Author Topic: Varda Space Industries  (Read 7212 times)

Offline su27k

• Liked: 8073
  • Likes Given: 766
Re: Varda Space Industries
« Reply #20 on: 08/05/2021 04:12 am »
Well, they're at least the third company to 'give it a try'. The two previous ones have pretty much disappeared with a grand total of one cubesat launched. Not sure if Starship would havs made much of a difference

Who are the previous two?

Online gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
  • Liked: 11168
  • Likes Given: 4985
« Reply #21 on: 08/05/2021 04:21 am »
With Starship coming online, it's only reasonable someone wanted to give in space manufacturing a try, I think this is infinitely more interesting than reinventing smallsat launcher for the 151th time.

Sounds like this company is just providing a platform for manufacturing though, and not sure anyone else is really ready to use such a thing yet?

Offline high road

• Europe
  • Liked: 814
  • Likes Given: 150
« Reply #22 on: 08/05/2021 10:01 am »
Well, they're at least the third company to 'give it a try'. The two previous ones have pretty much disappeared with a grand total of one cubesat launched. Not sure if Starship would have made much of a difference

Who are the previous two?

Planetary resources and deep space industries.

Edi: I only recalled the 'distructive extraction of Earth resources' part, because the rest of that  is just a word soup. They're going to do 'things' in space on a large scale, but can't even specify what product they're going to start out with? Yeah right
« Last Edit: 08/05/2021 10:11 am by high road »

Offline high road

• Europe
  • Liked: 814
  • Likes Given: 150
« Reply #23 on: 08/12/2021 07:40 am »
Adding this here as well:

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/08/11/rocket-lab-space-factories-start-up-varda-deal-for-photon-spacecraft.html

Rocket Lab and space factories start-up Varda sign deal for three spacecraft
PUBLISHED WED, AUG 11 202111:00 AM EDT
Michael Sheetz
@THESHEETZTWEETZ

KEY POINTS

Rocket Lab announced a deal with Varda Space Industries on Wednesday, to provide three Photon spacecraft to support the start-up’s first in-space manufacturing missions.

“In simple terms, we are the real estate and the utilities for the space factory,” Rocket Lab CEO Peter Beck told CNBC.

Varda co-founder Delian Asparouhov told CNBC that purchasing “Photon lets us have the most aggressive schedule and the tightest budget.”

Of particular note:

Beck highlighted that the Varda Photon missions won’t launch on a Rocket Lab rocket, and instead are planned to fly as a secondary, or “rideshare,” payload on another company’s vehicle.

This, along with the ESCAPADE mission which is unlikely to fly on an Electron (or even a Neutron, given the timing), provides another example of how Rocket Lab intends to earn revenue even if launch itself becomes an extremely competitive and low-profit field.

Well, if they ordered a spacecraft, they must know what product they're going to produce. Not exactly starting with mass production if they're going for a Photon, but I assumed that was just a buzzword anyway.

I'll be excited to see what it is they come up with. It could still be a development platform for a new type of product, or to test a ZBLAN printer. It could also be that they just designed a descent module that fits on a Photon to bring back whatever has been produced in space, and that they will just offer this platform to companies like Made In Space. That would mesh in with their lofty goals of mass production by providing infrastructure that allows companies to gradually scale up production.

Edit: I missed the sentence where they say Varda will add the heat shield for reentry. So probably just jumping in the ZBLAN market. Let's see if they manage to beat Made In Space to the punch.
« Last Edit: 08/12/2021 12:23 pm by high road »

Offline jketch

• California
  • Liked: 150
  • Likes Given: 10

Offline su27k

« Reply #25 on: 10/12/2021 03:31 am »
Varda Space selects SpaceX for launch of first space manufacturing satellite

Quote from: SpaceNews
Asparouhov declined to identify what material the first spacecraft will produce, saying the company would announce it once it signed a contract with a customer. He said there was a 50% chance that could happen in the next six months.

He added the company wants to take advantage of research done on the International Space Station as it prepares for its first mission. “The ISS has done a wide variety of materials. We’re not doing new science,” he said.

The company is working on the technologies needed for space manufacturing that Asparouhov said will give it a competitive advantage. But that engineering is not nearly as challenging as developing the reentry capsule that will return the materials to Earth.

“Strictly speaking, reentry is harder than any manufacturing hardware apparatus,” Bruey said. “Hitting the atmosphere at Mach 28 is the hardest problem.”

Offline su27k

« Reply #26 on: 11/26/2021 02:24 am »
 :)

https://twitter.com/zebulgar/status/1463725098612015107
gotta admit the number of times i've gotten the question re: varda

"why go to space for the microgravity, why not just make microgravity chambers on earth?"

has been more than i would've expected

i mean being able to manipulate the space-time continuum would be sick tho

Offline su27k

« Reply #27 on: 01/29/2022 03:10 am »
https://twitter.com/zebulgar/status/1486409588186382339

Quarter-scale model of our first @vardaspace manufacturing platform and re-entry vehucle

Can't wait to see this baby fly next year

Offline josephus

• Let me play among the stars
  • Liked: 9
  • Likes Given: 11
Let me see what nuclear spring is like on Jupiter and Mars

The knowledge is power...Everything is connected...
The Turtle continues at a steady pace ...

Offline TrevorMonty

« Reply #30 on: 08/06/2022 01:07 am »
Using Photon bus means they only need to concentrate on recovery and manufacturing vehicle design, RL should also be providing mission control of spacecraft giving Varda direct comms link to their vehicles systems.

The early missions are likely to be tech demos allowing them to perfect manufacturing before scaling upto commercial 100kg payload versions. Whats not clear is who is providing manufacturing technology, companies working on ZLAN,
semiconductors and pharmaceuticals inspace manufacturing have been working on these technologies for quite few years. I wonder if Varda are partnering with one of these companies.

To bring cost down long term they need to be operating out of reuseable upper stage, assuming that US can survive in orbit for few weeks. The alternative is use US to transport materials back and fore to unmanned spacestation with manufacturing equipment in it. Pros and cons for both but operating out of US has lower setup cost and option to upgrade equipment between missions. Spacestation requires vehicle to dock and transfer stuff robotically, not simple technology to develop.

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/08/05/varda-signs-nasa-partnerships-for-space-factory-demo-flight-next-year.html

"The first capsule version will fly Varda’s first four missions and will return up to 10 to 15 kilograms of manufactured material per flight. The company aims to move to a second version of the vehicle near the end of 2025, designed to increase the amount of material returned to up to 100 kilograms at a time."

« Last Edit: 08/06/2022 01:37 am by TrevorMonty »

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement SkyTale Software GmbH
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography