Author Topic: Modules currently in SSPF / Webcam updates  (Read 75845 times)

Online DaveS

• Shuttle program observer
  • Sweden
  • Liked: 302
  • Likes Given: 13
Re: Modules currently in SSPF / Webcam updates
« Reply #160 on: 11/03/2009 12:53 PM »
I guess this shot goes into this thread. I guess this is the converted MPLM/PLM in the SSPF. Looks remarkably like the COL.
"For Sardines, space is no problem!"
-1996 Astronaut class slogan

"We're rolling in the wrong direction but for the right reasons"
-USA engineer about the rollback of Discovery prior to the STS-114 Return To Flight mission

Offline glanmor05

• BWFC Fan
  • It's not all tea and medals!
  • Blackpool, England
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #161 on: 11/03/2009 01:02 PM »
I guess this shot goes into this thread. I guess this is the converted MPLM/PLM in the SSPF. Looks remarkably like the COL.

"Converted"?  I thought this work was to take almost a year.  Maybe its 'cos I've not got L2, but I've not seen an update on this for a while.
"Through struggles, to the stars."

Offline Space Pete

« Reply #162 on: 11/03/2009 04:59 PM »
Hi all. I've been trying to figure out what hardware is currently left in the SSPF. This is the list I have come up with - does anybody know if I have missed anything out?

Thanks!

HARDWARE CURRENTLY IN SSPF:

MPLM (Leonardo)
MPLM (Raffaello)
MPLM (Donatello)
Tranquility (Node 3) + Cupola
ELC-4
LMC (x2)

UNKNOWN:
JLE?
ELC-3?
ICC-VLD?
Electronic Engineer by day, NASASpaceflight's ISS Editor by night | Read my NASASpaceflight articles here

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
  • Cape Canaveral Spaceport
  • Liked: 9637
  • Likes Given: 299
« Reply #163 on: 11/03/2009 05:50 PM »

ICC-VLD?
[/quothe ICC would be at the Spacehab facility
« Last Edit: 11/03/2009 05:53 PM by Jim »

Offline Space Pete

« Reply #164 on: 11/03/2009 06:17 PM »
There are definitely two (maybe three) MPLM's currently in the SSPF.

The SSPF Observation Deck feature (that has obviously been updated recently, as the image shows Cupola attached to Node 3) shows two MPLM's currently in the SSPF.
www.nasa.gov/externalflash/TheObservationDeck/index.html

This recent photo showing an ELC for STS-129 being loaded into the payload canister definitely shows two MPLM's in the SSPF. It also shows what I think must be the corner of another MPLM in the bottom-left of the photo:
http://www-pao.ksc.nasa.gov/kscpao/images/medium/2009-5681-m.jpg
« Last Edit: 11/03/2009 08:58 PM by Space Pete »
Electronic Engineer by day, NASASpaceflight's ISS Editor by night | Read my NASASpaceflight articles here

Offline psloss

• Veteran armchair spectator
  • Liked: 1053
  • Likes Given: 475
« Reply #165 on: 11/03/2009 08:50 PM »
There are definitely two (maybe three) MPLM's currently in the SSPF.

The SSPF Observation Deck feature (that has obviously been updated recently, as the image shows Cupola attached to Node 3) shows two MPLM's currently in the SSPF.
www.nasa.gov/externalflash/TheObservationDeck/index.html

This recent photo showing an ELC for STS-129 being loaded into the payload canister definitely shows two MPLM's in the SSPF. It also shows what I think must be the corner of another MPLM in the bottom-left of the photo:
http://www-pao.ksc.nasa.gov/kscpao/images/medium/2009-5681-m.jpg
(Edited out the embedded link -- these are better as attachments.)

Yes, all three units are in the SSPF.  I assume that Leonardo is the unit in the background, closest to the Rack Insertion Device -- given that it is the unit being used for ISS-19A/STS-131.

(And FWIW, the last we read/heard, Leonardo was the unit that was going to be converted to a PLM for ULF-5/STS-133.)

Offline cd-slam

• Singapore
  • Liked: 1
  • Likes Given: 16
« Reply #166 on: 11/03/2009 09:55 PM »
Yes, all three units are in the SSPF.  I assume that Leonardo is the unit in the background, closest to the Rack Insertion Device -- given that it is the unit being used for ISS-19A/STS-131.

(And FWIW, the last we read/heard, Leonardo was the unit that was going to be converted to a PLM for ULF-5/STS-133.)

That's also the last info I could find on this site. I'm not sure whether it needs a reality check because there will only be about 4 1/2 months available between the time Leonardo returns from STS-131 and the time it is needed for STS-133. However there's no mention in the documentation of how long it will take to convert the MPLM to PMM.

Offline Space Pete

« Reply #167 on: 11/04/2009 04:33 PM »
If you want to see the ESA-NASA Node 3 transfer ceremony live from the SSPF, you can do so on the following webcams (images will refresh every 45 seconds).

http://science.ksc.nasa.gov/shuttle/countdown/video/chan5large.jpg

http://science.ksc.nasa.gov/shuttle/countdown/video/chan12large.jpg

The ceremony will officially begin at 08:00pm UTC (per the following NASA press release).
www.nasa.gov/home/hqnews/2009/oct/HQ_M09-209_Tranquility_Ceremony.html
« Last Edit: 11/04/2009 04:45 PM by Space Pete »

Offline eeergo

• Phystronaut
  • Global Moderator
  • Milan, Italy; Spain; Virginia
  • Liked: 456
  • Likes Given: 357
« Reply #168 on: 11/23/2009 12:19 AM »

That's also the last info I could find on this site. I'm not sure whether it needs a reality check because there will only be about 4 1/2 months available between the time Leonardo returns from STS-131 and the time it is needed for STS-133. However there's no mention in the documentation of how long it will take to convert the MPLM to PMM.

I got some futher information about this issue: Leonardo is indeed the PLM of choice, but the part I hadn't heard of is the approach that is gonna be taken for its upgrades.

They're gonna send Leonardo up in STS-133 as is, and meanwhile Donatello's MMOD shielding will be in Italy (it's being removed and prepared right now) undergoing reinforcement with Kevlar blankets. Once that's done, and Leonardo is back in the SSPF, they'll change out the MPLM's respective shielding. Not sure what other modifications will need to be carried out, but this sounds like the most time-consuming. Swapping shielding will avoid having to wait for it to come back from space.

Some pictures regarding the present status of the MPLMs (first Donatello with most of its shielding removed, then Leonardo with Node 3 behind and finally another of Donatello with part of Raffaelo visible in the background):
« Last Edit: 11/23/2009 02:43 PM by eeergo »
-DaviD-

Offline wjbarnett

• Not enough time to do this
  • Liked: 20
  • Likes Given: 504
« Reply #169 on: 11/23/2009 03:18 PM »
Eeergo - when did you take your pics?
Here's a couple from Nov 17th, but I didn't get clear which MPLM is which.

Edit: in the bottom one, the MMOD shields are (still?) present on the module that your pics show without them
« Last Edit: 11/23/2009 03:28 PM by wjbarnett »
Jack
Twitter: wjackbarnett

Online DaveS

• Shuttle program observer
  • Sweden
  • Liked: 302
  • Likes Given: 13
« Reply #170 on: 11/23/2009 06:23 PM »

Edit: in the bottom one, the MMOD shields are (still?) present on the module that your pics show without them
According to the EXIF data in the images, the date was November 22 2009, IE yesterday.
"For Sardines, space is no problem!"
-1996 Astronaut class slogan

"We're rolling in the wrong direction but for the right reasons"
-USA engineer about the rollback of Discovery prior to the STS-114 Return To Flight mission

Offline cd-slam

• Singapore
« Reply #171 on: 11/23/2009 07:21 PM »
I got some futher information about this issue: Leonardo is indeed the PLM of choice, but the part I hadn't heard of is the approach that is gonna be taken for its upgrades.

They're gonna send Leonardo up in STS-133 as is, and meanwhile Donatello's MMOD shielding will be in Italy (it's being removed and prepared right now) undergoing reinforcement with Kevlar blankets. Once that's done, and Leonardo is back in the SSPF, they'll change out the MPLM's respective shielding. Not sure what other modifications will need to be carried out, but this sounds like the most time-consuming. Swapping shielding will avoid having to wait for it to come back from space.

Some pictures regarding the present status of the MPLMs (first Donatello with most of its shielding removed, then Leonardo with Node 3 behind and finally another of Donatello with part of Raffaelo visible in the background):
Thanks for the pics. Putting the 3 pics together gives a good idea of the remaining items in SSPF (ie not many left). May look a little better when MRM-1 arrives next month.

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
« Reply #172 on: 11/23/2009 07:24 PM »
May look a little better when MRM-1 arrives next month.

MRM is not going to the SSPF, it is going to the SPPF

Offline cd-slam

• Singapore
« Reply #173 on: 11/23/2009 09:49 PM »
Oh?! Not due to lack of space, obviously. :)

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
« Reply #174 on: 11/23/2009 10:04 PM »
Oh?! Not due to lack of space, obviously. :)

Cost and ease of access

Offline eeergo

• Phystronaut
  • Global Moderator
  • Milan, Italy; Spain; Virginia
  • Liked: 456
  • Likes Given: 357
« Reply #175 on: 11/26/2009 01:20 AM »

As DaveS said, they were taken the day before yesterday. The pics you posted show Leonardo, which is the one located close to Node3. It has all its shielding on because of its upcoming role in STS-131. To the left as seen from the vantage point the pictures were taken from, are Donatello (the one without shielding) and Raffaello (behind it)

One question about MRM-1: as I understand it, they will have to take it to the SSPF anyway for placement inside the payload canister. What advantages does its alternative processing location provide then?
-DaviD-

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
« Reply #176 on: 11/26/2009 01:08 PM »
What advantages does its alternative processing location provide then?

cost and ease of access to the facility.  Going into the can is only one day
« Last Edit: 11/26/2009 01:09 PM by Jim »

Offline psloss

« Reply #177 on: 03/15/2010 02:55 PM »
Looks like getting FM-2/Raffaello ready for a move to another location...

Offline MikeMi.

• Gd, Poland
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #178 on: 03/16/2010 12:01 AM »

Can it means that NASA is seriously considering makin a PMM from Rafaello instead of Leonardo?

Offline psloss

« Reply #179 on: 03/16/2010 10:10 AM »

Can it means that NASA is seriously considering makin a PMM from Rafaello instead of Leonardo?
It might, but it might not.  We haven't heard yet if the ISS program has made that decision.

It is being moved this morning to the work stand where Leonardo was before, which would allow for rack insertions, etc.
« Last Edit: 03/16/2010 10:12 AM by psloss »

Tags: