Author Topic: Endeavour @ California Science Center's Samuel Oschin Air and Space Museum  (Read 177421 times)

Offline catdlr

• Enthusiast since the Redstones
  • Marina del Rey, California, USA
  • Liked: 8786
  • Likes Given: 7815
Boy, the 2018 date was too optimistic.  I was there in late December and no progress. CollectSpace would probably be the best source, but It's probably funding as Overflow mentioned.  I bet the nearby StarWars Museum will be open up way before the Endeavor will be.
Tony De La Rosa, ...I'm no Feline Dealer!! I move mountains.  but I'm better known for "I think it's highly sexual." Japanese to English Translation.

Offline catdlr

Bump....

The long-awaited groundbreaking is scheduled for Wednesday, June 1, 2022, 11 years to the day after Endeavour returned from Earth orbit for the final time.

Source By Robert Z. Pearlman

Local news is stating three/four-year construction project.
« Last Edit: 06/01/2022 12:12 pm by catdlr »
Tony De La Rosa, ...I'm no Feline Dealer!! I move mountains.  but I'm better known for "I think it's highly sexual." Japanese to English Translation.

Offline catdlr

Local News Report of today's event

Los Angeles Times

« Last Edit: 09/25/2022 04:13 am by catdlr »

Offline Vahe231991

• 11 Canyon Terrace
  • Liked: 462
  • Likes Given: 199
I know that the design of the Samuel Oschin Air and Space Center extension of the California Science Center was frozen a few years ago but that the planned start of construction of the building was delayed by a few years due to COVID-19: but the California Science Center at last has broken ground on the Samuel Oschin Air and Space Center:
https://www.arup.com/news-and-events/california-science-center-breaks-ground-on-the-samuel-oschin-air-and-space-center

For convenience, I've attached photos of the planned layout of the Samuel Oschin Air and Space Center to give you an idea of what artifacts will be on exhibit at this building. Does anyone know what aircraft and spacecraft will be displayed in this building, given that an F-117, X-29, B-25, F-104, P-38, DC-3, and a few spacecraft are shown on the map for the Samuel Oschin Air and Space Center?
« Last Edit: 11/14/2022 02:38 pm by Vahe231991 »

Offline catdlr

Perhaps the California Science Center could re-purpose the now abandon SLC-6 Service Tower and re-purpose and re-configure some of the umbilicals for the proposed Endeavor Launch set-up.  Heaven knows where the original umbilical arms and launch mount went or got dismantled.  Anyway, just a thought.

Offline catdlr

Local Los Angeles News station making a flyover of the California Science Center, The white structure housing  Shuttle Endeavour, and the Fuel Tank laying on its side next to the structure.  The fly-over also showed the excavation and initial construction of the future Shuttle Display annex to the main Space Museum.

Offline Vahe231991

• 11 Canyon Terrace

Offline catdlr

GO FOR STACK

On July 20, 2023 the California Science Center will commence Go for Stack, the complex process of moving and lifting each of the space shuttle components into place for Endeavour’s upcoming awe-inspiring 20-story vertical display. This technically challenging feat has never been done outside of a NASA facility.

December 31, 2023, will be the last chance to see Endeavour on exhibit for several years until the Samuel Oschin Air and Space Center opens to the public. The space shuttle Endeavour will be moved off display in preparation for a final move across Exposition Park to be lifted into the future Samuel Oschin Air and Space Center, which will then be completed around the full shuttle stack.

Event Page

HOW WE STACK A SPACE SHUTTLE
An illustrative five-step process is provided by scrolling down the event webpage describing the component build of the entire stack over a five-month period of time.

« Last Edit: 07/07/2023 02:04 am by catdlr »

Offline Vahe231991

• 11 Canyon Terrace
Thanks for the updated photos.  Looks like the building surrounding the shuttle won't afford a far away perspective as I would have thought.  But the facilities look great.
Construction recently started on the new facility for the Endeavour space shuttle that will be part of the future Samuel Oschin Air and Space Museum:
https://archinect.com/news/article/150356172/california-science-center-begins-construction-on-space-shuttle-endeavour-exhibition-facility-designed-by-zgf
https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2023-07-06/space-shuttle-endeavour-preps-for-move-to-new-museum
« Last Edit: 07/20/2023 12:35 am by russianhalo117 »

Offline catdlr

The California Science Center begins work for Endeavor's launch position

Offline catdlr

California Science Center // crane lift of Solid Rocket Booster aft skirts (part 1)

Streamed live July 20, 2023
On July 20, 2023 the California Science Center will commence Go for Stack, the complex process of moving and lifting each of the space shuttle components into place for Endeavour’s upcoming awe-inspiring 20-story vertical display. This technically challenging feat has never been done outside of a NASA facility.

The roughly six-month long process starts with the installation of the aft skirts, which attach the entire space shuttle stack to seismic isolators beneath the new Samuel Oschin Air and Space Center building.

Offline catdlr

California Science Center // crane lift of Solid Rocket Booster aft skirts (part 2)

Offline wolfpack

• Wake Forest, NC
  • Liked: 159
  • Likes Given: 4
Are they really going to hang Endeavour off the ET? I would've though a more permanent structure would've been a steel "backbone" inside the ET, maybe protruding through the bottom and into the concrete pad. Just a few small openings such that the orbiter's attachment points go to something very substantial that's sort of "hidden" within the ET. I'd worry about the aluminum ET weakening over time, especially in a seismic environment.

But I'm not a civil engineer. Those who are, chime in. How long can we safely mount the orbiter on an actual ET and not worry about metal fatigue, bending, etc?

Offline whitelancer64

Are they really going to hang Endeavour off the ET? I would've though a more permanent structure would've been a steel "backbone" inside the ET, maybe protruding through the bottom and into the concrete pad. Just a few small openings such that the orbiter's attachment points go to something very substantial that's sort of "hidden" within the ET. I'd worry about the aluminum ET weakening over time, especially in a seismic environment.

But I'm not a civil engineer. Those who are, chime in. How long can we safely mount the orbiter on an actual ET and not worry about metal fatigue, bending, etc?

If you have been to the California Science Center to see Endeavour since it opened on display, you may have met Bill Novak. He is one of the docents helping to answer guests' questions as they tour around the exhibit. Novak also happens to have been the lead of the shuttle loads group at Boeing (and Rockwell before that).

"He and several of his former coworkers provided a great deal of input on how the vehicle reacts to loads," said Jenkins, adding that the structural engineers for the Oschin Air and Space building took the lead in the earthquake studies, but had no experience with spaceflight hardware. "Once the two groups developed a common language — structural engineering uses different terminology than aerospace engineering — it went pretty smoothly."

What the two groups of engineers ultimately found surprised them both. Where initially Jenkins' team thought there was an advantage to using replica hardware to incorporate or hide earthquake protection systems, the studies found what was needed was the real thing — parts that like Endeavour, itself, were built for flight.

"Perhaps the most critical outcome of the seismic studies was that although vastly different from flight loads, the seismic loads were completely enveloped by the loads the space shuttle stack was designed to endure during ascent. This meant that we did not need to make any modifications to the stack hardware, but it also meant that we needed to use flight hardware in all of the critical applications since that is what we modeled for the seismic studies
," Jenkins said.

http://www.collectspace.com/news/news-072023a-space-shuttle-endeavour-exhibit-earthquakes.html

Emphasis (both bold and italics) mine.

The entire article is well worth a read.
« Last Edit: 07/28/2023 08:42 pm by whitelancer64 »
"One bit of advice: it is important to view knowledge as sort of a semantic tree -- make sure you understand the fundamental principles, ie the trunk and big branches, before you get into the leaves/details or there is nothing for them to hang on to." - Elon Musk
"There are lies, damned lies, and launch schedules." - Larry J

Offline Vahe231991

• 11 Canyon Terrace
Since tropical storm Hilary is looming over southern California, will the California Science Center housing the Endeavour space shuttle be spared from the storm?

Offline Newton_V

• United States
  • Liked: 822
  • Likes Given: 129
Since tropical storm Hilary is looming over southern California, will the California Science Center housing the Endeavour space shuttle be spared from the storm?
Yes.  But no.

Offline Vahe231991

• 11 Canyon Terrace
How is the current meteorological situation in LA's Exposition Park (in which California Science Center is located) after showers of rain and instances of flash flooding in and around Los Angeles?

Offline catdlr

How is the current meteorological situation in LA's Exposition Park (in which California Science Center is located) after showers of rain and instances of flash flooding in and around Los Angeles?

As expected, most of the destruction caused by the storm was concentrated east of Los Angeles, the Inland Empire, Mountain Villages, and Desert communities. Some residential areas and locations that were previously susceptible to fire-related incidents (e.g., mud and debris flow) have experienced scattered damage. You can find out more information about this in the evening news. In comparison to what was expected, the wind-related damage was minimal, with heavy rainfall being the main issue. It is very unusual for August to bring much rain to Southern California.

The traditionally flood-prone areas, like sub-train parking lots, streets at an elevation, and freeways with clogged-up drainage (which is quite common in Los Angeles) saw some flooding. The parking area close to Dodger Stadium was even filled with water. The firm creating the Shuttle Museum building will bear the responsibility of draining any accumulated stormwater.

It really wasn't as bad as anticipated. The rain was heavy at times but inconsistent, and the Los Angeles River swelled up (Which the way was channelized by the Corp of Engineers after the 1939 tropical storm event) and did fine (it was a good test). 

The Shuttle Endeavor is still kept safe in its present structure since it was taken there several years ago, and the Tank, although located outdoors, has endured many rainstorms while it awaits to be moved.
« Last Edit: 08/21/2023 10:23 pm by catdlr »

Offline rodface

• Liked: 3
  • Likes Given: 1
I visited Endeavour last week; it was my first time seeing an Orbiter in person and it did not disappoint. I have many thoughts but for now I'll just share some photos that I took, please enjoy.
~~~~~~~~~~
These photos were taken with a Sony ZV-1 which is a pocket-sized vlogging camera that has a surprisingly good autofocus. It isn't magic unfortunately so the tile shot did not turn out well and the image quality is far from the best possible.
~~~~~~~~~~
I was surprised to see that the nose gear doors are not the same size, had fun discovering that.
~~~~~~~~~~
I think I would not have been as disappointed about the SMEs being replicas if I was unaware of their nature. But I know that they're replicas, and I think they look poor.
~~~~~~~~~~
The construction on the new building looks to be only 2-3 stories above ground level at the moment, I don't know what that means as far as a timeline for completion.
« Last Edit: 09/21/2023 12:46 am by rodface »

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography