Author Topic: Logging SpaceTime  (Read 352 times)

Offline RedTail48

• Australia
  • Liked: 24
  • Likes Given: 0
Logging SpaceTime
« on: 12/15/2017 09:39 PM »
Hi,

This is a not technical subject!

I'm curious as to how astronauts log their flights in their Pilot's Flying Logbook. Usually, entries consist of: Date, A/C Registration, Sector Dep-Dest details, Day Time, Night Time, and any Instrument Time. The Day & Night Time may be logged as Pilot-in-Command, Co-Pilot Time, or a passengering time if being pedantic and keeping a record of dead-heading). For Recency Requirements, a note should also be kept as to whether the Takeoff and landing were Day or Night.

Command Time counts as 100% for Aeronautical Experience, Co-Pilot Time as 50%.

So for a Shuttle Flight I can see many of the above being obvious, but how about keeping track of Day/Night Times during Earth Orbit? On an Apollo flight, I guess time behind the Moon is Night!

An Apollo flight = two sectors for the Moon landees but one sector for the CMP who doesn't?!

I can see it as totally valid to log a Moon landing or a Shuttle landing as such, but how moral is logging a return under a parachute as a Day or Night Landing ?

Did folks flying on the Shuttle, and not in one of the two Hot-Seats, log time as Dead-Heading?

The more I think about the complications of this, as Monty Python would say, "My Head Aches..."

Or maybe it is just left to the individual to make an appropriate entry in their normal Logbook, as they see fit, and look at it with a special sense of humour as to the unusual values on the entry.....

Any astronauts out there - help!

Offline Phil Stooke

• Canada
  • Liked: 211
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Logging SpaceTime
« Reply #1 on: 12/15/2017 11:13 PM »
« Last Edit: 12/15/2017 11:14 PM by Phil Stooke »

Tags: