Author Topic: Shuttle Orbiter pictures  (Read 9028 times)

Offline tim_george

• Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
Shuttle Orbiter pictures
« on: 03/01/2010 01:18 pm »
Hi there

I apologise if this post is in the wrong forum...I couldn't quite decide where it should go.

I am looking for some specific photos of the NASA Shuttle Orbiters. I need them to be either directly from the side or directly from above. Photographs would be best, but detailed diagrams/drawings would be OK.

This sort of thing would be great if it were highly detailed or a high-res image (and obviously without Buran!). Or this is another fairly good example, if only it were high-res.

I would like photos of the 6 NASA Orbiters - Enterprise, Columbia, Challenger, Discovery, Atlantis, and Endeavour. What I'm interested in is seeing the slight differences between each one in terms of colouring and vehicle graphics/logos. I would also like the images of Discovery, Atlantis & Endeavour to be as up-to-date as possible.

Does anyone know/have anything like I'm describing? I've been having a look through the excellent resource that is www.nasaimages.org but there are so many it's taking me ages! There are very few – that I have found – that are taken from directly above or to the side of the vehicle.

Many thanks,

Tim

Offline nathan.moeller

• Astro95 Media
  • Global Moderator
  • Houston, TX
    • Astro95 Media
  • Liked: 16
Re: Shuttle Orbiter pictures
« Reply #1 on: 03/01/2010 02:41 pm »
Welcome to the forum, Tim!  There are several great websites for these types of photos.  Here are a few -

http://mediaarchive.ksc.nasa.gov (simple searches are great here and probably your best source for images of Enterprise and Challenger)

http://www.spaceflight.nasa.gov (most up-to-date images of Columbia, Discovery, Atlantis and Endeavour)

http://science.ksc.nasa.gov/shuttle/photos/  (great for images of Columbia on the STS-107 page)

Hope these help!

EDIT:  You'll find that the identifying features of Columbia are her black wing chines (just forward of the sweep in her wing and right next to the American flag on her side) and the large blackened area and boom at the top of her tail (first seen on STS-61C in 1986).  In addition, Columbia's wing markings were unique until after STS-93.  She had the American flag on her left wing and "USA" on the right while the other orbiters had the NASA worm logo and the orbiter's name on the right wing, with the American flag and "USA" on the left.  After this, the wing markings became uniform for the orbiters, but Columbia remained identifyably unique with her wing chines and tail boom.  Also, prior to STS-61C, her tail was all white except for a small amount of black tiles at the very top.

Challenger also had this small blackened area of tiles at the top of her tail, but she did not sport the black wing chines like Columbia did.  So as long as you viewed her from the side with the wings visible, Challenger was easily identified.

As for the other three, you'll see that, other than the names on the wings and just below the cockpit windows, there aren't many (if any) features that will help in identifying Discovery, Atlantis and Endeavour apart from one another.  But you'll always be able to recognize Columbia and Challenger.
« Last Edit: 03/01/2010 02:57 pm by nathan.moeller »
www.astro95media.com - Lead Video & Graphics

Offline stefan1138

« Reply #2 on: 03/01/2010 04:05 pm »
Discovery has an odd black tile area underneath her starboard cockpit window, which was there right from the beginning when she was rolled out in 1983.

You can easily see it on the following hi-res picture:

http://www.nasa.gov/images/content/386440main_sts128-s-047_hires.jpg

Stefan

Offline nathan.moeller

• Astro95 Media
  • Global Moderator
  • Houston, TX
    • Astro95 Media
  • Liked: 16
« Reply #3 on: 03/01/2010 06:07 pm »
Discovery has an odd black tile area underneath her starboard cockpit window, which was there right from the beginning when she was rolled out in 1983.

You can easily see it on the following hi-res picture:

http://www.nasa.gov/images/content/386440main_sts128-s-047_hires.jpg

Stefan

Ah yes, I forgot about that.  Thanks for adding it!
www.astro95media.com - Lead Video & Graphics

Offline axmor61

• Port Saint Lucie, Fl
  • Liked: 2
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #4 on: 03/01/2010 07:16 pm »
Hi,

If you are interested, you can check my website's REFERENCE page where you can find the "External Markings" on all orbiters since the very first flight.
These "External Markings" are the result of my extensive photo research on each STS mission that I did long time ago and kept updating it until the present time.
Look half way down that page and click on each link under each Orbiter's flag.

www.axmpaperspacescalemodels.com/REFERENCE.html

Alfonso

Offline SpaceInformer

• Vienna - AUSTRIA
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #5 on: 03/01/2010 07:29 pm »
Hi,

If you are interested, you can check my website's REFERENCE page where you can find the "External Markings" on all orbiters since the very first flight.
These "External Markings" are the result of my extensive photo research on each STS mission that I did long time ago and kept updating it until the present time.
Look half way down that page and click on each link under each Orbiter's flag.

www.axmpaperspacescalemodels.com/REFERENCE.html

Alfonso

Excellent work that is very helpfull for a shuttle freak!!!

Discovered Your work months ago and downloaded all the stuff.

Thx!!!

Offline tim_george

« Reply #6 on: 03/01/2010 08:41 pm »
Wow! Thank you so much for your help everyone.

nathan.moeller:
Some of those links look very helpful and I have already found a few images that look really good. Thanks so much for those.

axmor61:
Dude I can't believe how good your site is! I have never seen such amazing paper models before. I will definitely build my own model of the shuttle. I recently got the book "Paper Astronaut" and had a go at building some of their paper models but they are all really small and there are basically no instructions so it's very hard to make them look good. Your resource is fantastic!!

I have a couple of other questions that I would appreciate some help with. One is about the use of NASA images and the NASA logo. I have read this info from the NASA website.

What I am currently thinking about is putting on a small exhibition in honour of the STS. I am a graphic designer/artist based in London. In my mind the exhibition will be very small (probably 5-7 prints, and maybe an accompanying book) and feature some of my artwork based on the shuttle's service history. What I gather from the NASA info above – and please correct me if I'm wrong – is that I would be within the law to reproduce NASA imagery such as images of the shuttle vehicles. However I would not be permitted to reproduce the 'worm' or 'meatball' logos.

Does this mean I cannot include the logos anywhere on my work? To be accurate I would obviously need to show the logo on the Orbiters. I would also like to include the logo somewhere on the posters/prints. But I gather this would imply that the work is NASA-endorsed...? Should I send an email to NASA asking for their permission to reproduce their logo or will they definitely turn it down? Should I go ahead and use the logo and assume that they will never find out as it will only be a very small show in the UK? What if I wanted to sell copies of the prints and they contained the logo?

Another question is about NASA's plans for the shuttle. The idea for this exhibition came to be as a tribute for when the STS is retired at the end of this year. Is this definitely going to happen? All I ever read is that NASA "plans" to retire the shuttle after STS-133. Is there any chance it will carry on? I know they just did the last ever test-firing of an SRB. Everyone talks about it as though the shuttle programme is definitely coming to an end. When are we likely to know if this is the case, for sure?

Once again, many thanks for your help so far.

Offline Rabidpanda

• Liked: 123
  • Likes Given: 572
« Reply #7 on: 03/01/2010 10:52 pm »

Another question is about NASA's plans for the shuttle. The idea for this exhibition came to be as a tribute for when the STS is retired at the end of this year. Is this definitely going to happen? All I ever read is that NASA "plans" to retire the shuttle after STS-133. Is there any chance it will carry on? I know they just did the last ever test-firing of an SRB. Everyone talks about it as though the shuttle programme is definitely coming to an end. When are we likely to know if this is the case, for sure?

I would say that there is 99% chance that the shuttle program will not continue past STS-134.  We will know for sure once congress approves the proposed NASA FY2011 budget.  An extension of the shuttle program seems very unlikely to me.

Offline axmor61

• Port Saint Lucie, Fl
« Reply #8 on: 03/01/2010 11:32 pm »
Tim,

I don't think you should fear asking NASA for permission to use the logos. You have to explain in detail what is your intention, though. I'm pretty sure they will grant your request.

Alfonso

Offline Jorge

• Liked: 529
  • Likes Given: 67
« Reply #9 on: 03/01/2010 11:34 pm »

I would say that there is 99% chance that the shuttle program will not continue past STS-134.

I would say that there is a 99% chance that it will continue past STS-134, because STS-133 is scheduled to fly after 134.

After 133, of course, the program is most likely over.
JRF

Offline Rabidpanda

• Liked: 123
  • Likes Given: 572
« Reply #10 on: 03/02/2010 01:27 am »

I would say that there is 99% chance that the shuttle program will not continue past STS-134.

I would say that there is a 99% chance that it will continue past STS-134, because STS-133 is scheduled to fly after 134.

Really?  I didn't know that.  Why were they moved out of order?

Offline Jorge

• Liked: 529
  • Likes Given: 67
« Reply #11 on: 03/02/2010 01:47 am »

Really?  I didn't know that.  Why were they moved out of order?

Because the primary payload on 134, AMS, was deemed higher priority than anything that was on 133 at the time. This is not news. This happened many months ago.

Now, of course, AMS delivery will likely be delayed, leading to the possibility that the flights will shuffle back to the original order. But as of now, 134 is first, then 133.
JRF

Offline tim_george

« Reply #12 on: 03/03/2010 10:12 am »
Tim,

I don't think you should fear asking NASA for permission to use the logos. You have to explain in detail what is your intention, though. I'm pretty sure they will grant your request.

Alfonso

Any further advice on the logo reproduction issue before I send an email to NASA...?
« Last Edit: 03/03/2010 10:13 am by tim_george »

Offline axmor61

• Port Saint Lucie, Fl
« Reply #13 on: 03/04/2010 12:52 am »
Hi Tim,

What I understand is that you are planning to exhibit your paintings or artwork about the highlights of the Shuttle program. I don't see a problem there. In any case, if you paint the Shuttle you might be including the American Flag and the NASA insignia. I don't see a problem there, either.
But if you put the NASA logo itself let's say at the bottom of the print, then that could send a message as if it's being endorsed by NASA.
As I mentioned before, just explain to them about your project and ask for permission.
Good luck. I'm sure everything is going to be OK.

Alfonso

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography