Author Topic: 50 years ago today - Launch of Apollo 7  (Read 1749 times)

Offline Phillip Clark

• Hastings, England
  • Liked: 557
  • Likes Given: 1078
50 years ago today - Launch of Apollo 7
« on: 10/11/2018 06:01 am »
Today it is 50 years since the launch of the first manned Apollo, Apollo 7 with Walter Schirra, Walt Cunningham and Donn Eisele. This was a simple shakedown flight of the Apollo Command and Service Modules in Earth orbit, but an essential step towards the goal of a manned lunar landing.
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane - WJ.

Offline Steven Pietrobon

• Adelaide, Australia
    • Steven Pietrobon's Space Archive
  • Liked: 32734
  • Likes Given: 8178
Re: 50 years ago today - Launch of Apollo 7
« Reply #1 on: 10/11/2018 06:50 am »
Here's the Apollo 7 Flight Plan that is at the Kennedy Space Centre.
« Last Edit: 10/11/2018 06:50 am by Steven Pietrobon »
Akin's Laws of Spacecraft Design #1:  Engineering is done with numbers.  Analysis without numbers is only an opinion.

Offline Ronpur50

• Brandon, FL
  • Liked: 1028
  • Likes Given: 1884
« Reply #2 on: 10/11/2018 02:04 pm »
A tribute to the Apollo 7 patch using my model I built.

Online catdlr

• Enthusiast since the Redstones
  • Marina del Rey, California, USA
  • Liked: 8779
  • Likes Given: 7815
« Reply #3 on: 10/12/2018 04:17 am »
Apollo 7 Engineering Film - No Sound (Archival Film)

NASA's Marshall Space Flight Center
Published on Oct 11, 2018

This video documents the October 11, 1968 launch of Apollo 7. The Apollo 7 mission was successful in every respect. All spacecraft systems operated satisfactorily, and all but one of the detailed test objectives were met. As an engineering test flight, Apollo 7 demonstrated the performance of the orbital safing experiment, the adequacy of attitude control in both the manual and automatic modes, and that the vehicle systems could perform for extended periods in orbit. For the first time, a mixed cabin atmosphere consisting of 65 percent oxygen and 35 percent nitrogen was used aboard an American piloted spacecraft. All previous flights had used 100 percent oxygen, a procedure changed as a result of recommendations made by the Apollo 1 fire investigation board. Another “first” was the availability of hot and cold drinking water for the crew as a by-product of the service module fuel cells, an important element for piloted lunar excursions. Consumables usage was maintained at safe levels, and permitted the introduction of additional flight activities toward the end of the mission.The Saturn IB launch vehicle was developed by the NASA Marshall Space Flight Center in Huntsville, Alabama.

Tony De La Rosa, ...I'm no Feline Dealer!! I move mountains.  but I'm better known for "I think it's highly sexual." Japanese to English Translation.

Online catdlr

« Reply #4 on: 10/12/2018 04:19 am »
Apollo 7 Mission

This excerpt from a Saturn Quarterly Film Report covers the October 11, 1968 launch of Apollo 7. The mission was successful in every respect. All spacecraft systems operated satisfactorily, and all but one of the detailed test objectives were met. As an engineering test flight, Apollo 7 demonstrated the performance of the orbital safing experiment, the adequacy of attitude control in both the manual and automatic modes, and that the vehicle systems could perform for extended periods in orbit. For the first time, a mixed cabin atmosphere consisting of 65 percent oxygen and 35 percent nitrogen was used aboard an American piloted spacecraft. All previous flights had used 100 percent oxygen, a procedure changed as a result of recommendations made by the Apollo 1 fire investigation board. Another “first” was the availability of hot and cold drinking water for the crew as a by-product of the service module fuel cells, an important element for piloted lunar excursions. Consumables usage was maintained at safe levels, and permitted the introduction of additional flight activities toward the end of the mission.The Saturn IB launch vehicle was developed by the NASA Marshall Space Flight Center in Huntsville, Alabama.

Tony De La Rosa, ...I'm no Feline Dealer!! I move mountains.  but I'm better known for "I think it's highly sexual." Japanese to English Translation.

Online catdlr

« Reply #5 on: 10/12/2018 04:26 am »
Apollo 50th: First Crew Launches on Apollo 7

NASA

On October 11th, 1968, just 15 months from President Kennedy’s deadline for a moon landing, NASA launched its first Apollo crew into space.  Apollo 7’s Wally Schirra, Donn Eisele, and Walter Cunningham spent 11 days in low Earth orbit, thoroughly testing the Apollo Command and Service Module’s systems. The crew also won an Emmy for the first live television broadcasts from an American spacecraft.

This video is available for download from NASA's Image and Video Library
NASA's Image and Video Library:

YouTube

« Last Edit: 10/12/2018 04:26 am by catdlr »

Offline Steven Pietrobon

• Adelaide, Australia
    • Steven Pietrobon's Space Archive
  • Liked: 32734
  • Likes Given: 8178
« Reply #6 on: 10/12/2018 12:18 pm »
Apollo 7 Engineering Film - No Sound (Archival Film)

Wow! That footage was great. After building SA-205 from photos, it was like looking at an old friend.

http://www.sworld.com.au/steven/models/saturn1b
Akin's Laws of Spacecraft Design #1:  Engineering is done with numbers.  Analysis without numbers is only an opinion.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography