Author Topic: LSAM configurations  (Read 3156 times)

Online Kaputnik

• Extreme Veteran
  • Liked: 448
  • Likes Given: 384
LSAM configurations
« on: 11/09/2006 10:29 AM »
I was wondering what people's thoughts on different possibilities for the LSAM were (I know some of this has been discussed in the LockMart Landers thread but felt it needed a specific thread). There are so many different possibilities- cryo propellant, storable propellant, 'lunar crasher' stages, etc etc. To what extent has the design been finalised by NASA? Is it possible that there will be a COTS-type competition in the future?
Waiting for joy and raptor

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
  • Cape Canaveral Spaceport
  • Liked: 9637
  • Likes Given: 299
Re: LSAM configurations
« Reply #1 on: 11/09/2006 11:16 AM »
NASA hasn't even started looking at the LSAM again.  They have enough on the plate with CEV and CLV and still flying shuttle and ISS.  Don't look for anything LSAM type for a few years

the COTS competition model wouldn't work for this vehicle.  NASA won't own any of the COTS for ISS.

Offline hektor

• Liked: 25
  • Likes Given: 2
Re: LSAM configurations
« Reply #2 on: 11/09/2006 12:15 PM »
I doubt that there are that many different options. Once Orion is fixed as well as both Ares, the freedom on the LSAM mass and performance is limited. I am not sure that for instance you can switch that easily from cryo to storable for the descent stage without putting the whole architecture at risk.

Tags: