Author Topic: "Spaceflight for Dummies" primer  (Read 665 times)

Offline wh1988

• Michigan
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
"Spaceflight for Dummies" primer
« on: 12/27/2017 05:40 AM »
Hello, everyone. Longtime lurker/reader, first time posting on this forum.

I'm not sure how often this has come up (I've been a casual follower since 2013 and if Jim has any input I know to listen to him), but here is my situation. I want to help expose the more people to the wonders of spaceflight in a way that doesn't involve them downloading Kerbal Space Program or reading Winchell Chung's Atomic Rockets website (not to disparage either source, please bear with me). What I'm interested in is hardcopy, technically accurate books that my local library can keep in stock that are easy to understand without being too dumbed down. Not looking for exercises involving the reader to calculate the Delta-V needed for a 220 ton SSTB (Single Stage To Belt) Mission, mind you (and I have been asked what it would take to go from Earth to the Asteroid Belt and many people who ask me who aren't familiar with staging and such ask why we can't just fly direct to Mars or the Belt if we made it to Luna in 1969), but I am wondering if there is what amounts to a "spaceflight for dummies" set of books that I can point people to, with hardcopy books being preferred so I can make sure my local libraries have them (if only as archival copies).

Sorry if I'm a bit rambly here. I'm dead tired and on my way to bed.

Offline Oersted

• Liked: 447
  • Likes Given: 264
Re: "Spaceflight for Dummies" primer
« Reply #1 on: 12/27/2017 08:33 PM »
I just got this one for my kids for Christmas and can recommend it:

"Rocket Science" by Andrew Rader:

www.andrew-rader.com

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1734237858/rocket-science

https://www.amazon.com/Rocket-Science-Andrew-Rader/dp/0578198363/

Offline wh1988

• Michigan