Author Topic: SpaceX Falcon 9 v1.1 CRS-3 Splashdown Video Repair Task Thread  (Read 1201667 times)

The youtube videos are now on the 3hr schedule to prevent so much spam :)
I don't think you understand. Among the other things I mentioned frame 281 has been fixed for days. Yet you still can't see it on the youtube videos.

So this difference cannot be due to a 3 hour delay.

Hmm... youtube has rejected a few recent uploads due to them being "duplicates", are we sure the video here: http://adama.nocdirect.com/~wronkiew/spx_crs3/landing_clockfix_3hr.mp4 is being updated?

Offline arnezami

• Liked: 267
  • Likes Given: 378
Re: SpaceX Falcon 9 v1.1 CRS-3 Splashdown Video Repair Task Thread
« Reply #1481 on: 06/08/2014 08:35 pm »
Hmm... youtube has rejected a few recent uploads due to them being "duplicates", are we sure the video here: http://adama.nocdirect.com/~wronkiew/spx_crs3/landing_clockfix_3hr.mp4 is being updated?

landing_clockfix_3hr.mp4 is updated on a different schedule from the previously generated files.

Aha. I see that landing_clockfix_3hr.mp4 has not been updates for quite some time. ;)  That's the problem.

So you might wanna use landing_base_set.mp4 for now as the source. Until landing_clockfix_3hr.mp4 is updated again.

landing_clockfix_3hr.mp4 is updated on a different schedule from the previously generated files.

Aha. I see that landing_clockfix_3hr.mp4 has not been updates for quite some time. ;)  That's the problem.

So you might wanna use landing_base_set.mp4 for now as the source. Until landing_clockfix_3hr.mp4 is updated again.

OK I will change it and trigger it manually now, then we can work out what's going on :)

Offline arnezami

• Liked: 267
  • Likes Given: 378
« Reply #1483 on: 06/08/2014 08:47 pm »
OK I will change it and trigger it manually now, then we can work out what's going on :)

Yes. The new youtube video contains the latest repaired frames now.

Thank you.

arnezami

Offline saliva_sweet

• Liked: 476
  • Likes Given: 1826
« Reply #1484 on: 06/08/2014 08:58 pm »
Looking at the video I'm not sure I'm personally a big fan of the latest contrast boost to 281. I think the previous version is more correct.

Offline wronkiew

• 34.502327, -116.971697
  • Liked: 105
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #1485 on: 06/08/2014 10:08 pm »

Yes indeed. There was a communication problem between the two jobs. Now fixed.

Offline Chris Bergin

It seems to me you can see two stages of leg deploy. One the actual deploy (I assume unlatch/deploy) and two the stiffening. Maybe one or two stages of press to prepare them to take the load of the core upon landing.

Becoming really clear in later iterations.
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline mhenderson

• USA
  • Liked: 101
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #1487 on: 06/08/2014 11:55 pm »
@Chris Bergin - Uummm. There is a separate thread for interpretation, but you are right. Those legs wobble like a newborn foal's. I have thought of the second deploy as evidence of changes to the aerodynamic load. This baby is falling faster than Dorothy's house.

@saliva_sweet - I defer to your judgement on frame 281. For some unknown reason, the top two rows no longer show in the video. They both contain mostly good MMBs (with high contrast). I did not remove them. I definitely don't like the blue caste at the bottom third or the awful rectangle at the lower right. I put my efforts in the wiki to get more skilled eyes on it.

To roll back, I left the prior MMB that I replaced in the comment field of the wiki page. Personally, I thought it was inconsistent with the prior frame ... very washed out. As a result, the video ended on an unsatisfying hazy image. 

Offline deruch

• California
  • Liked: 2006
  • Likes Given: 5634
« Reply #1488 on: 06/09/2014 02:09 am »
@Chris Bergin - Uummm. There is a separate thread for interpretation...
/snip/

Burn. ;D
« Last Edit: 06/09/2014 02:09 am by deruch »
Shouldn't reality posts be in "Advanced concepts"?  --Nomadd

Offline deruch

• California
  • Liked: 2006
  • Likes Given: 5634
« Reply #1489 on: 06/09/2014 02:17 am »
/snip/
Personally, I thought it was inconsistent with the prior frame ... very washed out. As a result, the video ended on an unsatisfying hazy image. 
Am I the only one who just realized that the end frames are probably all washed out because the booster just landed in the middle of a steam bath?  The exhaust + the hot bell and legs must have kicked up a lot of steam.  I was thinking it was garbling artifact, but it's probably not.
« Last Edit: 06/09/2014 03:06 am by deruch »
Shouldn't reality posts be in "Advanced concepts"?  --Nomadd

Offline Chris Bergin

/snip/

Burn. ;D

Hate it when that happens. I hope someone reports that Chris character to the moderators. ;D
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Online Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
  • A large LEGO storage facility ... in Michigan
  • Liked: 11864
  • Likes Given: 11086
« Reply #1491 on: 06/09/2014 04:53 am »
/snip/

Burn. ;D

Hate it when that happens. I hope someone reports that Chris character to the moderators. ;D

Just like cops having some fun in their patrol cars, Chris gets to speed with the sirens off from time to time....
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY

Offline mhenderson

• USA
  • Liked: 101
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #1492 on: 06/09/2014 10:01 am »
/snip/
Personally, I thought it was inconsistent with the prior frame ... very washed out. As a result, the video ended on an unsatisfying hazy image. 
Am I the only one who just realized that the end frames are probably all washed out because the booster just landed in the middle of a steam bath?  The exhaust + the hot bell and legs must have kicked up a lot of steam.  I was thinking it was garbling artifact, but it's probably not.

Possible, but then how do we explain the fine detail in the recovered frame? If this image was captured in a fog, the details of the distant legs and the rim of the rocket body would never be this crisp.  IMHO.

Offline Ohsin

• Liked: 1453
  • Likes Given: 2379
« Reply #1493 on: 06/09/2014 11:28 am »
/snip/
Possible, but then how do we explain the fine detail in the recovered frame? If this image was captured in a fog, the details of the distant legs and the rim of the rocket body would never be this crisp.  IMHO
I think sudden clarity in the end frames could be due to many little things like change in exposure as camera adjusts to lighting , steam and it effect on lighting(making it more uniform) and as plume hits water
water reflecting all light onto stage body making fine details clearer.
« Last Edit: 06/09/2014 04:08 pm by Ohsin »
"Well, three cheers to Sharma, but our real baby is INSAT."

Offline wronkiew

• 34.502327, -116.971697
« Reply #1494 on: 06/09/2014 03:23 pm »
YouTube hasn't been updated in a while. IainCole, can you turn auto-generation back on?

YouTube hasn't been updated in a while. IainCole, can you turn auto-generation back on?

I switched it back to 3hr and it's still saying it's duplicate. I'm going to move it back to 1hr again

I switched it back to 3hr and it's still saying it's duplicate. I'm going to move it back to 1hr again

Hmm... the current 1hr is saying it's a duplicate of this too

Offline morningdew76

• McLean, VA
  • Liked: 48
  • Likes Given: 219
« Reply #1497 on: 06/09/2014 06:30 pm »

Maybe the video isn't "different enough" for Youtube to allow it.

One way to increase the difference would be to alter the title sheet to show a time and date, the bigger the font, the better.

Offline moralec

According to https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/58139?hl=en, changing the compression could also help.

Offline wronkiew

• 34.502327, -116.971697
« Reply #1499 on: 06/09/2014 07:25 pm »

Ok, never mind. The last MMB change was 33 hours ago. I've made clock fixes since then, but those don't currently trigger the uploader.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography