay. I did see that ISRO were considering the pros and cons of assigning existing Gaganyaan candidates as opposed to selecting new candidates;

useful flight experience for Gaganyaan vs pulling candidates away from Gaganyaan-specific training.

Taking the previous training experience of the four Gaganyaan candidates into consideration, then a late-summer 2024 expedition launch could be feasible. If that were to be the case, then we should probably hear soon.

Offline vp.

• France
« Reply #91 on: 11/22/2023 04:26 pm »
Why wasn't crew 9 announced?
Is there a problem?

Offline John_Marshall

• Minneapolis
« Reply #92 on: 11/22/2023 05:03 pm »
Why wasn't crew 9 announced?

Today's announcement was only Canadian, and there won't be a Canadian on Crew-9.

Offline vp.

• France
« Reply #93 on: 11/22/2023 06:46 pm »
Crew-9 is scheduled to take off in 9 months.
Knowing that it takes 18 months of training.
The crew must be in training.

Online Michael Cassutt

• Regular
« Reply #94 on: 11/22/2023 08:49 pm »

Yes, and has been for many months. NASA only announced Crew-7 in late March 2023, six months prior to the scheduled launch. I would expect official word on Crew-9 anytime between December 1 and the end of February.

Why NASA delays these things I couldn't tell you.

Michael Cassutt

Offline John_Marshall

• Minneapolis
« Reply #95 on: 11/22/2023 10:59 pm »

I thought it took less time than that, but I may be confusing the mission specialists with the commander and pilot. For some reason, the figure I had in mind was more like a year, but we're still inside the window.

Offline Ben E

« Reply #96 on: 11/22/2023 11:40 pm »
Interesting, too, that the astronauts rumoured to be on Crew-9 are silent on X. No training images or anything of note. Same goes for Pettit, too, who we know is deep in Soyuz training as Caldwell-Dyson's backup. He regularly shares Earth imagery, but no imagery of his current training.

Does NASA management require them to keep their social media presence silent until formal assignments are made?
« Last Edit: 11/22/2023 11:41 pm by Ben E »

« Reply #97 on: 11/29/2023 05:18 pm »
On the last picture I think it's Aleksandr Gorbunov (putting the COMM-CAP to Hague). Might predict Crew-9 with :

CDR : Nick Hague
MS-1 : Indian

https://x.com/NASA_Johnson/status/1729921442496606446?s=20

Offline vp.

• France
« Reply #98 on: 11/29/2023 06:42 pm »
I think it is very unlikely that the remaining Crew-9 slot will go to an Indian.
The place would probably go to Yui.
For reasons we don't know: problems with an experiment, medical problems or simply political problems, Yui's flight was delayed.
As there is little time left to prepare, an experienced astroanute is required. Probably an American.

Offline Ben E

« Reply #99 on: 11/29/2023 06:42 pm »
Bill Nelson's visit to India (and UAE) seems rather timely, too.

Offline Rian

« Reply #100 on: 11/29/2023 09:05 pm »
I think it is very unlikely that the remaining Crew-9 slot will go to an Indian.
For reasons we don't know: problems with an experiment, medical problems or simply political problems, Yui's flight was delayed.
As there is little time left to prepare, an experienced astroanute is required. Probably an American.

India mentioned flying an astronaut to the ISS in 2024 though, so seems they'd do it despite having the ample time to train.

Online Michael Cassutt

• Regular
« Reply #101 on: 11/29/2023 09:44 pm »

India mentioned flying an astronaut to the ISS in 2024 though, so seems they'd do it despite having the ample time to train.

For a visiting mission of a dozen days or so, yes, but I don't see the International Partners approving a long-duration crew member who only has a few months training, if that. India has four astronauts -- has anyone heard of one or two of them being at JSC any time recently? I guess they could have trained in secret, but that seems unlikely, given NASA's relative openness.

I suspect that vp is right, that the missing MS will be a NASA astronaut:  ESA doesn't seem to have anyone aimed at Crew-9, Canada is on Starliner-1 (their long-planned year 2024 mission slipping a bit) and JAXA has Yui on Starliner-1 and Onishi "in 2025", which suggests Crew-10.

I suppose another UAE flight might be possible for 9, but haven't heard a word about that, either.

Michael Cassutt

Offline Rian

« Reply #102 on: 11/29/2023 09:50 pm »

For a visiting mission of a dozen days or so, yes, but I don't see the International Partners approving a long-duration crew member who only has a few months training, if that. India has four astronauts -- has anyone heard of one or two of them being at JSC any time recently? I guess they could have trained in secret, but that seems unlikely, given NASA's relative openness.

I suspect that vp is right, that the missing MS will be a NASA astronaut:  ESA doesn't seem to have anyone aimed at Crew-9, Canada is on Starliner-1 (their long-planned year 2024 mission slipping a bit) and JAXA has Yui on Starliner-1 and Onishi "in 2025", which suggests Crew-10.

I suppose another UAE flight might be possible for 9, but haven't heard a word about that, either.

Michael Cassutt

I agree, seems like Axiom-4 would be their best bet if they're adamant about 2024. If the third seat does indeed go to a NASA Astronaut I do wonder who as they've been quite hidden recently about upcoming trainings. Maybe someone who has already flown on dragon before but both Shannon Walker and Megan McArthur don't "fit" based on their current positions (Shannon Walker being Deputy Chief Astronaut and Megan saying iirc that Crew-2 would be her last flight).
Anyways would love to hear others input.

Offline John_Marshall

• Minneapolis
« Reply #103 on: 11/29/2023 10:17 pm »
Maybe someone who has already flown on dragon before but both Shannon Walker and Megan McArthur don't "fit" based on their current positions (Shannon Walker being Deputy Chief Astronaut and Megan saying iirc that Crew-2 would be her last flight).
Anyways would love to hear others input.

The other thing about Megan McArthur is that it would be strange for her to be demoted from pilot to mission specialist (assuming, of course, that Zena Cardman takes the pilot's seat).

Offline dcfowler1

« Reply #104 on: 11/30/2023 05:03 am »
I don't think it's being "demoted."

I think Crew Dragon seat designations will be very fluid for repeat flyers.

Offline vp.

• France
« Reply #105 on: 11/30/2023 05:43 am »
... that the missing MS will be a NASA astronaut:  ESA doesn't seem to have anyone aimed at Crew-9, Canada is on Starliner-1 (their long-planned year 2024 mission slipping a bit) and JAXA has Yui on Starliner-1 and Onishi "in 2025", which suggests Crew-10.

Michael Cassutt

For ESA, Matthias Maurer having flown on Crew-3, he could quickly join Crew-9.

He is the only one from the 2009 class (even if we only discovered him in 2017) not to have made 2 flights. The ESA had announced that it would offer 2 flights to all these astronauts.

Offline John_Marshall

• Minneapolis
« Reply #106 on: 11/30/2023 04:03 pm »
I think Crew Dragon seat designations will be very fluid for repeat flyers.

I would agree with you re mission specialist to pilot or mission specialist to commander or pilot to commander, but I can't see it here. The pilot has a role in helping monitor and fly the ship that the mission specialists don't.

For ESA, Matthias Maurer having flown on Crew-3, he could quickly join Crew-9.

He is the only one from the 2009 class (even if we only discovered him in 2017) not to have made 2 flights. The ESA had announced that it would offer 2 flights to all these astronauts.

I hadn't thought of him! I still haven't figured out the 2009 class discovered in 2017 thing, but that's a whole different story. I'm pretty sure I saw, however, that ESA isn't expecting a seat until 2025. Unless the Crew-9 international astronaut change moves it to 2026, it sounds like Crew-10 may look like Crew-7 in terms of nationalities.

Offline Ben E

« Reply #107 on: 11/30/2023 05:31 pm »
My understanding is that these aren't like what we saw with Shuttle CDR/PLT and MS arrangements. Rendezvous and docking is autonomous, the crew doesn't really require test piloting credentials and Inspiration4 has shown that even non-professional astronauts can fly in all three positions of seniority (CDR, PLT and MS) with only a few months of training. Some in the PLT seat are experienced pilots (Shoffner), others (Proctor) aren't.

Not to denigrate any of them, but I wonder if it really matters if someone is in a PLT seat or an MS seat and whether or not they might fly in a different seat on another mission? Yes, the PLT may fulfil a monitoring role in the spacecraft to a degree, but certainly not to the level that a Shuttle-era PLT did.

Offline TALsite

• Spain
  • Liked: 114
  • Likes Given: 34
« Reply #108 on: 01/27/2024 05:36 pm »
Cross post about Crew-9 assignments:

There are a few rumours swirling around (including a very surprising possible candidate for CDR), but let's wait and see...

Maybe one woman pilot from the Navy, from the last NASA 23 group?

The NASA-23, ďthe fliesĒ group was selected more than two years ago.
Do we know when will they finish their ascan training?

Online Michael Cassutt

• Regular
« Reply #109 on: 01/27/2024 05:51 pm »
Cross post about Crew-9 assignments:

There are a few rumours swirling around (including a very surprising possible candidate for CDR), but let's wait and see...

Maybe one woman pilot from the Navy, from the last NASA 23 group?

The NASA-23, ďthe fliesĒ group was selected more than two years ago.
Do we know when will they finish their ascan training?

They began ASCAN training in January 2022 so should be reaching the end of the two-year program now, after having been in technical assignments for at least the last six months. So I would expect one to be assigned soon, perhaps Crew-10 or so . . . but it's difficult to imagine a newly-certified astronaut flying on Crew-9 . . . an ISS mission requires 2-2.5 years of training. And Crew 9 has been in existence for the better part of a year . . . just not announced.

Also, while we have evidence that Cardman from NASA-22 is on Crew-9, Kim remains unassigned as far as I know. Can't see the agency assigning a 23 before all 22s are in the flow.

Michael Cassutt
« Last Edit: 01/27/2024 05:55 pm by Michael Cassutt »

Offline Delta7

• Liked: 22
« Reply #110 on: 01/28/2024 07:17 pm »
Recently I saw a social media post that showed Zena Cardman and Stephanie Wilson training together. Could the latter be the ďsurprise announcementĒ?

Offline John_Marshall

• Minneapolis
« Reply #111 on: 01/28/2024 08:37 pm »
Recently I saw a social media post that showed Zena Cardman and Stephanie Wilson training together. Could the latter be the ďsurprise announcementĒ?

Interesting! I had wondered about Wilson, too. There have also been pictures of Cardman in EVA training with Nick Hague, so unless that was unconnected, I wonder if that means it will be Hague-Cardman-Wilson-Gorbunov.

Offline vp.

• France
« Reply #112 on: 01/29/2024 11:38 am »
There would be nothing surprising to see Wilson on Crew-9 since she was Marshburn's backup on Crew-3.
Even though she hasn't flown since STS-131!

Offline hektor

« Reply #113 on: 01/29/2024 02:30 pm »
MS-1 : Stephanie Wilson

???

Offline John_Marshall

• Minneapolis
« Reply #114 on: 01/29/2024 05:00 pm »
There would be nothing surprising to see Wilson on Crew-9 since she was Marshburn's backup on Crew-3.

It wouldn't be all that surprising to me if she flew as a mission specialist--not any more surprising than when they bring back any of the other older astronauts who hasn't flown in a while. What would surprise me was if she were assigned as CDR.

MS-1 : Stephanie Wilson

I could see that, especially if Kim doesn't fly this time.

Offline vp.

• France
« Reply #115 on: 01/29/2024 06:01 pm »
What would surprise me was if she were assigned as CDR.

Why?
She is the most experienced NASA astronaut with Fincke and Pettit.
« Last Edit: 01/29/2024 06:03 pm by vp. »

Offline John_Marshall

• Minneapolis
« Reply #116 on: 01/29/2024 06:14 pm »
Why?
She is the most experienced NASA astronaut with Fincke and Pettit.

Two reasons. Secondarily, I just looked, and her NASA bio just confirmed that she backed up the Crew-3 mission specialists, not the commander and pilot. Primarily, other than Kjell Lindgren, all the Dragon CDRs to date have had a background in either piloting or airplane testing.

Offline Zed_Noir

• Canada
« Reply #117 on: 01/30/2024 01:08 am »

It wouldn't be all that surprising to me if she flew as a mission specialist--not any more surprising than when they bring back any of the other older astronauts who hasn't flown in a while.
<snip>

Will pointed out that Wilson is approaching retirement. So if she doesn't fly soon, there might not be another opportunity later.

Offline Ben E

« Reply #118 on: 01/30/2024 06:51 am »
At the risk of going off on a tangent (sorry!), there seem to be several astronauts (Pettit, Wilson, Barratt, Wheelock perhaps) who are re-emerging after more than a decade to fly again, some of them approaching or having passed 60 years old.

It was my understanding that until recently 60 was the cut-off point (at least at the point of assignment) for NASA astronauts and I think USOS partner astronauts too. Presumably, this has now changed, but can anyone shed any light on when this process took place? It's great to see the age glass ceiling being broken by Barratt and (hopefully) Pettit too.

Offline John_Marshall

• Minneapolis
« Reply #119 on: 01/30/2024 04:19 pm »
At the risk of going off on a tangent (sorry!), there seem to be several astronauts (Pettit, Wilson, Barratt, Wheelock perhaps) who are re-emerging after more than a decade to fly again, some of them approaching or having passed 60 years old.

It was my understanding that until recently 60 was the cut-off point (at least at the point of assignment) for NASA astronauts and I think USOS partner astronauts too. Presumably, this has now changed, but can anyone shed any light on when this process took place? It's great to see the age glass ceiling being broken by Barratt and (hopefully) Pettit too.

I'd be interested in hearing this, too! For a long time, I can only think of three US or USOS astronauts who were over 60 when they launched on their final flight: Story Musgrave on his last shuttle flight, Paolo Nespoli on Expedition 52/53, and Tom Marshburn on Crew-3.

Offline vp.

• France
« Reply #120 on: 01/30/2024 05:47 pm »
A surprise would be to name the crew Artemis II on Crew-9, for team cohesion.  ;D

Offline Zed_Noir

• Canada
« Reply #121 on: 01/31/2024 04:31 am »

I'd be interested in hearing this, too! For a long time, I can only think of three US or USOS astronauts who were over 60 when they launched on their final flight: Story Musgrave on his last shuttle flight, Paolo Nespoli on Expedition 52/53, and Tom Marshburn on Crew-3.
You missed Senator John Glenn on STS-95.

Offline hektor

« Reply #122 on: 01/31/2024 09:34 am »
Not NASA astronauts, but there have been some pretty old guys on the first two Axiom missions. And MLA who is flying right now is 65.
« Last Edit: 01/31/2024 09:35 am by hektor »

Offline John_Marshall

• Minneapolis
« Reply #123 on: 01/31/2024 04:00 pm »
You missed Senator John Glenn on STS-95.

I was only thinking of active-duty astronauts, but you're still quite right--there's another example.

Offline Delta7

• Liked: 22
« Reply #124 on: 01/31/2024 09:42 pm »
Jonny Kim is now the only unflown/unassigned member of the 2017 astronaut class. I wonder if heíll be the backup to Don Pettit for Soyuz MS-26.

Offline TJL

• Extreme Veteran
  • Liked: 94
  • Likes Given: 160
« Reply #125 on: 02/01/2024 11:03 pm »
Jonny Kim is now the only unflown/unassigned member of the 2017 astronaut class. I wonder if heíll be the backup to Don Pettit for Soyuz MS-26.
Possibly MS on SpaceX Crew-10.
« Last Edit: 02/01/2024 11:04 pm by TJL »

Online Michael Cassutt

• Regular
« Reply #126 on: 02/01/2024 11:19 pm »

Or commander ;) Or MS on Starliner-2.

Michael Cassutt

Offline John_Marshall

• Minneapolis
« Reply #127 on: 02/02/2024 12:07 am »

I'm not sure that would work, since it would seem like Crew-10 would likely have two international astronauts (like Crew-2 and Crew-7) since Crew-8 and Crew-9 have none.

Or commander ;) Or MS on Starliner-2.

I think the latter would be dependent on not having a Russian on Starliner-2, but good point.

Offline Ben E

« Reply #128 on: 02/02/2024 05:07 am »
Isn't there still one open MS seat on Starliner-1? Could that go to Kim? Or is that definitely now taken by Yui?

CDR: Tingle
PLT: Fincke
MS: Kutryk
MS: ??

Offline John_Marshall

• Minneapolis
« Reply #129 on: 02/02/2024 12:46 pm »
Isn't there still one open MS seat on Starliner-1? Could that go to Kim? Or is that definitely now taken by Yui?

CDR: Tingle
PLT: Fincke
MS: Kutryk
MS: ??

Officially, there is one seat open, but I think Yui is "unofficially official," since him on USCV-10 (presumably Starliner-1) and Onishi on USCV-11 (presumably Crew-10) seems to be the only way to make sense of the dates given when Yui's flight was delayed.

Offline Ben E

« Reply #130 on: 02/02/2024 06:54 pm »
Ah, thanks. I wouldn't be surprised if Crew-10/USCV-11 in the summer of 2025 "might" also see the first assignments of the 2021 astros too.

Offline John_Marshall

• Minneapolis
« Reply #131 on: 02/02/2024 11:41 pm »
Ah, thanks. I wouldn't be surprised if Crew-10/USCV-11 in the summer of 2025 "might" also see the first assignments of the 2021 astros too.

Sure! That would not surprise me, possibly excepting if it were to be a two-international-partner flight (like Crew-7) given the delay to Onishi's flight and the next European seat.

Offline Ben E

« Reply #132 on: 02/03/2024 07:27 pm »
If Starliner-1 doesn't include a cosmonaut (i.e. Tingle, Fincke, Kutryk and Yui), surely the Soyuz MS-26 in spring 2025 will have three cosmonauts and no NASA person aboard? I can't see the Russians having only two of their people aboard, especially now that Nauka is up and running.

Online DanClemmensen

• Earth (currently)
  • Liked: 4388
  • Likes Given: 1790
« Reply #133 on: 02/03/2024 07:40 pm »
If Starliner-1 doesn't include a cosmonaut (i.e. Tingle, Fincke, Kutryk and Yui), surely the Soyuz MS-26 in spring 2025 will have three cosmonauts and no NASA person aboard? I can't see the Russians having only two of their people aboard, especially now that Nauka is up and running.
No inside info, only what Wikipedia tells me.
   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commercial_Crew_Program
has this reference:
   https://tass.com/science/1489645
Which is (sort of) an indication that Starliner-1 is too soon, and Roscosmos wants to see a few more flights before putting cosmonauts on Starliner. The existing agreement covers Crew Dragon, not Starliner:
   https://tass.com/science/1489643
There were no cosmonauts on Crew Dragon prior to Crew-5.

Offline John_Marshall

• Minneapolis
« Reply #134 on: 02/03/2024 09:04 pm »

I would think so, except that I thought I had seen that Russia was throwing in us an extra seat since Loral O'Hara got delayed, to keep the seats for seats trade instead of having Rubio count double. If so, a Soyuz associated with Starliner would be a natural place. Good point, though, re Nauka.

True. It is my understanding that part of the delay, however, was Dmitri Rogozin being difficult and that another part was getting things off the ground with our government, given rules about collaboration with Russia (or something like that). It also seems instructive to note that Starliner has had one more unmanned flight than Dragon before the manned flights start. If you factor those in, something like Starliner-2 or Starliner-3 for starting Starliner cross-flights would make sense.

Online DanClemmensen

• Earth (currently)
  • Liked: 4388
  • Likes Given: 1790
« Reply #135 on: 02/03/2024 09:51 pm »
True. It is my understanding that part of the delay, however, was Dmitri Rogozin being difficult and that another part was getting things off the ground with our government, given rules about collaboration with Russia (or something like that). It also seems instructive to note that Starliner has had one more unmanned flight than Dragon before the manned flights start. If you factor those in, something like Starliner-2 or Starliner-3 for starting Starliner cross-flights would make sense.
Somehow I'm having difficulty seeing Starliner OFT-1 as a positive.

Offline John_Marshall

• Minneapolis
« Reply #136 on: 02/03/2024 09:57 pm »
Somehow I'm having difficulty seeing Starliner OFT-1 as a positive.

You do have a point there.

Offline John_Marshall

• Minneapolis
« Reply #137 on: 02/06/2024 09:42 pm »
Does anyone know whether Spring 2025 (MS-27, since Starliner-1 is full--assuming it flies ahead of Crew-10) would provide enough time for the 2021 class to train for a flight, or is Fall 2025 (Crew-10 and MS-28) more likely to be their first chance to debut?

Online Michael Cassutt

• Regular
« Reply #138 on: 02/07/2024 06:05 pm »
Does anyone know whether Spring 2025 (MS-27, since Starliner-1 is full--assuming it flies ahead of Crew-10) would provide enough time for the 2021 class to train for a flight, or is Fall 2025 (Crew-10 and MS-28) more likely to be their first chance to debut?

No hard information here but I doubt that the soon-to-be-certified 2021 astronauts will be eligible for Crew-10. An ISS assignment usually requires 2 to 2.5 years of mission-specific training. The 2021s would have had technical assignments since summer 2023 -- capcom, EVA/RBO, Artemis development and even ISS ops -- but even with an ISS-related gig wouldn't be ready for a 6-month increment with 18 months of training.

On the other hand, stranger things have happened. Mike Hopkins was assigned to an ISS crew in 2011 before he was formally certified as an astronaut. (Whitson, chief astronaut, was desperate.) But it was 2.5 years before he launched.

Also, you still have a number of astronaut available for Crew-10, including unflown Kim. I would bet a bit of cash that those astronauts, the two US folks plus Onishi, are already assigned and training.

I would absolutely expect a 2021 to be in line for Crew-11 or Starliner-2.

Michael Cassutt
« Last Edit: 02/07/2024 06:08 pm by Michael Cassutt »

Offline John_Marshall

• Minneapolis
« Reply #139 on: 02/07/2024 06:36 pm »
Thank you! Makes sense to me! I wonder if this means that the NASA astronaut on MS-28 will be a veteran, since Kim is the only qualified rookie now that Zena Cardman has an assignment.

I had not made the connection re Mike Hopkins--wow. Unless it's private information, any idea why Whitson was so desperate then?

I thought I remembered some Soyuz FE2s launching one year after assignment, but I think at least some of those may have been veterans, and I've gotten the idea that assignments are often really delayed relative to when training starts. Interestingly, however, Crew-3 launched a couple months short of two years after Raja Chari officially became an astronaut.
« Last Edit: 02/07/2024 06:53 pm by John_Marshall »

Online Michael Cassutt

• Regular
« Reply #140 on: 02/08/2024 06:29 pm »
Thank you! Makes sense to me! I wonder if this means that the NASA astronaut on MS-28 will be a veteran, since Kim is the only qualified rookie now that Zena Cardman has an assignment.

I had not made the connection re Mike Hopkins--wow. Unless it's private information, any idea why Whitson was so desperate then?

I thought I remembered some Soyuz FE2s launching one year after assignment, but I think at least some of those may have been veterans, and I've gotten the idea that assignments are often really delayed relative to when training starts. Interestingly, however, Crew-3 launched a couple months short of two years after Raja Chari officially became an astronaut.

This answer will be in two parts. It's entirely possible that the ISS training flow has shrunk from 2.5 years to 2 years to, well, 22 months.

Also, I'm not sure how widely this is known, but Kjell Lindgren was supposed to command Crew-2 but had to step aside temporarily for a medical issue. Meaning that Kimbrough moved to the left from Crew-3, opening up a command spot for Chari around December 2020, if not a few weeks earlier. Lindgren, of course, returned to the ISS flow for Crew-4.

But that whole game of musical-medical chairs may explain Chari on Crew-3 at that time.

MC

Offline Ben E

« Reply #141 on: 02/08/2024 06:32 pm »
Personally, I think McClain makes sense as Pettit's backup, potentially rotating into Soyuz MS-27 if that mission does indeed get a U.S. seat. She's already well-versed in Soyuz systems both in a backup and prime capacity.

Online Michael Cassutt

• Regular
« Reply #142 on: 02/08/2024 06:42 pm »

Part II:

Peggy Whitson became chief astronaut in October 2009 at a time when the end of the Shuttle program was in sight, and most if not all STS crews had been assigned. Her mission was to reconfigure the astronaut office for Soyuz-ISS ops for the next six, or as it turned out, ten years, until Commercial Crew went online.

The word to the astronaut corps was this: you're flying Soyuz for long-duration missions. If you can't or won't do that, time for a job change. Some astronauts left the office for that reason . . . others (I think Massimino was one) were too tall to qualify for a Soyuz assignment.

The real tentpole in Soyuz-ISS training then became Russian language skill. A lot of veteran astronauts stayed unassigned for years because they lagged at this.

Another complicator was the existence of two different Soyuz training assignments, one for flight engineer, one for FE2. The right seat FE job required a certain amount of operational training or skill on the part of the NASA astronaut, in addition to superior Russian language fluency.

In February 2011 or so, when I had the chance to actually talk with Whitson about this, she said that she had one possible FE and three possible FE2 she could assign.

Hopkins was one of the FE2s and was assigned to the ISS mission scheduled to commence fall 2013. Mastracchio was apparently the FE, who got the next open right seat slot.

MC

Offline John_Marshall

• Minneapolis
« Reply #143 on: 02/08/2024 11:44 pm »
Also, I'm not sure how widely this is known, but Kjell Lindgren was supposed to command Crew-2 but had to step aside temporarily for a medical issue. Meaning that Kimbrough moved to the left from Crew-3, opening up a command spot for Chari around December 2020, if not a few weeks earlier. Lindgren, of course, returned to the ISS flow for Crew-4.

You had mentioned Lindgren previously in a discussion of why he was CDR and a fighter pilot was PLT, but you had not mentioned where Kimbrough was originally slated to fly.

Personally, I think McClain makes sense as Pettit's backup, potentially rotating into Soyuz MS-27 if that mission does indeed get a U.S. seat. She's already well-versed in Soyuz systems both in a backup and prime capacity.

Makes sense! I think she'll either back him up or fly on Crew-10.

The real tentpole in Soyuz-ISS training then became Russian language skill. A lot of veteran astronauts stayed unassigned for years because they lagged at this.

Another complicator was the existence of two different Soyuz training assignments, one for flight engineer, one for FE2. The right seat FE job required a certain amount of operational training or skill on the part of the NASA astronaut, in addition to superior Russian language fluency.

In February 2011 or so, when I had the chance to actually talk with Whitson about this, she said that she had one possible FE and three possible FE2 she could assign.

Hopkins was one of the FE2s and was assigned to the ISS mission scheduled to commence fall 2013. Mastracchio was apparently the FE, who got the next open right seat slot.

Interesting! I forgot the office was shorthanded for a while, and I wasn't thinking about the effect of the Russian-language training. I was surprised when Mastracchio got the Soyuz left-seater assignment over Wakata, but that makes sense.

Offline Ben E

« Reply #144 on: 02/09/2024 05:11 am »
Interesting that a Lindgren-led Crew-2 would have positioned him as CDR and McArthur, a more senior astro, as PLT.

Understandable perhaps if Lindgren was military, but both civilians. Then again, after backing up DM-2, I suppose it made sense. Also, perhaps McArthur didn't want a command.

As regards the "drought" of available astronauts after Shuttle retirement, I think both Clay Anderson and Leland Melvin were either not considered for future Soyuz seats or turned them down. I'm sure I read that in both of their books. I seem to recall something happened in Melvin's career before STS-122 that prevented him from EVA, but I can't find the reference.

« Reply #145 on: 02/09/2024 10:38 am »

There is also the possibility of Douglas Wheelock.

Because when you look to how Wiseman assigned crews, it look like he took the flown astronaut that haven't flown for while and pair them with an unflown (Crew-6/Crew-8/Crew-9 and MS-25/MS-26)

Makes sense! I think she'll either back him up or fly on Crew-10.

Because the one who will back-up Pettit on MS-26 will have the prime seat for MS-28.

And the Exp-74 might look something like :
MS-28 : Kud-Sverchkov / Zubritsky / Wheelock
Crew-10 : Kim / Onishi / ESA (maybe Adenot) / Russian (maybe Peskov)
« Last Edit: 02/09/2024 10:46 am by marcdrnl »

Offline David27

• UK
« Reply #146 on: 02/09/2024 12:46 pm »

[...] Kjell Lindgren was supposed to command Crew-2 but had to step aside temporarily for a medical issue. Meaning that Kimbrough moved to the left from Crew-3, opening up a command spot for Chari around December 2020, if not a few weeks earlier. Lindgren, of course, returned to the ISS flow for Crew-4.

But that whole game of musical-medical chairs may explain Chari on Crew-3 at that time.

MC

Thankyou Michael. As this change occurred prior to the naming of Crew-2 in Jul '20, did Lindgren still complete his backup role for Crew-1 as all sources suggest? Also, is it known if Lindgren's original Crew-2 pilot was substituted (for McArthur) in order to maintain the commander/pilot pairing?

This prompts me to raise a subject that has been puzzling me for some time: backup crew assignments. With the exception of the original DM2/Crew-1 (Lindgren) and CFT/Starliner-1 (Wilmore) press release, I am not aware of any further official NASA announcements relating to CCP backup assignments. Various unofficial sources (sometimes the astronauts themselves) have identified backups (Lindgren/Hines - Crew-3, Bowen - Crew-4, Dominick - Starliner-1 ???, the Crew-8 astronauts backing up Crew-7) and (randomly) Stephanie Wilson's NASA biography listing her as backup for Crew-3.

A similar situation applies to the Soyuz assignments. I have not found an official release identifying Don Pettit as backup for MS-25, although it has been known for some time, having been 'confirmed' on the GCTC website. The only NASA confirmation is the recent release of crew photographs on the agency's Flickr channel.

Any thoughts or clarification would be much appreciated.

Best,

David

Offline hektor

« Reply #147 on: 02/09/2024 03:52 pm »
I hear lots of rumours about various potential ESA project astronauts flying Axiom, from various ESA member states. Obviously Wandt and Uznański plans have triggered something across Europe.
« Last Edit: 02/09/2024 03:52 pm by hektor »

Online Michael Cassutt

• Regular
« Reply #148 on: 02/09/2024 06:22 pm »
Interesting that a Lindgren-led Crew-2 would have positioned him as CDR and McArthur, a more senior astro, as PLT.

Understandable perhaps if Lindgren was military, but both civilians. Then again, after backing up DM-2, I suppose it made sense. Also, perhaps McArthur didn't want a command.

As regards the "drought" of available astronauts after Shuttle retirement, I think both Clay Anderson and Leland Melvin were either not considered for future Soyuz seats or turned them down. I'm sure I read that in both of their books. I seem to recall something happened in Melvin's career before STS-122 that prevented him from EVA, but I can't find the reference.

To Ben and John above, I don't actually have evidence that Kimbrough was originally Crew-3 but the move is logical. As for the senior/junior matter, history now suggests that this is not a consideration. (And Lindgren had been working Dragon for years prior to a flight assignment._

McClain in the Soyuz flow makes sense but there was some reason -- possibly a temp medical thing -- that took her out of the flow in the first place. No word on whether that was real or if so, resolved.

Anderson wrote eloquently about the reason he was not considered for a future Soyuz seat ;) Melvin had a medical issue, as I recall, and in fact almost lost his STS mission.

MC
« Last Edit: 02/09/2024 06:23 pm by Michael Cassutt »

Online Michael Cassutt

• Regular
« Reply #149 on: 02/09/2024 06:29 pm »

[...] Kjell Lindgren was supposed to command Crew-2 but had to step aside temporarily for a medical issue. Meaning that Kimbrough moved to the left from Crew-3, opening up a command spot for Chari around December 2020, if not a few weeks earlier. Lindgren, of course, returned to the ISS flow for Crew-4.

MC

MC

Thankyou Michael. As this change occurred prior to the naming of Crew-2 in Jul '20, did Lindgren still complete his backup role for Crew-1 as all sources suggest? Also, is it known if Lindgren's original Crew-2 pilot was substituted (for McArthur) in order to maintain the commander/pilot pairing?

This prompts me to raise a subject that has been puzzling me for some time: backup crew assignments. With the exception of the original DM2/Crew-1 (Lindgren) and CFT/Starliner-1 (Wilmore) press release, I am not aware of any further official NASA announcements relating to CCP backup assignments. Various unofficial sources (sometimes the astronauts themselves) have identified backups (Lindgren/Hines - Crew-3, Bowen - Crew-4, Dominick - Starliner-1 ???, the Crew-8 astronauts backing up Crew-7) and (randomly) Stephanie Wilson's NASA biography listing her as backup for Crew-3.

A similar situation applies to the Soyuz assignments. I have not found an official release identifying Don Pettit as backup for MS-25, although it has been known for some time, having been 'confirmed' on the GCTC website. The only NASA confirmation is the recent release of crew photographs on the agency's Flickr channel.

Any thoughts or clarification would be much appreciated.

Best,

David

I don't know if or whether Lindgren retained his Crew-1 backup role. To sound a bit Spock-like, logic suggests not.

Backups aren't automatically assigned these days. For SpaceX Crew ISS missions, the next CDR/PLT in line are usually considered shadows in that role.

There may have been more than you list, though I've never heard of any. I assume those you cite were for various reasons, possibly medical (an assigned crew member with a temporary issue requiring a backup).

NASA has not officially announced Pettit yet but the new policy seems to be to wait until the last possible moment to confirm what's been obvious or real for months or in the case of Pettit, over a year.

MC

Offline vp.

• France
« Reply #150 on: 02/09/2024 07:12 pm »

NASA has not officially announced Pettit yet but the new policy seems to be to wait until the last possible moment to confirm what's been obvious or real for months or in the case of Pettit, over a year.

MC

Why this new policy?
Is it a Chinese inspiration?

Offline Ben E

« Reply #151 on: 02/09/2024 07:23 pm »
I wondered the same. We all "know" intuitively that ISS crews still undergo 2.5 years of dedicated, mission-specific training. But as recently as late in the last decade, we saw crews announced almost two years out from flight, then by 2017-2018 it was one year out, and now it's a matter of months out. Is there a reason?

I did try to ask NASA if any astronauts were currently training specifically for Soyuz. The reply: "A number of astronauts are in training." Helpful.

Offline David27

• UK
« Reply #152 on: 02/10/2024 10:24 am »

Backups aren't automatically assigned these days. For SpaceX Crew ISS missions, the next CDR/PLT in line are usually considered shadows in that role.

MC

That is entirely logical Michael  ;) and is what I had thought. Thank you.

MC

Yes, this new policy is rather frustrating especially when details are obviously known, in some cases for months before the official announcement.
« Last Edit: 02/10/2024 10:25 am by David27 »

« Reply #153 on: 02/10/2024 10:51 am »
I wondered the same. We all "know" intuitively that ISS crews still undergo 2.5 years of dedicated, mission-specific training. But as recently as late in the last decade, we saw crews announced almost two years out from flight, then by 2017-2018 it was one year out, and now it's a matter of months out. Is there a reason?

I think Jeanette Epps Soyuz MS-09 pullout might be a good reason... No crew officially announce, no need to explain why you change the crew.

Offline hektor

« Reply #154 on: 02/22/2024 05:11 pm »
With Vast bidding for missions 5 and 6 I wonder what that means for the ones who had started a conversation with Axiom about Ax-5. Hungary for instance. Does that mean they will have to talk with both Axiom and Vast and go with the one NASA selects ?

Offline John_Marshall

• Minneapolis
« Reply #155 on: 02/22/2024 08:17 pm »
With Vast bidding for missions 5 and 6 I wonder what that means for the ones who had started a conversation with Axiom about Ax-5. Hungary for instance. Does that mean they will have to talk with both Axiom and Vast and go with the one NASA selects ?

I hadn't even heard that they were bidding. Wow.

Offline Zed_Noir

• Canada
« Reply #156 on: 03/09/2024 03:30 pm »
Think Roscosmos could send up an all-female Soyuz crew in the future?

Offline Ben E

« Reply #157 on: 03/09/2024 05:56 pm »
With Pettit almost certainly pointed at the Soyuz MS-26 mission in September, am I correct in thinking that his putative backup must by now be in training alongside him?

Interesting that all the plausible candidates - McClain, Kim, Wheelock perhaps - are deathly quiet on their X feeds, and even Pettit continues to share his astrophotography work but hasn't given away the slightest hint even that he's currently training for a mission, even as a backup. Are they all sworn to silence for some reason?

« Reply #158 on: 04/16/2024 10:29 am »
With this picture and the already officially assigned astronauts, we can be pretty sure that Starliner-1 will be :

CDR : Tingle
PLT : Fincke
MS-1 : Kutryk
MS-2 : Yui

Yui was already pretty well expected but this is the first picture that might serve as an officialisation.

https://x.com/BoeingSpace/status/1780158327655215562

Offline John_Marshall

• Minneapolis
« Reply #159 on: 04/16/2024 08:49 pm »
With this picture and the already officially assigned astronauts, we can be pretty sure that Starliner-1 will be :

CDR : Tingle
PLT : Fincke
MS-1 : Kutryk
MS-2 : Yui

Yui was already pretty well expected but this is the first picture that might serve as an officialisation.

Cool! Thanks! I was assuming it, but I didn't know if he would fly on Starliner regardless or whether he would fly on USCV-10 and Onishi would fly on USCV-11 regardless of which ships flew which flights.

Offline Ben E

« Reply #160 on: 04/17/2024 04:17 am »
Assuming Starliner-10 does indeed fly in the USCV-10 spot in early 2025, can we therefore expect the Soyuz MS-27 crew line-up to be an all-Russian affair?

With a USCV-10 crewed entirely by USOS personnel, I can't imagine the Russians would agree to giving up a seat to a U.S. astronaut on Soyuz MS-27 and have five USOS and only two Russian crew members on station.

Offline John_Marshall

• Minneapolis
« Reply #161 on: 04/17/2024 03:55 pm »
Assuming Starliner-10 does indeed fly in the USCV-10 spot in early 2025, can we therefore expect the Soyuz MS-27 crew line-up to be an all-Russian affair?

With a USCV-10 crewed entirely by USOS personnel, I can't imagine the Russians would agree to giving up a seat to a U.S. astronaut on Soyuz MS-27 and have five USOS and only two Russian crew members on station.

I would expect so, unless the rumor that I heard about a spaceflight participant on MS-28 comes true, in which case it would seem that there would have to be an American on MS-27 so that Russia keeps its word and launches one American per year.

Offline David27

• UK
« Reply #162 on: 04/18/2024 10:46 am »

Cool! Thanks! I was assuming it, but I didn't know if he would fly on Starliner regardless or whether he would fly on USCV-10 and Onishi would fly on USCV-11 regardless of which ships flew which flights.

John, I think your assumption is right. I think that Yui is certainly aimed at USCV-10 no matter which vehicle flies that slot. That would also explain the lack of official announcement regarding his assignment. I'm guessing we'll find out for sure after CFT.

PS; I'm still wondering why Yui was bumped from Crew-9 in the first place?

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography