Author Topic: SpaceX's Autonomous Spaceport Drone Ship Updates and Discussion Thread 3  (Read 1424523 times)

Offline brettreds2k

• Charlotte, NC
  • Liked: 16
  • Likes Given: 42
I figured by now they would have released the video of the landing attempt.
Brett
www.facebook.com/brett.lowenthal1

Orbiters I have visited in retirement:

[ ] Enterprise
[X] Discovery
[X] Atlantis
[ ] Endeavour

Offline Rocket Science

• NASA Educator Astronaut Candidate Applicant 2002
  • Liked: 4548
  • Likes Given: 13523
I just asked a source at McDonough Marine who told me the deck plate is 9/16" thick, so we won't have to debate that point any further.  ;)

Now that's a solid report.  Case closed forever.  Thanks.

It seems as if someone else, a newer person IIRC, solved another longstanding ASDS mystery a few weeks back by just simply picking up the phone and calling the authority.  I can't recall or find it, I think it was the Eastern Range or Coast Guard??

Given these two stepwise advancements in ASDS science it seems to me that rather than filling up hundreds of additional pages of NSF server space with more speculations, calculations, and educated guesses we just need to list our questions and call the sources for answers.  Perhaps we need to print up some cool looking NSF credentials so we look official doing it. ;D
Or start up your own website... "Barge Stalkers United"...BSU ;D
"The laws of physics are unforgiving"
~Rob: Physics instructor, Aviator

Offline the_other_Doug

• Minneapolis, MN
  • Liked: 2191
  • Likes Given: 4620

Yeah.  Considering how long it's been, I'm seriously doubting we'll ever see it.

Maybe it happens so fast that there's really not much to see.
-Doug  (With my shield, not yet upon it)

Offline clegg78

• I play KSP, so I know things about rockets and stuff... :)
  • Denver, CO
  • Liked: 92
  • Likes Given: 15
I would bet we catch a glimpse in some presentation at some point by Elon or other management from SpaceX.  They've done that in the past, where we never saw video until it was at some speech they gave.   I am guessing its pretty dramatic video, adn they want a success before they show it.
Buy the Ticket, Take the Ride - Hunter S Thompson

Offline MattMason

• Space Enthusiast
  • Indiana
  • Liked: 772
  • Likes Given: 2016

Yeah.  Considering how long it's been, I'm seriously doubting we'll ever see it.

Maybe it happens so fast that there's really not much to see.

And they're trying to save some surprise for the SpaceX Christmas Party Blooper Reel. You could put these attempts to music. They'll provide their own percussion.

But I might agree. It was a night launch and the speed that the octoweb did to core-sample the barge like that probably just appears as an immediate +5 Vorpal RUD of Kaboomy Goodness.
"Why is the logo on the side of a rocket so important?"
"So you can find the pieces." -Jim, the Steely Eyed

Offline vanoord

• Liked: 450
  • Likes Given: 106
Is the Octaweb itself so weighty that it would be responsible for the damage alone; or is the mass of the engines as much / more of a factor?

Certainly to tear 9/16" plate there's got to have been a fair impact - the footage would be interesting; and might cast a bit of light on whether the impact speed tor the ensuing explosion caused most of the damage.

Offline matthewkantar

• Liked: 2506
  • Likes Given: 2211
Is the Octaweb itself so weighty that it would be responsible for the damage alone; or is the mass of the engines as much / more of a factor?

Certainly to tear 9/16" plate there's got to have been a fair impact - the footage would be interesting; and might cast a bit of light on whether the impact speed tor the ensuing explosion caused most of the damage.

Since several stages have blown up on the barges, seemingly without leaving a dent, the hole was punched by the speed of impact.

Matthew

Offline CameronD

• Melbourne, Australia
    • Norton Consultants
  • Liked: 868
  • Likes Given: 548

Well, we know from past attempts that the kaboom part of the landing does very little damage to anything other than the stage itself.. but that heavy bits impacting at speed do cause the odd puncture (remember the one in the side of the hull?)

Ignoring the deck for a sec and considering the damage to the bulkhead underneath - likely a 9/16" mild steel plate on edge with a 6" (my guess) steel "I"-shaped deck beam running across the top which was sheared completely upon impact - I think it's fair to surmise the impact was caused by something solid (like the octaweb) travelling at higher-than-landing-approach speed..

As others have said, I don't think the video would show much other than a ball of light decending rapidly followed by a kaboom to finish.
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine - however, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are
going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead.

Offline thor1872

• Swiss
  • Liked: 66
  • Likes Given: 650
« Last Edit: 03/17/2016 02:13 am by thor1872 »

Offline CameronD

• Melbourne, Australia
    • Norton Consultants

Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/spacex/comments/4aqh3w/ocisly_today_look_at_the_huge_hole_on_the_left/

That's not just any scrap - that's a piece of the deck!!  :o

You can clearly see the beams spaced a foot or so apart and part of a deck girder.  Like this example (out of the Barge Rules):

« Last Edit: 03/17/2016 03:58 am by CameronD »
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine - however, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are
going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead.

Offline Kabloona

• Velocitas Eradico
  • Fortress of Solitude
  • Liked: 3429
  • Likes Given: 741
The deck piece being moved in the video looks much bigger than the original hole made by the rocket. The impact must have damaged deck beams adjacent to the hole.

Too bad we can't get a drone's-eye view now, because the hole after they cut that piece out must be much larger.

Offline GeneBelcher

• Colorado
  • Liked: 22
  • Likes Given: 253
They still haven't raised that one thruster. Wonder what's up with that.

Offline litton4

• Liked: 396
  • Likes Given: 149
Think of the Yorktown before the Battle of Midway.

Not sure this is quite as compelling...
And, since Yorktown was sunk during the battle, we don't want the same result!

- Ed kyle

That reminds me of a quote I read from a WW II US seaman, later in the war, when UK Aircraft Carriers were deployed in the Pacific Theater.

After a kamikaze attack, where a British Carrier had been struck on the flight deck, and just carried on with operations:

"When a US carrier is struck by a kamikaze, it's back to the 'States for 6 months R&R. When a limey carrier is struck, it's a case of 'sweepers, man your brooms'. "

British carriers had reinforced, armour plate flight decks........

« Last Edit: 03/17/2016 05:48 pm by litton4 »
Dave Condliffe

Offline CyndyC

The deck piece being moved in the video looks much bigger than the original hole made by the rocket. The impact must have damaged deck beams adjacent to the hole.

Too bad we can't get a drone's-eye view now, because the hole after they cut that piece out must be much larger.

Worse yet, the lifted piece looked to be from only one quadrant of the hole area.

Looking more closely a 2nd time full screen, there are quite a few boards covering an area much larger than the original hole, and still a larger actual hole section uncovered, although some or all of the boards may be there just to protect undamaged deck from the machinery, not to keep people or machinery from falling inside.
"Either lead, follow, or get out of the way." -- quote of debatable origin tweeted by Ted Turner and previously seen on his desk

Offline CyndyC

Could be just an extra measure to keep the ASDS stabilized, since that thruster is too far from the hole to think it was damaged.
"Either lead, follow, or get out of the way." -- quote of debatable origin tweeted by Ted Turner and previously seen on his desk

Offline robertross

• Canadian Member
  • Westphal, Nova Scotia
  • Liked: 659
  • Likes Given: 7692

Could be just an extra measure to keep the ASDS stabilized, since that thruster is too far from the hole to think it was damaged.

No, but the cooler(s) on top of the containers sustained damage, and possibly some hydraulic lines. They might be waiting on technical help or parts to get that fixed before testing/operating it.

Offline Kabloona

• Velocitas Eradico
  • Fortress of Solitude
Someone on Reddit says he'll be down there Sunday with a drone to take aerial video, so maybe we'll see some footage from him this weekend.
« Last Edit: 03/17/2016 08:52 pm by Kabloona »

Offline CameronD

• Melbourne, Australia
    • Norton Consultants

Worse yet, the lifted piece looked to be from only one quadrant of the hole area.

Looking more closely a 2nd time full screen, there are quite a few boards covering an area much larger than the original hole, and still a larger actual hole section uncovered, although some or all of the boards may be there just to protect undamaged deck from the machinery, not to keep people or machinery from falling inside.

That all makes sense.  The octaweb is a fairly large chunk of metal, and, at the speed it was likely going to punch a hole like that, the 'unseen' damage to structural supports like girders and deck beams could be pretty extensive.

Even if a beam is only "bent a bit" it would still have to be cut out and replaced because there'd be no way to straighten it in-situ without stressing something else and, quite frankly, it's the easiest/cheapest way to do it.  Other sections of deck might also be removed to gain better access to the part they need to fix.

In summary:  What you're looking at is the first stage of a re-build of a section of the barge deck and substructure from the inside out.  We'll know when they're nearly done when the new deck plate(s) arrive.  McD Marine likely not only know about it, but insisted it be done this way - all paid for by the insurers.

« Last Edit: 03/17/2016 09:34 pm by CameronD »

Offline Herb Schaltegger

In summary:  What you're looking at is the first stage of a re-build of a section of the barge deck and substructure from the inside out.  We'll know when they're nearly done when the new deck plate(s) arrive.  McD Marine likely not only know about it, but insisted it be done this way - all paid for by the insurers.

After which, insurance premiums will rise for either SpaceX (if they insure directly) or McD Marine (who will pass along costs to SpaceX through their leasing contract). All part of the risks of trying something new.
Ad astra per aspirin ...

Offline Kabloona

• Velocitas Eradico
  • Fortress of Solitude

Also, my source at McDonough tells me ABS is supervising when McDonough people are not on site, so ABS will have a say too in the extent/quality of repairs.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography