Author Topic: Yahoo Groups, Etc.  (Read 912 times)

Offline edkyle99

• Expert
    • Space Launch Report
  • Liked: 3604
  • Likes Given: 616
Yahoo Groups, Etc.
« on: 12/01/2017 05:17 PM »
Yahoo Groups are down or degraded for the past week or more, according to some reports.  I don't use Groups much any more, but I once did and many still depend on them.  This reminds me to fiercely appreciate what Chris has provided. 

Don't take it for granted!  Anything on the Internet - including massive two decade-old collections of photos, files, and discussions covering thousands upon thousands of topics, can vanish in an instant.

- Ed Kyle

Offline brickmack

• USA
  • Liked: 79
  • Likes Given: 9
Re: Yahoo Groups, Etc.
« Reply #1 on: 12/01/2017 10:13 PM »
This sort of thing is why I take such an obsessive approach to archival and note-taking. Websites just aren't reliable. NTRS already lost a bunch of stuff in that China thing, "sensitive" stuff have been taken down from reddit and twitter and such before, many corporate/government websites are dead or reorganized, plus loads of stuff just sitting on random 90s-era sites that get 5 visits a year and could go offline at any moment, or on "internal" project websites that could go down as soon as they realize its publicly accessible or as soon as the project ends. At best, you might have a handful of users who may have a fraction of a percent of the content from a given site saved, probably none of which will make an effort at restoring its accessibility. Yes, keeping terabytes of storage on hand is kinda pricey, but I can't trust other users to do this, and places like Archive.org don't get everything (certainly not paywalled content). Sucks to say, but in 20 years, I'd be surprised if this site still exists, and I've no intention of losing that resource

Plus its more searchable that way anyway. I can find, in <5 clicks, pretty much anything even out of tens of thousands of documents and images (though it is quite time consuming to sort everything initially). Google isn't that good, not for very specific searches in very niche topics, and site-specific searches are usually worse

It'd be neat if there was something like bittorrent but for hosting entire websites, it'd be almost impossible for a site to go down permanently if its "seeded" by thousands of volunteers. Plus your hosting costs disappear

Online catdlr

• Marina del Rey, California, USA
  • Liked: 1487
  • Likes Given: 920
« Reply #2 on: 12/01/2017 11:20 PM »
Yahoo Groups are down or degraded for the past week or more, according to some reports.  I don't use Groups much any more, but I once did and many still depend on them.  This reminds me to fiercely appreciate what Chris has provided. 

Don't take it for granted!  Anything on the Internet - including massive two decade-old collections of photos, files, and discussions covering thousands upon thousands of topics, can vanish in an instant.

- Ed Kyle

Ed, Your so right.  Anything I see or post on NSF that came from YouTube (or some other media site) that I like to keep I also download and store my multiple sets of HD backups.  You can call me "obsessive backupus"
Tony De La Rosa

Online deruch

• California
  • Liked: 1186
  • Likes Given: 1694
« Reply #3 on: 12/02/2017 12:54 AM »
This sort of thing is why I take such an obsessive approach to archival and note-taking. Websites just aren't reliable. NTRS already lost a bunch of stuff in that China thing, "sensitive" stuff have been taken down from reddit and twitter and such before, many corporate/government websites are dead or reorganized, plus loads of stuff just sitting on random 90s-era sites that get 5 visits a year and could go offline at any moment, or on "internal" project websites that could go down as soon as they realize its publicly accessible or as soon as the project ends. At best, you might have a handful of users who may have a fraction of a percent of the content from a given site saved, probably none of which will make an effort at restoring its accessibility. Yes, keeping terabytes of storage on hand is kinda pricey, but I can't trust other users to do this, and places like Archive.org don't get everything (certainly not paywalled content). Sucks to say, but in 20 years, I'd be surprised if this site still exists, and I've no intention of losing that resource

Plus its more searchable that way anyway. I can find, in <5 clicks, pretty much anything even out of tens of thousands of documents and images (though it is quite time consuming to sort everything initially). Google isn't that good, not for very specific searches in very niche topics, and site-specific searches are usually worse

It'd be neat if there was something like bittorrent but for hosting entire websites, it'd be almost impossible for a site to go down permanently if its "seeded" by thousands of volunteers. Plus your hosting costs disappear

Someone's a Silicon Valley watcher, or they should be.
Shouldn't reality posts be in "Advanced concepts"?  --Nomadd

Offline Archibald

• Liked: 220
  • Likes Given: 593
« Reply #4 on: 12/04/2017 02:08 PM »
Burn Photobucket, burn. Burn in hell. 

The Internet archive is an amazing resource for dead websites.

This sort of thing is why I take such an obsessive approach to archival and note-taking.

Everything I collected over the last decade is stored in my portable HD, with copies in my current computer, in an old USB drive, in my old SD card, in my former computer PC tower, and finally, in my mom computer 100 miles away.

Even if a nuke or an asteroid strike my town, my data will survive (hopefully).  :o   (except an EMP pulse...)
« Last Edit: 12/04/2017 02:14 PM by Archibald »

Online catdlr

• Marina del Rey, California, USA
  • Liked: 1487
  • Likes Given: 920
« Reply #5 on: 12/05/2017 04:43 AM »
Burn Photobucket, burn. Burn in hell. 

The Internet archive is an amazing resource for dead websites.

This sort of thing is why I take such an obsessive approach to archival and note-taking.

Everything I collected over the last decade is stored in my portable HD, with copies in my current computer, in an old USB drive, in my old SD card, in my former computer PC tower, and finally, in my mom computer 100 miles away.

Even if a nuke or an asteroid strike my town, my data will survive (hopefully).  :o   (except an EMP pulse...)

Your worse than I am.  Good fo you.
Tony De La Rosa

Offline watermod

• Liked: 94
  • Likes Given: 109
« Reply #6 on: 12/06/2017 04:39 AM »
You could just support The Way Back Machine.
https://archive.org/web/

Online Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
  • A large LEGO storage facility ... in Michigan
  • Liked: 5393
  • Likes Given: 3565
« Reply #7 on: 12/06/2017 09:18 AM »
You could just support The Way Back Machine.
https://archive.org/web/
The issue there is that it doesn't archive stuff behind paywalls all that well...
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY

Tags: