Author Topic: SpaceX Starship : Texas Prototype(s) Thread 23 : Discussion  (Read 995482 times)

Offline Barry Brisco

• Liked: 28
  • Likes Given: 9
Re: SpaceX Starship : Texas Prototype(s) Thread 23 : Discussion
« Reply #2240 on: 08/05/2022 09:34 pm »
https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1555628746719211520?s=10&t=CAyGDQvicHewx-S3flAlTA

Elon posted: ď Hustling to get Starship Booster 7 back to pad to test outer ring of 20 enginesĒ

Online Jeff Lerner

• Toronto, Canada
  • Liked: 227
  • Likes Given: 171
« Reply #2241 on: 08/06/2022 01:34 am »
Any idea if this upcoming outer ring test will be a spin test or a SF.?

Offline oiorionsbelt

• Liked: 1124
  • Likes Given: 2551
« Reply #2242 on: 08/06/2022 01:46 am »
Bottom line: Starship development will be long and arduous. I suspect nobody will fly on Starship for 10 years, if ever.
Less than one month since the anomaly and comments like this, booster 7 rolls out to the pad again.
« Last Edit: 08/06/2022 01:48 am by oiorionsbelt »

Offline alugobi

• Liked: 569
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2243 on: 08/06/2022 02:54 am »
I wonder if they installed only those 20.

Online darkenfast

• Liked: 1503
  • Likes Given: 6487
« Reply #2244 on: 08/06/2022 08:18 am »
Just some fun trivia:

1. If SpaceX runs all 20 outer Raptor 2s at full power, I believe it will be the most powerful static-fire ever conducted, at just over 10 million pounds of thrust. Previous record was the last of the three 260-inch solids that Aerojet tested in Florida in the mid-60s. That burn did not make it to full duration, but was about 5.88 million pounds.

2. B7's test will exceed the thrust of the most powerful rocket ever successfully flown (Saturn 5), and roughly tie the most powerful rocket to unsuccessfully fly (Soviet N1 got off the pad four times, but never made it through first stage flight).

3. The thrust of the 20 Raptor 2s exceeds the full liftoff thrust of the SLS currently awaiting it's first flight at KSC.

We now return you to your regular programming. How 'bout those chopsticks?
Writer of Book and Lyrics for musicals "SCAR", "Cinderella!", and "Aladdin!". Retired Naval Security Group. "I think SCAR is a winner. Great score, [and] the writing is up there with the very best!"
-- Phil Henderson, Composer of the West End musical "The Far Pavilions".

Online 2megs

• Liked: 334
  • Likes Given: 55
« Reply #2245 on: 08/06/2022 09:09 am »

The hydraulic failure was unsettling, because of the consequences of that happening at a different time. The whole system relies on the chopsticks working correctly, on demand, at the instant they're needed, or else a booster explodes near the launch pad. (And that's the least-bad outcome; eventually there'll be humans on a returning upper stage.)

Given that stage 0 doesn't have mass constraints, I expect they'll add in more redundancy in the eventual final design -- no single points of failure allowed.

Online schuttle89

• Wichita, KS
  • Liked: 61
  • Likes Given: 226
« Reply #2246 on: 08/06/2022 11:08 am »

The hydraulic failure was unsettling, because of the consequences of that happening at a different time. The whole system relies on the chopsticks working correctly, on demand, at the instant they're needed, or else a booster explodes near the launch pad. (And that's the least-bad outcome; eventually there'll be humans on a returning upper stage.)

Given that stage 0 doesn't have mass constraints, I expect they'll add in more redundancy in the eventual final design -- no single points of failure allowed.
My first reaction to the hydraulic failure was "better now than later"
Best to find all the faults in the system during testing if at all possible

Offline ulm_atms

• Rocket Junky
  • To boldly go where no government has gone before.
  • Calhoun, LA
  • Liked: 1232
  • Likes Given: 296
« Reply #2247 on: 08/06/2022 12:19 pm »
Yea, I think they are testing at the edge of luck at this point.  Hydraulic hoses will absolutely blow out when you least expect them especially at the crimped ends.  Considering this system isn't that old and hasn't even see one launch yet(or landing)...I think they found a problem before it became a problem.

I sure hope the chopsticks are a fully redundant system in which if there is a blow out on one full set of hydraulics, the backup set can get the system to a stable resting state.  If not...they are playing with fire...that's for sure.

Does anyone know if the chopsticks have a fully redundant hydraulic drive system?

Offline warp99

• New Zealand
  • Liked: 315
  • Likes Given: 28
« Reply #2248 on: 08/06/2022 12:47 pm »
Yea, I think they are testing at the edge of luck at this point.  Hydraulic hoses will absolutely blow out when you least expect them especially at the crimped ends.  Considering this system isn't that old and hasn't even see one launch yet(or landing)...I think they found a problem before it became a problem.

I sure hope the chopsticks are a fully redundant system in which if there is a blow out on one full set of hydraulics, the backup set can get the system to a stable resting state.  If not...they are playing with fire...that's for sure.

Does anyone know if the chopsticks have a fully redundant hydraulic drive system?
Each chopstick arm is slewed with a single double acting hydraulic cylinder so there is no redundancy there.  Same for the arms that swing down to clamp the booster.

Offline Oersted

• Liked: 3333
  • Likes Given: 2258
« Reply #2249 on: 08/06/2022 01:25 pm »
So, they will just lift the booster with the crane instead, it seems.... right?

Online Lee Jay

• Elite Veteran
  • Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2915
  • Likes Given: 276
« Reply #2250 on: 08/06/2022 01:33 pm »
Ick.

You can't imagine what a horrible gunky mess a hydraulic leak leaves.  The fluid will absorb every spec of dust in the air and then dry on the surface.

The only way to clean it is by hand and that one looked like about an acre of material got covered.

Time to get a couple of truck loads of rags and degreaser and roll up your sleeves.

Offline jackvancouver

• Video Tech expert
  • Vancouver, Canada
  • Liked: 24
  • Likes Given: 16
« Reply #2251 on: 08/06/2022 02:26 pm »
Guessing powerwashing won't get it off and might be worse as it spreads the oil even more?

Online Lee Jay

• Elite Veteran
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2252 on: 08/06/2022 02:55 pm »
Guessing powerwashing won't get it off and might be worse as it spreads the oil even more?

It's nearly impossible to remove it all that way, but it will remove some of it.  But, yes, that just washes it into the ground and water.  Double-ick.

Offline Khadgars

• Orange County, California
  • Liked: 1059
  • Likes Given: 2640
« Reply #2253 on: 08/06/2022 03:11 pm »
Doesn't the hydrolic failure mean we'll need a re-design of the chopsticks?  Any mission other than Starlink launches, Starship will require multiple launches for refueling in quick succession.  Such a failure could have big impacts on the mission.
Evil triumphs when good men do nothing - Thomas Jefferson

Online Lee Jay

• Elite Veteran
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2254 on: 08/06/2022 03:15 pm »
Doesn't the hydrolic failure mean we'll need a re-design of the chopsticks?  Any mission other than Starlink launches, Starship will require multiple launches for refueling in quick succession.  Such a failure could have big impacts on the mission.

Not of the chopsticks, I don't think.  Possibly of the hydraulic supply for them.

Is there evidence of what actually blew?  It didn't look like an actuator to me, but of a hose somewhere in the system.

Online DanClemmensen

• California
  • Liked: 1546
  • Likes Given: 616
« Reply #2255 on: 08/06/2022 03:18 pm »
It's a prototype. They may refine the design, or they may find a construction flaw. If a more robust design is too expensive, they may choose to build a second tower to bring the reliability up high enough via 1+1 redundancy, which is more or less the brute-force approach to increasing system reliability. We won't know until they finish analyzing the failure.

Offline ulm_atms

• Rocket Junky
  • To boldly go where no government has gone before.
  • Calhoun, LA
  • Liked: 1232
  • Likes Given: 296
« Reply #2256 on: 08/06/2022 04:38 pm »

Each chopstick arm is slewed with a single double acting hydraulic cylinder so there is no redundancy there.  Same for the arms that swing down to clamp the booster.
If that is the case, IMO, time for a redesign as that happening during a catch will be a complete and total disaster for the whole "Stage 0".  If there was a stage coming in and hydraulic fluid spraying all over the place, it possible for 1.  the Raptor to ignite the spray (hydrocarbon based hydraulic fluid isn't that easy to ignite but it is MUCH easier in aerosol form) and 2.  there is now nothing to catch the stage as it runs out of fuel and crashes on the mount.

For their SS/SH goals...the chopsticks have got to have more redundancy IMO.

EDIT:  Do we know what hydraulic fluid they are using?
« Last Edit: 08/06/2022 04:46 pm by ulm_atms »

Offline MichaelBlackbourn

• Liked: 236
« Reply #2257 on: 08/06/2022 04:53 pm »
This is like the landing leg that didnít fully latch. Theyíll fix it, beef it up, whatever until itís working well.

Offline alugobi

• Liked: 569
« Reply #2258 on: 08/06/2022 06:21 pm »
I wonder if, during all the work involving welding that's been going on since B7 went back to the barn, perhaps a  hose got a burn that didn't show until pressurized last night.

Online Redclaws

• Liked: 774
  • Likes Given: 917
« Reply #2259 on: 08/06/2022 06:25 pm »
This is like the landing leg that didnít fully latch. Theyíll fix it, beef it up, whatever until itís working well.

I glanced around and couldnít find images, etc, of the hydraulic leak.  Does anyone have a good link?  Just curious to see it, itís pretty clearly fixable.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement SkyTale Software GmbH
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography