Author Topic: Apollo 17 Lunar Launch - photo control from JSC  (Read 765 times)

Offline Yeknom-Ecaps

• Liked: 4
  • Likes Given: 0
Apollo 17 Lunar Launch - photo control from JSC
« on: 01/04/2018 05:15 PM »
I'm very interested in the iconic video of the Apollo 17 lunar lift off. Ed Fendell, sitting in Houston, manipulated the camera on the moon, which sent video back to Earth. That, to me, is incredible. There are several newspaper and magazine articles about it, so the basics are easy to track down. But what those articles don't tell you is what happened on the tech side of things. The connection between the camera and Houston wasn't direct so what route did the signal take?

For example -
Which DSS station was communicating with Apollo 17 at the time of the lift off from the moon?
Were other tracking/support sites involved in the transmission to JCS?  NASCOM station? COMSAT station? go through Goddard SFC?

Any thoughts/help appreciated.

Offline the_other_Doug

• Minneapolis, MN
  • Liked: 1785
  • Likes Given: 3387
Re: Apollo 17 Lunar Launch - photo control from JSC
« Reply #1 on: 01/04/2018 08:28 PM »
I'm very interested in the iconic video of the Apollo 17 lunar lift off. Ed Fendell, sitting in Houston, manipulated the camera on the moon, which sent video back to Earth. That, to me, is incredible. There are several newspaper and magazine articles about it, so the basics are easy to track down. But what those articles don't tell you is what happened on the tech side of things. The connection between the camera and Houston wasn't direct so what route did the signal take?

For example -
Which DSS station was communicating with Apollo 17 at the time of the lift off from the moon?
Were other tracking/support sites involved in the transmission to JCS?  NASCOM station? COMSAT station? go through Goddard SFC?

Any thoughts/help appreciated.

IIRC, all transmissions to and from what was then the Manned Spacecraft Center (MSC) came through Goddard SFC in Maryland.  Where they fed into Goddard for retransmission to MSC, I can't tell you off the top of my head.  But I do know that the DSN dishes communicated via synchronous comsats back to Maryland.  So, I bet it was down to whichever DSN dish was primary, up to one of the then-current comsats, down to Goddard, and then a final step via microwave links and coax cables from Maryland to Texas.
-Doug  (With my shield, not yet upon it)

Tags: