Author Topic: LIVE: STS-134 Flight Day 8-9 - Off Duty - Soyuz Flyabout and Landing Special  (Read 217588 times)

Offline Chris Bergin

I'm telling you right now, they'll be showing this event in a 1000 year's time, providing the public hasn't been further socially conditioned by whatever crap Simon Cowell's preserved brain has spewed out.
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline MadameConcorde

• The sky is my home
  • Liked: 8
  • Likes Given: 5
Thank you all for the good work!

:-)
For once you have tasted Concorde you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return.
Faire du ciel le plus bel endroit de la terre c'est impossible sans Concorde

Offline Chris Bergin

More FD8 highlights. Foo Fighters song was the wake up song! Excellent!
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline majormajor42

• Liked: 74
  • Likes Given: 230
I'm telling you right now, they'll be showing this event in a 1000 year's time, providing the public hasn't been further socially conditioned by whatever crap Simon Cowell's preserved brain has spewed out.

Oh, that's a tough nut to crack. I was watching this at work and the other guys made a couple glances but didn't take much interest beyond that. I certainly don't expect any additional enthusiasm from my wife, who likes her fair does of reality television. So, while breaking into the trendy amusements of pop culture is one thing that NASA (and others) find difficult, we do far better with the young citizens of our nation. The pictures that come out of this should be made into posters that can somehow be installed in every school in America (and beyond). Not every child will care, but some will ask: "how'd they do that?"

Thanks again for another great thread/experience that I was able to share with those that care. I'm somewhat removed from the control rooms and launch sites. 15 years ago I would just have to wait till they let Miles talk about it on CNN or till Aviation W&ST or Air & Space magazine came out with some pictures. Thanks!
...water is life and it is out there, where we intend to go. I believe that this nation should commit itself to achieving the goal, before this decade is out, of landing a man or machine on a body such as the Moon and harvest a cup of water for a human to drink or process into fuel for their craft.

Offline Chris Bergin

Offline Spooks

• Texas
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
That's awesome!! 8)
Spooks is my nickname for 20+ years, I'm David and I'm a Space Junky!

Offline msc

• Columbus, Ohio
  • Liked: 5
Away from my computer and having difficulty finding this info on the mobile sites:  anyone know when NTV is going to replay this?

Offline Mapperuo

• Assistant Webmaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Yorkshire
  • Liked: 533
  • Likes Given: 68
Away from my computer and having difficulty finding this info on the mobile sites:  anyone know when NTV is going to replay this?

In a video file I would guess, But it will be as a timelapse or highlights. I can't imagine they'll replay it in it's entirety.
« Last Edit: 05/23/2011 11:54 pm by Mapperuo »
- Aaron

Offline Chris Bergin

The video is on the previous page! :D

Starting to preview the deorbit and landing.
« Last Edit: 05/24/2011 12:10 am by Chris Bergin »

Offline GoForTLI

• Taking LIMITS to INHIBIT since 1964
  • Houston, TX
  • Liked: 2
  • Likes Given: 9
Could only steal glimpses of this at work today.  Thanks so much for the fantastic coverage.  I've been feeling a little sorry for myself with the way this mission's schedule lined up with my other obligations, but today was a great day.  I'd like to echo earlier comments that it did feel very special, like the first RPM.  And thanks again for the great team coverage as it really adds to the experience. :)

Now looking forward to a successful deorbit burn, and a safe entry and landing for the folks in the TMA-20.
There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another theory which states that this has already happened. -- Douglas Adams

Offline msc

• Columbus, Ohio
  • Liked: 5

Love the time lapse - am hoping for a realtime replay of at least the meat of it.

Offline Mapperuo

• Assistant Webmaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Yorkshire

Love the time lapse - am hoping for a realtime replay of at least the meat of it.

Found the entire thing on youtube for you:

(EDIT: Tried to just have links to not make the page really long, Sorry)

« Last Edit: 05/24/2011 12:23 am by Mapperuo »
- Aaron

Offline Ronsmytheiii

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 1879
  • Likes Given: 1023

Offline Ronsmytheiii

• Global Moderator
Endeavour Crew wake up
« Last Edit: 05/24/2011 12:27 am by Ronsmytheiii »

Offline Space Pete

Endeavour Crew wake up

I imagine for the second time in recent hours. ;)
NASASpaceflight ISS Editor

Offline Mark Dave

• Ruined
  • Liked: 2
I remember watching Atlantis on STS-71 as a kid. Seeing this brought all that back. IMO it is cool when you get to see something like this.

I think the photos of this photo op should be made into posters or book covers.

That was very cool seeing the entire complex move like that. Something that large moving gracefully in orbit. Just wait until Endeavour's crew seeing the video and photos they weren't awake to be a part of. :)

Offline Ronsmytheiii

• Global Moderator

Online Lee Jay

• Elite Veteran
  • Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3603
  • Likes Given: 327
Was this the most fun and interesting off-duty flight day ever?

Offline Chris Bergin

I can confirm that is the case :D

Offline Mapperuo

• Assistant Webmaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Yorkshire

Was for me, Didn't help though mid way through undocking I had a tree blow down in the garden..  >:( Rather stressful evening!
- Aaron

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography