Author Topic: The Hub, the Rock and The Ring: a novel about asteroid miners.  (Read 139 times)

Offline mikelepage

I've been writing a sci-fi novel about asteroid miners in my spare time (preview of first 6 chapters attached).  I'm aiming for a version of science fiction in which the tech is plausible, knowing what we know today, while still keeping the story focussed on people.  The first 6 chapters have a lot to cover conceptually though, so I'm curious to see how this audience reacts.  I'd be glad for any constructive criticism.  Also an Advisory: story contains occasional adult language.

As a bit of background, those of you who have seen my posts here know my interests include solving medical problems through implementation of spin gravity, closed-loop life-support (eco)systems, and also facilitating human space travel through an "asteroid transit network" of "stepping stone" colonies, which would allow humans to spend years travelling the solar system whilst being (mostly) passively shielded from radiation.  I'm also assuming BFR reuse allows an exponential increase in human spaceflight as projected by SpaceX. 

I see the Moon and Mars bases as the long poles of the tent, but I want to advocate a view of solar system settlement far broader than just Moon/Mars colonies.  It should also be one where - because of an exponential increase in use of Earthspace# in 2020s-2030s - the 2030s-2050s see hundreds and then thousands of asteroids (mainly Apollos) become utilised as resource bases for "stepping stone" colonies which orbit them. 

These carbonaceous Apollo asteroid "stepping stones" are chosen specifically 1) for their potential for ISRU Methalox prop generation (buried water ice & dry ice), but also 2) their orbital alignment/rendezvous opportunities with main-belt "anchor" asteroids of interest.  I imagine that by the time we're ready to visit main-belt asteroids, we will have an asteroid transit network of prop depots with passive radiation shielding to take us there.

#I'm using the term "Earthspace" in the novel, because the term "cis-lunar space" literally implies the space within the orbit of the moon, when that's not really the defining factor.  What really determines the length of your voyage (days/weeks vs years) is whether you leave Earth's gravitational influence or not, and Earth's hill sphere extends far beyond the moon.

Tags: