Author Topic: STS-51F pad abort  (Read 46777 times)

Offline STS-85

• Liked: 6
  • Likes Given: 1
STS-51F pad abort
« on: 11/29/2010 12:03 am »
There HAS to be a video somewhere out there of the first attempt of STS-51F, when the engines shutdown at T-3.
I've seen the ATO video and that's all; youtube has all the other pad-aborts, but no one seems to have video of this one.... any ideas?

Offline heng44

• Regular
  • Liked: 72
Re: STS-51F pad abort
« Reply #1 on: 12/01/2010 11:55 am »
There HAS to be a video somewhere out there of the first attempt of STS-51F, when the engines shutdown at T-3.
I've seen the ATO video and that's all; youtube has all the other pad-aborts, but no one seems to have video of this one.... any ideas?

I have one or two minutes on VHS, but it is PAL-system. And I can't covert it to post it here. Sorry.

Offline jaysvw

• Litchfield Park, AZ
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: 12/11/2010 05:50 am »
Don't know if you have seen this:

Remember I had seen this as I was browsing video of the 41D abort.  Been reading Riding Rockets, Mike Mullane is hilarious. 
« Last Edit: 12/11/2010 05:52 am by jaysvw »

Online DaveS

• Shuttle program observer
  • Sweden
  • Liked: 1199
  • Likes Given: 65
« Reply #3 on: 12/11/2010 06:19 am »

Remember I had seen this as I was browsing video of the 41D abort.  Been reading Riding Rockets, Mike Mullane is hilarious. 
That's STS-51 (Discovery) pad abort on Aug. 12 1993. The one requested is STS-51F (Challenger) pad abort on Jul. 12 1985.
"For Sardines, space is no problem!"
-1996 Astronaut class slogan

"We're rolling in the wrong direction but for the right reasons"
-USA engineer about the rollback of Discovery prior to the STS-114 Return To Flight mission

Offline STS-85

« Reply #4 on: 12/19/2010 01:54 pm »
Yes,
I've seen it; On  youtube there ALL the pad-aborts, except for STS-51F (Challenger - July 1985)
I just find it unbelievable that there's no footage anywhere.. you can find complete coverage of virtually all the early missions, including the news coverage of the launch and extended coverage due to the ATO.. but the pad abort seems to be impossible to find.. argh.

Offline STS-85

« Reply #5 on: 04/01/2011 01:39 am »
Bumping this.. since maybe SOMEbody out there has the video of the STS-51F Challenger T-3 RSLS pad abort... >>>>>>>>>>>>> ?? :)

Offline catdlr

• Enthusiast since the Redstones
  • Marina del Rey, California, USA
  • Liked: 8786
  • Likes Given: 7815
« Reply #6 on: 04/02/2011 03:53 am »
Bumping this.. since maybe SOMEbody out there has the video of the STS-51F Challenger T-3 RSLS pad abort... >>>>>>>>>>>>> ?? :)

There are a bunch of videos on You Tube on this event:
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=STS-51+abort&aq=f
« Last Edit: 04/02/2011 03:53 am by catdlr »
Tony De La Rosa, ...I'm no Feline Dealer!! I move mountains.  but I'm better known for "I think it's highly sexual." Japanese to English Translation.

Offline psloss

• Veteran armchair spectator
  • Liked: 4046
  • Likes Given: 2089
« Reply #7 on: 04/02/2011 01:54 pm »

There are a bunch of videos on You Tube on this event:
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=STS-51+abort&aq=f
"Same difference" as DaveS noted three posts above -- those show the STS-51 abort in August, 1993.  The 51-F pad abort occurred eight years earlier, in mid July of 1985.

Offline woods170

• IRAS fan
  • IRAS fan
  • The Netherlands
  • Liked: 18198
  • Likes Given: 12158
« Reply #8 on: 04/02/2011 08:25 pm »

I have one or two minutes on VHS, but it is PAL-system. And I can't covert it to post it here. Sorry.

Well Ed, I can. How about you send me a PM. See what we might come up with.

Offline STS-85

« Reply #9 on: 04/02/2011 11:19 pm »
It'd be outstanding to finally see it - thanks guys for all you can do.. and yes I find it amusing each time I've brought it up, I'm directed to STS-51 lol

Offline jacqmans

• Global Moderator
  • Houten, The Netherlands
  • Liked: 8562
  • Likes Given: 320
« Reply #10 on: 05/29/2011 09:42 am »

The film can now be downloaded in the L2 movie section :)
Jacques :-)

Offline RamjetFDO

• Space Cadet
  • Flight FDO... burn complete, no further trim reqd.
  • Austin, TX
    • -t h e t r e n c h-
  • Liked: 3
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #11 on: 06/02/2011 08:08 pm »

That's STS-51 (Discovery) pad abort on Aug. 12 1993. The one requested is STS-51F (Challenger) pad abort on Jul. 12 1985.

Wow... I remember *THIS* one clearly!

I was Lead FDO on STS-51, and was in the MPSR for this launch, as I was deploying the ACTS-TOS on the post-Ascent Orbit 2 shift.  I was already wired for the deploy, but when the pad abort happened, I didn't know what to do with all that nervous energy!

I think I was on an adrenaline high for a couple of hours...  but, for some strange reason, when we got the *actual* launch one month later, I was as cool as a cucumber.   8)
Roger Balettie
former Flight Dynamics Officer
Space Shuttle Mission Control Center
http://space.balettie.com/

Offline psloss

• Veteran armchair spectator
  • Liked: 4046
  • Likes Given: 2089
« Reply #12 on: 06/02/2011 08:28 pm »
Wow... I remember *THIS* one clearly!

I was Lead FDO on STS-51, and was in the MPSR for this launch, as I was deploying the ACTS-TOS on the post-Ascent Orbit 2 shift.  I was already wired for the deploy, but when the pad abort happened, I didn't know what to do with all that nervous energy!

I think I was on an adrenaline high for a couple of hours...  but, for some strange reason, when we got the *actual* launch one month later, I was as cool as a cucumber.   8)
Heh, that was a long launch campaign for STS-51.  How wired were you for the attempt three weeks earlier that cutoff inside T-31? ;D

Offline RamjetFDO

• Space Cadet
  • Flight FDO... burn complete, no further trim reqd.
  • Austin, TX
    • -t h e t r e n c h-
  • Liked: 3
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #13 on: 06/02/2011 09:15 pm »
Heh, that was a long launch campaign for STS-51.  How wired were you for the attempt three weeks earlier that cutoff inside T-31? ;D

Surprisingly... I don't remember the earlier attempts as much!

I do remember postponing the launch for a few weeks (to the ill-fated August attempt) in order to not fly through the Perseid meteors.  So, maybe the August attempt was extra anxious for me because of the earlier delays.

Who knows... I just remember being fired up and then massively let down.  ;)
Roger Balettie
former Flight Dynamics Officer
Space Shuttle Mission Control Center
http://space.balettie.com/

Offline rjholling

« Reply #14 on: 06/04/2011 01:45 am »
Does anyone remember STS-68 pad abort?  I remember I saw this live on NASA TV when I was a kid and being really confused.  Watching it on youtube you can see how much the shuttle is oscillating when the swing arm moves into position.  It looks like you can kind of tell something is up with the engines at startup because you can hear a loud 'pop'.
« Last Edit: 06/04/2011 01:46 am by rjholling »

Offline Zoomer30

• Veteran
« Reply #15 on: 06/04/2011 03:03 am »
In the STS-68 abort, it was due to one of the turbopump discharge temps going over the redline limit. Can't remember off hand if it was LH2 or LOX.

Had the issue taken just a bit longer (half s second I think) the redline limit would have been increased and the abort may not have happened. All ended up to be a bad sensor if memory serves.

Offline rdale

• Assistant to the Chief Meteorologist
  • Lansing MI
  • Liked: 1415
  • Likes Given: 171
« Reply #16 on: 06/04/2011 03:09 am »
Watching it on youtube you can see how much the shuttle is oscillating when the swing arm moves into position. 

Isn't that the arm bouncing around?

Offline shuttlefanatic

• Launches: 61-C, 91, 100, 119, 133, 134, 135. Landings: 26, 28, 32, 36, 41, 40, 44, 42, 58, 64, 66, 67, 76, 92, 100, 124, 126, 128.
  • SSP MET 11056d 21h 57m Flight time 1330d 16h 18m
  • San Diego, CA
    • Final thoughts...
« Reply #17 on: 06/04/2011 03:53 am »
It looks like you can kind of tell something is up with the engines at startup because you can hear a loud 'pop'.
If you're referring to the 'pop' at 0:32 in the video (~T-9s), I believe that's just the hydrogen igniters going off.

Offline TrueBlueWitt

• Space Nut
  • Mars in my lifetime!
  • DeWitt, MI
  • Liked: 300
  • Likes Given: 487
« Reply #18 on: 06/04/2011 04:11 am »
Watching it on youtube you can see how much the shuttle is oscillating when the swing arm moves into position. 

No.. Shuttle stack.  If you watch the close up videos at main engine start, the whole stack rocks a bit.

Huge offset load from SSME's start..  The whole stack only held down at the bottom of the SSRBs.. which while very stiff still flex under the SSME load.. (actually they unload as they are flexed a bit to shuttle side by it's mass when sitting at pad. then when SSME light and offset the mass of the shuttle the SSRB casing straighten out then load other way).   At cutoff.. when offset load is removed.. the whole stack sways back toward the orbiter..  then oscillates for a while.  The SSRBs are big beams(read springs) in essence.. held at one end like a diving board.

« Last Edit: 06/04/2011 04:21 am by TrueBlueWitt »

Offline rdale

• Assistant to the Chief Meteorologist
  • Lansing MI
  • Liked: 1415
  • Likes Given: 171
« Reply #19 on: 06/04/2011 05:04 am »

No.. Shuttle stack.  If you watch the close up videos at main engine start, the whole stack rocks a bit.

Understood - but we're talking about A+45 seconds when the access arm is back in. I guess I can't see that it's still rocking that much versus the bouncing of the arm.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography