Author Topic: FAILURE: Orbital's Antares/Cygnus ORB-3 (CRS-3) - UPDATES  (Read 466722 times)

Offline NovaSilisko

• Liked: 1440
  • Likes Given: 1301
Re: FAILURE: Orbital's Antares/Cygnus ORB-3 (CRS-3) - UPDATES
« Reply #820 on: 11/08/2015 10:21 pm »

The recently released pictures are trending on Facebook, posts filled with mean comments directed towards NASA :'(

That seems rather unfair.

I saw people talking about how NASA sucked after the Super Strypi failure. Remember, NASA launches all rockets in the world.
« Last Edit: 11/08/2015 10:21 pm by NovaSilisko »

Offline woods170

• IRAS fan
  • IRAS fan
  • The Netherlands
  • Liked: 18202
  • Likes Given: 12162
« Reply #821 on: 11/09/2015 07:51 am »
The recently released pictures are trending on Facebook, posts filled with mean comments directed towards NASA :'( 

I saw people talking about how NASA sucked after the Super Strypi failure. Remember, NASA launches all rockets in the world.

Just goes to show that Facebook is largely populated by a bunch of glaring id**ts. I don't use it and most of my co-workers on my IT day-job do not use it either, for all the right reasons. Same goes for other 'social' media (the term itself is a contradiction-in-terms) such as Instagram and Twitter.

Edit: sorry for the OT rant. Mods: feel free to remove this post.
« Last Edit: 11/09/2015 08:25 am by woods170 »

Offline NovaSilisko

• Liked: 1440
  • Likes Given: 1301
« Reply #822 on: 11/09/2015 07:53 am »
Twitter

I find twitter depends more on who you follow, which I usually keep at planetary science people and spaceflight news... but actually this is most decidedly off topic so I'm gonna kinda be quiet now.  :P

Offline zubenelgenubi

• Global Moderator
  • Arc to Arcturus, then Spike to Spica
  • Sometimes it feels like Trantor in the time of Hari Seldon
  • Liked: 7405
  • Likes Given: 72501
« Reply #823 on: 11/26/2015 08:21 pm »
Note: the next Soyuz-2-1V launch, using the NK-33, is currently:
Fourth quarter – Kanopus-ST – Soyuz-2-1V/Volga – Plesetsk, 43/4

From the thread "Plan of Russian space launches (part 2)"
The same thread now reports that this launch is the next Russian orbital launch, with a launch date of December 9.

EDIT December 1: The launch is now scheduled for December 4.
EDIT December 5: The launch is today.
« Last Edit: 12/05/2015 01:50 pm by zubenelgenubi »
Support your local planetarium! (COVID-panic and forward: Now more than ever.) My current avatar is saying "i wants to go uppies!" Yes, there are God-given rights. Do you wish to gainsay the Declaration of Independence?

Offline russianhalo117

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 4673
  • Likes Given: 768
« Reply #824 on: 12/01/2015 04:05 am »

The same thread now reports that this launch is the next Russian orbital launch, with a launch date of December 9.
and to note this engine for this Russian Flight has since been modified and test fired twice in accoardance with the ORB-3 data and investigation findings, which are in the antares and Soyuz-2.1v threads. The findings required several herritage components to be replaced with new ones or modified

Test fire

http://www.russianspaceweb.com/nk33.html#2015

"On October 5, 2015, the United Engine Corporation, ODK, announced that it had conducted a successful 40-second test firing of the NK-33 engine to certify it for the use on the Soyuz-2-1v rocket
You left out the most important part of the entire post:
On October 5, 2015, the United Engine Corporation, ODK, announced that it had conducted a successful 40-second test firing of the NK-33 engine to certify it for the use on the Soyuz-2-1v rocket, which at the time was being prepared for its second launch. The firing tested an upgraded combustion chamber and a newly manufactured ignition chamber. (Both components were modified in the wake of an Antares rocket failure in 2014.) The ODK said that the final processing of the fifth NK-33 engine would be completed within next two weeks before its shipment to RKTs Progress, the developer of the Soyuz rocket family.
« Last Edit: 12/01/2015 04:09 am by russianhalo117 »

Offline edkyle99

• Expert
    • Space Launch Report
  • Liked: 8566
  • Likes Given: 1356
« Reply #825 on: 12/01/2015 04:37 pm »
The firing tested an upgraded combustion chamber and a newly manufactured ignition chamber. (Both components were modified in the wake of an Antares rocket failure in 2014.)
The problem is that neither of the upgraded components listed here were considered to be related to the cause of the Antares failure, as I understand things.

- Ed Kyle

Offline zubenelgenubi

• Global Moderator
  • Arc to Arcturus, then Spike to Spica
  • Sometimes it feels like Trantor in the time of Hari Seldon
  • Liked: 7405
  • Likes Given: 72501
« Reply #826 on: 12/05/2015 01:54 pm »
Re: the next use of the NK-33 engines

EDIT December 1: The launch is now scheduled for December 4.
EDIT December 5: The launch is today.
The launch was successful! http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=36648.msg1453185#msg1453185
« Last Edit: 12/05/2015 01:57 pm by zubenelgenubi »
Support your local planetarium! (COVID-panic and forward: Now more than ever.) My current avatar is saying "i wants to go uppies!" Yes, there are God-given rights. Do you wish to gainsay the Declaration of Independence?

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography