Poll

Should NSF keep the current logo or look for a new one

Keep the current logo
91 (31.5%)
Look at options for a new logo
198 (68.5%)

Total Members Voted: 289

Author Topic: NSF 2017: New Logo - Vote and Design Options - DONE  (Read 52876 times)

Online AnalogMan

• Cambridge, UK
  • Liked: 1602
  • Likes Given: 50
Re: NSF 2017: New Logo - Vote and Design Options
« Reply #20 on: 08/17/2016 06:23 pm »
To my eye the above looks too similar to the genuine NASA Insignia due to the use of the NASA "vector" and similar hue of blue.
« Last Edit: 08/17/2016 06:24 pm by AnalogMan »

Offline RotoSequence

• Liked: 2068
  • Likes Given: 1535
« Reply #21 on: 08/17/2016 06:42 pm »
To my eye the above looks too similar to the genuine NASA Insignia due to the use of the NASA "vector" and similar hue of blue.

Would the use of specific colors from the NASA design guide pose a problem for NSF?
« Last Edit: 08/17/2016 06:44 pm by RotoSequence »

Offline russianhalo117

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 4672
  • Likes Given: 768
« Reply #22 on: 08/17/2016 06:51 pm »

Would the use of specific colors from the NASA design guide pose a problem for NSF?
Look at Code of Federal Regulations: Title 14 it lists out restrictions on the public for variations and usage of NASA insignias and logos.

Offline rcoppola

• USA
  • Liked: 1967
  • Likes Given: 970
« Reply #23 on: 08/17/2016 07:01 pm »
IMO, the NSF logo should be updated to reflect 2 things:

1. A more contemporary design language
2. A better representation of what this site has evolved into since the days of Shuttle and post ISS build-out.
Sail the oceans of space and set foot upon new lands!
http://www.stormsurgemedia.com

Offline RotoSequence

« Reply #24 on: 08/17/2016 07:10 pm »
IMO, the NSF logo should be updated to reflect 2 things:

1. A more contemporary design language
2. A better representation of what this site has evolved into since the days of Shuttle and post ISS build-out.

spaceflight.com already belongs to someone else, though. "NASA" is the only thing that distinguishes the two, and NSF was created to cover the return to flight of the Shuttle. I don't think it would hurt to keep that part of the site's heritage in its logo.
« Last Edit: 08/17/2016 07:10 pm by RotoSequence »

Offline RotoSequence

« Reply #25 on: 08/17/2016 07:16 pm »
My friend has a new design in lieu of an overt reference to The Meatball.

Offline ejb749

« Reply #26 on: 08/17/2016 07:28 pm »
So I've been playing with photostop a little too much... and tried some variations of Okan170's logo (top left).
The left column is the current site font, and the right column is a font similar to the Nasa logo.
I like the 'swoosh' design for the main site, and then you could use the appropriate logo/icon for each section of the website.

The photoshop files are available if anyone wants to play with them.

Offline rayleighscatter

• Maryland
  • Liked: 565
  • Likes Given: 238
« Reply #27 on: 08/17/2016 10:58 pm »
I rather like the current logo as-is, though it could have some additional variations for smaller, less color-rich uses, and ones where space may be an issue.  For example, moving the "spaceflight.com" under the NASA and making the swoosh a negative-space element over the end of "NASA///"  This version might be more efficient for labelling on smaller things, watermarking, tagging etc. while the main logo would be used everywhere else.

(quick mockups on my laptop)

I don't have the ability to fiddle with graphics but another possibility is to make the \\\ each a different color. Yellow, Orange, and Red give the idea of thrust (at least it does as I'm swiping the concept from the STS-1 patch)

If we stick generally with the same logo I do like it generally as Okan has done with the "spaceflight" in column with "nasa." I also like it with the swirling orbit removed as it seems to sort of off-balance the logo.

Offline Graham

• Aerospace Engineer
  • New York
  • Liked: 254
  • Likes Given: 117
« Reply #28 on: 08/17/2016 11:05 pm »
Here's another version Ryan put together. This version gets rid of the potential confusion with the National Science Foundation that the previous designs had.
« Last Edit: 08/17/2016 11:06 pm by Graham »
I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night
- Sarah Williams

Offline ejb749

« Reply #29 on: 08/18/2016 12:08 am »
Like this?

I don't have the ability to fiddle with graphics but another possibility is to make the \\\ each a different color. Yellow, Orange, and Red give the idea of thrust (at least it does as I'm swiping the concept from the STS-1 patch)

If we stick generally with the same logo I do like it generally as Okan has done with the "spaceflight" in column with "nasa." I also like it with the swirling orbit removed as it seems to sort of off-balance the logo.

Offline Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
  • A large LEGO storage facility ... in Michigan
  • Liked: 11864
  • Likes Given: 11086
« Reply #30 on: 08/18/2016 01:10 am »
Like this?

Yes, and add the different craft/stations/planets in different sections idea and it's really cooking.
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY

Offline floron

• goodbye Austin, hello Seattle
    • my occasional blog
  • Liked: 85
  • Likes Given: 41
« Reply #31 on: 08/18/2016 01:30 am »
My friend has a new design in lieu of an overt reference to The Meatball.

I really like this one.  :D  Nice and clean, easy to read...I just think the red swoosh and shuttle are a touch on the large side.

I've tried to riff a few more ideas off that one...the shuttle could be randomly swapped out with alternate vehicles, perhaps?
« Last Edit: 08/18/2016 01:32 am by floron »

Offline floron

• goodbye Austin, hello Seattle
    • my occasional blog
  • Liked: 85
  • Likes Given: 41
« Reply #32 on: 08/18/2016 01:48 am »
...or here's a quick idea based off Nathan's rocket garden render:

Offline okan170

• Los Angeles
  • Liked: 6806
  • Likes Given: 1345
« Reply #33 on: 08/18/2016 04:53 am »
Got a chance to do a cleaner version of the mockup.  I tried out a slightly different typeface too.

Offline Rocket Science

• NASA Educator Astronaut Candidate Applicant 2002
  • Liked: 4548
  • Likes Given: 13523
« Reply #34 on: 08/18/2016 07:28 am »
Here's another version Ryan put together. This version gets rid of the potential confusion with the National Science Foundation that the previous designs had.
I like this design, perhaps not so much for the site's logo, but more for swag. It would look great on a t-shirt, cap or mug IMHO... :)
"The laws of physics are unforgiving"
~Rob: Physics instructor, Aviator

Online Chris Bergin

« Reply #35 on: 08/18/2016 01:01 pm »
Got to say, I didn't think we'd get this much activity. Really appreciated and let's not go to a vote just yet. People clearly still have their thinking caps on!
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline kenny008

• Knoxville, TN
  • Liked: 128
  • Likes Given: 2079
« Reply #36 on: 08/18/2016 02:53 pm »
I really like the general design of this one.  It emphasizes the "spaceflight" part of NSF and de-emphasizes the "NASA" part.  The outlines of the different launchers also show this emphasis on a wide range of launchers, not just NASA launchers.  It still emphasizes launchers, which is only a part of spaceflight, but I think it is going in the right direction.

Offline Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
  • A large LEGO storage facility ... in Michigan
  • Liked: 11864
  • Likes Given: 11086
« Reply #37 on: 08/18/2016 04:26 pm »
I really like the general design of this one.  It emphasizes the "spaceflight" part of NSF and de-emphasizes the "NASA" part.  The outlines of the different launchers also show this emphasis on a wide range of launchers, not just NASA launchers.  It still emphasizes launchers, which is only a part of spaceflight, but I think it is going in the right direction.
As a site we tend to be pretty launcher/mission centric, there typically isn't a lot of trade journalish "how to optimize downlink pointing for last generation GEO birds" stuff... (I made that up)

So that might be OK. I am digging all the ideas.
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY

Offline tea monster

• Across the Universe
    • My ArtStation Portfolio
  • Liked: 861
  • Likes Given: 182
« Reply #38 on: 08/18/2016 07:38 pm »
I don't like the one with the red stripes. I think it's too much like the old one and has less verve and panache than the old one.

I love the rocket garden, but I'm thinking that it will have trouble sitting in the current page layout. It will look great on hats and t-shirts, but imagine trying to fit that into the space of the current page header - it will quickly get lost.

Offline wenderro

• Romania
  • Liked: 17
  • Likes Given: 35
« Reply #39 on: 08/18/2016 09:24 pm »
IMHO, it will be best if it will be like 2 weeks time for submitting logo ideas (I plan at least to come with some more), there is no hurry and with that much time people will come up with great ideas. Also after that period some should be selected to participate in the final, also giving the authors time to refine the design based on criticism, suggestion, etc.
It really would be great to get a lovely logo that people really like and also use it proudly on swag (not sure if I used the word correctly :) )

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography