Author Topic: History of designing the Shuttle  (Read 10478 times)

Offline Dobbins

• Propellerhead
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
RE: History of designing the Shuttle
« Reply #20 on: 12/08/2005 11:54 PM »
Oh this is getting off topic.

The notion that the government can do everything better is just as absurd as the fantasy world many of the alt.spacers live in.

The first "alt.space" company was AT&T when they built the privately developed Telstar satellite. Kennedy and the Democratic congress created the first "alt.space" startup in 1962 with the Communications Satellite Act creating Comstat a private company. Unfortunately that Democratic party no longer exists having morphed into something very different in the late 1960s.

There are some things that private businesses can do better than the government, something that Kennedy had enough sense to recognize. This would include the routine stuff that is needed to support a space program, something that Dr. Griffin recognizes. Hauling supplies and perhaps even personal up to the ISS is just the sort of thing that private business is far better equipped to handle than a government program.

However that fact doesn't mean that private business can or will do everything that needs to be done. Businesses exist for one reason and one reason only, to make a profit. They will never do the science or exploration end of space and NASA will always be needed to pick up this part of creating a space fairing nation.

I'm tired of the space startups that are better at making new promises than they are at fulfilling the ones they made last year. I'm even tireder of the alt.space fans that swallow any and every promise made as if these companies had a long track record of doing everything they claim they are going to do. That does NOT mean that there is no room in space for the private sector. There is and one day it will be bigger than all of the world's government programs combined. However that day is not tomorrow, or just a few years away, more than likely it's a few decades away at the soonest.

John B. Dobbins

Offline Launch Fan

• Veteran
  • Liked: 1
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #21 on: 12/14/2005 11:25 PM »
Sergi Manstov - 6/12/2005  8:27 AM

Orbiter Obvious - 3/12/2005  7:18 PM

Could they have chosen a better design?

I do like to say the Buran is a better version, but there is not massive differences. The Energia booster and automated controls are very important differences.

It might of been different if the Soviets had created the Shuttle first and we had the learning curve we did the work on first.

Offline Hotol

• Regular
« Reply #22 on: 12/21/2005 01:09 PM »
Here's a question. If Von Braun is classed as the man who invented Apollo, who invented the STS?

Offline Dobbins

• Propellerhead
« Reply #23 on: 12/21/2005 03:40 PM »
Hotol - 21/12/2005  9:09 AM

Here's a question. If Von Braun is classed as the man who invented Apollo, who invented the STS?

Von Braun is the man who "invented" the Saturn V, not the Apollo spaceship.

Max Faget did the DC3 design for what became the shuttle. He is also the person who did the basic designs for the Mercury, Gemini, and Apollo capsules, and the inventor of the LES that was used on Mercury and Apollo. The Cosmonauts who were saved by the Soyuz 18 LES credited Faget for saving their lives because the Soviets copied Faget's LES design.

John B. Dobbins

Offline Flightstar

• Lurking around OPF High Bay 2
  • KSC, Florida
  • Liked: 11
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #24 on: 12/21/2005 04:15 PM »
And we still don't know how he managed to to get his F1 engines to remain stable on the injector plate. They just decided to remain stable during testing, the biggest UA in a positive style and totally crucial to America reaching the Moon.

Offline Launch Fan

• Veteran
  • Liked: 1
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #25 on: 12/21/2005 06:39 PM »
You mean the problem sorted itself but no one knows why?

Offline publiusr

• Elite Veteran
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #26 on: 12/21/2005 07:24 PM »
Glushko made use of multiple chambers with RD-170 and that seems to work just fine--and has a bit more thrust than the F-1.

Offline NASA_Twix_JSC

• Supporting FDOs since 1999
  • Liked: 2
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #27 on: 12/21/2005 07:50 PM »
publiusr - 21/12/2005  2:24 PM

Glushko made use of multiple chambers with RD-170 and that seems to work just fine--and has a bit more thrust than the F-1.

Very true sir!

Offline Hotol

• Regular
« Reply #28 on: 12/22/2005 09:16 AM »
Dobbins - 21/12/2005  10:40 AM

Hotol - 21/12/2005  9:09 AM

Von Braun is the man who "invented" the Saturn V, not the Apollo spaceship.

Max Faget did the DC3 design for what became the shuttle. He is also the person who did the basic designs for the Mercury, Gemini, and Apollo capsules, and the inventor of the LES that was used on Mercury and Apollo. The Cosmonauts who were saved by the Soyuz 18 LES credited Faget for saving their lives because the Soviets copied Faget's LES design.

Thanks. Wasn't aware of Faget. I've been reading some links about him, what a man, involved in nearly every US space vehicle. Sadly died last year.

I'm sure it's just my ignorance and lack of knownledge, but this man deserves to be alongside Von Braun in stature, and I hope he is.

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #29 on: 12/22/2005 09:55 AM »
I'm sure he was very well known during the heady days. I knew about him, but wasn't as appreciative of his contributions until after reading of his sad passing.

Offline Hotol

• Regular
« Reply #30 on: 12/22/2005 11:00 AM »
I'm glad I know about him now.

Tags: