Author Topic: JSC's Saturn V preservation efforts  (Read 3692 times)

Offline Joey

• Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: JSC's Saturn V preservation efforts
« Reply #1 on: 01/05/2007 06:09 PM »
Fantastic! If there is one thing that I really hate seeing is a piece of history - be it a rocket, airplane, locomotive, automobile or anything, just sitting forlornly outside in the hot sun and driving rain, slowly corroding and decaying away.

Great job Melissa!

Offline NASA_Twix_JSC

• Supporting FDOs since 1999
  • Liked: 2
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #2 on: 01/06/2007 03:12 AM »
Bravo!

Offline dwmzmm

• Extreme Veteran
  • Far West Houston, TX
    • Challenger 498 NAR Section
« Reply #3 on: 01/06/2007 05:41 AM »
I've seen this Saturn (both before and after restoration) and can tell you, from my last visit in August 2006, that the Saturn - V looks like brand new once again...
Dave, NAR # 21853 SR.

Offline edkyle99

• Expert
    • Space Launch Report
  • Liked: 3610
  • Likes Given: 617
RE: JSC's Saturn V preservation efforts
« Reply #4 on: 01/06/2007 06:45 AM »
I'm very happy they restored this Saturn, but it is also a bit of a shame that people won't be able to see it and photograph it as easily as in the past.  I'm glad I saw it when it was still displayed outside about four years ago.

http://www.geocities.com/launchreport/saturn.html

- Ed Kyle

Offline sbt

• Veteran
« Reply #5 on: 01/06/2007 10:54 AM »
edkyle99 - 6/1/2007  7:28 AM
I'm very happy they restored this Saturn, but it is also a bit of a shame that people won't be able to see it and photograph it as easily as in the past.  I'm glad I saw it when it was still displayed outside about four years ago.
 - Ed Kyle

The issues are very similar (but on a much larger scale) to the ones the RAF faced a number of years ago with regard to Spitfire and Hurricane 'Gate Guardians'. These were priceless relics that were slowly disintegrating when kept outside on pylons etc.

The solution was to retire the actual airframes and commission a series of extremely high fidelity fibreglass replicas to replace the now-missing Gate Guardians.

I feel the 'solution' for Saturn V should be similar, the real thing under cover and available for close inspection and replicas outside to allow the sheer scale of the machinery to be appreciated properly. I leave it as an 'exercise for the reader' as to weather the replicas should be upright or horizontal and whether a horizontal version should be 'assembled' or separated into stages.

Rick
I am not interested in your political point scoring, Ad Hominem attacks, personal obsessions and vendettas. - No matter how cute and clever you may think your comments are.

Offline dwmzmm

• Extreme Veteran
  • Far West Houston, TX
« Reply #6 on: 01/06/2007 11:48 AM »
I can understand why you feel it's better for the Saturn - V (JSC) to remain uncovered; it certainly was a real eye catcher for any entering the main JSC gate
or just passing by on Saturn Blvd.  However, back in 2005, just as the restoration was about to get underway, a friend of mine who was heavily involved in
the restoration project, John Pursley, gave me an upclose, personal tour of the Saturn - V before access was pohibited to the public.  What I saw was exactly
what was mentioned in that article linked in post # 101171.  I could see through the corroded metal; plants were growing in various places, animals had nests
here and there, etc.  It was really sad and was obvious that saving this machine was definitely a race against time.  The new building the Saturn - V now
rests is air conditioned and just perfect to prevent hostile elements from affecting it again.
Dave, NAR # 21853 SR.

Offline astrobrian

• NSF Photographer
  • Austin Texas
  • Liked: 19
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #7 on: 01/06/2007 03:27 PM »
If one is to build a fiberglass replica of that magnitude, and have it assembled upright, a launch tower should be right there as well.

Offline simonbp

« Reply #8 on: 01/06/2007 04:27 PM »
astrobrian - 6/1/2007  10:10 AM

If one is to build a fiberglass replica of that magnitude, and have it assembled upright, a launch tower should be right there as well.

No launch tower, but impressive nonetheless. You can see it right across Huntsville...

Simon ;)

Offline dwmzmm

• Extreme Veteran
  • Far West Houston, TX
« Reply #9 on: 01/07/2007 01:10 PM »
simonbp - 6/1/2007  11:10 AM

astrobrian - 6/1/2007  10:10 AM

No launch tower, but impressive nonetheless. You can see it right across Huntsville...

Simon ;)

Is that a full size replica or slightly scaled down?  And, how do they have it anchored so it doesn't risk tilting?
Dave, NAR # 21853 SR.

Offline simonbp

« Reply #10 on: 01/08/2007 01:00 AM »
dwmzmm - 7/1/2007  7:53 AM

Is that a full size replica or slightly scaled down?  And, how do they have it anchored so it doesn't risk tilting?

It's full size (except for the LAS, which is slightly wider, so that a brave soul can change the aircraft beacon on top), and is totally internally braced and mounted on a very large concrete base. The (real) Saturn I next to it, though, has quite a few anchor cables...

Simon ;)

Offline spacedreams

« Reply #11 on: 01/08/2007 04:38 PM »
I am very happy about the restoration but I wish more thought would have gone into the shelter. It literally looks like a trailer. Obviously, the effort was outstanding but I just wish there were more windows.

Offline collectSPACE

• The Source for Space History & Artifacts
  • Houston, TX
    • collectSPACE
  • Liked: 246
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #12 on: 01/08/2007 04:48 PM »
It is a "temporary" building. From our article following an American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics event with Jee Skavdahl, Project Manager for Conservation Solutions, Inc., the company retained by the Smithsonian to conduct the restoration:

"Its a temporary building for 10 years," replied Skavdahl to an AIAA member's question. "But I have been told, from various sources, that NASA has temporary buildings that have been here for 30 years, so I really don't know how long this building will remain. There are rumors of a convention center being built. There are rumors of an expansion to the [temporary] building. There was a rumor that they were going to paint a mural of the Saturn V rocket going down a whole side of the building, but that was going to cost half of a million dollars, so I don't think that is going to happen."
If a local fund raising effort can be re-started and is successful, then a more KSC-like tourist-friendly building was/is the eventual plan.

Offline Dana

• Regular
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #13 on: 01/09/2007 06:46 AM »
sbt - 6/1/2007  3:37 AM

edkyle99 - 6/1/2007  7:28 AM
 - Ed Kyle

The issues are very similar (but on a much larger scale) to the ones the RAF faced a number of years ago with regard to Spitfire and Hurricane 'Gate Guardians'. These were priceless relics that were slowly disintegrating when kept outside on pylons etc.

The solution was to retire the actual airframes and commission a series of extremely high fidelity fibreglass replicas to replace the now-missing Gate Guardians.

That was a great idea, that program. Me, I always find airplanes impaled on poles ("jetsickles," "plane-kabobs") extremely depressing, especially if it is a rare airplane or it's in a bad environment for preservation. I don't like the idea of the HL-10 and sole remaining NF-104A being on outdoor display at Edwards/Dryden, for example, but at least the dry climate of the Mojave Desert is pretty good to the airframes. Can't say that about many places in England, or even here in my neck of the woods in the Pacific Northwest. The one thing I never liked about the airport at Lewiston, ID, for example, is that poor old T-33 they have pickled and stuck on a pylon out front. In the Southeast, years ago, there was a big controversy about how they almost let the famed B-17 "Memphis Belle" rot away until the USAF Museum (I think) finally got hold of it.

It's kind of sad how NASA and the armed services in the USA seem to think remembering their history involves sticking airplanes on poles and setting up old launch vehicles with guy wires and then pretty much just letting 'em rot. We have the Tailhook and USAF Heritage Flight programs at airshows with selected Warbird pilots, but I just wish the USAF had something in-house like the RAF has with the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight. Maybe run out of the USAF Test Pilot School (which often contracts civilian owned Warbirds to be evaluated by students anyway).

The best part about that fiberglass-gate-guard situation in the UK, though, is that some of the real airplanes the replicas replaced are now fully restored and actually flying again!
"Don't play dumb with me! You're not as good at it as I am!"-Col. Flagg

"'Second Place' is just the first loser."-Bobby Allison

Offline zerm

• Hypergolic cartoonist
    • Klyde Morris dot com
  • Liked: 32
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #14 on: 01/09/2007 11:03 AM »
Just read a piece on aero-news.net where the USAF and CIA are making moves to re-claim the YF-12 from the Minnesota Air National Guard Museum and kabob it in front of CIA HQ.

Although I too hate to see rockets out wasting away, I sort of think that restoring and flying a Saturn V would be a one time deal ;-))

Of course I'd be there to see the launch.

The Saturn V Center at KSC is fantastic, but they really need to get AS-209 in out of the park and make a building for it too. Vertical would be nice. Oh how we dream...

Tags: