Author Topic: SpaceX Falcon 9 : SES 11/Echostar 105 : Oct 11, 2017 : Discussion  (Read 93567 times)

Offline mvpel

• New Hampshire
  • Liked: 1303
  • Likes Given: 1685
Must have roasted the video downlink! Maybe that's what one of those sparks flying was. Wow! I can't wait to see what it looks like in daylight.
"Ugly programs are like ugly suspension bridges: they're much more liable to collapse than pretty ones, because the way humans (especially engineer-humans) perceive beauty is intimately related to our ability to process and understand complexity. A language that makes it hard to write elegant code makes it hard to write good code." - Eric S. Raymond

Offline gideonlow

• Capitola, CA
  • Liked: 109
  • Likes Given: 3962
Wow, I thought that SpaceX had overcooked that one. But yet another great landing.

White-hot/glowing Grid Fins right when the video cut out!  Another perfect landing.  Great job SpaceX!!!

Offline Jdeshetler

• Silicon Valley, CA
  • Liked: 3673
  • Likes Given: 3551
Just like Ironman Movie without CGI......
« Last Edit: 10/11/2017 11:05 pm by Jdeshetler »

Offline jimbowman

• Liked: 60
  • Likes Given: 42
Was it just because it was dark out the heat on the grin fins was more visible? Was the Iridium launch using titanium?
« Last Edit: 10/11/2017 11:06 pm by jimbowman »

Offline clegg78

• I play KSP, so I know things about rockets and stuff... :)
  • Denver, CO
  • Liked: 92
  • Likes Given: 15
Must have roasted the video downlink! Maybe that's what one of those sparks flying was. Wow! I can't wait to see what it looks like in daylight.
Could also be the amount of plasma that was wrapping around the stage probably caused the dropout...  I am impressed the hardware on the bottom of the stage handled that... I wonder if they were doing some kind of different entry profile to test the edge scenarios of what these stages can handle in the build up to the Block 5?  That definitely looked different than past high energy entries.
Buy the Ticket, Take the Ride - Hunter S Thompson

Offline Pete

• Cubicle
  • Liked: 1028
  • Likes Given: 395
I have the vague feeling that those gridfins are NOT going to be reusable!
That was the hottest entry I've seen yet.

Offline FutureSpaceTourist

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
  • Liked: 81685
  • Likes Given: 36941
This mark's the first time two 1st stage Falcon's are on barges out on the ocean at the same time.

I think it’s the second time - there was BulgariaSat-1 and Iridium 2 in late June, also only 2 days apart.

Offline andrewsdanj

• Liked: 105
  • Likes Given: 51
Holy glowing gridfins, batman! Sheesh that looked toasty.

Online catdlr

• Enthusiast since the Redstones
  • Marina del Rey, California, USA
  • Liked: 8822
  • Likes Given: 7826
This mark's the first time two 1st stage Falcon's are on barges out on the ocean at the same time.

I think it’s the second time - there was BulgariaSat-1 and Iridium 2 in late June, also only 2 days apart.

Ah, yes, thanks, FutureSpaceTourist.
« Last Edit: 10/11/2017 11:10 pm by catdlr »
Tony De La Rosa, ...I'm no Feline Dealer!! I move mountains.  but I'm better known for "I think it's highly sexual." Japanese to English Translation.

Offline mvpel

• New Hampshire
  • Liked: 1303
  • Likes Given: 1685
Could also be the amount of plasma that was wrapping around the stage probably caused the dropout...  I am impressed the hardware on the bottom of the stage handled that... I wonder if they were doing some kind of different entry profile to test the edge scenarios of what these stages can handle in the build up to the Block 5?  That definitely looked different than past high energy entries.

I was thinking the same thing about the plasma, but then got worried when it didn't pick up again. Held my breath until I started hearing the descent callouts.

I was really amazed to see that it was showing 6,000 km/h when the entry burn ended, is that a record?
"Ugly programs are like ugly suspension bridges: they're much more liable to collapse than pretty ones, because the way humans (especially engineer-humans) perceive beauty is intimately related to our ability to process and understand complexity. A language that makes it hard to write elegant code makes it hard to write good code." - Eric S. Raymond

Offline Bargemanos

• The Netherlands
  • Liked: 108
  • Likes Given: 684
Wow, thought this one was lost.
Glad it landed..

One for the "i love space(x) and have no life books" (take no offend, i don't)wife))
« Last Edit: 10/11/2017 11:11 pm by Bargemanos »

Offline ehb

• Liked: 222
  • Likes Given: 563
Was it just because it was dark out the heat on the grin fins was more visible? Was the Iridium launch using titanium?
Iridium was also aluminum
Was stated during the launch webcast due to lower energy trajectory.

This SES-11 was obviously not a lower energy trajectory, so we can assume they are using (or rather burning) up their stock of aluminum ones.

Offline HVM

• Finland
  • Liked: 1203
  • Likes Given: 596
Yeah, those gridfins were bright as f@*k! And visible plasma.

Offline clegg78

• I play KSP, so I know things about rockets and stuff... :)
  • Denver, CO
  • Liked: 92
  • Likes Given: 15

I was thinking the same thing about the plasma, but then got worried when it didn't pick up again. Held my breath until I started hearing the descent callouts.

I was really amazed to see that it was showing 6,000 km/h when the entry burn ended, is that a record?
I am sure some of the spacex stats geeks around here will have that info soon!   But yeah 6000 seems pretty quick.  Also since they arent doing 3 engine landing burn attempts anymore (for now) They could be hunting for ways to trim down on the entry burn requirements by seeing how little they need to slow the stage down :) "This one wasnt burned up that badly?  Hmmm, cut the burn off another 2 seconds early and see what happens!  Its just a block 3!"
Buy the Ticket, Take the Ride - Hunter S Thompson

Offline gideonlow

• Capitola, CA
  • Liked: 109
  • Likes Given: 3962

The heating also seemed asymmetric, with the right-hand fin heating first.  I haven't seen this level of detail in a GTO/ASDS launch/landing before, so maybe that wasn't new, but I think you're on to something.

Offline Rebel44

• Liked: 546
  • Likes Given: 2012

During BulgariaSat-1 launch 1st stage was traveling at 6600km/h hen the entry burn ended.

Offline ulm_atms

• Rocket Junky
  • To boldly go where no government has gone before.
  • Liked: 1565
  • Likes Given: 770
Ready for a scary thought....BulgariaSat-1 was going ~600km/h faster at the end of the entry burn then this one!!

Offline Bargemanos

• The Netherlands
  • Liked: 108
  • Likes Given: 684
Correct me if i'm wrong but the deployment of the fins was rather early not?

Offline HankinNM

• Mountainair, NM
  • Liked: 17
  • Likes Given: 29
Did anyone have the audio on the livestream go out for a few minutes?
Not an engineer or a mathematician.  Just a rabid space/astronomy freak and Spacex 'groupie'.

Online Galactic Penguin SST

It seems that telemetry (not just video) from the 1st stage was lost towards the end of the entry burn (?) and those monitoring had to use external sources to keep track of it (??).
Had that happened before AFTS on that stage had been safe, would it blew the stage up?  :-\
Astronomy & spaceflight geek penguin. In a relationship w/ Space Shuttle Discovery. Current Priority: Chasing the Chinese Spaceflight Wonder Egg & A Certain Chinese Mars Rover

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography