Author Topic: Whatever happened to the X-43?  (Read 4448 times)

Offline Launch Fan

• Veteran
  • Liked: 1
  • Likes Given: 9
Whatever happened to the X-43?
« on: 11/21/2005 12:52 PM »
It seemed to have a very successful flight and then went off the radar. Are there any future plans, such as the X-43C I think it was going to be?

Offline nethegauner

• Awaiting flight assignment since 1975
  • Germany
  • Likes Given: 0
RE: Whatever happened to the X-43?
« Reply #1 on: 11/21/2005 01:11 PM »
Well, when wondering about the status of a project, one has to ask one simple question: does it bring NASA any closer to the Moon or to Mars? If the answer is no, then the project has been cancelled for sure ... or will be in the very near future.

My guess is that the X-43 is no longer being supported.

Offline James Lowe1

• New York City
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #2 on: 11/21/2005 02:24 PM »
I think it's still going, but just delayed due to funding. Not totally sure.

Offline nacnud

• Extreme Veteran
  • Liked: 220
  • Likes Given: 145
« Reply #3 on: 11/21/2005 02:32 PM »
I think it may well have been cancelled. As far as I know the hypersonic research has moved on to a USAF JP-7 vehicle.

Offline newsartist

« Reply #4 on: 11/21/2005 11:37 PM »
You are correct in that a new vehicle is picking up where the X-43 left off.

The designation is X-51, and it is testing using a hydrocarbon fuel, JP-7 as mentioned. This will give it an engine burn of minutes rather than seconds, ...if they can get it to work. But that "if" is what X-Planes are all about.

Like the X-43s, the X-51 will be rocket boosted, unmanned and expended on each flight.

http://www.pw.utc.com/pr_011304.asp

Offline realtime

• Extreme Veteran
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #5 on: 11/22/2005 03:44 AM »
That's a different vehicle than the X-43.  Looks like NASA and ATK are continuing work.  X-43B, I think.

http://www.atk.com/NewsReleases2005/2005-10-17-NASA.asp#TopOfPage
http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/stories.pl?ACCT=ind_focus.story&STORY=/www/story/10-17-2005/0004170374&EDATE=MON+Oct+17+2005,+08:30+AM

Well, well, well.  Hypersonic research appears to be alive and well on at least two fronts...

Offline lmike

• Elite Veteran
« Reply #6 on: 11/26/2005 10:17 AM »
It has some military applications (sub-orbital, short notice global deployment of munitions), that's for sure.  As a help in moving tonnnage into the LEO, it's a dead duck.The plusses are the tiny oxidizer savings (who cares?), the minuses are it only kicks in at 7M and has to be boosted by the very same rockets prior to that, and a low thrust to boot, and requires atmosphere (the one thing the rockets have to, conceptually, get out of ASAP)

Offline Launch Fan

• Veteran
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #7 on: 11/26/2005 01:18 PM »
Based on what's kindly been added into this thread, it would seem it's main application would be for fast response bombing of a target many thousands of miles away, without the need of prior deployment (like an Aircraft Carrier moving into position for a cruise strike).

I remember the X-43A was being pushed as a possible commericial airliner technology. Is that still possible with the way the project is moving?

Offline braddock

• NSF Private Space Flight Editor
  • Liked: 11
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #8 on: 11/26/2005 01:36 PM »
Launch Fan - 26/11/2005  9:18 AM

Based on what's kindly been added into this thread, it would seem it's main application would be for fast response bombing of a target many thousands of miles away, without the need of prior deployment (like an Aircraft Carrier moving into position for a cruise strike).

Shortly after the Iraq invasion, there was some talk of converting MinuteMan ICBMs into global strike-anywhere precision munitions...possibly replacing the warhead with nothing but a concrete block, letting impact velocity alone handle the "precision" destruction end of things.

So I guess some customers have a stated desire for such capability.

Offline Dobbins

• Propellerhead
« Reply #9 on: 11/26/2005 01:42 PM »
Launch Fan - 26/11/2005  9:18 AM

I remember the X-43A was being pushed as a possible commericial airliner technology. Is that still possible with the way the project is moving?

The biggest application I see for the X-43 technology is cruise missiles that make the current Tomahawks look like model rockets. Right now a Plane or a ship has to deploy to get within range to fire a cruise missile, an X-43 based missile would be capable of hitting anywhere from the USA.

This will keep the technology classified for some time after deployment.
John B. Dobbins

Offline ADC9

• Veteran
  • France
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #10 on: 11/27/2005 01:05 AM »
Thus could this now become a full USAF program, carried on by NASA and the scramjet guys, but paid for by the Air Force? More funding savings?

Offline realtime

• Extreme Veteran
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #11 on: 12/19/2005 02:46 AM »
ADC9 - 26/11/2005  9:05 PM

Thus could this now become a full USAF program, carried on by NASA and the scramjet guys, but paid for by the Air Force? More funding savings?
Not to be outdone, it looks like the Navy's getting in on the action too:

DARPA Team Achieve First Flight Test Of Liquid Hydrocarbon Fueled Scramjet:

http://www.spacedaily.com/news/rocketscience-05zzzc.html

Same kind of test flight profile as X-43A, only slower (a mere Mach 5.5).  Doesn't look like NASA's involved.  ATK is the prime.

Offline Bruce H

« Reply #12 on: 12/19/2005 03:00 AM »
Ironically, there's a meeting between the Air Force and Lockheed Martin upcoming on four options. I would never give dates or reasons for obvious security reasons, but I wouldn't post this without relevance.

Tags: