Author Topic: FIRST Lego League 2018-2019 Theme: "Into Orbit"  (Read 489 times)

Online SkipMorrow

I don't know if any of you are associated with FIRST Lego League (FLL). It's a really cool program that gets kids in grades 4-8 interested in robotics, with a very strong focus on core values. It is a global organization with thousands of teams. Each year there is a theme, which also drives a project that each team must do. This year's theme was "hydrodynamics". The kids were challenged to think of a problem related to the human water cycle and to come up with an innovative solution to that problem.

This is where you all come in. Next year's them is "Into Orbit":

++++++++++++++
Hey FIRST LEGO League Teams! Are you ready to go INTO ORBIT (SM) in 2018-2019? The new theme has been announced, with a video teaser due out at the end of this month.

Please see below.....

INTO ORBIT (SM)
THEME: Explore living in and traveling through space

Coming August 2018

Gather your crew and get ready to explore, challenge and innovate in the demanding and inspiring expanse we call space! The 2018/2019 FIRST LEGO League season requires you to work together to break out of your earthly constraints. Do you have what it takes to go INTO ORBIT (SM)?

FIRST LEGO League challenges children ages 9 to 16* to think like scientists and engineers. During the 2018/2019 INTO ORBIT season, teams will choose and solve a real-world problem in the Project. They will also build, test, and program an autonomous robot using LEGO MINDSTORMS technology to solve a set of missions in the Robot Game. Throughout their experience, teams will operate under Core Values celebrating discovery, teamwork, and Gracious Professionalism.
+++++++++++++++

What I am doing now is letting folks know in the space industry that this is the theme next year. We do not know the specifics of what the challenge will be, but it will obviously be related to human space flight. Perhaps you know a team and would like to let them know that you can be available as a consultant? If you don't know of any teams, then watch this space for questions from teams looking for an expert. I am hoping that I can let the teams in the Norfolk area of Virginia that I know how to get a hold of space experts that can perhaps help their teams out. Things like that.

Nothing will really happen until next fall, right around the beginning of the school year. But if you want to start talking with your local teams, I am sure they would appreciate it.

Finally, I would encourage you to consider coaching a team. It is very rewarding and a lot of fun watching their creativity and enthusiasm in action.

Offline jmcgauley

Re: FIRST Lego League 2018-2019 Theme: "Into Orbit"
« Reply #1 on: 12/05/2017 12:53 PM »
That's wonderful! I've been an FLL project judge at our state tournament (in Fort Wayne, Indiana) for 14 years. Our event is this weekend. Looks like I'll need to hang around for year 15!

Online SkipMorrow

« Reply #2 on: 12/05/2017 01:58 PM »
I'm sure there will be some interesting projects that come your way next year.

Fort Wayne? Wow, that brings back memories. I graduated from Paul Harding High in *cough* 1983 *cough*.

By the way, thank you for volunteering as a judge. It means a lot to the kids.

Offline Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
  • A large LEGO storage facility ... in Michigan
  • Liked: 5408
  • Likes Given: 3565
« Reply #3 on: 12/05/2017 04:21 PM »
FLL is awesome. A lot of my LEGO pals are involved as team coaches, resources, judges, officials, organizers, you name it. Most LEGO cons have some FLL demo activity. Especially BrickWorld which has a show in Indy and in Ft Wayne.

What is great about FLL is that in addition to being done with LEGO elements (how cool is that!!!) it is a great bridge to FIRST where the robots are bigger (not made of LEGO any more) and the competitions tougher.

Normally mention of LEGO means "entertainment and hobbies" but this is STEM, so.. probably OK here I think.
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY

Tags: