Author Topic: SpaceX F9 : CSG-2 : CCSFS SLC-40 : 31 January 2022 (23:11 UTC)  (Read 102086 times)

Offline gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
  • Liked: 11357
  • Likes Given: 5072
Discussion Thread for CSG-2 mission.

NSF Threads for CSG-2 : Discussion
NSF Articles for CSG-2 :

Successful launch January 31, 2022 at 23:11 UTC (6:11 pm EST) on Falcon 9 (booster 1052-3) from Cape Canaveral Space Force Station SLC-40 to SSO.  Successful booster landing at LZ-1.

CSG-2 (Cosmo-Skymed Second Generation 2) is a synthetic aperture radar satellite being built by Thales Alenia for the Italian government.  CSG-2 will mass about 2200kg.

SpaceX is targeting Thursday, January 27 for launch of the COSMO-SkyMed Second Generation FM2 mission to low Earth orbit from Space Launch Complex 40 (SLC-40) at Cape Canaveral Space Force Station in Florida.

The instantaneous launch window is at 6:11 p.m. EST, or 23:11 UTC, and a back up opportunity is available on Friday, January 28 with the same window. The Falcon 9 first stage booster supporting this mission previously supported the launch of Arabsat-6A and STP-2. After stage separation, Falcon 9 will return to Earth and land on Landing Zone 1 (LZ-1) at Cape Canaveral Space Force Station.

One half of the fairings supporting this mission previously supported Transporter-1, Transporter-2, and one Starlink mission, and the other half previously supported SAOCOM 1B, Transporter-2, and one Starlink mission.

https://earth.esa.int/eogateway/missions/cosmo-skymed-sg-overview
CSG-2 on Gunter's Space Page

CSG-2 is listed by most manifests as launching on Vega-C.  A recent filing for ground station support shows it as launching on a Falcon 9 from Florida NET November.  A document on the Italian Space Agency's site that has a 2021 date shows it as launching before the end of 2021.

confirmation
https://www.asi.it/en/earth-science/cosmo-skymed/

...The second COSMO SkyMed Second Generation satellite (CSG-2) was planned to be launched with VEGA-C within 2021, but the launcher development has been impacted by the VV15 and VV17 failures and, above all, by the COVID pandemic. The delays, postponing the VEGA-C Maiden Flight to Q1 2022, with a consequent tight schedule of launches in 2022, made the  launch period of CSG-2 no longer compatible with the needs of the COSMO Mission. Since Arianespace backlog was already full on Soyuz and Ariane systems in 2021, it was not possible to have a European back-up solution compliant with the CSG-2 schedule, thus an alternative solution with the US provider SPACE X has been adopted allowing to keep the CSG-2 launch within the current year. ...

Other SpaceX resources on NASASpaceflight:
   SpaceX News Articles (Recent)
   SpaceX News Articles from 2006 (Including numerous exclusive Elon interviews)
   SpaceX Dragon Articles
   SpaceX Missions Section (with Launch Manifest and info on past and future missions)
   L2 SpaceX Section
« Last Edit: 01/31/2022 11:47 pm by gongora »

Offline Rik ISS-fan

• the Netherlands
  • Liked: 528
  • Likes Given: 201
Re: SpaceX F9 : CSG-2 : Florida : NET Nov. 2021
« Reply #1 on: 10/03/2021 09:08 pm »
AUCH, that's a tough one for ELV/Avio. CSG2 was planned as one of the first payloads for Vega C. ELV/Avio lost this launch because of the mistakes they made with Vega. (VV15 & VV17). Why couldn't Italy wait for half a year longer (H2 2022)?
Arianespace couldn't offer something else, thus SpaceX was the best available solution. (Though painful for European launch industrie)

Can someone explain why CSG-2 launches from Florida instead of from California Vandenberg?
Isn't SpaceX rolling out polar starlink, and couldn't CSG-2 share a launch with several Starlink satellites.
AFAIK; The dogleg maneuver required from Florida reduces the payload capability. So less Starlink satellites can ride along when launching from Florida compared to launching from California. Why is Florida favored anyway?
« Last Edit: 10/03/2021 09:12 pm by Rik ISS-fan »

Offline gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
  • Liked: 11357
  • Likes Given: 5072
« Reply #2 on: 10/03/2021 09:20 pm »
SpaceX has a NASA launch from Vandy in the same timeframe.  Travel to Florida is shorter.  SpaceX has a much higher launch cadence in Florida.  The SSO Starlinks are currently set to launch from Florida.

CSG is going to a higher orbit than Starlink, I really wouldn't want it to be dumping a big payload adapter and tension rods at 600-km for a Starlink rideshare (unless they want to do a 5 burn second stage mission to deploy the rideshares lower).

Offline soltasto

• Italy, Earth
  • Liked: 891
  • Likes Given: 40
« Reply #3 on: 10/03/2021 09:45 pm »
I agree with gongora.  It will probably by a mission very similar to SAOCOM 1B: same altitude, same inclination, somewhat lower mass. Actually, it will be part, as the SAOCOM satellites, of the SIASGE constellation (Italian-Argentine System of Satellites for Emergency Management).

I wouldn't be surprised if they will carry some rideshare satellites, maybe even some expected from the Transporter-3 mission if they are ready and want the higher altitude. This would leave more mass for starlinks on Transporter-3 if SpaceX want them on, and will also help with a less crowded deployment.

Offline baldusi

• Buenos Aires, Argentina
  • Liked: 2510
  • Likes Given: 7967
« Reply #4 on: 10/04/2021 03:39 am »
I think that launching from the Cape is easier for foreign officials to get into that base.

Offline wannamoonbase

• Elite Veteran
  • Denver, CO
    • U.S. Metric Association
  • Liked: 2532
  • Likes Given: 3234
« Reply #5 on: 10/04/2021 04:10 am »
Short notice get for SpaceX.  Impressive. 

Superheavy + Starship the final push to launch commit!

Offline StraumliBlight

• UK
  • Liked: 302
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #6 on: 10/04/2021 06:36 am »
https://fcc.report/IBFS/SES-STA-INTR2021-03415/13325354

CSG-2 is the second generation earth observation science satellites launched by ESA to serve the European Union. CSG-2 will be launched from Cape Canaveral Florida on a SpaceX Falcon-9 no earlier than November 18th, 2021 at 23:11:12 UTC.

Offline zubenelgenubi

• Global Moderator
  • Arc to Arcturus, then Spike to Spica
  • Sometimes it feels like Trantor in the time of Hari Seldon
  • Liked: 4790
  • Likes Given: 41483
Re: SpaceX F9 : CSG-2 : Florida : NET November 2021
« Reply #7 on: 10/25/2021 06:03 am »
Cross-post:
SpX-23           LC-39A    August 29 UTC
Inspiration4  LC-39A    September 16
Crew-3           LC-39A    October 30
CSG-2            SLC-40?  November 18
IXPE               LC-39A    December 9
SpX-24           LC-39A   December 21
Turksat 5B                     late 2021

We're approaching the end of October, with no announcement of the next Florida Starlink launch. 

There is also a lack of launches assigned to SLC-40.

My hypothesis: The next Starlink launch will be NET November, or even later.  The first SLC-40 launch in several months will be the CSG-2 launch.

Further regarding CSG-2 and SLC-40: All (contemporary) Florida polar launches thus far have been aboard Falcon 9's launched from SLC-40.

Is there any indication that CSG-2 has shipped to the Cape?
« Last Edit: 10/25/2021 06:18 am by zubenelgenubi »
Support your local planetarium! (COVID-panic and forward: Now more than ever.)
My current avatar is saying "i wants to go uppies!"

Offline lenny97

Re: SpaceX F9 : CSG-2 : Florida : NET November 2021
« Reply #8 on: 10/25/2021 09:23 pm »
Cross-post:
SpX-23           LC-39A    August 29 UTC
Inspiration4  LC-39A    September 16
Crew-3           LC-39A    October 30
CSG-2            SLC-40?  November 18
IXPE               LC-39A    December 9
SpX-24           LC-39A   December 21
Turksat 5B                     late 2021

We're approaching the end of October, with no announcement of the next Florida Starlink launch. 

There is also a lack of launches assigned to SLC-40.

My hypothesis: The next Starlink launch will be NET November, or even later.  The first SLC-40 launch in several months will be the CSG-2 launch.

Further regarding CSG-2 and SLC-40: All (contemporary) Florida polar launches thus far have been aboard Falcon 9's launched from SLC-40.

Is there any indication that CSG-2 has shipped to the Cape?

According to info that ASI has given during a conference in my University here in Italy, COSMO-SkyMed 2 (CSG-2) has been already shipped to the Cape.
I asked some details on that today through Univ. contacts, will let you know if i have some news...

Offline lenny97

« Reply #9 on: 10/25/2021 10:18 pm »
AUCH, that's a tough one for ELV/Avio. CSG2 was planned as one of the first payloads for Vega C. ELV/Avio lost this launch because of the mistakes they made with Vega. (VV15 & VV17). Why couldn't Italy wait for half a year longer (H2 2022)?
Arianespace couldn't offer something else, thus SpaceX was the best available solution. (Though painful for European launch industrie)

Can someone explain why CSG-2 launches from Florida instead of from California Vandenberg?
Isn't SpaceX rolling out polar starlink, and couldn't CSG-2 share a launch with several Starlink satellites.
AFAIK; The dogleg maneuver required from Florida reduces the payload capability. So less Starlink satellites can ride along when launching from Florida compared to launching from California. Why is Florida favored anyway?

The real problem has been the first VEGA failure.
After VV15 there were already rumors of the mission being rescheduled on another vehicle.
Shortly after there was VV17, which called into question many, many things about the management of launches in French Guiana.
For the uninitiated, VEGA is assembled there before it is launched, and there have been more discussions about the companies dealing with quality control and safety.
After all, two out of three failed flights would alarm anyone.
After VV17 the launch had to be moved by force (despite political pressure) ESA had no space in the schedule and, much less, a competitive rocket (you probably don't want to launch a 300mln satellite on a 150mln rocket).
With the delays due to Covid, and all this situation, they opted for SpaceX.
But pay attention to one detail: the initial negotiation with SpaceX took place BEFORE VV17... ... ...
It is still obvious that Italy wants to support VEGA & VEGA-C, after all we build them, you cannot but trust your own rocket.
And we do! We trust ASI, we trust AVIO... We know how they works!
BUT: ever wondered how VEGA is handled after manufacturing process?
After being manufactured, VEGA is not like F9. It must be shipped to French Guiana, then assembled, then payload mating, and after that can be rolled out to launch pad. Then FRR and final checks, with safety acceptance review.
And in all of this process: WHO does WHAT? AVIO (the IT manufacturer) is not involved like you could think. But we're going into management, costs and political issues of Arianespace. Imma stop here, each draw their own conclusions...
Long story short: the problems has been launch failures due to "outside companies", delays, and the need to launch right away.
« Last Edit: 10/25/2021 10:19 pm by lenny97 »

Offline jeffkruse

• Liked: 33
  • Likes Given: 122
« Reply #10 on: 10/28/2021 07:38 pm »
The first stage will be landing at LZ1?!!!  It will be at 6:11pm, do you think there will be enough light to see it before the landing burn?

Offline zubenelgenubi

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: 10/28/2021 08:08 pm »
The first stage will be landing at LZ1?!!!
Source?

Offline jeffkruse

« Reply #12 on: 10/28/2021 09:15 pm »
Source?
SpaceXNow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline soltasto

• Italy, Earth
  • Liked: 891
  • Likes Given: 40
« Reply #13 on: 10/28/2021 09:39 pm »
Source?

Even without a source, at 2205 kg, it kinda has to be a RTLS missions. Unless it will have secondary payloads.

Another possibility that also occurred to me is that it's going to fly as the top port payload on Transporter-3, as no FCC permit has been requested yet.

Offline zubenelgenubi

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: 10/29/2021 02:37 am »
Source?
SpaceXNow
Good.  We don't do updates without a source here at NSF, as I hope you noticed.

(If it's a confidential source, then write so.  Or, post in the appropriate thread in L2.  Or message Chris Bergin using the private message function available in his profile.)

So, source: https://spacexnow.com/upcoming.php

However...There is no statement in that CSG-2 launch entry regarding 1st stage landing at all: at sea, return to launch site, or expendable.

In short, we, the spaceflight enthusiast community, don't know yet. The source that you gave is not (yet) an update. It is, at this time, a point of discussion.

Offline jeffkruse

« Reply #15 on: 10/29/2021 03:28 am »
Source?
SpaceXNow

(If it's a confidential source, then write so.  Or, post in the appropriate thread in L2.  Or message Chris Bergin using the private message function available in his profile.)

However...There is no statement in that CSG-2 launch entry regarding 1st stage landing at all: at sea, return to launch site, or expendable.

In short, we, the spaceflight enthusiast community, don't know yet. The source that you gave is not (yet) an update. It is, at this time, a point of discussion.
I didn’t see that this was an update thread.  Where does it say that?

Offline jeffkruse

« Reply #16 on: 10/29/2021 03:31 am »
Source?
SpaceXNow

Also I put a ? mark because I was hoping someone would confirm that.

Offline Orbiter

• Florida
  • Liked: 1376
  • Likes Given: 1333
« Reply #17 on: 10/29/2021 03:54 am »
The first stage will be landing at LZ1?!!!  It will be at 6:11pm, do you think there will be enough light to see it before the landing burn?

A 6:11pm launch might produce a "twilight effect" like seen on Inspiration4 and Crew-2 recently too.
Astronomer & launch photographer

Offline ZachS09

• Space Savant
  • Roanoke, TX
  • Liked: 1908
  • Likes Given: 1792
« Reply #18 on: 10/29/2021 04:02 am »

A 6:11pm launch might produce a "twilight effect" like seen on Inspiration4 and Crew-2 recently too.

At the exact time of 23:11:12 UTC (6:11:12 PM EST), it'll be around 45 minutes after sunset.
Liftoff for St. Jude's! Go Dragon, Go Falcon, Godspeed Inspiration4!

Offline lenny97

« Reply #19 on: 10/29/2021 01:13 pm »

Also I put a ? mark because I was hoping someone would confirm that.

At the moment, ASI is avoiding any type of comment or reply to questions.

The only response we received on October 27th was: "an update via website article is scheduled for tomorrow".
I have some info from internal sources but it has been pointed out that this is an update thread, so I am waiting for more official info.  :)

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement SkyTale Software GmbH
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography