Author Topic: SpaceX F9/Crew Dragon : Axiom AX-2 : KSC LC-39A : 21 May 2023 (21:37 UTC)  (Read 187284 times)

Offline jpo234

• Liked: 2280
  • Likes Given: 2184
Discussion thread for AX-2 mission.

Crewed launch scheduled for May 21, 2023 at 21:37 UTC (5:37 pm EDT), on SpaceX Falcon 9 booster 1080.1, aboard Crew Dragon Endeavour (C212-2), from LC-39A at Kennedy Space Center.

Crew: Peggy Whitson, John Shoffner, (two Saudi astronauts)

Axiom just announced AX-2, but they don't explicitly say that AX-2 will use a Dragon (though this is very likely, since both, Whitson and Shoffner, are in the backup crew for AX-1).

https://www.axiomspace.com/press-release/ax2

FST Edit to add:

Record-holding astronaut Peggy Whitson and mission pilot John Shoffner to lead Axiom Space’s Ax-2 mission to enable new research in space

25 May 2021

Houston – Axiom Space on Tuesday revealed the commander and pilot of its second commercial mission proposed to fly to the International Space Station and announced the proposed crew’s intended research while on orbit. Axiom will compete to fly the Ax-2 mission when NASA announces the next private astronaut mission opportunity. If awarded, Ax-2 will further the Houston-based space infrastructure leader’s expansion of the commercial human spaceflight market and cement the research opportunities it can make possible for private industry in low-Earth orbit.

Whitson, one of the world’s most revered astronauts who during a 22-year career at NASA became the ISS’ first female commander, the first ISS Science Officer, and set and still holds the American record for time spent in space, will return to flight as a private citizen and commander of Ax-2. Alongside her as the planned mission pilot will be John Shoffner – a pilot, champion GT racer, and active supporter of life science research from Knoxville, Tenn.

Whitson and Shoffner will train together in Axiom’s standard astronaut program to prepare them to lead the flight. In addition to their flight training, they will learn how to translate terrestrial single-cell genomic methods to an orbital science process in collaboration with Pleasanton, Calif.-based 10x Genomics, a global leader in developing products to master biology for advancing human health whose offerings are used by all of the top 100 global research institutions.

“I’m thrilled to get to fly to space again and lead one of the first of these pioneering missions, marking a new era of human spaceflight,” Whitson said. “But even more than that, I’m eager for the chance on Ax-2 to open space up to the first full generation of private astronauts and directly link John to the research opportunities on the ISS. In the time we’ve already spent together as crewmates, it’s clear to me that John will be an excellent pilot and researcher. It’s a pleasure to take him under my wing.”

The mission will complete an unconventional path to space for Shoffner, a lifelong athlete and health & science enthusiast.

"Growing up, I closely followed every NASA flight of Gemini and Apollo,” Shoffner said. "Now to experience astronaut training teamed with Peggy is an honor. I am also excited about our upcoming work with 10x Genomics in this first step towards making their single-cell technologies available to researchers in a microgravity environment. I look forward to the process of testing and validating this technology for future groundbreaking work in low-Earth orbit.”

In addition to standard training on ISS systems, Shoffner will receive specialized spacecraft operations training to assist the commander during flight as pilot of the crew capsule and develop with Whitson the protocols necessary to conduct single-cell sequencing experiments in microgravity.

Whitson and Shoffner are also currently training to serve as backup commander and pilot for Axiom’s Ax-1, the first-ever fully private mission to the ISS slated for launch on a SpaceX Crew Dragon in early 2022. As with this proposed Ax-2 mission, Axiom will also compete for the opportunity to fly commercial missions to the ISS approximately every six months, subject to NASA approval and as traffic to the ISS allows.

“Humankind’s expansion off the planet, and the benefits it can bring back, will only be sustained by building and serving demand for expanded life and work in Low Earth Orbit,” Axiom CEO Michael Suffredini said. “There is no one better than Peggy – who would be history’s second private mission commander to the ISS – to lead the way on a mission so central to that plan, and we are thrilled to have beside her a pilot as driven and committed to this vision as John to cement this new era.”
« Last Edit: 05/05/2023 07:01 pm by zubenelgenubi »
You want to be inspired by things. You want to wake up in the morning and think the future is going to be great. That's what being a spacefaring civilization is all about. It's about believing in the future and believing the future will be better than the past. And I can't think of anything more exciting than being out there among the stars.

Online FutureSpaceTourist

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
  • Liked: 81676
  • Likes Given: 36941
https://twitter.com/astropeggy/status/1397207488588619783

Out of this world excited about being named Commander of the Axiom 2 flight to the @Space_Station!! I am looking forward to showing my pilot, @johnpshoffner, some space ninja secrets too. #Ax2

Offline hektor

• Liked: 1193
  • Likes Given: 54
Well they do not mention the vehicle so I would keep it in an Axiom thread till it s officialized
« Last Edit: 05/25/2021 04:19 pm by hektor »

Worth noting, one of the images apparently released to the press (Twitter link below, specific photo attached) contains the 2 announced crew members in front of SpaceX HQ. I have no idea what, if anything that means in context, but thought it might be relevant to the conversation here.

https://twitter.com/thesheetztweetz/status/1397217184007458820
« Last Edit: 05/25/2021 04:27 pm by johnlage »

Offline hektor

I have a tendency to believe Peggy Whitson is capable of being back up commander on one vehicle and six month later commander on another one.

Offline billh

• Houston
  • Liked: 1098
  • Likes Given: 792
Fantastic to see Peggy Whitson going to space again! Not quite ready to hang up her helmet, it would appear. An accomplished astronaut and holder of multiple records, including most time spent in space by any NASA astronaut.

Offline MDMoery

• Liked: 236
  • Likes Given: 5
Fantastic to see Peggy Whitson going to space again! Not quite ready to hang up her helmet, it would appear. An accomplished astronaut and holder of multiple records, including most time spent in space by any NASA astronaut.

Heck, she's only in 9th place for most time in space for anyone.

Offline SMS

• Regular
    • Astronauts & their spaceflights
  • Liked: 2164
  • Likes Given: 249
https://twitter.com/johnpshoffner/status/1397356809384599554

Just hanging around with my commander @AstroPeggy The training for Ax-2 has officially begun.
Axiom_Space #axiomspace #privateastronaut #astronaut #zerog #nasa
« Last Edit: 05/26/2021 01:31 am by SMS »
---
SMS ;-).

Offline su27k

• Liked: 9100
  • Likes Given: 885
I assume John Shoffner is a customer of Axiom? Not too clear from the press release.

Offline hektor

How do you embed an Instagram video ?

Instagram post by John Shoffner

Online FutureSpaceTourist

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
  • Liked: 81676
  • Likes Given: 36941
Well they do not mention the vehicle so I would keep it in an Axiom thread till it s officialized

True it’s not yet officially Dragon, but even though Peggy has flown Soyuz before I don’t see an American being allowed to command a Soyuz (or a Russian a Dragon).
« Last Edit: 05/26/2021 12:19 pm by FutureSpaceTourist »

Offline jpo234

True it’s not yet officially Dragon, but even though Peggy has flown Soyuz before I don’t see an American being allowed to command a Soyuz (or a Russian a Dragon).

Would a Soyuz have to compete for NASA's "private astronaut mission opportunity"? Soyuz would fly with a Russian authorization, wouldn't it?
You want to be inspired by things. You want to wake up in the morning and think the future is going to be great. That's what being a spacefaring civilization is all about. It's about believing in the future and believing the future will be better than the past. And I can't think of anything more exciting than being out there among the stars.

Offline hektor

Actually I was thinking of Starliner

Offline jpo234

Actually I was thinking of Starliner
Only 2 spacecrafts that are fully booked for commercial crew.

Offline hektor

In  one year SpaceX has managed to do three flights with two vehicles. What would prevent Starliner to do the same ?

An this is with the generous assumption that crew commercial needs two Starliner flights a year.
« Last Edit: 05/26/2021 02:34 pm by hektor »

Offline jpo234

In  one year SpaceX has managed to do three flights with two vehicles. What would prevent Starliner to do the same ?

An this is with the generous assumption that crew commercial needs two Starliner flights a year.
They would also need an Atlas V ready to launch. Others here are more qualified, but I doubt there is one available on relative short notice.

Offline Comga

• Liked: 4572
  • Likes Given: 5136
Has Axiom stated the planned mission length for AX-2 and if so, what is it?
(Ditto for AX-1)
What kind of wastrels would dump a perfectly good booster in the ocean after just one use?

Offline scr00chy

• Czechia
    • ElonX.net
  • Liked: 1685
  • Likes Given: 1596
Has Axiom stated the planned mission length for AX-2 and if so, what is it?
(Ditto for AX-1)

10 days total with 8 days on the ISS.

Offline Jansen

• Liked: 2235
  • Likes Given: 373
https://spaceflightnow.com/2021/05/25/whitson-to-command-planned-commercial-flight-to-space-station/
The flight is not yet on the space station schedule. Axiom Space will have to compete for a flight opportunity whenever NASA announces the next “window” for a private visit to the station. But a launch opportunity is expected to open up in the fall 2022 timeframe.

For the AX-2 mission, Whitson and Shoffner plan to test hardware built by 10X Genomics, a biotechnology company that builds equipment for gene sequencing.

“Researchers have been wanting to have this capability on orbit,” Shoffner said. “They currently orbit and test samples and bring them down and then run them on 10X Genomics equipment on Earth. But the sample fidelity can shift between the launch and the recovery. So researchers want this.”
« Last Edit: 05/26/2021 08:37 pm by Jansen »

Is anyone aware of a list tracking dock schedule at the ISS?

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography