Author Topic: Alan Bean, Apollo Moonwalker and Artist, Dies at 86  (Read 4856 times)

Offline Steve G

• Regular
  • Edmonton, AB
    • Stephen H Garrity
  • Liked: 79
  • Likes Given: 4
Re: Alan Bean, Apollo Moonwalker and Artist, Dies at 86
« Reply #40 on: 05/30/2018 03:09 AM »
My Bad, the picture I posted earlier was of Pete taken by Al.  Here is a more recognizable picture, again with those nasty Reseau crosses removed

Online Comga

• Liked: 1490
  • Likes Given: 1224
« Reply #41 on: 05/30/2018 05:00 AM »
...has always seemed to me to encapsulate almost all that needs to be said on on this in a horribly sparse form.
https://xkcd.com/893/

We need to get to the point where we can't help but forget the names, not because they are a fading memory, but because there are so many of them.
And then there were four....
I missed Apollo 11, being overseas n a third world country at the time, so Apollo 12 was my chance to follow every detail, like all the previous missions.  What a thrill it was.  His Skylab 3 mission was also one of my favorites. 
Goodbye Captain Bean, and thank you.
What kind of wastrels would dump a perfectly good booster in the ocean after just one use?

Offline MATTBLAK

• Elite Veteran & 'J.A.F.A'
  • 'Space Cadets' Let us; UNITE!! (crickets chirping)
  • New Zealand
  • Liked: 1095
  • Likes Given: 2088
« Reply #42 on: 05/30/2018 05:33 AM »
Alan Bean's missions:

"Those who can't, Blog".   'Space Cadets' of the World - Let us UNITE!! (crickets chirping)

Online Blackstar

• Veteran
  • Liked: 2772
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #43 on: 07/10/2018 01:07 PM »
http://www.thespacereview.com/article/3531/1

The humble astronaut
by Dwayne A. Day
Monday, July 9, 2018

In October 1998, Alan Bean made an appearance at the National Archives in Washington, DC. He had a new book out, and this was part of his book tour. Bean gave a talk in the early evening. But it wasnít a typical Apollo moonwalker talk. Bean said that he was never that good a pilot, or a student. He was always in the middle of his class. The guy he looked up to was named Pete Conrad, who was at the top of his class and a great pilot. Bean also said that he wasnít one of the best astronauts. There were better ones, but he worked hard to master the tasks he was given. When he took up painting, he wasnít all that good either, although he improved with practice. Even then, in 1998, Bean did not think he was a great painter, about average he said. The reason he painted the Moon was because there were a lot of other people who could paint better than him, but none of them had been to the Moon, so he recognized his strengths and focused on that. But Bean admitted that he didnít quit, and the message he wanted to convey to the couple hundred people in the room was that you shouldnít quit. You donít have to be the best, you just have to not quit. Bean wasnít giving a motivational talk, nor was he bragging: he referred to himself as an ordinary guy who was lucky enough to walk on the Moon. Ordinary people can do extraordinary things.

Tags: